Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

Buses and 3 Scooters

My sisters and I are planning a trip together in Jan. Here is our problem, I have a brace from a bad ankle break and cannot walk on it for any length of time, so I require a scooter, my older sister has very bad hips and must also have a scooter. My middle sister was diagnosed with cancer that is now in her bones she cannot do too much walking or have too much stress on her body so I want her to also use a Scooter. So we will be a sight traveling through Disney via our Scooters. What concerns me is the Scooter capacity on the buses. Will 2 of us be able to board and 1 have to travel on another bus? Has anyone traveled with multiple scooters? We are staying at the Pop and we are not renting a car so the buses will be our sole means of transportation. Any suggestions or thoughts?
WildabouttheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildabouttheMouse View Post
My sisters and I are planning a trip together in Jan. Here is our problem, I have a brace from a bad ankle break and cannot walk on it for any length of time, so I require a scooter, my older sister has very bad hips and must also have a scooter. My middle sister was diagnosed with cancer that is now in her bones she cannot do too much walking or have too much stress on her body so I want her to also use a Scooter. So we will be a sight traveling through Disney via our Scooters. What concerns me is the Scooter capacity on the buses. Will 2 of us be able to board and 1 have to travel on another bus? Has anyone traveled with multiple scooters? We are staying at the Pop and we are not renting a car so the buses will be our sole means of transportation. Any suggestions or thoughts?
They have a few that can handle three but most of the time you will have to split up and take two buses the driver will call for another bus so the other person won't have to wait to long. Traveling with three might mean more then one bus because if the bus pulls up and can only take one then another shows up and can only take one then that will be three buses. They are getting bigger buses but not sure if they will hold more then two ECV but they will be able to hold a lot more people freeing up other buses to be able to handle the three quicker. Their adding bus stops to mk to handle the new buses and pop is one of the routes they will be putting these bus on since their high impact routes and these buses can handle the load of two regular buses can. Disney and their drivers will work very hard to get all three of you to your destination as quickly and as safely they can so please don't worry I would have meeting points. Because if two get on the first bus then the third will be along shortly so if you have a set meeting point it be better when you meet up.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Before we started spending 6 months in Florida when we stayed in hotels if my dad was with us it was my 2 daughters in wheelchairs and my dad in his scooter. They have a bus that can hold 10 wheelchairs if they need it but if you don't want to split up you can tell them to send a bus with 3 spots and they will.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Bete
DIS Veteran

I think your best plan may be to rent one scooter in the parks. This person will have to make it to and from the parks and resorts on their own. You still may be taking a chance if there's someone ahead of you in line then they will have a spot before you even with two scooters for the bus.

You should probably avoid peak times. You will have a better chance of getting on the bus with two scooters.

I do believe you can get some type of special accommodations for travel on a separate vehicle as stated in the previous post. I don't know how you make these accommodations, but guest services should be able to help you. I will say I think this could be a longer wait especially coming back to your resort.

You may want to call Disney and see what they say and what they can do for your situation.

If you are staying in the same room you may have problems getting three scooters in the same room. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that at POP.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I think your best plan may be to rent one scooter in the parks. This person will have to make it to and from the parks and resorts on their own. You still may be taking a chance if there's someone ahead of you in line then they will have a spot before you even with two scooters for the bus.

You should probably avoid peak times. You will have a better chance of getting on the bus with two scooters.

I do believe you can get some type of special accommodations for travel on a separate vehicle as stated in the previous post. I don't know how you make these accommodations, but guest services should be able to help you. I will say I think this could be a longer wait especially coming back to your resort.

You may want to call Disney and see what they say and what they can do for your situation.

If you are staying in the same room you may have problems getting three scooters in the same room. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that at POP.
You will have to wait to ask the driver to call for another bus or if your at the resort to can use the phone at the stop. Then press zero and ask to be transferred to transportation buses and let them know they my be able to send the three ecv bus of at least know they have to send two buses to the stop. At the parks I would go up to the transportation booth and speak to them they can be able to help you. Or wait to the bus shows up and talk to the driver guest service won't be able to help because they don't have schedule bus routes so they can say the 3 bus will be the 3 ecv bus it better for you and Disney to wait to you need the bus so you get it in a timely manor.

You are right I would stay away from peak times and no matter what do not go after park closing.

Op a little tip not sure where in each park the aoa stop is I think it close to pop in mk. Of their a bus waiting for aoa and pop two can go on the pop bus and third can go on the aoa bus and once you get to aoa just go over to pop. It my take a little longer but it my Dave you some time in the long run.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post

The good thing is my daughters are coming too, they are 23 and 17, and we have 2 rooms, so they know that one of our scooters will be charging there. We are calling it Sisters Disney Trip 2014.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
You will have to wait to ask the driver to call for another bus or if your at the resort to can use the phone at the stop. Then press zero and ask to be transferred to transportation buses and let them know they my be able to send the three ecv bus of at least know they have to send two buses to the stop. At the parks I would go up to the transportation booth and speak to them they can be able to help you. Or wait to the bus shows up and talk to the driver guest service won't be able to help because they don't have schedule bus routes so they can say the 3 bus will be the 3 ecv bus it better for you and Disney to wait to you need the bus so you get it in a timely manor.

You are right I would stay away from peak times and no matter what do not go after park closing.

Op a little tip not sure where in each park the aoa stop is I think it close to pop in mk. Of their a bus waiting for aoa and pop two can go on the pop bus and third can go on the aoa bus and once you get to aoa just go over to pop. It my take a little longer but it my Dave you some time in the long run.
That is great advice, thank you very much.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is great advice, thank you very much.
Your welcome another tip tone able to see if the bus can hold three ecv. Look at he window next to the back door and if you make out stickers on the bottom then those are the signs letting guest know that the tie down points are under those seats. If you just see stickers towards the top of the window then it a bus that cm only take two. Their are a few not many that can take four but I have never seen them in action.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
They have a few that can handle three but most of the time you will have to split up and take two buses the driver will call for another bus so the other person won't have to wait to long. Traveling with three might mean more then one bus because if the bus pulls up and can only take one then another shows up and can only take one then that will be three buses. They are getting bigger buses but not sure if they will hold more then two ECV but they will be able to hold a lot more people freeing up other buses to be able to handle the three quicker. Their adding bus stops to mk to handle the new buses and pop is one of the routes they will be putting these bus on since their high impact routes and these buses can handle the load of two regular buses can. Disney and their drivers will work very hard to get all three of you to your destination as quickly and as safely they can so please don't worry I would have meeting points. Because if two get on the first bus then the third will be along shortly so if you have a set meeting point it be better when you meet up.
I saw them adding the additional bus stops when we were there in June. That trip was the easiest since I destroyed my ankle 2 years ago. We went with my SIL and BIL as well as my hubby. We rented a car and I had a portable scooter. I am the Disney Veteran on this trip, this is my middle sisters 1st trip and I really want to make sure she has a great time. We have to Jan to figure out the logistics.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

I never knew you could call and request anything with the buses. Good to know.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I saw them adding the additional bus stops when we were there in June. That trip was the easiest since I destroyed my ankle 2 years ago. We went with my SIL and BIL as well as my hubby. We rented a car and I had a portable scooter. I am the Disney Veteran on this trip, this is my middle sisters 1st trip and I really want to make sure she has a great time. We have to Jan to figure out the logistics.
Yes the first trip always the best we have to wait and see on the new buses. How they configure the seats because the bus has more wheels wells and bend in the middle. Plus I think these buses will have to be loaded in the through the front door because of how big the bus is. And since they have three sets of doors not sure they could tilt the bus to get it to be able to load through the back door like the regular buses.

Here a video of them testing the bus on the mk to pop route just see how far they are from the driver. This was a bus given to Disney by nova to test and see if they like so it might be different like the seats set up once put in service.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YIhonnshxVk

Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I never knew you could call and request anything with the buses. Good to know.
If you go to the FAQ section and look up buses I think sue has the number to the transportation department. You could call ahead of time and talk to them and see what they have to say.

Also if you ever have a problem and hope you don't you can use those phones and ask to be transferred to a transportation busses manager.

Or if a bus pulls up and even if you don't want it you could ask that driver to call on and let them know they have three waiting. May be they could start the second bus earlier or at least have a heads up.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

My main goal is to make this a great trip for my sister. She has been through so much in her life. I know it sounds silly, but to me Disney is such a magical place, I want her to see it through my eyes and let her be a kid again and forget life's hardships if only for this 1 week. My husband wants my kids to get pictures of the 3 of us on these scooters. I know that the entire clan will get a kick out them. 3 witches on our electric brooms.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
disney david
DIS Veteran

I hope you all have a great time and enjoy your trip by the time you all go hopefully be ret of fantasyland will be open.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: