DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Combining Direct and Resale

I am assuming this can be done?

I am probably looking at BCV, now I understand that I would have to get on a wait list to buy direct.

But if I find a small contract I want on the resale market, can I then buy another contract direct, and have them be one account? (I assume DVC can match the UY)

Or if I buy direct first, then find a resale one (with a matching UY) can that be one account?

Any caveats?

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Yes it can be done. My first contract was a resale. As it was my first contract, the contract number has extension ".000". Later, I purchased 3 direct contracts. Unless you specifically request a different UY and purchase enough points for a new master contract, Disney will sell you the same UY, title it the same as your existing contract, give it the same base contract number and increment the contract's extension number. My three direct contracts have the same base contract number as my first (resale) contract with extensions ".001", ".002" and ".003".

If I were to purchase another resale and wanted it set up as another "add on", I would need to purchase the same UY and have it titled EXACTLY the same as my existing contracts. I would also make sure the resale broker noted in my paperwork that I wanted it set up as an add-on to my existing contracts.
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
I am assuming this can be done?

Any caveats?
1) you still would not be able to combine pts from both contracts for disney collection trades outside of DVC - resale pts still could not be used for cruises or wdw hotels like the poly

2) IMO direct is still too expensive to be a good option unless you buy a larger resale initially and want a very small (75 pts or fewer) contract as an add-on, in which case you will be paying a premium regardless and smaller resale contracts can be tough to find.

Last edited by chalee94; 07-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

1 - Understood (direct vs. resale points). I have my direct points in my VGF contract.

2 - I agree, and exactly why I asked, the idea being a possible small add on

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

We have 16 contracts at 6 different resorts, some direct, some resale all the same UY and titled the same. All 16 contracts are listed in our account and are available as a choice when booking online.

Bill

Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
We have 16 contracts at 6 different resorts, some direct, some resale all the same UY and titled the same. All 16 contracts are listed in our account and are available as a choice when booking online.

Bill
WOW... so many!!! That's so cool!! So when you combine points to use the Disney Collection is that because you're under the "Grandfather Claus?" = ANY points purchased BEFORE MARCH 2011

This is what we do for VGC and or DLR hotels ALL the time for 7 month OR less reservations!! We can go at any given day without the hassles of MAJOR travel!!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
WOW... so many!!! That's so cool!! So when you combine points to use the Disney Collection is that because you're under the "Grandfather Claus?" = ANY points purchased BEFORE MARCH 2011

This is what we do for VGC and or DLR hotels ALL the time for 7 month OR less reservations!! We can go at any given day without the hassles of MAJOR travel!!
We could combine for the Disney collection but we don't because we only use our points for DVC stays for the best value. For us the resale restrictions are meaningless even though all of our contracts our unrestricted.

Bill

Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, it's convenient to be able to use points at the other DL resorts when VGC is booked, but the point charts are really high. Just something anyone out there lurking should know.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke
Or if I buy direct first, then find a resale one (with a matching UY) can that be one account?

Any caveats?
We did this (bought direct first then added on resale - same use year). I was pretty nervous about getting the resale contract added on to the same master contract for combining points at 7 months - I read it had to be titled exactly the same. But it all went fine and our resale points are combinable with our directs at 7 months just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Yes, it's convenient to be able to use points at the other DL resorts when VGC is booked, but the point charts are really high. Just something anyone out there lurking should know.
That's why my advice for buying DIRECT is mostly for So Cal Locals such as myself! Whenever my friends (all locals & some have AP's) enquire
about buying into DVC I strongly suggest they BUY DIRECT if possible BECAUSE we are SO CLOSE anyway! Points maybe on the higher end BUT SO worth it when it can go hand in hand with your AP PLUS NO NEED to fly or drive long distance!! Also if in the villa save $$ with your own food/drinks!!
It adds up to MANY happy times @ DLR for staycations!! Life is short so enjoy while you can!! DVC - NO REGRETS!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's why my advice for buying DIRECT is mostly for So Cal Locals such as myself! Whenever my friends (all locals & some have AP's) enquire
about buying into DVC I strongly suggest they BUY DIRECT if possible BECAUSE we are SO CLOSE anyway! Points maybe on the higher end BUT SO worth it when it can go hand in hand with your AP PLUS NO NEED to fly or drive long distance!! Also if in the villa save $$ with your own food/drinks!!
It adds up to MANY happy times @ DLR for staycations!! Life is short so enjoy while you can!! DVC - NO REGRETS!!!
I don't understand why that translates to buying direct. We bought our VGC points resale.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I don't understand why that translates to buying direct. We bought our VGC points resale.
I believe the point was that normally there is not a lot of availability after the 7 month window so if you like planning short range trips than having direct points allows you to stay at the hotels instead of the DVC property while resale points do not allow you to use them at the hotel if VGC are unavailable.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post

I believe the point was that normally there is not a lot of availability after the 7 month window so if you like planning short range trips than having direct points allows you to stay at the hotels instead of the DVC property while resale points do not allow you to use them at the hotel if VGC are unavailable.
Ok but wouldn't it make more sense to buy at VGC and book at 11 months then resale points work fine, rather than spending high point amounts to. Stay in a Hotel room instead of a Villa.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Ok but wouldn't it make more sense to buy at VGC and book at 11 months then resale points work fine, rather than spending high point amounts to. Stay in a Hotel room instead of a Villa.
For those that book farther out, yes...but I think for someone who lives close who sees themselves wanting the flexibility to go on short notice trips, having direct points would make that worth it since VGC is so small and the only option for DVC on that coast.

If it were WDW, with so many options for short notice travel, I agree--resale makes sense...but VGC, is a different situation and may be worth the extra money for those occasions when you want to have a place to stay and VGC is sold out.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
YES!!! EXACTLY what I meant!!! THANK YOU rlovew !!
Although this is easiest & quickest way for the use of my points, I HAVE used them for another DVC (Aulani) BUT flying DOES cost $$$ even to FL.

If anyone thinks my use of points is wasteful..... oh well, TO EACH HIS/HER OWN! Advice is just advice & is not set in stone so lightn' up!!
Like I said before " life is too short so enjoy!!!"
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: