DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer
 
jerseyduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 312

Combining Direct and Resale

I am assuming this can be done?

I am probably looking at BCV, now I understand that I would have to get on a wait list to buy direct.

But if I find a small contract I want on the resale market, can I then buy another contract direct, and have them be one account? (I assume DVC can match the UY)

Or if I buy direct first, then find a resale one (with a matching UY) can that be one account?

Any caveats?
__________________


Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,227

Yes it can be done. My first contract was a resale. As it was my first contract, the contract number has extension ".000". Later, I purchased 3 direct contracts. Unless you specifically request a different UY and purchase enough points for a new master contract, Disney will sell you the same UY, title it the same as your existing contract, give it the same base contract number and increment the contract's extension number. My three direct contracts have the same base contract number as my first (resale) contract with extensions ".001", ".002" and ".003".

If I were to purchase another resale and wanted it set up as another "add on", I would need to purchase the same UY and have it titled EXACTLY the same as my existing contracts. I would also make sure the resale broker noted in my paperwork that I wanted it set up as an add-on to my existing contracts.
__________________
LisaS is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
I am assuming this can be done?

Any caveats?
1) you still would not be able to combine pts from both contracts for disney collection trades outside of DVC - resale pts still could not be used for cruises or wdw hotels like the poly

2) IMO direct is still too expensive to be a good option unless you buy a larger resale initially and want a very small (75 pts or fewer) contract as an add-on, in which case you will be paying a premium regardless and smaller resale contracts can be tough to find.
__________________
-Charles


Last edited by chalee94; 07-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.
chalee94 is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer
 
jerseyduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 312

1 - Understood (direct vs. resale points). I have my direct points in my VGF contract.

2 - I agree, and exactly why I asked, the idea being a possible small add on
__________________


Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,333

We have 16 contracts at 6 different resorts, some direct, some resale all the same UY and titled the same. All 16 contracts are listed in our account and are available as a choice when booking online.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
hjgaus
DIS Veteran
 
hjgaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
We have 16 contracts at 6 different resorts, some direct, some resale all the same UY and titled the same. All 16 contracts are listed in our account and are available as a choice when booking online.

Bill
WOW... so many!!! That's so cool!! So when you combine points to use the Disney Collection is that because you're under the "Grandfather Claus?" = ANY points purchased BEFORE MARCH 2011

This is what we do for VGC and or DLR hotels ALL the time for 7 month OR less reservations!! We can go at any given day without the hassles of MAJOR travel!!
hjgaus is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
WOW... so many!!! That's so cool!! So when you combine points to use the Disney Collection is that because you're under the "Grandfather Claus?" = ANY points purchased BEFORE MARCH 2011

This is what we do for VGC and or DLR hotels ALL the time for 7 month OR less reservations!! We can go at any given day without the hassles of MAJOR travel!!
We could combine for the Disney collection but we don't because we only use our points for DVC stays for the best value. For us the resale restrictions are meaningless even though all of our contracts our unrestricted.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 7,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post

WOW... so many!!! That's so cool!! So when you combine points to use the Disney Collection is that because you're under the "Grandfather Claus?" = ANY points purchased BEFORE MARCH 2011

This is what we do for VGC and or DLR hotels ALL the time for 7 month OR less reservations!! We can go at any given day without the hassles of MAJOR travel!!
Yes, it's convenient to be able to use points at the other DL resorts when VGC is booked, but the point charts are really high. Just something anyone out there lurking should know.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Snurk71
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke
Or if I buy direct first, then find a resale one (with a matching UY) can that be one account?

Any caveats?
We did this (bought direct first then added on resale - same use year). I was pretty nervous about getting the resale contract added on to the same master contract for combining points at 7 months - I read it had to be titled exactly the same. But it all went fine and our resale points are combinable with our directs at 7 months just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards
Snurk71 is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
hjgaus
DIS Veteran
 
hjgaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Yes, it's convenient to be able to use points at the other DL resorts when VGC is booked, but the point charts are really high. Just something anyone out there lurking should know.
That's why my advice for buying DIRECT is mostly for So Cal Locals such as myself! Whenever my friends (all locals & some have AP's) enquire
about buying into DVC I strongly suggest they BUY DIRECT if possible BECAUSE we are SO CLOSE anyway! Points maybe on the higher end BUT SO worth it when it can go hand in hand with your AP PLUS NO NEED to fly or drive long distance!! Also if in the villa save $$ with your own food/drinks!!
It adds up to MANY happy times @ DLR for staycations!! Life is short so enjoy while you can!! DVC - NO REGRETS!!!
hjgaus is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,973

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post

That's why my advice for buying DIRECT is mostly for So Cal Locals such as myself! Whenever my friends (all locals & some have AP's) enquire
about buying into DVC I strongly suggest they BUY DIRECT if possible BECAUSE we are SO CLOSE anyway! Points maybe on the higher end BUT SO worth it when it can go hand in hand with your AP PLUS NO NEED to fly or drive long distance!! Also if in the villa save $$ with your own food/drinks!!
It adds up to MANY happy times @ DLR for staycations!! Life is short so enjoy while you can!! DVC - NO REGRETS!!!
I don't understand why that translates to buying direct. We bought our VGC points resale.
Minniesgal is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
rlovew
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,257
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I don't understand why that translates to buying direct. We bought our VGC points resale.
I believe the point was that normally there is not a lot of availability after the 7 month window so if you like planning short range trips than having direct points allows you to stay at the hotels instead of the DVC property while resale points do not allow you to use them at the hotel if VGC are unavailable.
__________________
Me and DH
rlovew is online now  
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,973

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post

I believe the point was that normally there is not a lot of availability after the 7 month window so if you like planning short range trips than having direct points allows you to stay at the hotels instead of the DVC property while resale points do not allow you to use them at the hotel if VGC are unavailable.
Ok but wouldn't it make more sense to buy at VGC and book at 11 months then resale points work fine, rather than spending high point amounts to. Stay in a Hotel room instead of a Villa.
Minniesgal is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
Sandisw
Moderator
 
Sandisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 9,684
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Ok but wouldn't it make more sense to buy at VGC and book at 11 months then resale points work fine, rather than spending high point amounts to. Stay in a Hotel room instead of a Villa.
For those that book farther out, yes...but I think for someone who lives close who sees themselves wanting the flexibility to go on short notice trips, having direct points would make that worth it since VGC is so small and the only option for DVC on that coast.

If it were WDW, with so many options for short notice travel, I agree--resale makes sense...but VGC, is a different situation and may be worth the extra money for those occasions when you want to have a place to stay and VGC is sold out.
__________________
Sandi



Sandisw is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
hjgaus
DIS Veteran
 
hjgaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
I believe the point was that normally there is not a lot of availability after the 7 month window so if you like planning short range trips than having direct points allows you to stay at the hotels instead of the DVC property while resale points do not allow you to use them at the hotel if VGC are unavailable.
YES!!! EXACTLY what I meant!!! THANK YOU rlovew !!
Although this is easiest & quickest way for the use of my points, I HAVE used them for another DVC (Aulani) BUT flying DOES cost $$$ even to FL.

If anyone thinks my use of points is wasteful..... oh well, TO EACH HIS/HER OWN! Advice is just advice & is not set in stone so lightn' up!!
Like I said before " life is too short so enjoy!!!"
hjgaus is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.