Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
LonandChaCha
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 31

Getting to WDW using ME but in a roundabout way

My family is flying in on Sat, Oct 19th to MCO. Our WDW vacation doesn't start until Sunday. We are going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express closest to the airport. We will pick up baggage and the hotel shuttle will take us from airport to hotel. Coming in on Sat rather than on Sun saved us hundreds of dollars for the flight, plus we will get to WDW much earlier on Sun.

Here's my question: What is the best value for getting us to WDW? Right now, ME has us down for Sunday and they know we are actually coming in prior day. I don't know the logistics of this just yet, and was wondering if anyone else had done this before? I'm sort of worried about us getting dropped off with our luggage that now is now not cleared thru security. We will be at the "pick-up" area of the airport, but I just don't know. I also don't want our last leg of the trip to turn into a five hour ordeal...hotel shuttle takes us back to airport, waiting for ME, etc...

I would love any advice and insight! I would like the best value and an efficient use of our time. Thanks so much to everyone! I wish I would have become a part if this board two years ago!
__________________


Celebrating 15 years with DH on September 19th!

DH DD6 DD2 Me
LonandChaCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
LonandChaCha
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 31

Sorry! I posted this from my phone and I was in the wrong forum! Probably should be moved....sorry...
LonandChaCha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy
 
lovetoscrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Pits of DISpair: AKA- NOT WDW
Posts: 22,656
DISboards Moderator

I am going to move this to the Transportation Board.

Sent from my Nook using DISBoards.
No autocorrect- all misspellings are my own!
__________________
Need help with: PHOTOS, TICKERS, SIGNATURES, AVATARS, FINDING your Posts/Threads, Posting LINKS? Check out the FAQ and VIDEO TUTORIAL






SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Ladygoldenhair
DIS Veteran
 
Ladygoldenhair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 554

Someone may confirm, but can you just move up your p/u stating an earlier time? If you can find a flight from any airline to the time you want to go to Disney. Give them the new flight information.....
You will have your luggage which doesn't need to come a secure location. When you get to the resort stow it in luggage claimm and hey will text you when the room is ready.
__________________

Last edited by Ladygoldenhair; 07-24-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Ladygoldenhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,764

Quote:
I'm sort of worried about us getting dropped off with our luggage that now is now not cleared thru security.
They don't care about that. You will have the driver put your luggage under the bus you're on, and when you get to your resort the driver will take it off for you. That's worthy of a tip.

If your room is ready, take your stuff to the room! If not, leave your stuff with Bell Services. The Bell person who takes it and/or the person that brings it to your room later is also something you should consider tipping.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
purple figment
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonandChaCha View Post
My family is flying in on Sat, Oct 19th to MCO. Our WDW vacation doesn't start until Sunday. We are going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express closest to the airport. We will pick up baggage and the hotel shuttle will take us from airport to hotel. Coming in on Sat rather than on Sun saved us hundreds of dollars for the flight, plus we will get to WDW much earlier on Sun.

Here's my question:

1. What is the best value for getting us to WDW?

2. Right now, ME has us down for Sunday and they know we are actually coming in prior day. I don't know the logistics of this just yet, and was wondering if anyone else had done this before?

3. I'm sort of worried about us getting dropped off with our luggage that now is now not cleared thru security. We will be at the "pick-up" area of the airport, but I just don't know.

4. I also don't want our last leg of the trip to turn into a five hour ordeal...hotel shuttle takes us back to airport, waiting for ME, etc...

I would love any advice and insight! I would like the best value and an efficient use of our time. Thanks so much to everyone! I wish I would have become a part if this board two years ago!
1. Since ME is included as a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort it's not going to cost you anything more that would be the "best" value to me. If you opt for a shuttle, taxi or town car, you will have to pay the additional cost.

2. Yes, many DW visitors stay near the airport the first night and take the DME the next morning. Sounds like you're already in the DME system so just show up at the DME boarding area on the ground floor with your luggage and DME paperwork and you'll be directed to the appropriate bus.

3. You won't go through security to get to the DME check in and boarding area.

4. I don't know how long it will take you to get from the Holiday Inn back to MCO, but the general consensus is it takes about 60-90 minutes from the airport to arrival at your DW resort using DME.
__________________
Kim T
purple figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
gigi1313
DIS Veteran
 
gigi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 9,071

Have you considered staying that night at a Disney resort on a room only reservation? If you stay at the same resort, you can check in early, leave your bags packed to be moved if a room change is required or if lucky, keep the same room... If you stay at a different resort, Disney will transport your luggage and you just have to get yourself from one resort to the other. I would find that easier than going back to the airport, and did the latter on our last trip, and will be doing the former on our next trip!
__________________
numerous offsite vacations beginning in '79 honeymoon in march '92 AS Sports sept '99
CBR sept '01Pop sept '04POFQ/AKL aug/sept '05 Pop Jan '06 ASMusic sept '06
CBR Aug '07 BC Sept '08 CSR Feb '09 POR Aug '09 ASMovies Nov '09 POR Aug '10
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,817
DISboards Moderator

You won't have any issue. If you spend the night at a hotel close to MCO, just grab your bags early in the morning, and take the shuttle over to MCO. You don't need to worry about any security. Just get off the shuttle, and go down to level 1, on Side B of the airport. There you will be directed to the appropriate bus for your resort and off you go. Your bags will be put beneath the bus you are traveling on. The driver will expect a tip though...he had handled your bags now.
Or, try to book a night at a value resort for your arrival day/night. Then, you can have Disney transfer your bags in the morning, or get a cab to take you and your bags to your regular resort.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
LonandChaCha
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 31

Thank you everyone for the advice! This helps so much.

I had not thought about a room only reservation at the resort itself, have to give that more thought. Packing and moving the next day would not be any different than packing and moving out of the airport hotel. The only thing slightly holding me back is we are getting in late anyway for DD6 and DD2, so staying close to MCO gets them to bed earlier...but I still like the idea of already being there. I think I will call to at least check on this and the rates.

If we don't do that, it sounds like my worries are really for nothing about the airport, our bags, shuttling, and the time it's going to take. That is a relief at least.

Thanks again!
__________________


Celebrating 15 years with DH on September 19th!

DH DD6 DD2 Me
LonandChaCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
LonandChaCha
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
You won't have any issue. If you spend the night at a hotel close to MCO, just grab your bags early in the morning, and take the shuttle over to MCO. You don't need to worry about any security. Just get off the shuttle, and go down to level 1, on Side B of the airport. There you will be directed to the appropriate bus for your resort and off you go. Your bags will be put beneath the bus you are traveling on. The driver will expect a tip though...he had handled your bags now.
Or, try to book a night at a value resort for your arrival day/night. Then, you can have Disney transfer your bags in the morning, or get a cab to take you and your bags to your regular resort.
Thank you for the details! You must know my husband.
__________________


Celebrating 15 years with DH on September 19th!

DH DD6 DD2 Me
LonandChaCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
LonandChaCha
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygoldenhair View Post
If you can find a flight from any airline to the time you want to go to Disney. Give them the new flight information.....
That's a good work around. Thanks!
__________________


Celebrating 15 years with DH on September 19th!

DH DD6 DD2 Me
LonandChaCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
LonandChaCha
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment View Post
4. I don't know how long it will take you to get from the Holiday Inn back to MCO, but the general consensus is it takes about 60-90 minutes from the airport to arrival at your DW resort using DME.
Good to know, that helps!
__________________


Celebrating 15 years with DH on September 19th!

DH DD6 DD2 Me
LonandChaCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
gigi1313
DIS Veteran
 
gigi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 9,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonandChaCha View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice! This helps so much.

I had not thought about a room only reservation at the resort itself, have to give that more thought. Packing and moving the next day would not be any different than packing and moving out of the airport hotel. The only thing slightly holding me back is we are getting in late anyway for DD6 and DD2, so staying close to MCO gets them to bed earlier...but I still like the idea of already being there. I think I will call to at least check on this and the rates.

If we don't do that, it sounds like my worries are really for nothing about the airport, our bags, shuttling, and the time it's going to take. That is a relief at least.

Thanks again!

If you opt to stay at a WDW hotel your first night, pack what you need in your carry-on and be sure to ask bell services to hold your bags until morning and put out your do not disturb card... I made the mistake of not doing this and had the luggage arrive as soon as I got the baby to sleep, only to have him woken and cranky for the next two hours!
__________________
numerous offsite vacations beginning in '79 honeymoon in march '92 AS Sports sept '99
CBR sept '01Pop sept '04POFQ/AKL aug/sept '05 Pop Jan '06 ASMusic sept '06
CBR Aug '07 BC Sept '08 CSR Feb '09 POR Aug '09 ASMovies Nov '09 POR Aug '10
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,817
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygoldenhair View Post
Someone may confirm, but can you just move up your p/u stating an earlier time? If you can find a flight from any airline to the time you want to go to Disney. Give them the new flight information.....
You will have your luggage which doesn't need to come a secure location. When you get to the resort stow it in luggage claimm and hey will text you when the room is ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonandChaCha View Post
That's a good work around. Thanks!
Disney doesn't care when you show up for a bus. You can use the DME bus at any time that day of arrival. Even if your original flight time showed you as arriving at 10pm, you could still arrive at DME checkin at 7am and be able to board the bus. The only time they have to have exact flight info is for your return ride to MCO!! That IS important.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,339

You can book a car service in advance. You can ask at HI Express if they can get a flat rate transportation to your resort. FL Tours charges $70+tip for an airport pickup. Drivers who pick you up at MCO have to pay $$$ airport fees. I don't know what resort you're staying at. A taxi fare might be $35-$40. Could be higher depending on your resort. I'd look for a flat rate to avoid the concern of being "long hauled"

A taxi will get you to your resort in around 30 minutes. Chances are the hotel can get you a flat rate car service/taxi quickly.

You can take the hotel shuttle to MCO and then take DME. Assuming you get to the DME area a few minutes before a bus is dispatched you'll probably get to your resort in around 45 minutes. DME buses drive slow and you may have a couple of stops. Most of us would do that BUT

Hotel courtesy airport shuttles generally run every 30 minutes. If you just miss the hotel shuttle (someone has to use the bathroom) and just miss a DME bus the total time from your hotel to your resort could take 90 or more.

I'd reserve DME. I'd ask at the hotel about the availability of alternate transportation. I'd probably go with the less expensive DME option if I was staying a week or so. I'd consider springing for a taxi/car service if my trip is shorter and I don't want to waste an hour or so. No reason to decide in advance.

I'd definitely spring for private transportation from the HI if I want to be at a park for rope drop or plan on having a table service breakfast at Disney.

edited to add: One of the taxi fare estimator sites says walking would take 7 hours 36 minutes and would burn around 1900 calories. Not something most of us would do but it would make for an interesting trip report if you want to give it a shot.

Last edited by Lewisc; 07-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.