Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
hanksgirl
Earning My Ears

Split stay or not??

My family is considering a spilt stay between Art of Animation and Animal kingdom lodge. Is that a good idea for a first time visit?? Is it an easy thing to do?? Shall I book with a travel agent?? We originally were going to stay at port orleans but now we aren't sure . Please give words of wisdom!!
hanksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
goofygirl1975
Earning My Ears

I was considering this for my trip next year and my agent said that if we did our nights would start over for our tickets. The park tickets get cheaper the longer you stay.
goofygirl1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Resorts Board.

Sent from my Nook using DISBoards.
No autocorrect- all misspellings are my own!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
blackmamba10000
Mouseketeer

How many days are you going for? If you are going to have a nice chunk of time at each resort, then yes! Go for it! But, if it's a shorter stay, I'd pick only one. You can always choose a night to visit the other resort!

On my first trip to Disney, we only stayed 5 nights. And I was so overwhelmed (in a good way) with everything WL and Disney had to offer! I don't know how I could've handled a resort switch too! I would've overloaded!
blackmamba10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
msd1776
Mouseketeer

On my last trip we did a triple split stay: 2/4/4. Similar to what the other poster said, I would not split stay for shorter stays. 2 days was way too short, 4 days was okay but another day would have been better.

We moved our luggage ourselves because of the electronics and food we had so I can not speak to using bell services for moving your belongings between the resorts.
msd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Depends if you have a package (DDP particularly) or small children! Bell Services will move your luggage, so that part is easy. However, you probably wont have access to your luggage until 5pm-ish.

If you are on DDP, you need a ticket package at each resort, making the cost of tix more expensive. Also, you will need to take time to check in first thing if you need your dining credits on moving day. If you have AP or military tix, this won't be an issue, unless during free dining.

On moving day, you will be "homeless" until your room is ready, which could be late afternoon. Annoying if you need a nap/break.

If small children are in the mix, split stays are a PITA IMHO, as more gear, packing and logistical planning are required. The older the members of the party, the better. It is also a PITA if you like to settle down in your resort... you may never feel settled until you move, and by then your vacation is half over.

It is a fun way to stay at multiple resorts, especially if your vacation is longer.

Just depends on your vacationing style and expectations. Happy planning!

Last edited by Perditamarie; 07-25-2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Perditamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksgirl View Post
My family is considering a spilt stay between Art of Animation and Animal kingdom lodge. Is that a good idea for a first time visit?? Is it an easy thing to do?? Shall I book with a travel agent?? We originally were going to stay at port orleans but now we aren't sure . Please give words of wisdom!!
It's easy to do. It helps to have a vacation of 7 nights or more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygirl1975 View Post
I was considering this for my trip next year and my agent said that if we did our nights would start over for our tickets. The park tickets get cheaper the longer you stay.
This is not correct. You can buy a 10 day ticket your first day at first resort and change all you want and still use the same ticket. Now the dining plan would start a new package.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygirl1975 View Post
Sorry, you were mis informed by your agent. We split stay every time (and love it!) and never have to buy new tickets.
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

We're big fans of split stays and we have young kids (6 and 2). BUT, we've been to WDW many, many times and we know the ins and outs. For your first trip, I would pick one resort. WDW is a wonderful place, but can be very overwhelming for a first timer. Some people find moving stressful, we never do, but again, we do it all the time.

Depending on the composition of your traveling party, I might suggest Wilderness Lodge. It's easy access to the Magic Kingdom. I love Animal Kingdom Lodge but it is remote and you have to rely on the bus for every park. WL has a similar theme but is much more convenient for MK.

Good luck and happy planning!!
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
amym2
DIS Veteran

For your first visit, I wouldn't suggest a split stay, unless you don't think you'll return. I'd stick with one resort (AoA or POR would be fine) but plan some time to visit other resorts. We love to check out resorts and plan where to stay in the future. This is easier with a car but possible without one. AKL is a beautiful resort to visit and have a meal (we love Boma). You can check out the grounds, but you cannot swim unless you stay there. We like to resort hop to the monorail resorts also.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksgirl View Post
Port Orleans is a fine resort, with some great amenities. The boat to Downtown Disney is a very nice perk. They also have some great recreational options and Boatwright's Dining Hall is a wonderful restaurant for dinner. I'd do a split stay. In fact, I'm thinking about switching from POP to POR for the first 3 nights of my upcoming trip. That will put me at 3 resorts for a total of 11 nights.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
LynneIL
Earning My Ears

We did a split stay this past April - 4 nights at Pop Century and 3 nights at AoA. I LOVED it.

We did not have the dining plan, so we bought our tickets with the Pop Century booking and then just did a room only for AoA.

The day of the move, we got up, packed up, and called bell services. We left the bags in the room and went to the parks. We went to our new resort around mid afternoon and checked with bell services for our luggage. There had been a mix up and it was still over at Pop Century. They ran over there to get it and took it right up to our room. Meanwhile we explored and had something to eat.

It was a lot of fun seeing two different resorts. I don’t know when we will be able to get back to WDW. The previous time was 15 years ago for our honeymoon. Our kids were 11,9, and 4. It was no big deal, but it helped that I had planned to spend the afternoon at the resort that day.
LynneIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: