Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Planning for DxDP in a Whole New World...A Feb 14 PDR *2/19 Complete*

Welcome all to my Pre-Dining Report!!

My Name is Jessica, and this will be my 3rd trip to Disney World. On my previous two trips I had the Deluxe dining plan, and this trip will be no different.

One BIG difference though, is that earlier this year I started converting to a pescetarian diet. For those that aren't familiar, that means I will eat fish and shellfish, but no land animals. This is QUITE a departure from my former extremely carnivorous self. I gradually transitioned, starting first by eliminating red meat from my diet, and then more recently eliminating poultry as well.

I am still a work in progress, and still learning a lot about my new lifestyle. I am going on this trip with my friend Megan, who is definitely still Omnivore. I have found this to be quite a challenge in planning our ADRs, because two of her must do's (Ohana and Le Cellier) have very little that I can eat. So it could be an interesting journey for us! Perhaps I really can make an entire meal out of Ohana's bread pudding and salad?

I hope you decide to come along with me on this journey, as I'm sure we will have some interesting developments in the way!

Last edited by JessicaKnits; 02-20-2014 at 07:47 AM.
JessicaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Chapter Links

Arrival Day -- Lunch
Arrival Day -- Snack
Arrival Day -- Dinner

Day One -- Breakfast (Posted 10/26)
Day One --Lunch (Posted 10/27)
Day One --Dinner (Posted 10/28)

Day Two -- Breakfast (Posted 11/3)
Day Two -- Lunch (Posted 11/3)
Day Two -- Dinner (Posted 11/17)

Day Three --Breakfast (Posted 11/17)
Day Three -- Lunch (Posted 11/23)
Day Three -- Dinner (Posted 11/23)

Day Four -- Breakast (Posted 11/30)
Day Four -- Lunch (Posted 11/30)
Day Four -- Dinner (Posted 1/19)

Day Five -- Breakfast (Posted 1/19)
Day Five -- Lunch (Posted 1/19)
Day Five -- Dinner (Posted 2/17)

Day Six -- Breakfast (Posted 2/17)
Day Six -- Lunch (Posted 2/17)
Day Six -- Dinner (Posted 2/17)

Day Seven -- Breakfast (Posted 2/18)
Day Seven -- Lunch (Posted 2/18)
Day Seven -- Dinner (Posted 2/18)

Day Eight -- Breakfast (Posted 2/18)
Day Eight -- Lunch (Posted 2/18)
Day Eight -- Dinner (Posted 2/18)

Day Nine -- Breakfast (Posted 2/18)
Day Nine -- Lunch (Posted 2/18)
Day Nine -- Dinner (Posted 2/18)

Day Ten -- Breakfast (Posted 2/18)
Day Ten -- Lunch (Posted 2/18)
Day Ten -- Dinner (Posted 2/18)

Day Eleven -- Breakfast (Posted 2/19) **NEW**
Day Eleven -- Lunch (Posted 2/19) **NEW**

Snack List (Posted 2/19)

Little Mermaid Theme Night (Posted 11/10)

Last edited by JessicaKnits; 02-19-2014 at 09:49 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Hi Jessica - just wanted to say I'm looking forward to your reviews! As someone who's strongly considering a pescetarian diet (stopped eating red meat and pork in January, but haven't cut poultry yet), I can't wait to see what you find in WDW.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Hi Jessica - just wanted to say I'm looking forward to your reviews! As someone who's strongly considering a pescetarian diet (stopped eating red meat and pork in January, but haven't cut poultry yet), I can't wait to see what you find in WDW.
Thanks for joining along with me! Cutting out poultry was the hardest part for me. I would always eat steak or red meat if it was there, but it usually wasn't my first choice. Poultry was the hardest for me because I LOVE sandwiches! I was a woman obsessed, and was really apprehensive to try tofurkey and other soy alternatives to lunch meat. I am happy to report that I actually really enjoy them so I was able to finally make the switch. Best of luck in your decision, whatever you decide.

My goal going in to this trip is to try and choose restaurants that have at least on pescetarian-friendly option on the menu that I would eat. However on my last trip, we had the unfortunate experience that many items I had read about on very recent menus online, were not in fact offered on the day we dined. This could be interesting.

An interesting thing I have found out about Disney is that most of their cupcakes (which I have enjoyed quite regularly on my past trips) include gelatin. Apparently the gelatin is used so that those mounds of frosting will hold their shape longer. So no cupcakes for me...I did however enjoy Babycakes on my most recent trip.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day -- Lunch

For our first meal of the trip we are detouring to Downtown Disney for a quick counter service lunch. On previous trips I would have stopped at Earl of Sandwich without hesitation, but I am not keen on their veggie option, so this required finding an alternative. So I chose:

Wolfgang Puck Express

This seems like a solid bet for all involved. This will be our first time dining here, although I have previously enjoyed The Wolfgang Puck Café and Dining Room.

Megan has her eye on a few dishes. Either the:

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf - mashed potatoes, port wine sauce and crispy onion rings $15

or

one of the many pizza options.

I think I would enjoy either the:

Tortilla Soup - avocado, tortillas, goat cheese and cilantro $7

or

Roasted Beets Salad - Goat Cheese, oranges, candied pecans, fresh greens and balsamic $9

or

Oven Roasted Salmon - fennel, tomatoes, arugula, roasted potatoes and horseradish cream $18.

Tell me, how has everyone enjoyed WPE?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

I've only been to WPE once (a few years ago), but I had the salmon dish and loved it! Based on the reviews WPE gets, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
farrahalex76
Mouseketeer

I'm here for your dining report. I don't eat red meat or pork, I'm having a hard time giving up chicken though. If I got out to eat I'm fine its just cooking around the house for the DH and kids that the chicken comes in. Looking forward to your report and to get some ideas for our next trip.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
I've only been to WPE once (a few years ago), but I had the salmon dish and loved it! Based on the reviews WPE gets, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.
Glad to hear that the salmon is good! I agree, WPE seems to be one place that consistently gets rave reviews on the Dis, and that is quite rare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrahalex76 View Post
I'm here for your dining report. I don't eat red meat or pork, I'm having a hard time giving up chicken though. If I got out to eat I'm fine its just cooking around the house for the DH and kids that the chicken comes in. Looking forward to your report and to get some ideas for our next trip.
Poultry was the hardest for me too! I don't have children, so it makes it pretty easy at home. I live in a small city, so sometimes eating out here is a bit of a challenge. Most waiters/waitresses don't even know what a pescetarian is here.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day -- Snack

I apologize in advance for the onslaught of updates. I normally try to spread them out as much as possible, after all, we have to make this PDR last till February right? I am moving to Charlotte in two weeks, so I'm not sure what kind of time I will have in the coming weeks to update, so I'm trying to get enough posted in the meantime to tide you over until I get settled in!

After what I'm sure will be an amazing meal at WPE, I bet we'll be in the mood for something sweet. I was pretty disappointed recently to learn that most of Disney's cupcakes include gelatin, making them a no go for me. As a self proclaimed cupcake connoisseur this was a major bummer. One place that I know doesn't include gelatin in their cupcakes is an old favorite of mine from New York, and something I quite enjoyed on my last trip...

(Photo courtesy of disneyfoodblog.com)

Babycakes! For those of you that aren't familiar, babycakesNYC is located inside the same building that houses Pollo Campero in Downtown Disney. Their baked goods are gluten, dairy, egg and soy free. Most are also sweetened with agave nectar instead of refined sugar or corn syrup. Now, if you don't have any dietary restrictions babycakes may not be your cup of tea. I actually quite enjoyed the lemon cupcake on my last visit, and might venture out to try the pumpkin or carrot one this trip. I did try the red velvet and didn't care for it. While I certainly would prefer the overly sweet, buttery, calorie dense concoctions that Disney normally offers in its cupcake cases, I find babycakes to be a tasty alternative!

Here's a few sample picks from my last trip. (I apologize for the white out in some of the pics, I was still trying to get a hang of a new camera.)

The little box the cupcakes are individually packaged in.

The lemon all boxed up

The lemon. I really enjoyed this one, it had a very light lemony flavor and the texture of the cake was very similar to that of a "normal" cupcake.

And the red velvet...Again, I didn't care for this one, it was a little on the dry side and I really missed a cream cheese icing.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day --Dinner

For dinner, and our first ADR on the dining plan, we decided to stick with Downtown Disney. We're headed to another first for me...

(Photo courtesy of disneyfoodblog.com)

Fulton's Crab House. Obviously, Fulton's is sort of a pescetarian's dream and I'm pleased to see they were added to the dining plan! As I mentioned, I haven't been before, so I don't have any pictures to share with you, but there are many many things that appealed to both of us that made us decide to dine here.

The first: Crab dip!! Need I say more?

The second: Amazing appetizer options! Several things really stick out to me on the appetizer menu...

Fish Tacos - Market catch, cajun spice, pico de gallo, queso fresco, guacamole $12

Crab Cake - Jumbo lump blue crab, roasted corn maque choux, fried green tomato, remoulade sauce $15

Portobello Mushroom Fries - Orange Blossom Pilsner battered, mustard sauce $9

Lobster Corn Dogs - salsa verde, sweet chili aioli $14

Normally with fried options, I would have to be careful that they weren't fried in the same grease that is also used for frying things like chicken tenders or other meat products. Apparently this is also a concern at many other Disney restaurants. The only thing I could find on their entire menu that was a fried meat were some children's chicken nuggets. Hopefully they have their own fryer because those lobster corn dogs sound AMAZING!!

In the event that I can't have any of the above mentioned, both the

Ahi Tuna Tartar - Avocado-cucumber relish, sweet chili aioli, plantain chip $15

and the

Crab Ceviche - Blistered tomatillo, sweet onion, heirloom tomatoes, cilantro, avocado $14

sound equally delicious.

For dinner, I definitely have had my eye set on the

Narragansett, Rhode Island Lobster - One pound and a quarter lobster, shrimp, scallop, spinach and mushroom stuffing, toasted breadcrumbs $49.

Really EVERYTHING on the menu sounds absolutely fantastic, I'm not sure how I will even decide!! This could very well be a game day decision for me!

I don't see a dessert menu online anywhere, but I tend to gravitate towards desserts that are a little more tart then things that are overloaded with chocolate. I would LOVE it if they had a key lime pie or something of the sort!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

this is a little off topic....but what are the benefits of a pescetarian diet? thanks!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
farrahalex76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
this is a little off topic....but what are the benefits of a pescetarian diet? thanks!
I have ulcerative colitis and I'm lactose intolerant so I just feel better and have more energy when I eat like this. Red meat just upsets my stomach to much.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
That's a great question! There are many health benefits to a pescetarian diet. Since I am definitely not a physician, I have quoted an article from yahoo.com that I consulted when I was considering my options.

"While the pescetarian diet is not as friendly to the planet or to animals as a fully vegetarian or vegan diet, pescetarianism does offer a number of critically important health benefits.

Red meats contribute to many serious diseases and conditions, but the health risks related to fish are minimal. For example, several studies have strongly linked the consumption of red meat to colon cancer, heart disease, and even diabetes owing to their high content of unhealthy omega-6 fatty acids and an alarming concentration of saturated fat.

Fish products do not contribute to these conditions, and in fact may help to prevent them. Most types of fish, particularly fatty fish like salmon, contain large quantities of polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids, which have been implicated in the treatment of everything from heart disease to depression to attention deficit disorder. Moreover, in 2004, the Food and Drug Administration a "qualified health claim" that omega-3 fatty acids can combat the risk of coronary heart disease. It appears that a pescetarian diet may actually combat the diseases and conditions caused by red meat.

Seafood products can also be a good source of iron for people who do not regularly consume red meats, iron-containing vegetables, or iron-fortified cereals. For this reason, pescatarians are at a significantly lower risk of developing iron deficiency anemia, an extremely common condition among vegans and vegetarians. Vitamin D-3 deficiency, another surprisingly common nutrient deficiency among Americans, can also be combatted with adequate consumption of tuna, mackerel, and salmon.

Hypothyroidism, a common cause for obesity in the United States, can also be combatted with a balanced pescetarian diet. Many seafoods, especially shellfish, contain high levels of natural iodine, known to protect against, treat, and prevent thyroid disease. Depression, mental slowing, goitre, and weight gain are common symptoms among adults with hyperthyroidism, but it can often be treated easily and naturally with a high-iodine pescetarian diet.

Pescetarianism is also an easier solution than full vegetarianism for people who want to give up meats but are concerned about the health impacts of soy. While protein deficiency is exceedingly rare even among strict vegans, many vegetarians have difficulty feeling full or satisfied without having a protein source in each meal. However, many vegetarians have difficulty digesting soy protein or are concerned about the unknown effects of isoflavones (estrogen-mimickers) in soy, leading them to switch to pescetarianism to meet their protein needs.

The predominantly pescetarian diet consumed by the Japanese may be a contributing factor to their long life spans and low cancer rates Although the Japanese smoke more and are exposed to more environmental toxins than citizens of the United States, their rates of coronary heart disease and cancer are significantly less than in the United States. The high content of life-giving Omega-3 fats, natural iodine, and vitamin D-3 found in fish may contribute to the overall health of the Japanese population."

Many also consider a pescetarian diet for ethical reasons. My decision was based on a combination of both. Heart disease and cancer run in my family. I also have several family members that have Type 2 diabetes. Personally, I just "feel" better since I have become a pescetarian. I have more energy, sleep better at night and my skin looks amazing. I hope this helps!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

I'm here! I'm a healthy pescetarian who mostly doesn't eat meat for the ethical reasons. I was a pretty enthusiastic meat eater back in the day, but it has now been 15 years since I have eaten any land creatures and I don't miss meat one little bit.

I'm looking forward to your reviews and to see what you select. Fulton's is beautiful at night! It's too bad we didn't have the greatest experience there in 2012, so we might not be back. The menu options look so good, though! They sound right up my alley.

I love a good lemon cupcake! Yum yum!
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

post on! my mother is a pescetarian and will occasionally eat red meat. she went this road a few years ago as cholesterol was a concern. sometimes we have a hard time with booking because family style restaurants don't offer a lot of meat options and buffets can be skimpy on the seafood. i liked garden grill but the food was too much of an issue there. they put bacon in a salad and they allowed her to order fish but still gave me a huge serving of meat for just me. i still have a few months till our trip so i'm going to read your reviews and see if i should swap any of my ADRs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: