Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
marimario
Mouseketeer

ECV and personal item left when you in a ride

DS and I will be at Disney and US next week and I will be renting a ECV. My question is what experience any one have leaving things in the basket, ex: water, snack in a bag etc.. Since I'm planning to take some snack but I would like to leave it in the basket with out any concerns.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Most of the rides you will take the EVC to the ride car and leave it so people will be less likely to take anything. We have always left items in our stroller and never had any trouble. I would never leave anything like a camera or purse, but water and snacks I would not think twice about leaving, but that it just me.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

we have used ecv's and left little things in the basket and never had a problem. like other poster said, I wouldn't leave anything important. and we usually try to cover things up alittle. my dad also has taken a back pack with him and puts his stuff in there and rides with it in the basket. when he gets on a ride, he takes whole back pack with him, but he never carries much, so it isn't heavy or overly big.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

We always leave thing in the basket and in a backpack on the back of the seat never had a problem

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

I take too much of real life with me into the parks and am afraid to leave things in my ECV. I have heard of things taken out of strollers. I believe, as had been said in a previous post, if a particular ride has you leave your ECV in the building Im sure it is more safe. However I keep everything in a bag that is easy to take on the ride. I would rather be on the cautious side than have something happen that would sour the rest of the trip.

And here is a not on the subject tip that works so well I would like to share: I bring a 6 inch bungee cord with me to "trap" refillmugs, drinks etc. securely. In fact I use more to help transport other cups for my party.
strawberrylilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

My mom always leaves stuff in her ECV (just not anything valuable of course like cameras). She's never had anything stolen, until this past May. She also carried a really nice cane with her and the night we ate at BoG, decided her knees were doing OK and to leave the cane hanging on the ECV. When we came out, the cane was gone. We told the CM who was standing there with the clip board about it and she said she had seen us park there right up against the building when we went in, but had not noticed anyone messing with it. We couldn't believe someone would steal some old lady's cane off her ECV. Ponchos, large insulated mug of ice water, and an umbrella was still in the basket. The only thing they took was her cane.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Pink Flamingo
Think Pink!!!
DIS Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrylilacs View Post
I bring a 6 inch bungee cord with me to "trap" refillmugs, drinks etc. securely. In fact I use more to help transport other cups for my party.
Love this idea!

June 1998 Dixie Landings * June 2000 Dixie Landings * June 2002 Polynesian (& All Star Music for 1 night)* March 2004 Coronodo Spring * August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian; Hard Rock Hotel * January 2008 Wilderness Lodge * June 2009 Royal Pacific Resort 1st time club level * June 2010: Royal Pacific Resort * August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter * July 2012: Pop & Saratoga Springs ~ 2 Bedroom Villa

Pink Flamingo Flys Again:
August 2013: AKL Jambo House & Boardwalk Inn
Pink Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Bete
DIS Veteran

If the items are not of real value I see no problems leaving them in the basket. You can always replace water and snacks if anything happened and then it would be a lesson learned. We have done even a light jacket and an umbrella and stuffed it into the basket. I can say for over 20 years we have not had a problem.

At times we have used a backpack and secured it on the back of the seat. We had a backpack we could lock. If you don't feel secure then this may help you. We did not keep valuables in the backpack. If someone had a knife they could have probably cut the backpack off the seat if they really wanted it bad enough.

You may want to consider bringing a bigger bag to carry everything with you everywhere you go. We have used diaper bags to carry our valuables. If the bag is too heavy for you and you are not alone then maybe someone in your party would carry it for you. I wouldn't bring bigger bags on some of the roller coasters though.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
SashaFarce
Mouseketeer

Honestly, we leave our park bag in the ECV when we park 'em. With that said, we keep the important stuff (room keys, Tables In Wonderland, ID, etc) in a lanyard around our neck and all is in the bag is replaceable stuff like first aid and Tylenol, a hairbrush, etc.

Past Trips: Prior to 2013: 14 trips
Feb 2013 @ AoA Sept 2013 @ CBR Oct 2013 @ Pop Dec 2013 @ DLR
Feb 2014 @ ASMusic Apr 2014 on the Disney Dream May 2014 @ ASMovies Aug 2014

Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014 Jan 2014

SashaFarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

I leave (have left) non valuable items in the basket of my personally owned ECV for years and nothing has ever been taken or disturbed. One thing I do do is I take a hand towel and cover the basket up. I do this to discourage anyone from just grabbing something as they are walking by as they would have to remove the towel to see the contents of the basket and to protect our drinks from general germs!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Tehanna
It's FISH EXTENDER, not Fish Exchange!

I've thought about this, too, and here's the plan I've developed for our next trip:

1. Valuable items go in my purse on the ride.

2. There are items that I need for mobility/medical reasons that have no value to anyone but me. These items are going in a clear backpack, like this one:

3. I'm getting a small cable lock to lock it into the scooter's basket, like this one:

Yes, someone can open the backpack, but because it's clear, they can see there is nothing of value in it. The cable lock will prevent a walk by "grab" of the backpack itself.

One bonus of the clear backpack is that it will get through the security bag check more quickly.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Tehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimario View Post
DS and I will be at Disney and US next week and I will be renting a ECV. My question is what experience any one have leaving things in the basket, ex: water, snack in a bag etc.. Since I'm planning to take some snack but I would like to leave it in the basket with out any concerns.
Snacks left in baskets are prime nibblings for the wildlife - don't be surprised if a squirrel or bird takes off with unattended food.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: