Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 942

Why are passports so expensive?

It's rhetorical, but still...? $600-odd to get mine and DH's renewed and one for DS3. Luckily the other two still have a couple of years left on theirs.

Do you know how many churros and Dole Whips and how much popcorn I could buy with that money?
__________________
Me and He , DS1 , DS2 and DS3 makes our family complete

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Marlea98
DIS Veteran
 
Marlea98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,074

I know. We have to renew the kids' passports later this year and I'm dreading it. But, I also have to renew my driver's licence next week and in its wisdom, the government has introduced the no-smile digital driver's licence and I'm stuck with having to get that one. Don't they realise how much of a serial killer I look in my no-smile passport photo that I'll be doomed to repeat that look in the no-smile driver's licence????
__________________
Marlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98
I know. We have to renew the kids' passports later this year and I'm dreading it. But, I also have to renew my driver's licence next week and in its wisdom, the government has introduced the no-smile digital driver's licence and I'm stuck with having to get that one. Don't they realise how much of a serial killer I look in my no-smile passport photo that I'll be doomed to repeat that look in the no-smile driver's licence????
DS1's passport pic looks like a mug shot. He was 2 when he had it taken!
__________________
Me and He , DS1 , DS2 and DS3 makes our family complete

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
MsMinne
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 95

Omg - I'm reading this thread and dreading. I need to get both of my boys renewed. How much am I up for?
MsMinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 1,062

Holy guacamole - this made me go look - $238! wow!
I can only guess - these are smart docs now but who wudda guessed.
__________________
1993 WDW offsite; 2006 DLR offsite; 2008 TDL MiraCosta; 2009 WDW BWI & WL; 2010 WDW CR & BC-CL; 2010 DLR GCH; 2011 WDW PR, OKW & CR; 2012 WDW SSR & AKV; 2014 WDW BWV & GF!!
Check out my blog about Disney, Orlando and Zonta International: Mrs Banks goes to Convention
YAY!
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
 
BecBennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,727

Yeah I haven't changed my name on my passport yet, as I had to change my name by deed poll, so it's another $200 for me too
__________________
BecBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran
 
Melbourne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,001

They are so expensive so you can leave and enter the country and be served by really caring and thoughtful customs and immigration staff who treat you like a valuable customer ! :-). You might think like me that about 1c of your passport fee goes to training the goon squad at the customs counter to smile and show some empathy. Heaven forbid a few more cents might even go to having a reasonable amount of staff on at anyone time. I know other countries are not perfect but we have the worst customs people by far!
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Operation Carsland ( DLR - Hilton Anaheim & Universal- Hilton Universal City)
2011 Operation East Coast WDW (Grand Floridian)+Universal(Hard Rock Hotel)+NYC
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Franrose
DIS Veteran
 
Franrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kiwi Queenslander
Posts: 531

Crapola, lol. We've just spent $5000 to get citizenship in Australia, and once you do that, you pretty much have to enter/leave on an Australian passport or you aren't looked upon very favourably by Aus customs. Which means we will need to get a family's worth of brand new passports for our Dec trip, even though we have perfectly good, not-expired NZ ones. I'm too scared to look at the cost lol.
__________________
DL, WDW... 80s, 90s, 2004, 2011, 2013, ...?

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franrose
Crapola, lol. We've just spent $5000 to get citizenship in Australia, and once you do that, you pretty much have to enter/leave on an Australian passport or you aren't looked upon very favourably by Aus customs. Which means we will need to get a family's worth of brand new passports for our Dec trip, even though we have perfectly good, not-expired NZ ones. I'm too scared to look at the cost lol.
I'll frighten you right here then Franrose! Adults are around $240, kids $120. Adults are for ten years and kids five.
__________________
Me and He , DS1 , DS2 and DS3 makes our family complete

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett
Yeah I haven't changed my name on my passport yet, as I had to change my name by deed poll, so it's another $200 for me too
Bec, are you sure? I am pretty sure it didn't cost anything more than new photos when I changed my name. My new passport in my married name was only issued until the expiry date of the old one, but I'm pretty sure it was free. Might be worth double checking
__________________
Me and He , DS1 , DS2 and DS3 makes our family complete

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Marlea98
DIS Veteran
 
Marlea98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franrose
Crapola, lol. We've just spent $5000 to get citizenship in Australia, and once you do that, you pretty much have to enter/leave on an Australian passport or you aren't looked upon very favourably by Aus customs. Which means we will need to get a family's worth of brand new passports for our Dec trip, even though we have perfectly good, not-expired NZ ones. I'm too scared to look at the cost lol.
But, you can carry Australian vegemite now and not that fake New Zealand made stuff that tastes weird

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Marlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
 
BecBennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Bec, are you sure? I am pretty sure it didn't cost anything more than new photos when I changed my name. My new passport in my married name was only issued until the expiry date of the old one, but I'm pretty sure it was free. Might be worth double checking
Yeah it's to do with the marriage certificate, it's really stupid and I had the same issue when trying to change my name on my drivers license. Over in the US you're only given a certified copy of your marriage certificate, whereas here you're given the original. Both organisations (BD&M & RTA) require the original marriage certificate to change your name.

As I only had a certified copy I had to change my name by deed poll, and a name change via deed poll doesn't allow you to get a free new passport. Really stupid technicality
__________________
BecBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Marlea98
DIS Veteran
 
Marlea98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett

Yeah it's to do with the marriage certificate, it's really stupid and I had the same issue when trying to change my name on my drivers license. Over in the US you're only given a certified copy of your marriage certificate, whereas here you're given the original. Both organisations (BD&M & RTA) require the original marriage certificate to change your name.

As I only had a certified copy I had to change my name by deed poll, and a name change via deed poll doesn't allow you to get a free new passport. Really stupid technicality
My name was misspelled on my birth certificate slightly and it only caused a problem when I went to apply for my passport. I would have had to change my name by deed poll and pay for the privilege so it was just easier to have that error on my passport. But I didn't have a problem 'changing' my name on my licence or anything to reflect my 'real' name! I just have to remember when doing any flights or ESTAs or anything like that to use the 'right' spelling and not my real one! Ugh! Headaches

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Marlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran
 
zanzibar138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,254

Try getting one with a rush fee and a lost fee on top - $500 for one passport

And Bec I feel your pain. DH and I had to both change our names by deed poll too, because we decided to only use one of his surnames (he had a hyphenated name). If we'd thought to get his name changed by deed poll *before* we got married, I wouldn't have had to do it!
__________________

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #15
Franrose
DIS Veteran
 
Franrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kiwi Queenslander
Posts: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
I'll frighten you right here then Franrose! Adults are around $240, kids $120. Adults are for ten years and kids five.


(Admittedly, the 10 year thing is pretty cool since NZ ones are 5 years for both adults and children. Please Australia, don't change the rules before I have to get one!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98 View Post
But, you can carry Australian vegemite now and not that fake New Zealand made stuff that tastes weird
Marmite:
Vegemite:
__________________
DL, WDW... 80s, 90s, 2004, 2011, 2013, ...?

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.