Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Aww, that poor bride. With that many issues, I would have been upset about the dessert party, too!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePin Princess View Post
Just joining now! That wedding looked amazing!
Thanks! Welcome along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz2notz View Post
Looks like you had a great start to your solo trip. Looking forward to reading more.
It was definitely a great way to start off the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Joining in! Loved the wedding photos - we were married on June 27th and our colors were the same! (that was a billion years ago tho but wish we had done a Disney wedding or at least Disney themed - loved the colors and the cake was so beautiful!).

Your room has a fantastic view and so pretty! Can't wait to read more of your solo trip
Oh wow, congrats on your recent wedding anniversary then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Becky, I read your blog post on Disney solo and I just have to tell you that you absolutely nailed it!
Honestly I could not have laid it out any better, both the positives and they negatives.

Everything you mentioned is exactly right from being able to do what you want when you want without the worry that your affecting anyone else. That's the biggest plus of all.

And yup, the biggest negative (for me anyway) was whenever you had to wait in a line because, you're right, there's not a lot to do. Sometimes that can be overcome if you are able to strike up a conversation with someone else in the line (which I did on occasion), but that's not always doable.

Nonetheless, I agree that the pros far out way the cons. Well done!!
Thanks so much!! I did enjoy being solo even more than I thought I would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I'm in! Aww, that poor bride. With that many issues, I would have been upset about the dessert party, too!
Yeah... luckily by the time we got to the showing of Fantasmic she was in a much better mood, but it would definitely be hard to deal with something like that on your wedding day!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom Morning and Cape May Cafe

Well, I woke up bright and early to head off to that magical land called the Magic Kingdom! I was planning to go to breakfast at Cape May with the bride and groom and other wedding guests - they had a "farewell breakfast" planned that was pay your own way. The reservation was at 11. Since I was relying on Disney transport I would have to take a bus to a park anyway to get another to Beach Club, so I figured it made sense to arrive at MK at opening and maybe get a few rides in!

I arrived just in time for the opening show. I have to admit that this was another point where the advantage of being by myself came in. That crowd outside before they let you into MK can get pretty tight. But with just myself I was able to manuever into a decent position for the opening show, and then get into the park (and around all of those strollers!) without it slowing me down too much.

Helloooo, castle!

I was a little bit torn about which way I wanted to head. Did I go right, to Space Mountain, or left to Splash? I had been talking about this conundrum with my husband the night before. After talking it out I decided tomorrowland made more sense, since I could probably do Space, Buzz, and Monsters Inc. in the time I had that morning. Plus early in the morning when it's not super hot and you have to be at breakfast in 2 hours is probably not the best time to get all wet.

But then I was there, by myself in Disney World, and I knew I had to go on my favorite ride first thing - so Splash Mountain it was! I headed toward Frontierland.

Before I reached Splash I noticed Chip and Dale out for photos in their cowboy outfits. There was literally one person in line, as everyone else was heading towards Splash and Big Thunder. I figured, why not? and hopped on the line to meet them. I didn't think it would slow me down too badly, and even if I only got to ride Splash that morning that was fine with me, as I'd be back in MK later in the trip!

Then I continued to my favorite (at least one of my two favorites!) ride!

The good news is, I didn't have to wait at all! I walked right on easily, so I was very glad I'd stopped for a Chip and Dale picture when it wasn't crowded. Another advantage of the lack of crowds and being by myself so that I got my own row on Splash Mountain. It was kinda neat to get to experience the ride by sitting in the middle instead of off to one side! Plus, I didn't get too wet since I wasn't right up against a side where water would slosh in on you After Splash I checked the wait for Big Thunder and it was only 5 minutes so off I went to that one! Another one where I got the seat to myself!

It was only about 9:40 now, and I was planning to leave the park around 10:20 so I had enough time to try something else. I wasn't sure where to go, but I made my way toward the hub with thoughts of maybe trying to jump on Space Mountain if the wait wasn't too bad, or just take pictures around New Fantasyland. I checked my times guide and realized that Tiana was out doing meet and greets starting at 9:30 - I was right nearby and decided to go find her!

I was successful, and only had a few groups in front of me so not much of a wait. Tiana is one of my two favorite princesses but I'd never had the chance to meet her before, so I was excited! Plus, one of the items on my Disney Bucket List is to get a picture with every princess. Tiana was one of the ones that I was missing. She was super sweet. She told me I had a great smile, and I told her I'd been trying to meet her for ages! She was just never around in the area when I was there before.

Since I was nearby I decided to go see Merida as well - she was another Princess I hadn't done. The wait here was definitely longer (I probably waited about 25 minutes), but once you got into the meet and greet area I was impressed by how much they had going on especially for the kids. The decor is really cool, and there's a coloring station and a practice bow and arrow shooting with a CM. The kids can go play while mom and dad wait in line!

Merida was sweet, very talkative haha. She also suggested a fun pose for our picture:

By then it was 10:15, so I made my way out of the park. I stopped for some photopass pictures and got a TinkerBell magic shot, and then picked up some Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards.

The wait at the Beach Club bus stop was long. I probably waited about 25 minutes before I got on that bus. I knew it might be a long wait, since there are few people going back to the resorts at 10:30 in the morning. But the thing that really got me was that the bus was sitting there the whole time I was waiting, it just hadn't been given the orders to be able to go so it had to wait. It was annoying, and I know the bus driver felt bad, but I guess there was nothing to be done. Nevertheless, I made it to Beach Club right around 11.

We were a group of about 8 and seated right away. We grabbed some food from the buffet - it was a nice variety, and a pretty good breakfast buffet! We also got to meet Minnie, Goofy, and Donald in their beach wear.

I'm not 100% sure what that pose with Donald is really supposed to be? But he wanted me to do it!

As a special surprise the parents of the groom offered to help pay for everyone, so I didn't even have to pay for this meal - even though I tried! The bride and groom were off to their resort for a bit but offered to drop me off at Animal Kingdom, which was my next destination for the afternoon. It was very kind of them, and I ended up at Animal Kingdom by 12:30!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
ThePin Princess
disney princess

Great update! I loved that picture of the castle! I haven't met Merida or Tiana either and I've wanted to for a while.
ThePin Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
lovelygirl1975
Mouseketeer

Subbing! Great pictures and the wedding looked beautiful. I was so concerned for luggage. Thank goodness that was worked put in a couple of sentences.

ASMu-2007, CSR-2012, CSR-2013, AKL-1/2014, CSR-10/2014
Offsite: 1991, 1993, 1996, 2005
lovelygirl1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #36
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePin Princess View Post
Great update! I loved that picture of the castle! I haven't met Merida or Tiana either and I've wanted to for a while.
Thank you! I was lucky to meet both of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelygirl1975 View Post
Subbing! Great pictures and the wedding looked beautiful. I was so concerned for luggage. Thank goodness that was worked put in a couple of sentences.
Welcome! Yes, even though the description was only a couple of sentences, and it was really only an hour and half that my luggage was missing, it did feel like forever! I was on the phone with my husband for a potion of it and he was keeping me calm, but then my phone battery was dying and with the charger in my luggage, well... but all's well that ends well!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #37
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Love you pics!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #38
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Hahaha, too funny that after all that you still went to Splash. Which is what I totally would have done as well.

Wait, did you copy my Bucket List? I had the same goal of a photo with every Princess, and Tiana was the last on the list. Of course then Disney went and coronated Merida, so now I'm back to missing one. I think I'll wait until she's in a Fastpass location though, hehe.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
klacey1
DIS Veteran

What a fun morning! You got some great character shots-- I love the ones with Chip & Dale and Tiana!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #40
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Love you pics!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Hahaha, too funny that after all that you still went to Splash. Which is what I totally would have done as well.

Wait, did you copy my Bucket List? I had the same goal of a photo with every Princess, and Tiana was the last on the list. Of course then Disney went and coronated Merida, so now I'm back to missing one. I think I'll wait until she's in a Fastpass location though, hehe.
I know, Merida's line is usually crazy! I think if you can get there first thing it's a little better though. So funny about the bucket list - I just posted my whole Disney bucket list on my blog (http://disneyinyourday.com/2013/07/1...y-bucket-list/)... so far I have 42 items on it but I'm always looking to add more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
What a fun morning! You got some great character shots-- I love the ones with Chip & Dale and Tiana!
Thanks! The characters are so fun!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #41
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Afternoon

Once my friends dropped me off at Animal Kingdom, I headed straight for Expedition Everest. I was meeting with my friend Nicola later that afternoon, but she was still having lunch and would be around shortly. So I used the single rider line and only had to wait about 15 minutes!

I wasn't sure how much longer it would be til my friend showed up so I didn't want to do another ride or a show. I walked the Maharajah jungle trek and took some more pictures.

I also bought some Beauty and the Beast vinylmations, since I collect those. I ended up getting a variant! If you don't know about vinylmations, the variants are super rare. But it was a character I wasn't really into (one of the Bimbettes that follows Gaston around), so don't judge me - I ended up selling it on eBay... for over $100! So I'll use that money to buy the ones I really want like Belle and the Beast.

Around 1:30 I met up with my friend, and we headed for the safari. It was drizzling very slightly, and the animals weren't super active, but we did see some cool stuff... the elephants were splashing around in the water and the male lion was actually standing up!

It started raining really hard as soon as we got off the safari. We were trying to get to the Nemo show, as I'd never seen it before and was curious. Even though it was 10 minutes before showtime the theater was full already - I'm guessing a lot of people ran in there when it started to pour. So instead we went to meet Mickey and Minnie at their new meet and greet in their safari gear! I don't have a pic right now since I'm still waiting for my photopass disc.

Then we decided to stake out spots for the parade, since the rain had stopped and that was something else that I'd never seen. It was definitely cute, though it didn't blow me away or anything. I'm not super into the parades but I'm glad I got to see it once, and we had a pretty decent spot.

We poked around one of the gift shops for a little while, and then it started to rain again. Nicola had to leave, but I made my way over for the 5:00 Nemo show. This time I was earlier and got in! The musical was cute, and some of the songs were pretty good - others were very cheesy, but hey, that's Disney!

I rode Everest again, and then decided to do the Safari one more time since I can never get enough pictures of the animals. The rain was still drizzling very slightly, so the safari was pretty empty. The guy told me I could have a whole row to myself, which I was excited about since I wouldn't have any heads in my way on either side! And then when it showed up there was no one else immediately there, just people still coming down the ramp, so I hopped in and the CM said, "Take her by herself and go!" and that's how I ended up with my own private safari ride!

The empty car behind me:

It was beyond cool. Since I was the only one there she stopped for every animal we saw and asked me if the angle was good for pictures, and pulled up more if I needed her to. It was such a cool moment.

The lion was back to being lazy:

After my private safari I went back to Animal Kingdom Lodge, but this time I got off at Jambo House for my dinner at Boma!

On my way I stopped to look at the animals again (of course), and saw them feeding the giraffes:

I'll write more about it in my dining review, but the meal was pretty incredible. A buffet is a nice type of meal to do by yourself, because there's no sitting around and waiting. I had a glass of wine and tried a bit of almost everything at the buffet. The soups were probably my favorite, but it was all great. And I finally got to try a zebra dome! Here's a glimpse of my dessert plate:

Then it was back to my room to get some rest before heading out to Epcot the next day!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #42
ThePin Princess
disney princess

That's so awesome that you got the whole safari to yourself! I absolutely loved Boma when we ate there, everything is so good! Great update!
ThePin Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #43
klacey1
DIS Veteran

That's so cool that you got a private safari ride!! What a magical moment!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #44
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
I just posted my whole Disney bucket list on my blog (http://disneyinyourday.com/2013/07/1...y-bucket-list/)... so far I have 42 items on it but I'm always looking to add more!
It's good to have goals in life.

How neat that you got your own personal safari ride!

I think you've got this solo touring thing down -- you managed a nice mix of time alone and time with friends.

Edit:

Hadn't heard of Dapper Day before.

Last edited by shalom; 07-19-2013 at 09:02 AM.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

OK first, wow, that is one ambitious Bucket List. Very impressive. If you are able to pull these off...

Starting Animal Kingdom with Everest... I so approve!!!

Aww I love watching the elephants play in the water. I've only seen it once, so I like to pretend it's a rare occurrence. And great Lion shots!!

I'm with you on the parade. It's very good as far as parades go and very unique but nothing I would make a point to see I don't think.

O...M...G... you're own private truck on the safari. That HAS to a rare thing. That is so cool.
Add that your Bucket List so you can check it off. Not too many people will have that one!!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: