DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,413

How many members change the time of year they go? We started out in summer, early June. Now the past two years, we are going in October. The OP could change plan from Jan, Feb, Sept to the busier times/harder to get times.

Plus they only need a studio. Anyone change their plans from always staying in studios to one bedroom villas? Or decide to bring others along with them? Or wind up with little Disney surprises nine months after that trip? Studios might not always be on the agenda.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Nabas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
I have heard a big portion of VB MF is for Hurricane/flood Insurance. Being a Native Floridian, I would not buy VB. That is a huge variable in the MF. The prices of homeowners insurance goes up significantly annually in FL. I would go SSR or even AKL (value & concierge) for the lower priced resorts.
AKV is a great resort with lots of options for DVC members.

Right now median resale asking price at SSR and AKV are nearly the same ($76/point vs. $78/point). MF is more but, with AKV over SSR, it really feels like you get what you pay for.

P.S. One more thing.

The Op mentioned booking:

Hotel Points
Beach Club 107
Boardwalk 76
Bay Lake Tower 123
Animal Kingdom 102
Wilderness Lodge 107
Grand Floridian 123
Saratoga Springs 90
Old Key West 76

Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to AKV since they mention 102 points, which corresponds to a Savannah View room. AVK's Value Studios are only 69 points while their Standard View Studios are 81 points for September. Taking into account the 90 points needed to book a Studio at SSR, SSR's lower MF doesn't offer much of an advantage.

I realize it's a matter of personal preference but I'd rather stay at AKV over SSR pretty much any day.

Last edited by Nabas; 07-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
But combined, all of these suggest VB is the better option over SSR.

As you write, they are trying to go during low demand times. When is SSR not available at the 7-month window, especially at low demand times?

Right now, the median price at VB is $20-30 less than SSR. (Hard to believe but median asking price at SSR right now is $76/point!) For someone who is price sensitive, SSR is 50% more than VB. That's a lot of lettuce.
Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Besides the fact that you are completely ignoring the compounding increases on significantly higher maintenance fees at VB, I also believe that you are blindly quoting statistics about resale prices without exerting any real effort to interpret what you are seeing. Sure, there are some dreamers out there posting their contracts for ridiculously high prices. And then there are the contracts that are actually selling. Fidelity currently has a 130 point SSR for $60pp. The 2013 points are gone, but my experience suggests that contract (or one like it) can most likely be had for somewhere between $50-55. Granted it was two months ago and things have changed, but I recently bought two SSR contracts with full points for this year for a net price of $46 and $43 each. (I rented out banked points to reduce the cost and then used current points). Your statistic of $76 as the median asking price for SSR contracts is suspect and is not a true indicator of what one can purchase SSR for, even in light of recent price increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
How many members change the time of year they go? We started out in summer, early June. Now the past two years, we are going in October. The OP could change plan from Jan, Feb, Sept to the busier times/harder to get times.

Plus they only need a studio. Anyone change their plans from always staying in studios to one bedroom villas? Or decide to bring others along with them? Or wind up with little Disney surprises nine months after that trip? Studios might not always be on the agenda.
These are all very valid questions. But as it stands we can really only address their needs now. Changing needs will most likely lead to needing more points, and at that time they can consider a second home resort.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
AKV is a great resort with lots of options for DVC members.

Right now median resale asking price at SSR and AKV are nearly the same ($76/point vs. $78/point). MF is more but, with AKV over SSR, it really feels like you get what you pay for.

P.S. One more thing.

The Op mentioned booking:

Hotel Points
Beach Club 107
Boardwalk 76
Bay Lake Tower 123
Animal Kingdom 102
Wilderness Lodge 107
Grand Floridian 123
Saratoga Springs 90
Old Key West 76

Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to AKV since they mention 102 points, which corresponds to a Savannah View room. AVK's Value Studios are only 69 points while their Standard View Studios are 81 points for September. Taking into account the 90 points needed to book a Studio at SSR, SSR's lower MF doesn't offer much of an advantage.

I realize it's a matter of personal preference but I'd rather stay at AKV over SSR pretty much any day.
But here's the thing...you have to go by what the OP is saying she wants. So it's not fair to use value studios as a basis for comparison just so you can mitigate the difference in maintenance fees if she wants to stay in a Savanna view studio. I may be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but it seems like you are more interested in winning an argument than helping the OP figure out what would be a good fit for her. You're using assumptions that conflict with the OP's desires and you're quoting unreliable median sales prices as if they have any actual influence on what the OP might pay for her contract.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie <3wdw View Post
2. We think we need 110pts but that might be really hard to get. Would you get 120pts and be safe?

3. Is there a difference between TSS or ********** for buying dvc through?

Thanks for the help!
If you are buying resale you will need to be somewhat flexible with how many points you buy. A 110 point contract might not be available, but a 100 or 130 point contract may. Typically I would recommend buying a few more points than you think you need (if it's not a financial strain) so that you have flexibility rather than a problem when it comes to booking. You can always bank extra points into the following UY so you can use them in the future.

With regards to resale brokers, TTS will provide you with great service but their listings are typically a bit more expensive. http://fidelityresales.com/ is another option as they frequently have lower priced listings, but their service is not nearly as good as TTS and they will charge you a $195 fee simply for buying that I personally find gratuitous.

Also keep in mind that the list prices are only asking price, you are free to offer lower and see what the seller says. Good luck!
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #21
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,605

BLT is ALWAYS going to be harder to get than SSR. SSR is ALWAYS going to be cheaper to buy than BLT, probably by around $30/point minimum. So which is more important? Spending $3000+ and always getting into BLT or saving $3000+ and taking what you can get.

For points, don't be looking at the cheapest rooms because you are not going to get them most of the time. So use BWV garden view, BLT lake view and AKV savanna view and you'll have a better idea of the points you need.

If you're number one priority is to save money when purchasing and are happy taking whatever resort you can get, then buy SSR. And if you are going to book a lot within 7 months, buy SSR sine at that point you've lost your home resort booking advantage.

I'm also not a fan of owning off site resorts for using mostly at WDW.

Daddio has a list showing when to book rooms
http://www.dvcrequest.com/how_soon_should_i_reserve.htm

Good luck
__________________



DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
BLT is ALWAYS going to be harder to get than SSR. SSR is ALWAYS going to be cheaper to buy than BLT, probably by around $30/point minimum. So which is more important? Spending $3000+ and always getting into BLT or saving $3000+ and taking what you can get.

For points, don't be looking at the cheapest rooms because you are not going to get them most of the time. So use BWV garden view, BLT lake view and AKV savanna view and you'll have a better idea of the points you need.

If you're number one priority is to save money when purchasing and are happy taking whatever resort you can get, then buy SSR. And if you are going to book a lot within 7 months, buy SSR sine at that point you've lost your home resort booking advantage.

I'm also not a fan of owning off site resorts for using mostly at WDW.

Daddio has a list showing when to book rooms
http://www.dvcrequest.com/how_soon_should_i_reserve.htm

Good luck
Great point about what room categories to use when making the estimates for point requirements. One issue I have with Daddio's list, however, is that if you'll notice, it basically says that you need the 11 month window for everything except a few room categories at AKV, OKW and SSR. While we know that these resorts are typically the ones with short notice availability, I think that an overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence would suggest that other resorts are available at the 7 month window during many times of the year. I think that one needs to take that lists with a grain of salt as well as consider the time of year one is travelling to determine exactly how much (or little) these guidelines apply.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)
 
jimmytammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 7,531

Here is my best advice based on my knowledge as an owner since 2001

1. Buy where you want to stay as your #1 priority. 11 mos window at BLT will be at a premium for several years. If this is your 1st choice, stick with it. SSR, OKW and at times, AKL will be available for 7 mos booking because of size alone.
2. Consider buying pts. from a reseller as well as direct. We bought 4 contracts direct, one recently from TSS(who I highly recommend for their professionalism).
3. Buy more pts if possible than you think you will need, your habits will change(at least ours did) as we went from 2 adults/2 kids in studios to 2 adults/2 teens(who need their privacy as well as mom and dad)in 1 bedrooms. Plus, you may want to take friends/family and share your love of DVC/WDW. This will afford you the ability to continue the once a year trips, or longer trips, or better yet 2 or 3 trips a year(again, based on personal exp.)
4. Its always nice to think you can book BCV, VWL, BWV, VB, HH, Aulani, GCV and soon to be GFV anytime slow season within 7 mos window(didn't include SSR, AKV or OKW for reason mentioned above, though this isn't scientific)but this isnt 100% always the case. Waitlisting is an option, but doesn't always come through.
5. From your post, I was gathering you are thinking of buying into several different resorts. If I am wrong about this, sorry ahead of time, but if this is the case, my advice, don't do it. You will spend more time moving around than spending time having fun. Ex...we booked a studio at OKW, 2 nights to save pts for the weekend, relocated OKW in a 1 bed for remainder of trip. Thinking we are there, we wait til 11 to check out of studio, hoping to get into 1 bed soon after, we killed the day packing, waiting til 6pm to get into the 1 bed(our fault, we should have known better). To save pts we like to book at All Stars on weekend at start of trip, then move to our permanent DVC resort for remainder of trip.
6. Get your pts all in the same use year.
7. Finally,(you thought it was never going to end, didn't you), don't use pts for cruise or trade for other timeshare besides DVC. Sounds good til you start looking at how many pts it takes to do so.

This again is all personal advice based on our individual needs and exp. through the years. I'm sure others have given better advice, and I value all theirs as well as I am still learning new things about DVC
__________________
jimmytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran
 
lovin'fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Too far north
Posts: 3,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie <3wdw View Post
My husband and I have been going to DW together every year (married the past 3) for the past 6 years and we forsee us going every year in the future. We have stayed at Pop and BLT over the years and really liked BLT. We think it is time to take the plunge into DVC

We have done some research but need some advice. We typically visit DW in the slower times of the year; January/February/September and it is just the two of us; so we only need a studio. We will probably go in September most often.

1. We have it narrowed down to buy into BLT or SSR via resale. We are leaning toward SSR since it is cheaper, but fear if we do want to stay at BLT it will be hard to get a room in the above months. I don't know if it is a big deal since we plan on staying in multiple DVC resorts over the years like BCV/BWV/AKL at first. Here is how we ranked in order the resorts with the points we think we need:

Hotel Studio Points
Beach Club 107
Boardwalk 76
Bay Lake Tower 123
Animal Kingdom 102
Wilderness Lodge 107
Grand Floridian 123
Saratoga Springs 90
Old Key West 76

2. We think we need 110pts but that might be really hard to get. Would you get 120pts and be safe?

3. Is there a difference between TSS or ********** for buying dvc through?

Thanks for the help!

I would suggest trying to get around 120 points. Early to mid Sept is an easier time to book DVC as is Jan and Feb. We have used OKW points to stay at almost all the resorts (will have done all east coast DVC by this Dec, except VGF). We added on HH (since that is tough to book for summer and we alternate years at beach and WDW) and AKV (for booking the value and standard view villas to save points...and because SIL owns AKV and we do many family trips). Certain views at BLT are tough to get at 7 month window...BWV is tough to get standard or BW view (we have always gotten garden/pool view)...BCV (and BWV) is tough to get at busy DVC times like F&W, they are smaller resorts and generally tougher to get (but not impossible)...AKV concierge and value villas are tough to get at 7 months out as well.

I do agree that your needs will change as your family grows. We went from planning to go to WDW twice every year and staying in 1BRs...to moving from NC to MD (and thereby cutting our trips to WDW back) and needing 2BRs because our 3 kids are now teens (need 2 bathrooms and separate bedroom for them to stay up late and sleep in late). We also used to be able to go end of Sept-beginning of Oct (we would do the week before F&W and had no trouble with 7 month window), when kids were in year-round schools in NC...now they are in traditional HS (here in MD) and our DDs play year-round club softball, so our vacation dates are very very limited (basically Xmas, Thanksgiving, the short winter semester break in Jan and 3 weeks in Aug).

Good luck on your hunt for a DVC contract!!
__________________
UP NEXT: Aug 12-17: SSR and BWV (just DDs and I) then Aug 17-22: HHI (all 5 of us)

Last edited by lovin'fl; 07-07-2013 at 08:00 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,106

Age may be a factor for you.

We own BWV and love BWV - but we are in our late 40s and will be nearing 80 when the contract runs out. If you are in your 20s, BWV may not see you to grandkids. (It may not see me to grandkids, but that will be other issues, not the expiration date). For someone in their 20s a phase one resort (BWV, BCV, nonextended OKW, VWL) may not be a great choice.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
julie <3wdw
"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining and the end of every day"
 
julie <3wdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NW AR
Posts: 57

Thanks for all of the responses!

After talking it over and weighing all of the options we have to decided to try and get points at BLT via resale!

We didn't want to risk being "stuck" at SSR if nothing was available during the time we wanted.

Any tips/tricks on trying to find a resale since they seem to go pretty quick? I have been looking at the ROFR & Sales threads so I think I have a pretty good idea of what we want to pay.

Thanks!
__________________


julie <3wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
CraigD
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 27

We recently had the same thought... Didnt want to be Stuck anywhere. Sounds crazy coming out of my mouth, stuck at disney, but true. You may want to consider Beach Club or Animal Kingdom. Both more than SSR, but nice resorts, and happy medium price wise As far as resales.

You need to watch daily on the Link at the top of these pages... Be quick. You can lose one you like in a matter of minutes/hours. When you see it, call and tell them you are ready to go. If you offer ask price, then the owner must take it per the TSS process atleast. However, if you mess around, you may have multiple people trying to work deals too... we had a tough time haggling over 1, 2, 3 dollars per point after losing 3 contracts we wanted due to being too late. Just seemed more of a hassle and someone else was willing to pay ask.
CraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reston, Va.
Posts: 6,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
We recently had the same thought... Didnt want to be Stuck anywhere. Sounds crazy coming out of my mouth, stuck at disney, but true. You may want to consider Beach Club or Animal Kingdom. Both more than SSR, but nice resorts, and happy medium price wise As far as resales.

You need to watch daily on the Link at the top of these pages... Be quick. You can lose one you like in a matter of minutes/hours. When you see it, call and tell them you are ready to go. If you offer ask price, then the owner must take it per the TSS process atleast. However, if you mess around, you may have multiple people trying to work deals too... we had a tough time haggling over 1, 2, 3 dollars per point after losing 3 contracts we wanted due to being too late. Just seemed more of a hassle and someone else was willing to pay ask.
Just want to make sure you know there's more than one resale broker, right? TSS is fantastic to work with, but I don't want to see you limit your buying pool to just one broker.
__________________
Missy and Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 10/13 Past TR: 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie <3wdw View Post
Thanks for all of the responses!

After talking it over and weighing all of the options we have to decided to try and get points at BLT via resale!

We didn't want to risk being "stuck" at SSR if nothing was available during the time we wanted.

Any tips/tricks on trying to find a resale since they seem to go pretty quick? I have been looking at the ROFR & Sales threads so I think I have a pretty good idea of what we want to pay.

Thanks!
So you answered the question about what your risk tolerance is. I don't blame you. I bought BWV and BLT in order to have the 11 month advantage at both resorts...it was that important to me. But I frequently found that the rooms I wanted at those locations were available within 7 months, so I bought a SSR contract as well to use for just that purpose.

You simply need to keep on top of the listings and when you see one you like, act immediately. I once almost lost a deal because my full price offer was equal to another person's, but was time stamped 1 minute after theirs. Also, keep in mind that the ROFR thread prices reflect some of the better deals to be had, and if you are motivated by an easy purchase over savings then you might end up having to pay more than what is indicated there. Good luck!
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.