DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,619

Purchasing DVC - how many points???

So we've received the Fed Ex packet and read through all the DVC propaganda. I've perused the DVC boards. We're starting to get serious about purchasing. I know that your number of points depends on the amount of your investment.

My question is how many points do you get at say the minimum investment? And then how much more is the next level and how many points are allotted then? I just haven't found anywhere that explains this, and I'm not quite ready yet to call and ask. Thank you!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran
 
Pirate Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 920

OK you need to read a bit more...check the charts and see how many points you would need in the size of unit you want...check out which DVC resort you want. Buy where you want to stay. So, the next level of investment depends on you...how many points you want/need/can afford. Will you travel every year, twice a year...factor in all your expenses.

Happy reading/Hunting
__________________
Pirate Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
rackle
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 95

I'm pretty sure you can buy whatever amount of points you would like. The current minimum direct is 100 but special permission is usually granted for less points if requested. If you are buying resale, you have to take what you can find that works for you. Did your fedex package include the point charts for the resorts? If not, you can look them up online. To figure out the amount of points you need you'll have to figure out

- How often you want to stay?
- How long you want to stay?
- How big of a room you want to stay in?
- What time of year do you plan to stay?
- What resorts do you want to stay in?

For our family, we went with 250, we plan on doing a week every year in a 1-bedroom during summer break. Everywhere we want to stay ranges between 220-290. You'll also need to figure out which resort you want to be your home resort and depending on the resort whether buying resale vs. direct is the better option for you.
rackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackle View Post
I'm pretty sure you can buy whatever amount of points you would like. The current minimum direct is 100 but special permission is usually granted for less points if requested. If you are buying resale, you have to take what you can find that works for you. Did your fedex package include the point charts for the resorts? If not, you can look them up online. To figure out the amount of points you need you'll have to figure out

- How often you want to stay?
- How long you want to stay?
- How big of a room you want to stay in?
- What time of year do you plan to stay?
- What resorts do you want to stay in?

For our family, we went with 250, we plan on doing a week every year in a 1-bedroom during summer break. Everywhere we want to stay ranges between 220-290. You'll also need to figure out which resort you want to be your home resort and depending on the resort whether buying resale vs. direct is the better option for you.
Yep, we got the points chart. And actually, we're also leaning towards 250 points - like you, the places we want to stay are in that 220-300ish range. Dh is a teacher, so we usually travel in the summer. I just didn't know, from all the materials, if 250 was a minimum amount, or if it was more or less. The pp answered that by indicating that the minimum is 100 points. So, now I think I've got it - we CAN purchase at 250 points as its above the minimum.

Now we just need to figure out where we want home" to be. Pretty sure we're going to buy direct. Thank you for the advice!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
Yep, we got the points chart. And actually, we're also leaning towards 250 points - like you, the places we want to stay are in that 220-300ish range. Dh is a teacher, so we usually travel in the summer. I just didn't know, from all the materials, if 250 was a minimum amount, or if it was more or less. The pp answered that by indicating that the minimum is 100 points. So, now I think I've got it - we CAN purchase at 250 points as its above the minimum.

Now we just need to figure out where we want home" to be. Pretty sure we're going to buy direct. Thank you for the advice!
Any reason you are going to purchase direct from DVC?
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

Any reason you are going to purchase direct from DVC?
Only because then we can get what we want for sure. And I thought I'd read that in order to have access to the Disney and Concierge collections, you have to buy direct? Buying direct isn't set in stone, just what we're leaning towards. I'm open to suggestions as to the pros/cons of resale vs direct!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
Only because then we can get what we want for sure. And I thought I'd read that in order to have access to the Disney and Concierge collections, you have to buy direct? Buying direct isn't set in stone, just what we're leaning towards. I'm open to suggestions as to the pros/cons of resale vs direct!
You are about 5% into a 100% learning experience. I recommend that you keep reading the DIS because posts just like yours happen a few times per week and I am sure that you have the same questions as others.

Disney is in business to sell direct.

You are buying a discounted room, no magic, Disney vacations are very expensive even as a DVC owner.

Disney advertises all of the great things that you can do with your points if you buy direct. Most are smoke and mirrors that you can experience more sucsessfully on your own and cheaper by paying cash.

Buying direct can cost you thousands extra compared to resale.

Each resort is a different experience so before you buy, check out the resorts and check out what is like to stay in a DVC room/resort.

DVC is designed for a 95% occupancy rate so depending on the time of year, resort, point season, and when you book, getting the room you want can be a challenge.

Bill



__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
Only because then we can get what we want for sure. And I thought I'd read that in order to have access to the Disney and Concierge collections, you have to buy direct? Buying direct isn't set in stone, just what we're leaning towards. I'm open to suggestions as to the pros/cons of resale vs direct!
You'll want to take a look at the points required for DVC stays and for non-DVC Disney stays. Big difference (a whole lot more for the non-DVC stays).

DVC tends to be an expensive timeshare program.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

You are about 5% into a 100% learning experience. I recommend that you keep reading the DIS because posts just like yours happen a few times per week and I am sure that you have the same questions as others.

Disney is in business to sell direct.

You are buying a discounted room, no magic, Disney vacations are very expensive even as a DVC owner.

Disney advertises all of the great things that you can do with your points if you buy direct. Most are smoke and mirrors that you can experience more sucsessfully on your own and cheaper by paying cash.

Buying direct can cost you thousands extra compared to resale.

Each resort is a different experience so before you buy, check out the resorts and check out what is like to stay in a DVC room/resort.

DVC is designed for a 95% occupancy rate so depending on the time of year, resort, point season, and when you book, getting the room you want can be a challenge.

Bill
I guess what I said came out wrong - I'm aware that the DVC vacations are subject to availability. I'm also QUITE aware of how expensive Disney vacations are as we go every year. I'm in the early stages if research. I'm also a regular DISer, so I came to the DVC boards to learn. I really don't appreciate the condescension. We'll be at the Poly in 4 weeks, and plan to tour the DVC at SSR. I'll continue to research. Trust me, we don't even buy a TV without tons of research.
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran
 
Msmithmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 755

Diznee, you are in the right place. It took me about two months reading these boards before I decided finally where and how much to purchase. Resale was the right answer for me because I wanted the best financial advantage, and it truly saves a ton off of direct purchase. Of course, if your heart is set on VGF, you will have to buy that direct for at least the next year or so.

It is very important to understand how the points system works, including banking and borrowing, 7/11 month booking windows, and how the busy DVC time periods don't reflect the schedule of the busiest months for the parks in general. If you do get a really good grasp on all of this, then buying in can be a great benefit. My family is very happy with the product.

As others have said, beware the marketing smoke and mirrors about the concierge collection and cruising. Both are great vacations; my family also loves the Polynesian. But both- as well as other "exchange out" options- are very expensive in terms of the points they will cost.

Probably the most important advice I would offer is, whether you finally decide to buy direct or resale, do so with cash- not a loan. The interest rates that are charged are very steep: 11%-15% even with good credit. Paying these rates over the course of a ten year loan very seriously degrades any financial benefit you get in buying DVC, versus simply continuing to stay on cash reservations.

If your timeline isn't too urgent, I would recommend you stay on rental points at the property you are most interested in buying to confirm your choice. It's a good excuse for a vacation destination, and for 200+ points, you are talking about an investment of $12k-$30k depending on resort and purchase method. That's a new car cost. Few of us would buy a new car without test driving it first. So if you can, test drive DVC before committing. Good luck...
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
DVC Mike


DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV
 
DVC Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 550 miles from WDW
Posts: 4,319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
I guess what I said came out wrong - I'm aware that the DVC vacations are subject to availability. I'm also QUITE aware of how expensive Disney vacations are as we go every year. I'm in the early stages if research. I'm also a regular DISer, so I came to the DVC boards to learn. I really don't appreciate the condescension. We'll be at the Poly in 4 weeks, and plan to tour the DVC at SSR. I'll continue to research. Trust me, we don't even buy a TV without tons of research.
Good luck with your research and decision making. I am glad I purchased DVC!
__________________
My Disney photos on Flickr

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmithmd View Post
Diznee, you are in the right place. It took me about two months reading these boards before I decided finally where and how much to purchase. Resale was the right answer for me because I wanted the best financial advantage, and it truly saves a ton off of direct purchase. Of course, if your heart is set on VGF, you will have to buy that direct for at least the next year or so.

It is very important to understand how the points system works, including banking and borrowing, 7/11 month booking windows, and how the busy DVC time periods don't reflect the schedule of the busiest months for the parks in general. If you do get a really good grasp on all of this, then buying in can be a great benefit. My family is very happy with the product.

As others have said, beware the marketing smoke and mirrors about the concierge collection and cruising. Both are great vacations; my family also loves the Polynesian. But both- as well as other "exchange out" options- are very expensive in terms of the points they will cost.

Probably the most important advice I would offer is, whether you finally decide to buy direct or resale, do so with cash- not a loan. The interest rates that are charged are very steep: 11%-15% even with good credit. Paying these rates over the course of a ten year loan very seriously degrades any financial benefit you get in buying DVC, versus simply continuing to stay on cash reservations.

If your timeline isn't too urgent, I would recommend you stay on rental points at the property you are most interested in buying to confirm your choice. It's a good excuse for a vacation destination, and for 200+ points, you are talking about an investment of $12k-$30k depending on resort and purchase method. That's a new car cost. Few of us would buy a new car without test driving it first. So if you can, test drive DVC before committing. Good luck...
Thank you for the excellent advice! We have talked about renting points for our next trip to try it out. There's definitely no rush - other than if we do this, I'd rather do it before TOO many more trips go by! We'd also already decided to buy with cash. My dh hates to finance anything! Again, thanks for the advice and I'll definitely keep researching!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran
 
lovin'fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,709

You can buy 100 or more direct as a new owner...as a member, you can add on 25 point contracts. Resale, you can buy whatever is out there...25+. We started with 200 and have since added on to have 425 now. Resale is cheaper than direct. Here is the direct pricing (though you probably already have it) http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions. Here is a link to some resale contracts that us Dis folks have purchased (to give you an idea of what prices resale contracts pass ROFR at) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....01288&page=162. Buying resale takes about 2 months. Though buying direct (at the older resorts) has a wait list sometimes that can take several months too (though if you buy the new resorts, like VGF, then you get your points right away). Both resale and direct charge closing costs now (direct is a tad less than resale, but climbing). If you want to stay strictly at a resort that is tough to book at 7 months out, then buy there (VGF likely will be tough...BCV can be tough...HH and VB are tough in the warmer months and at Thanksgiving...certain views and concierge level is tough at the various resorts...etc- smaller resorts are tougher to book). If you are cool with any of the resorts and/or like to switch things up each trip (as we kind of are...we have preferences, but are happy to make any resort work and have been lucky to try almost all of them out since 2006...will have tried all East coast but VGF by this Dec)....then it doesn't matter as much what resort you buy and you should go for best deal (SSR is best WDW deal going). Good luck on your route to DVC ownership.
lovin'fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
 
Dizneefamily+4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
You can buy 100 or more direct as a new owner...as a member, you can add on 25 point contracts. Resale, you can buy whatever is out there...25+. We started with 200 and have since added on to have 425 now. Resale is cheaper than direct. Here is the direct pricing (though you probably already have it) http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions. Here is a link to some resale contracts that us Dis folks have purchased (to give you an idea of what prices resale contracts pass ROFR at) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....01288&page=162. Buying resale takes about 2 months. Though buying direct (at the older resorts) has a wait list sometimes that can take several months too (though if you buy the new resorts, like VGF, then you get your points right away). Both resale and direct charge closing costs now (direct is a tad less than resale, but climbing). If you want to stay strictly at a resort that is tough to book at 7 months out, then buy there (VGF likely will be tough...BCV can be tough...HH and VB are tough in the warmer months and at Thanksgiving...certain views and concierge level is tough at the various resorts...etc- smaller resorts are tougher to book). If you are cool with any of the resorts and/or like to switch things up each trip (as we kind of are...we have preferences, but are happy to make any resort work and have been lucky to try almost all of them out since 2006...will have tried all East coast but VGF by this Dec)....then it doesn't matter as much what resort you buy and you should go for best deal (SSR is best WDW deal going). Good luck on your route to DVC ownership.
Thanks for the info!
__________________
me, dh, ds13, dd9
'97, '01, '04 -offsite
'08 - CSR
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,102

We love our DVC, we too went every year and when I did the math I realized DVC was the right choice for us. Good luck!
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.