DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis79tim View Post
Some really terrific insight provided here! I appreciate all of you input thus far and welcome additional opinions. I am leaning towards rescinding, and renting points to stay in a dvc resort this fall, and then touring the VGF when there.

I'll be looking at all the information I can get my hands on over the next few days to make the decision that is best for us.

Thanks so much to all of you! Keep it coming!
It always amazes me how many happy DVC owners quickly recommend others do not purchase DVC but it is just the nature of the board and your question. You simply cannot ask your question and not get a "cancel" recommendation here (especially if you buy direct - finance - on a cruise no less). You are, to many, a "high risk" profile even though thousands of people will do the same thing and be very happy. Just accept that on this board. It is not personal, you are just being profiled by how you purchased and the fact you signaled any form of uncertainly by the very nature of your question. Many people who do the same purchase, the same way, will end up loving their DVC purchase. Some, however, will regret it, and those prompt such responses to cancel.

I believe the advice is all given in good faith.

However, it does not mean you made a mistake. In fact, buying VGF direct at this time was probably the best direct buying decision you could make. That being said, check out resale and do not assume it is all wonderful on that side of the purchase either. Resale has its own challenges and you should learn about those as well.

In the end, the knowledge you gain can only help you with your purchase as long as you do not overreact to any one piece of it.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
hab321
Earning My Ears
 
hab321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: A Few Hours from WDW
Posts: 12

I'm not sure where the OP lives, but in my opinion that could have an impact on keeping the contract or not. We just got back from a trip and before leaving, we swung by to talk to our DVC guide. We were with a friend who ended up getting discounted points at HH. It worked well for them and they weren't concerned about the 7month window at WDW resorts. While we were waiting for their paperwork to go through. We started playing with the idea of adding on points. We checked the add on price from OKW to VGF. $20 different pp. We ended up getting the points at VGF as the long term cost of maintanance fees ended up comperable to the price difference pp. I never thought I'd get a chance to stay a the GF or VGF, but now I locked it up and will be able to stay there at least a 5-7 nights per year. Since I live in FL it is easier for me to get there at the non-peak times.
So if the OP lives fairly close, I think 160 points could work just fine.
hab321 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
goNDmay9
Mouseketeer
 
goNDmay9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 339

To the OP. It has been mentioned a few times already, but I wanted to stress the importance of understanding the 7/11 booking window.

How far in advance do you all plan your Disney vacations? For our family, this was the biggest driver not only on where to buy, but whether to even buy at all.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish...
goNDmay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #34
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,413

The thing is, if you are uncertain in any way about this purchase, rescind and study it. You can always buy in again, even in a month or so after you study it. DVC will not deny your right to give them money because you rescind this purchase.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 202

At the end of the day you shouldn't do something because you read it on an internet message board. All the advice in this thread is pretty good - but it has limited practical application because nobody knows you or your situation.

So read all the opinions and then think it over yourself and make a decision. But do it because you got all the facts and came to a conclusion, not because someone on here told you to "keep it" or "rescind it."
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
At the end of the day you shouldn't do something because you read it on an internet message board. All the advice in this thread is pretty good - but it has limited practical application because nobody knows you or your situation.

So read all the opinions and then think it over yourself and make a decision. But do it because you got all the facts and came to a conclusion, not because someone on here told you to "keep it" or "rescind it."
Exactly.

It's clear that the OP is on the fence. So what is the worst case scenario if he rescinds, does his research, comes to the conclusion that VGF is in fact the way to go and then buys in a few months (most likely at the same price)? Now what's the worst case scenario if he keeps and realizes that the contract size/UY/home resort/price doesn't work for him? One is clearly worse than the other.

It's all about risk management, and there is little to no risk in rescinding. Not knowing the OP's situation, I can't see a way to advise that he keeps the contract. Really the two pieces of advice that one could give are rescind or do what you think is best. Anybody telling him to keep it without knowing all of the facts is being irresponsible, in my opinion.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I am not going to get into this again . I am sure any way you look at it there is still money to be saved .
True for some, not for others. Financing a luxury purchase or a timeshare (DVC is both) adds risk and reduces benefit. Whether it does enough of either to move the needle depends on specific situations but USUALLY it does.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #38
Snurk71
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,804

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver

I am not going to get into this again . I am sure any way you look at it there is still money to be saved .
I did a pretty detailed financial analysis when we first bought in - based on our always staying at GF. The math worked out really well for us. I have doubts that the analysis would be positive comparing to a value stay (which is all the OP has stated they've stayed).

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurk71 View Post
I did a pretty detailed financial analysis when we first bought in - based on our always staying at GF. The math worked out really well for us. I have doubts that the analysis would be positive comparing to a value stay (which is all the OP has stated they've stayed).

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards
It's been mentioned before on here, but I don't know exactly where to point you to, that many analyses have been done and over the long term and barring ridiculous market fluctuations, no way has been shown for DVC to save money over staying in Values. So good point.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 16,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurk71 View Post
I did a pretty detailed financial analysis when we first bought in - based on our always staying at GF. The math worked out really well for us. I have doubts that the analysis would be positive comparing to a value stay (which is all the OP has stated they've stayed).
I did a detailed financial analysis but I failed to completely factor in the cost of going on an expensive Disney vacation every year and sometimes 2 or 3 times per year. Ownership and points are one thing but transportation, admission to the parks, hard ticket events, food, and Disney toys increase in cost every year and you will be paying these costs for the length of ownership.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #41
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)
 
twinsouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

I did a detailed financial analysis but I failed to completely factor in the cost of going on an expensive Disney vacation every year and sometimes 2 or 3 times per year. Ownership and points are one thing but transportation, admission to the parks, hard ticket events, food, and Disney toys increase in cost every year and you will be paying these costs for the length of ownership.

Bill
Just to ease your mind a tiny bit--if you are staying in a unit with a full kitchen you really can control food costs. Just make sure you are setting expectations properly and allow people to pick favorite foods, get some groceries, have a spread for kids of unusual treats that they love to pick from so they can each select their park snacks at the beginning of the day. Go out to eat once or twice and it will be all the more special. We used to enjoy the menu planning and anticipation so much! I can remember carefully selecting fruit by the foot and yogurt covered raisins, putting them in my little pack (OK FANNY pack) and thinking about them all day. This is also healthier and will lead to less vacation stomachaches

You can also control/stagger costs of souvenirs/ admissions by incorporating the costs over time in the form of gifts (ask for gift certs)--or handmake souvenirs in advance that don't get revealed until the first/each night/morning of vacation (i.e. dollar store waterbottles with a sketch of a character and name, white tees with mickey appliques... etc. You can also keep an eye on close outs for actual disney merch, or set up your own hotel room boutique with items the kids can pick from each day or the first day.

I am not saying it will be cheap exactly but with the exception of tickets you actually can do it for the same price as a beach vacation or similar. Kids will enjoy it just as much; as evidenced that I remember the one time we went out to eat in 1992 like it was yesterday (the morrocan restaurant in epcot), what treats I picked, and exactly which souvenirs i got with the $20 my grandmother gave me to spend.

Ah simpler times
__________________


Our Feb '14 Pre-Trip Report - Headed to the Grand Floridian Villas!

twinsouvenirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
awilliams4
DIS Veteran
 
awilliams4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis79tim View Post
Hi everyone. First post here, so please pardon if this is the wrong spot.

We just purchased 160 pts at $150 a piece for the Villas at the Grand Floridian while on our recent Disney Cruise.

We are financing, but will most likely have the contract rate paid off within two years.

I along with my wife and two children are disney fanatics. We have only stayed onsite once and that was at All-Star Music. We would never stay off-site again.

We plan on doing one or two 4-5 day trips to WDW each year.

We've contemplated DVC for years, and I know about the resale options out there. VGF isn't available through resale yet and I am thinking when it does it may be more than the $150 a point I am paying for the contract.

Thoughts on this? I'm thinking the clout of the Grand Floridian Villas at the $150/point rate I paid will be good looking back in a few years.

We still have a few days left before the contract is set in stone to back out, so I wanted to reach out to see what the community thought.

We want to own a piece of the mouse and am wondering if this seems like a smart move...

Thanks for your replies.

-Dis79Tim
My opinion....if you are doing DVC and plan to do DVC for a LONG time. Own at a small resort with an expiration date that is far out.

You did both. Good choice. If your loan stretches out a bit though, the choice may not be as good.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #43
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post
Just to ease your mind a tiny bit--if you are staying in a unit with a full kitchen you really can control food costs. Just make sure you are setting expectations properly and allow people to pick favorite foods, get some groceries, have a spread for kids of unusual treats that they love to pick from so they can each select their park snacks at the beginning of the day. Go out to eat once or twice and it will be all the more special. We used to enjoy the menu planning and anticipation so much! I can remember carefully selecting fruit by the foot and yogurt covered raisins, putting them in my little pack (OK FANNY pack) and thinking about them all day. This is also healthier and will lead to less vacation stomachaches

You can also control/stagger costs of souvenirs/ admissions by incorporating the costs over time in the form of gifts (ask for gift certs)--or handmake souvenirs in advance that don't get revealed until the first/each night/morning of vacation (i.e. dollar store waterbottles with a sketch of a character and name, white tees with mickey appliques... etc. You can also keep an eye on close outs for actual disney merch, or set up your own hotel room boutique with items the kids can pick from each day or the first day.

I am not saying it will be cheap exactly but with the exception of tickets you actually can do it for the same price as a beach vacation or similar. Kids will enjoy it just as much; as evidenced that I remember the one time we went out to eat in 1992 like it was yesterday (the morrocan restaurant in epcot), what treats I picked, and exactly which souvenirs i got with the $20 my grandmother gave me to spend.

Ah simpler times
But most people don't see any of those potential savings. Many essentially pay roughly the same per trip they would have paid without DVC (add the yearly DVC cost to that) and they make more trips than they would have otherwise. I think many of us have come to the conclusion that DVC saves almost no one any money but it MAY give added value in other ways.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
But most people don't see any of those potential savings. Many essentially pay roughly the same per trip they would have paid without DVC (add the yearly DVC cost to that) and they make more trips than they would have otherwise. I think many of us have come to the conclusion that DVC saves almost no one any money but it MAY give added value in other ways.
I'd like to see the brake down you have that you never break even on .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #45
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 16,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
But most people don't see any of those potential savings. Many essentially pay roughly the same per trip they would have paid without DVC (add the yearly DVC cost to that) and they make more trips than they would have otherwise. I think many of us have come to the conclusion that DVC saves almost no one any money but it MAY give added value in other ways.
We don't eat out much but any restaurant meals at Disney's prices adds up. The "we are on vacation" disease kicks in and before you know it you are spending more money. The tips alone for all of the CM's will kill you. DDP is out of the question due to the cost, value, and quality and quantity of product. The "it's not money, it's only points" is a constant topic of discussion in our house.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: