DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurk71 View Post
The red flag to me from the OP is only having stayed once in a value. That doesn't sound like the slam dunk deal for some who consistently have stayed deluxe for years or stayed at GF at least once and fell in love.
I thought the same thing; the leap from All Star Music to the Grand Floridian is huge. Moreover, I would think yearly 8-10 day stays in a value would be significantly less over time than a VGF purchase.

When selecting a home resort, I think it is important for one to be able to clearly articulate why a given resort is right for them.
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Brownieone
Earning My Ears

We bought 60 points at VGF on the Disney Fantasy earlier this month and haven't looked back. Very nice resort (and I did see the model room before hopping on the Fantasy--simply amazing). Welcome home.
Brownieone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
I agree and would take it one step further to recind this contract and do more research of all options (unless they know they want and have to stay at VGF). There wasn't anything special about the price on the cruise so if the OP does decide it was the right thing for them they can sign again knowing that they really did their research.
Excellent point. The price just went up to $150, so it's not likely to go up again in the immediate future. Cancel, do the research, and if in a month you decide it's the right move, you've lost nothing.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

If you think you'll want to stay at VGF frequently, keep the purchase. I think it will be tough to get into VGF at 7 months out with other resort points (it's so small and much desired).

If you think you'll use your points for DCL, keep the purchase as resale points cannot be used for DCL (though most people feel it's not the best use of points...some like to do it. Other folks will rent their points and use that $$$ to pay towards DCL).

Just for reference...we just added 100 AKV points via resale and paid $66 pp. You can get AKV points direct from Disney for $145 pp (with the incentives right now, 100 points is about $120ish pp...our $66 pp is almost 1/2 price). But we won't be able to use them for Disney Collection, DCL or Concierge Collection (we can basically do all DVC resorts and trade into RCI)...which is fine with us.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 07-01-2013 at 08:45 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl
If you think you'll want to stay at VGF frequently, keep the purchase. I think it will be tough to use other resort points at 7 months at VGF (it's so small and much desired).

If you think you'll use your points for DCL, keep the purchase as resale points cannot be used for DCL (though most people feel it's not the best use of points...some like to do it. Other folks will rent their points and use that $$$ to pay towards DCL).
Make sure you look at the point charts for cruises, 160 points won't go very far for a family cruise. And there's no cap on those charts, so the points needed for cruises will likely go up each year.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #21
dis79tim
Earning My Ears

Some really terrific insight provided here! I appreciate all of you input thus far and welcome additional opinions. I am leaning towards rescinding, and renting points to stay in a dvc resort this fall, and then touring the VGF when there.

I'll be looking at all the information I can get my hands on over the next few days to make the decision that is best for us.

Thanks so much to all of you! Keep it coming!
dis79tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Buy where you want to stay if you are able to plan ahead within your home booking window & especially during peak seasons (holidays, f&W, & more). Look at the point chart. Room type & time of year to see how many points you need. If your preference is VGF, then keep the contract. It is a small resort that will probably be hard to get into if you are not an owner. However, if that is not your preference or you are not sure if it is, then rescind for sure so you can consider all your options (other resorts, resale). You can also have more than 1 home resort so if you want to stay @ 1 resort during a certain time of year & another during some other time. Lots to consider & a big investment so take your time & do your research. Good luck!
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis79tim View Post
Some really terrific insight provided here! I appreciate all of you input thus far and welcome additional opinions. I am leaning towards rescinding, and renting points to stay in a dvc resort this fall, and then touring the VGF when there.

I'll be looking at all the information I can get my hands on over the next few days to make the decision that is best for us.

Depending on how long you plan to stay on that visit, consider trying more than 1 DVC resort. Some people love doing that, others hate it. Seems a lot depends on family size and willingness to not get too settled in your room.

But if you could spend a few nights at different DVC resorts, maybe in very different areas, like an EPCOT resort and a MK resort, or AKL or OKW, you might decide whether you like being close to the action (and parks) or like to get away to a secluded resort.

Even if you don't do a split stay, maybe you could devote a day or a couple of afternoons to visit some different resorts. Sometimes, if there are empty rooms, you can ask at the desk and you can get to see them.

Treat that visit as a fact finding mission for this big financial decision you will be making.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

I don't think all these other things people are bring up are an issue . I believe you will still find savings even when financed .

But mainly the thread title is what had me worried . "Good move ?" It makes it sound like you have little knowledge of what you bough , and for the amount of money you have spent I think you should know everything about it . Do you fully understand the use years , the 11/7 booking , did you realize you could have bought any of the dvc properties . These are things that I had quite a lot of questions about and they all were not answered in one tour , I went on 3 tours and leaned on a few of my friend that own DVC .

If you understand how it works and you really want to be at GF than I'd say keep it . But if not I'd rescind .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:

My opinion on this is that the price pp is going to skyrocket . So if you have plans to buy VGF within a year or 2 direct just keep the contract cause the pp will likely be around $180 pp .

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #26
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I think if you really want to own VGF to stay there and you know how you are going to use those points buy now because the price is only going to go up and fast.

If you bought on impulse because you got carried Way on a cruise and you would be happier buying a cheaper resort resale and staying at another resort then cancel the contract and buy resale.

DVC can be a great product or an expensive mistake, which it is depends on you being able to define what it is you want. In my opinion the only reason to buy VGF points is to stay at VGF. As long as you have bought am amount of points that give you the accommodations you need at the frequency you need then I would say good decision.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:

Everyone is different but I think that it's fair to guess that DVC changes you. As a owner locked into repeating vacations most at WDW, you will change your mind set about WDW. No reason to rush into the parks to pack as much into the day as possible. You will slow down and enjoy things more, spending more time at your resort enjoying the sights and sounds of Disney.

Because of this picking your home resorts can be important. We bought BLT when it was first offered, we don't really care for the resort now, just not the theming that we enjoy. My adult DD wanted AKV so we both bought some AKV points, that resort isn't our favorite either and if we had stayed at either of those resorts a couple of times, we could have saved some money by not buying and selling.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I don't think all these other things people are bring up are an issue . I believe you will still find savings even when financed .
Do you "believe" this as one would "believe" in Santa Claus or do you know that this will happen because you ran the numbers several different ways against a variety of options? I would love to see an analysis that shows a savings within the first 20 years when financing VGF at $150 pp.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

I would at least hold off.

I think spacemountain made some excellent points, about VGF being a more complex resort, due to size, fixed weeks, december bookings, etc

I for one am a First 10 days of december type...and it will be hard for me to get this year after year. I am going to have to be ready to book at 8 am 11 months out every year.

I did not know about the things spacemtn mentioned, which are bad things for me, particularly because of the fixed weeks and december bookings, HOWEVER, it would not have changed my mind. Here is why:

1. I wanted unrestricted points(meaning a direct buy), and i wanted to be staying at the GF. (these are the two biggest points)

2. I was planning on this December anyway, so assuming I could get the slow season discount that disney usually rolls out in the fall for December, i would have been paying about 4k to stay at the GF, so I have already "recouped" some of my investment.

3. It is my plan to add on via resale, most likely another resort, so if VGF becomes too hard to get for my december trips, I will have another option, and use the vgf points for a different time

4. I am 41 with no children (well, I guess I am the child) so I have a lot of flexibility with vacation times. Plus I own my own business, which increases this flexibility.

All this being said, OP, I would put a hold on your contract and do a little more research.

Depending on when you go, and what type of accommodations you want, 160 points will not be enough for 2 4-5 day trips a year...you might be able to do 1 one year, and two the next year. Check point charts.

The only thing you are giving up by waiting a bit, even if only 2 weeks, is the ability to book NOW vs. in a few weeks.

While no resale expert, i do not think when VGF hits, it will be going for more than 150 at resale...

Also, just out of principle, I would not pay about 10 percent on what is essentially a secured loan!
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Do you "believe" this as one would "believe" in Santa Claus or do you know that this will happen because you ran the numbers several different ways against a variety of options? I would love to see an analysis that shows a savings within the first 20 years when financing VGF at $150 pp.
I am not going to get into this again . I am sure any way you look at it there is still money to be saved .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: