DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Bethshaya
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Canaan, CT
Posts: 437

Need some wise advice...many years since purchase

I need some of your advice.

We currently own BWV at 150 pts with an October Use Year.

I was a single Mom for a long time, and 150 pts was great for getting a Studio every other year.

Many years later, kids are grown, and I am remarried now. Our traveling style has changed.

DH and I love the Cruise. But we don't have enough points to Cruise every other year.

We usually get a verandah (6) and usually do the 7 day Eastern Carribbean (we don't like Mexico so don't do the Western). We also are thinking about doing other cruises, which of course would be more points (like Alaska or Med).

We were married on the Magic in 2011, and just barely squeeked by with points. Now with the price increases, we won't ever have enough.

We're trying to find out if it would be a better deal to purchase more Add On points to our existing contract.

Not sure how much we should get, or if we need to worry about getting the same Use Year or even the costs.

Can anyone help me walk through this before I call DVC?

I don't want to get suckered into something before we know all about it and I know I'll get all into pixie dusy and fairy tales with the sales pitch.
__________________
DVC Member since 1999. BWV.
Bethshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
jillmc40
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
I need some of your advice.

We currently own BWV at 150 pts with an October Use Year.

I was a single Mom for a long time, and 150 pts was great for getting a Studio every other year.

Many years later, kids are grown, and I am remarried now. Our traveling style has changed.

DH and I love the Cruise. But we don't have enough points to Cruise every other year.

We usually get a verandah (6) and usually do the 7 day Eastern Carribbean (we don't like Mexico so don't do the Western). We also are thinking about doing other cruises, which of course would be more points (like Alaska or Med).

We were married on the Magic in 2011, and just barely squeeked by with points. Now with the price increases, we won't ever have enough.

We're trying to find out if it would be a better deal to purchase more Add On points to our existing contract.

Not sure how much we should get, or if we need to worry about getting the same Use Year or even the costs.

Can anyone help me walk through this before I call DVC?

I don't want to get suckered into something before we know all about it and I know I'll get all into pixie dusy and fairy tales with the sales pitch.
From what I have read since my short time being on planet DVC is that your best bet would be to rent out your points, take the cash and pay for a cruise. I do believe, that would be your wisest economic decision.

From what I understand using Davids would be super easy (I have rented from them but not given them points) if you are less inclined to want to deal with it, but you could also probably do it pretty easy here on the board since you have a place that is pretty high demand in the fall for F&W...
__________________




jillmc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Bethshaya
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Canaan, CT
Posts: 437

What is "Davids"?

PPS - Never mind, I found it.

Not sure if I am comfortable renting out our points. Too much of a hassle. I like knowing that our rooms (and on DCL, our food as well) is a covered expense on our points and we don't have to worry about scrambling for cash or large deposits. We also don't have to think about it all year. We don't have to put money away out of every paycheck to cover it. The points are there to use when we want them. We just cover spending money and airfare (if needed).
__________________
DVC Member since 1999. BWV.

Last edited by Bethshaya; 06-21-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Bethshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
jillmc40
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 474

Davids DVC Rentals. They are used on this site, it is www.dvcrequest.com. I used them to rent points and it was super easy. They will give you 11.00 pp and find a renter for you!
__________________




jillmc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,350

Things have changed, do you still want to vacation at WDW, how often?

Do you enjoy DCL or would a different cruise line better fit your new interests?

Bill

__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

David's is a point rental broker. He matches owners who have extra points with clients wishing to rent points and takes a percentage cut. He has a great reputation and this system adds an extra layer of security for both renter and owner.

But bigger picture, if you like cruising, you should simply pay cash to cruise. The value of any timeshare system is in its use of the core element of the system. In this case, the value of DVC is in staying in DVC resorts. Much has changed since you purchased your BWV contract, and not for the better. Point prices have more than doubled, so purchasing points for the sole purpose of cruising is going to be a very, very expensive proposition. Add in the fact that there has been a reduction in the number of cruises and staterooms available to book on points, and that there are extra fees for doing so, and it's not a great idea. It's also not a guaranteed perk, and can be eliminated completely at any time. If you are an existing owner who wants to use points every once and awhile for a cruise that's not an awful idea. But buying more points for the sole purpose of cruising probably is.

If you're not using your DVC points to stay at DVC resorts anymore, then renting the points out is a great option. I don't know too much about your personal situation, but if you're not going to Disney anymore then now might be a great time to sell. Depending on when you bought, you could probably get more for your contract than you paid for it. Hope this helps!
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
ImagineerTHAT
Imaginerd
 
ImagineerTHAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 189

If you are using your points to cruise and don't want to rent, why not sell your deed? It's a great time to sell and you have a sought after location.

If you aren't planning on using the DVC resorts and just want to cruise every other year I would get my money out of DVC, pay cash for a cruise and invest the rest in a low risk option.

I definitely would NOT buy more points direct from DVC just to cruise on points. Would be throwing your money away.
ImagineerTHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
drusba

DIS Veteran
 
drusba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,407

As you have seen the point cost of the cruise has gone up over the years, and you should assume it will continue to do so. Points should not be purchased just to keep doing the cruise. Value wise it is not a good deal, and simply adding points to keep doing the cruise just sets you up for when the cruise point cost will again rise to a level above the points you have in three to four years. You would be better off renting the points you have and paying cash for the cruise.

If you are still bent on getting more points, you should buy points based on their possible use for DVC resorts not the cruise. In your situation that would likely mean purchasing at the same resort. As to same use year, when you purchase through Disney that is what you will get.
__________________
Everything has to have a beginning and an end ... but it is not necessary to have a purpose in between.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Bethshaya
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Canaan, CT
Posts: 437

We still go to DVC resorts from time to time and I don't want to sell my deed. I still want my children to be able to take their children to the resorts in the future. But would like to add some pts so that we have options on where we go in these "empty nest" years. 150 doesn't get us what it used to. We are currently planning a DVC visit in 2014 with the in laws, so we still go. Just not like clockwork, every other year like we used to.

We won't always be going on cruises. But for the next few years (5-10), we would like to take a few. Seeing that we only go every other, or every third year on a vacation anyway, that means only 3 or 4 trips on a cruise.

So maybe I need to get over my fear of renting out my points and just rent them and use the cash for these years. By then, we'll have grandkids and be back to doing the parks again with lil ones and pixie dust in tow.

Thanks guys. I needed a Disney kick in the pants.
__________________
DVC Member since 1999. BWV.

Last edited by Bethshaya; 06-21-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Bethshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
DH and I love the Cruise. But we don't have enough points to Cruise every other year.

We usually get a verandah (6) and usually do the 7 day Eastern Carribbean (we don't like Mexico so don't do the Western). We also are thinking about doing other cruises, which of course would be more points (like Alaska or Med).

We were married on the Magic in 2011, and just barely squeeked by with points. Now with the price increases, we won't ever have enough.

We're trying to find out if it would be a better deal to purchase more Add On points to our existing contract.

Not sure how much we should get, or if we need to worry about getting the same Use Year or even the costs.

Can anyone help me walk through this before I call DVC?

I don't want to get suckered into something before we know all about it and I know I'll get all into pixie dusy and fairy tales with the sales pitch.
If you want to add on more points, it will probably be cheaper to go through a resale agent and yes, you will want your same use year.

Here is a thread that will describe current successful pricing for DVC contracts: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3001288

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
From what I have read since my short time being on planet DVC is that your best bet would be to rent out your points, take the cash and pay for a cruise. I do believe, that would be your wisest economic decision.

From what I understand using Davids would be super easy (I have rented from them but not given them points) if you are less inclined to want to deal with it, but you could also probably do it pretty easy here on the board since you have a place that is pretty high demand in the fall for F&W...
That is the general consensus. Using points for cruising is not a great bargain and you get more "bang for your buck" by renting your points. If you rented out two years at once - 300 points - you would receive $11 per point from David or $3300. Your dues are $5.6458 per point, so you would clear $1606.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
jillmc40
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
What is "Davids"?

PPS - Never mind, I found it.

Not sure if I am comfortable renting out our points. Too much of a hassle. I like knowing that our rooms (and on DCL, our food as well) is a covered expense on our points and we don't have to worry about scrambling for cash or large deposits. We also don't have to think about it all year. We don't have to put money away out of every paycheck to cover it. The points are there to use when we want them. We just cover spending money and airfare (if needed).
I will let Bill and ELMC take over since they are the masters at this stuff...Anything I have learned about this has been from them
__________________




jillmc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
We still go to DVC resorts from time to time and I don't want to sell my deed. I still want my children to be able to take their children to the resorts in the future. But would like to add some pts so that we have options on where we go in these "empty nest" years. 150 doesn't get us what it used to.

We won't always be going on cruises. But for the next few years (5-10), we would like to take a few. Seeing that we only go every other, or every third year on a vacation anyway, that means only 3 or 4 trips on a cruise.

So maybe I need to get over my fear of renting out my points and just rent them and use the cash for these years. By then, we'll have grandkids and be back to doing the parks again with lil ones and pixie dust in tow.

Thanks guys. I needed a Disney kick in the pants.
Sounds like a plan. Good luck and have fun!

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
lorie13
Mouseketeer
 
lorie13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Here is a thread that will describe current successful pricing for DVC contracts: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3001288
Actually the most current resale information is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....01288&page=162.

Buying BWV resale will not allow you to use the points for cruises.

Buying direct from Disney will, but the current cost is $130/point.
lorie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
We still go to DVC resorts from time to time and I don't want to sell my deed. I still want my children to be able to take their children to the resorts in the future. But would like to add some pts so that we have options on where we go in these "empty nest" years. 150 doesn't get us what it used to. We are currently planning a DVC visit in 2014 with the in laws, so we still go. Just not like clockwork, every other year like we used to.
Yes, then I agree that selling your deed is not a good idea. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post

We won't always be going on cruises. But for the next few years (5-10), we would like to take a few. Seeing that we only go every other, or every third year on a vacation anyway, that means only 3 or 4 trips on a cruise.
Based on that information I feel even stronger that you shouldn't buy a new DVC contract to cruise. DVC is a 30+ year commitment. It doesn't seem like a good idea to purchase DVC for 3-4 cruises over the course of 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post

So maybe I need to get over my fear of renting out my points and just rent them and use the cash for these years. By then, we'll have grandkids and be back to doing the parks again with lil ones and pixie dust in tow.

Thanks guys. I needed a Disney kick in the pants.
It really is no big deal. But if you're that scared, you can always find someone to transfer your points to. That way you're not on the hook for a rental and you get paid in advance. Very little risk for you.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
DannysMom
DIS Veteran
 
DannysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

It really is no big deal. But if you're that scared, you can always find someone to transfer your points to. That way you're not on the hook for a rental and you get paid in advance. Very little risk for you.
I agree that transferring points to another DVC owner is a great option. No need to worry about a reservation or an inexperienced renter, just "sell" your extra points to another owner, transfer & be done. You get your cash & they get their points. Seems like there are always owners that want to plan some sort of big trip, but need extra points to do so.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
__________________
--Me! & DH ,- 10 YEARS OLD, mild CP, & a Disney fan & twins, & --4!
DVC BCV owners!
DannysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.