DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Buying VGF...

Kind of a rambling post here with maybe a question.

Tomorrow is the last day to buy before the price increase. We don't really need more points (we now own 200 BLT direct, 150 VGC direct, and 150 BCV via resale) , but we were GF snobs for years before we bought DVC. We also toured the models last week and loved them. Sooooo... thinking about adding on 75 points to have some home resort privilege and own where are hearts were for so many years. The $145 price tag isn't as attractive as the low-mid $90s we got BLT and VGC - VGF isn't the slam dunk financial picture that those 2 were. So I understand VGF is at least somewhat/mostly an emotional buy. But, we don't spend lavishly on other things and can afford the $11k without any pain.

I kind of feel like DVCMike - DW and DD are all for VGF, but I didn't think we needed more points - especially at $145.

Assuming no one will be able to talk me out of buying (you can try), I don't know whether to buy as one 75 point contract ($157 closing cost), a 50 and a 25 ($230 closing cost), or three 25 point contracts ($300 closing cost). Any thoughts on the breakup of the points or not for only 75?

Thanks for reading the ramble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurk71 View Post
Kind of a rambling post here with maybe a question.

Tomorrow is the last day to buy before the price increase. We don't really need more points (we now own 200 BLT direct, 150 VGC direct, and 150 BCV via resale) , but we were GF snobs for years before we bought DVC. We also toured the models last week and loved them. Sooooo... thinking about adding on 75 points to have some home resort privilege and own where are hearts were for so many years. The $145 price tag isn't as attractive as the low-mid $90s we got BLT and VGC - VGF isn't the slam dunk financial picture that those 2 were. So I understand VGF is at least somewhat/mostly an emotional buy. But, we don't spend lavishly on other things and can afford the $11k without any pain.

I kind of feel like DVCMike - DW and DD are all for VGF, but I didn't think we needed more points - especially at $145.

Assuming no one will be able to talk me out of buying (you can try), I don't know whether to buy as one 75 point contract ($157 closing cost), a 50 and a 25 ($230 closing cost), or three 25 point contracts ($300 closing cost). Any thoughts on the breakup of the points or not for only 75?

Thanks for reading the ramble.

I was also toying with the idea of a VGF purchase a few weeks ago, simply because it would be cool to own. I opted against it because I can't just go around buying every cool thing that I see. But if your heart is there, it would be a good purchase for you. Like you said, you are spending close to $11,000 on this purchase. Why wouldn't you spend the extra $143 to get the most flexibility in your contracts? To me, getting three 25 point contracts is a no brainer. Congrats on your decision.
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Candy Orlando
DIS Veteran

We love the Grand because we live in Massachusetts and it reminds us of home. When we saw the model we were so impressed with the architectural elements, we bought enough points to stay in a one bedroom, for a week twice a year. We split the points into four contracts.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
lorie13
Mouseketeer

Split the contracts up, it is only a few dollars more per contract as you know, I would probably do 1 50 and 1 25. BTW we own 270 AKV direct, and 150 BWV resale, so no we did not need VGF, but we did it for ourselves as this is a hotel I want to stay at and I do believe it will be difficult to find rooms after the 7 month window opens.
We just did 3 50 points and the closing costs for all was $388.80 (have not seen the paperwork yet, just the charge to the cc).
Funny but I am sitting here on the last day thinking, should I call and add another 25 points, LOL.
lorie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Buy where you love to stay.

Over the years we bought and sold different resorts. We still have some adjustments to make be we have decided that VWL and VGF will be our MK resorts and BWV will be our Epcot and DHS resort. We will alternate between VWL and VGF every other year and spend a week at the MK resort and a week at BWV.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
wdrl
DIS Veteran

I would probably save the money and buy one 75-point deed.

Are thinking of breaking up your purchase into as many as three 25-point deeds because of some exit strategy?

Are you thinking that 25-point deeds will be easier to sell, or sell for a higher price than a 75-point deed? I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that it will be just as easy to sell a 75-point deed as a 25-point deed. In fact, given that closing costs will run about $327-$400 regardless of whether its a 25-point deed or a 75-point deed, it makes more sense for a buyer to purchase a 75-point deed rather than a 25-point deed.

Are you thinking in the future you might want to sell 50 points and keep 25 points for yourself? If so, ask yourself what you'll be able to book if you retain only 25 points. You'll get a Standard View Studio for one night during Magic Season each year, or three nights every third year. Do you see yourself staying at VGF for just one night at a time, or just once every three years?

No, I'd go for the larger deed.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
Are you thinking in the future you might want to sell 50 points and keep 25 points for yourself? If so, ask yourself what you'll be able to book if you retain only 25 points. You'll get a Standard View Studio for one night during Magic Season each year, or three nights every third year. Do you see yourself staying at VGF for just one night at a time, or just once every three years?

No, I'd go for the larger deed.
I thought about this too. Not much you can do with a 25pt contract... but someone who just wants a few nights every few years there will buy it. Or someone who wants to add on just a bit more points will buy it. I would think someone who goes just for the Halloween or Christmas party at MK will find it useful.

I'd take the 3-25pt contract. The additional cost is nothing compared to your total price. I got a 50pt at the pre-sale, but when I added on last week I broke it up into 25pts.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the comments/feedback.

The reason I was thinking of breaking into 3 contracts is exit strategy, however small that advantage might be. I'm not thinking of the advantage in seeking to a brand new buyer - they would probably need more than 75. I'm thinking more about VGF owners that find themselves a little short and 25 would be a good add on, or an owner of other resorts that might want 25 points for a few nights in a studio every 2-3 years. If I want to get all the way out I can just sell all of the contracts together.

If I was really buying strategically for our trips I would sell 100 of our BLT points and buy 100 VGF. But I think I like the flexibility of not having to bank/borrow much for BLT, BCV, and VGC now (will likely have to start renting out a little due to that though). VGF will actually be our first test of strategically banking and borrowing for trips.

Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: