DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Considering Options

We have talked about buying in to the DVC option since my first visit to Disney in 2008 but decided that we were way to young (21/23) to buy in to something like that. Since then we have been to Disney 6 times and have stayed on property 4 out of the 6)

But now we are back considering the options and have a ton of questions. We would like to have our home resort of the Boardwalk Villa's because of it's proximity and our love of Epcot. We tend to travel in Jan, Feb, July, Sept and would love to do a Disney Christmas at some point down the road.

1. Is there a set cost per point and is it negotiable?
2. Is there a minimum number of points that must be bought (100 points should be more than enough until the add-on bug bites us)
3. If we determine that we don't have enough points for a visit are we able to combine rented points.
4. Most and foremost -How do I calculate maintenance fees? I see that there is a sticky on fees but do I take the current rate for the property and times it by how many points that I would own?
5. Is everyone able to bank points or is this an option that you have to build in to your initial purchase.
6. Is the total due upfront or is it over a period of time like a mortgage.

Thank you all for any help you can offer.
__________________

Disney 2013 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 9!!!! Can't wait




[/url]

Last edited by krolyat; 06-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 7,707

Quote:
But now we are back considering the options and have a ton of questions. We would like to have our home resort of the Boardwalk Villa's because of it's proximity and our love of Epcot. We tend to travel in Jan, Feb, July, Sept and would love to do a Disney Christmas at some point down the road.
A June UY might be your best bet. But no UY covers every month of the year.

Quote:
Is there a set cost per point and is it negotiable?
Direct - the cost is fixed and nonnegotiable

Resale - the cost varies by size of contract, whether the contract is loaded with points or stripped, and the relative desperation of the seller. Cost is definitely negotiable, and usually much lower than direct prices. (You do lose a few low-value trading options if you buy resale, though.)

Also, be aware that BWV contracts expire in 2042 whether you buy direct or resale.

Quote:
Is there a minimum number of points that must be bought (100 points should be more than enough until the add-on bug bites us)
Direct - sometimes a minimum of 160 pts sometimes less.

Resale - no minimum

Quote:
If we determine that we don't have enough points for a visit are we able to combine rented points.
If you dont have enough pts, you can get up to 24 additional pts from Disney directly for $15 per pt at the 7 month window.

You can also try to find a transfer from a BWV owner - their pts are valid for booking BWV at 11 months out (which can be VERY important at some times of the year and for booking standard view villas).

If you rent a reservation from another DVC owner, you are treated like any other renter. You cannot control that reservation in any way. You can try to have MS link the reservation but you'd still have to check out and back in - kind of a hassle.

You can also try to book a cash room through MS. (But its expensive.)

Quote:
Most and foremost -How do I calculate maintenance fees? I see that there is a sticky on fees but do I take the current rate for the property and times it by how many points that I would own?
If you own 100 pts and your annual dues rate is $5.00 per pt, then you pay $500 per year in dues. Easy.

Quote:
Is everyone able to bank points or is this an option that you have to build in to your initial purchase.
Everyone can bank and borrow pts. Banking and borrowing transactions are final and cannot be undone once you do it. You can only bank/borrow to move pts up or back one UY...then they will expire if not used by the end of that new UY.

Quote:
Is the total due upfront or is it over a period of time like a mortgage.
Direct - Disney will finance it for you for up to 10 years (the rate is over 10%, though).

Resale - you are usually on your own to find financing.

Its a luxury purchase and its guaranteed to go to $0 in value eventually&Its up to you but financing DVC is generally a bad idea.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
NoleFan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 634

MF for BWV is $5.84/pp

We just returned from our first stay there this weekend & LOVED it !!! It is also one of our home resorts as we are new DVC owners. Good luck !!! The smaller contracts (100 points or less) are harder to find with high demand right now so take that into consideration with your offer.
__________________
DVC Member 2013
Boardwalk Villas
Beach Club Villas
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
A June UY might be your best bet. But no UY covers every month of the year....
Thank you Chalee94 for your very detailed response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
MF for BWV is $5.84/pp

We just returned from our first stay there this weekend & LOVED it !!! It is also one of our home resorts as we are new DVC owners. Good luck !!! The smaller contracts (100 points or less) are harder to find with high demand right now so take that into consideration with your offer.
Thanks for the update on the MF. I'm happy that it's easy to figure out and not a long complicated equation.
__________________

Disney 2013 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 9!!!! Can't wait




[/url]
krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo
 
papamouse1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carlsbad, NM
Posts: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolyat View Post
...
3. If we determine that we don't have enough points for a visit are we able to combine rented points...
chalee94 did such an amazing job on the questions, there is only one thing I would ad with this particular question you asked. When you rent points from someone, it is true that if they book it, you are stuck. You do have one more option. If you can someone who is renting their points "transfer" points to your account, then the points belong to you for that 1 year and you can make the reservation yourself. The trick is finding someone willing to transfer since you are only allowed 1 transfer per calendar year... but I have seen some on the Buy/Rent boards who have done transfers to people before.
__________________

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
drusba

DIS Veteran
 
drusba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,001

Just adding to the above.

For someone in their 20s you need to consider whether Boardwalk is the ideal place to buy because of its end date. It expires January 31, 2042. That means come that date, when you are in your 50s and still wanting to go annually, you will have nothing left. (The same issue exists for Beach Club Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, some Old Key West contracts, and the two older off-site resorts, Vero Beach and Hilton Head). The end date for Saratoga Springs is 2054, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2057, Bay Lake Tower 2060, and the not yet open Villas at the Grand Floridian 2064. Nevertheless, if what you want is either Boardwalk standard view or boardwalk view, you will need to own at BWV to assure getting those. BWV pool/garden view is easy to get at 7 months out (your window if you own at another resort) from mid- Jan to the end Sep. Rest of year is hit or miss and Christmas week or first tewo weeks of Dec is real difficult.

Disney is currently selling Boardwalk and other already opened WDW DVC resorts to new purchasers at a minimum purchase of 100 points. All the already opened WDW resorts other than BLT and AKV are $130 a point, BLT is $165 and AKV $145 (you can get some price incentives at AKV that varies with total points purchased, but it is still high).

Resale prices vary but are generally 40% or more off the Disney prices. Result: you can buy 160 points or more resale for the price of buying 100 from Disney.

Then for some historical information including the history of annual maintenance fees for each resort go to the top of the thread page on which your post appears with others and click on "Sticky: DVC Resource Center"
__________________
Everything has to have a beginning and an end ... but it is not necessary to have a purpose in between.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
chalee94 did such an amazing job on the questions, there is only one thing I would ad with this particular question you asked. When you rent points from someone, it is true that if they book it, you are stuck. You do have one more option. If you can someone who is renting their points "transfer" points to your account, then the points belong to you for that 1 year and you can make the reservation yourself. The trick is finding someone willing to transfer since you are only allowed 1 transfer per calendar year... but I have seen some on the Buy/Rent boards who have done transfers to people before.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
Just adding to the above.

For someone in their 20s you need to consider whether Boardwalk is the ideal place to buy because of its end date. It expires January 31, 2042. That means come that date, when you are in your 50s and still wanting to go annually, you will have nothing left. (The same issue exists for Beach Club Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, some Old Key West contracts, and the two older off-site resorts, Vero Beach and Hilton Head). The end date for Saratoga Springs is 2054, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2057, Bay Lake Tower 2060, and the not yet open Villas at the Grand Floridian 2064. Nevertheless, if what you want is either Boardwalk standard view or boardwalk view, you will need to own at BWV to assure getting those. BWV pool/garden view is easy to get at 7 months out (your window if you own at another resort) from mid- Jan to the end Sep. Rest of year is hit or miss and Christmas week or first tewo weeks of Dec is real difficult.

Disney is currently selling Boardwalk and other already opened WDW DVC resorts to new purchasers at a minimum purchase of 100 points. All the already opened WDW resorts other than BLT and AKV are $130 a point, BLT is $165 and AKV $145 (you can get some price incentives at AKV that varies with total points purchased, but it is still high).

Resale prices vary but are generally 40% or more off the Disney prices. Result: you can buy 160 points or more resale for the price of buying 100 from Disney.

Then for some historical information including the history of annual maintenance fees for each resort go to the top of the thread page on which your post appears with others and click on "Sticky: DVC Resource Center"
Drusba you have a very good point with the end dates that I completely overlooked. We would be completely fine with a pool/garden view so it would be acceptable to have another resort as my home and book BWV as needed.
__________________

Disney 2013 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 9!!!! Can't wait




[/url]
krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
Direct - Disney will finance it for you for up to 10 years (the rate is over 10%, though).
I don't have the current rates, but they are WAY over 10% -- VERY high interest, especially for a mortgage.
*****

The other issue with financing direct from Disney is that you will start out almost impossibly underwater on your loan. You will be starting out with a large loan on a timeshare interest that is probably worth little more than HALF of what you owe.

The importance of that is if something unexpected happens and you find yourself forced to sell your DVC, you will have to PAY IN a large amount to close just to get out.

Let's say you buy 100 points direct at $130 = $13,000. You pay 10% down ($1,300) and finance $11,700.

A couple of years later, you have a financial setback and need to get out from under the payments for the DVC mortgage and MFs. You sell...but you can only get $65 per point ($6,500) on the resale market (that may be an optimistic guess, BTW). You pay a 10% commission ($650), so your gross proceeds are $5,850. You haven't paid the mortgage down much in the first two years and you owe $10,000. $10,000 - $5,850 = $4,150.

You have to pay IN $4,150 to get out of DVC.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolyat View Post
We have talked about buying in to the DVC option since my first visit to Disney in 2008 but decided that we were way to young (21/23) to buy in to something like that. Since then we have been to Disney 6 times and have stayed on property 4 out of the 6)
I'd like to come back to this initial part of your OP.

You've made just a little more than one trip per year since 2008 -- onsite 4 times, offsite twice.

Where did you stay offsite? In offsite hotels? Or in timeshares, vacation homes, etc?

Where did you stay ONsite? Values? Mods? Deluxes?

Obviously there are advantages to onsite for many people, but is onsite a deal-breaker?

Or could you be satisfied staying offsite for a fraction (maybe a tiny fraction) of the cost?

Could you be satisfied staying offsite in a very nice timeshare that cost you only $2,000 total to buy and less than DVC in annual MFs?

Could you be satisfied renting an offsite timeshare, getting a nice 2 BR reliably for less than $1,000 for an entire week -- with no initial outlay, and no ongoing financial obligation?

Remember that we are talking only about the lodging portion of your vacation cost anyway...and there are many, many options for lodging. DVC is only one option.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
I don't have the current rates, but they are WAY over 10% -- VERY high interest, especially for a mortgage.
*****

The other issue with financing direct from Disney is that you will start out almost impossibly underwater on your loan. You will be starting out with a large loan on a timeshare interest that is probably worth little more than HALF of what you owe.

The importance of that is if something unexpected happens and you find yourself forced to sell your DVC, you will have to PAY IN a large amount to close just to get out.

Let's say you buy 100 points direct at $130 = $13,000. You pay 10% down ($1,300) and finance $11,700.

A couple of years later, you have a financial setback and need to get out from under the payments for the DVC mortgage and MFs. You sell...but you can only get $65 per point ($6,500) on the resale market (that may be an optimistic guess, BTW). You pay a 10% commission ($650), so your gross proceeds are $5,850. You haven't paid the mortgage down much in the first two years and you owe $10,000. $10,000 - $5,850 = $4,150.

You have to pay IN $4,150 to get out of DVC.
Is the $65 the maximum amount that you can resell the timeshare for?
__________________

Disney 2013 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 9!!!! Can't wait




[/url]
krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 642

2. Is there a minimum number of points that must be bought (100 points should be more than enough until the add-on bug bites us)

I am almost positive they made initial buy in for direct 50 points or more . I bought in a year ago . I only bought 100 so it was at least that .

6. Is the total due upfront or is it over a period of time like a mortgage.

When you buy direct and finance my rate is 10.9.% if I had bad credit it would be way higher around 15% . The rate may have went up but it was 10.9% when I bought . The credit is through Disney and does not show up on your credit report .

I don't think financing is bad idea if you plan to pay it off early . Think about it if you had bought DVC when you originally thought about it , and used the money you would have spent on rooms for those trips put towards your DVC you would have likely paid it off already , and bought in at a much lower price per point . You could look up what the price was 5-6 years ago . IDK what the price was exactly but I know it was under $100 .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
I'd like to come back to this initial part of your OP.

You've made just a little more than one trip per year since 2008 -- onsite 4 times, offsite twice.

Where did you stay offsite? In offsite hotels? Or in timeshares, vacation homes, etc?


In 2008 we stayed in a hotel aprox 15 minutes from Disney
The other times that we were offsite we were in timeshares (family owned)


Where did you stay ONsite? Values? Mods? Deluxes?


Saratoga Springs and Coronado Springs


Obviously there are advantages to onsite for many people, but is onsite a deal-breaker?

Or could you be satisfied staying offsite for a fraction (maybe a tiny fraction) of the cost?


We love having the ability to have the cost of transportation to and from the airport as well as around property rolled in to the vacation cost.


Could you be satisfied staying offsite in a very nice timeshare that cost you only $2,000 total to buy and less than DVC in annual MFs?


I would have to look in to their cost a bit more as the MF for our families timeshare is over $500 as well


Could you be satisfied renting an offsite timeshare, getting a nice 2 BR reliably for less than $1,000 for an entire week -- with no initial outlay, and no ongoing financial obligation?


Yes, but then we are back to transportation issues


Remember that we are talking only about the lodging portion of your vacation cost anyway...and there are many, many options for lodging. DVC is only one option.
.
__________________

Disney 2013 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 9!!!! Can't wait




[/url]
krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Breyean
OKW - 1993 & VCG - 2011
 
Breyean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolyat View Post
Is the $65 the maximum amount that you can resell the timeshare for?
No, but he's using current resale pricing to try to estimate what you might expect if you had to sell in the near future.

You can ASK for anything if you have to list for sale with a broker, and if you look at listings for say, BLT, you'll see people asking in the mid $100s (like $150!) while some others are priced in the $90s. And BLT contracts are still passing ROFR in the high $90s.

Those higher listings are usually from sellers who are in the exact position Jim is outlining - they need to pay off a loan and are listing at a price that will not make them have to pay out of pocket if they sold at that price.

Please take Jim's comments about financing to heart - he really knows what he's talking about and is well respected here on the boards.

Some other posters post things w/o really having the knowledge base to offer an informed opinion yet they will still try to help.
__________________
-------
Brian
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolyat View Post
Is the $65 the maximum amount that you can resell the timeshare for?
No, no...just a guess. BWV resales are currently selling for a little more than than, I believe, but I'm just trying to give you a model to frame the discussion.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
No, no...just a guess. BWV resales are currently selling for a little more than than, I believe, but I'm just trying to give you a model to frame the discussion.
Thanks JimMIA, your financial model is very helpful.
__________________

Disney 2013 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 9!!!! Can't wait




[/url]
krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.