DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Help with our decision

We are a family of three DD10 from MI. In the past 5 years we've been to WDW 9 times (3 just last year). It's not uncommon for us to stay at Pop but we've also stayed at WL and SS and obviously prefer the deluxe over value. We have a Disney cruise booked over thanksgiving (approx $5000) which got us thinking we could just cancel the cruise and buy about 200 resale DVC points and get at least 2 WDW vacations a year instead of 1cruise and smaller WDW trip 6 months later with more options. We're not so concerned about initial cost but we don't want to make an unwise decision either. We'd like our home resort to be at WDW because that's where we'll go 9 out of 10 times so should we disregard HH and VB? We liked the cruise but we'd like just going to a WDW resort to relax sun-thurs just as much. I know you are all experts so if you could give me a little insight on if DVC sounds like a good investment for us. I know we wouldn't trade out for non DVC resorts and I know about the new rules as far as DCL and ABD. Just want some economical feedback. TIA disers!

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean ~ 2015 FANTASY Western Caribbean

disneydork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

I think you should go on the cruise . One cause they are so much fun . 2 it will give you more time to make sure DVC is right for you . To me it sounds like you can find value being you would rather be in a deluxe resort , DVC could help you flip those POP trips into a nice deluxe resort .

My suggestion is to get to know the inner workings of DVC before you decide if you want to buy . Find out about use year bank/borrowing home resorts .
I would definitely buy a WDW resort . You wont want to get stuck outside WDW .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydork3 View Post
We are a family of three DD10 from MI. In the past 5 years we've been to WDW 9 times (3 just last year). It's not uncommon for us to stay at Pop but we've also stayed at WL and SS and obviously prefer the deluxe over value. We have a Disney cruise booked over thanksgiving (approx $5000) which got us thinking we could just cancel the cruise and buy about 200 resale DVC points and get at least 2 WDW vacations a year instead of 1cruise and smaller WDW trip 6 months later with more options. We're not so concerned about initial cost but we don't want to make an unwise decision either. We'd like our home resort to be at WDW because that's where we'll go 9 out of 10 times so should we disregard HH and VB? We liked the cruise but we'd like just going to a WDW resort to relax sun-thurs just as much. I know you are all experts so if you could give me a little insight on if DVC sounds like a good investment for us. I know we wouldn't trade out for non DVC resorts and I know about the new rules as far as DCL and ABD. Just want some economical feedback. TIA disers!
I think you're on the right track. The one ting I would caution you about is if you start the process to buy DVC now, you likely won't find much availability at the DVC resorts until mid-to-late January. October through early January is the busiest time of year for DVC resorts and many are reporting limited or no availability during those months already. So if you're hoping to replace that Thanksgiving cruise with a DVC trip, you might be out of luck.

What I will suggest is to maybe plan a weekend trip to Disney to explore some of the DVC resorts so you could have a better idea of where you'd like your home resort to be.

And continue to read through threads here. Make sure you understand home resorts, banking/borrowing, canceling policies, UY and get to know the DVC schedule vs. the parks schedule (I'll give you a hint, the slow times in the parks aren't the slow times for DVC.). Feel free to ask lots of questions here, there are lots of people who have been through the process before. Good luck!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you seriously think you want to purchase DVC and don't mind missing a Thanksgiving vacation, I'd save those cruise bucks and put them towards a DVC purchase. Unless you really want to cruise.

We've done one cruise and one was enough for me. I'm just not gregarious enough to cruise, I guess. I much prefer sitting in my DVC villa at WDW watching a little TV, grabbing a bus over to the theme park for a few hours, eating at "home", etc.

And if you really want WDW, buy a resort at WDW that you wouldn't mind staying at if you couldn't get anything else at WDW at seven months out. If you purchase HHI or VB, you always have to wait until seven months out to book your stay.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

Go on the cruise! When r u going on ur cruise?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
From your signature, it looks like you've done the 2012 cruise so why not pop the 2013 cruise and keep the 2014. Buy into DVC with your 2013 funds which gives you the best of both - IMO. Just buy somewhere you wouldn't mind staying for a park vacation (because any place makes a nice non-park vacation). Personally, we not bus people so OKW, SSR, AKV (our home) aren't places I'd recommend. If you're going re-sale concentrate on the others in WDW with easy park access.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To me, whether to cruise or go to DVC resorts (WDW mostly), are separate decisions though I think I understand why you're combining the issues right now. First, whether to buy DVC or not. Given you have a track record of going enough to know what to expect, DVC likely does make sense for you. A studio at DVC will give you a semi deluxe experience compared to the value for a modestly higher cost but it will cost you more money long term than your past trips overall. It looks like you understand the program and changes and would use it in such a way to get a reasonable value and more importantly, not to overpay or lose value based on the unreasonable choices.

IMO, if you can pay cash for it, plan ahead at least 7 months and you're comfortable with your financial situation even if things happen (think lose a job the week after purchase), it sounds reasonable. I presume you're thinking of canceling the cruise to get the full amount together to pay cash. If the other parameters fit making buying a timeshare reasonable, then it may indeed be a responsible and reasonable option to skip a cruise and buy DVC points. However, and I don't want you to take this as negative but rather to get you or others who are reading to think, if you can't do both on cash, can you truly afford DVC? I guess what I'm saying is that if you simply chose to spend those dollars one place vs another, good for you but if that's the only way you could buy DVC, I'd have some concerns.

Then comes the issue of what resort and how many points. Given your trip history you could likely save up and pay for DVC pretty quickly either way if you made the effort. I applaud you because you'd looked at the info and come to the decisions that corporate would call "best practices".
Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

I would have not problem cancelling the cruise this year, but we've already bought airline tickets to MIA. It's over Thanksgiving on the re-imagined Magic. Trust me, it's not like we'll be miserable!! We loved our first cruise and wanted to cruise every year with a WDW trip 6 months later every year. The more I thought about it, buying into DVC sounded like a better deal since we'd get at least two WDW trips a year. We like both, but our heart is at WDW. Since we have to cruise this time, I think we'll try renting points to really get gain knowledge on the DVC process and if we want to make the investment. We don't want to make the best decision for our family. I love DISboards because everyone on here is so knowledgeable and friendly. Thank you to all who answered me!!

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean ~ 2015 FANTASY Western Caribbean

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would have not problem cancelling the cruise this year, but we've already bought airline tickets to MIA. It's over Thanksgiving on the re-imagined Magic. Trust me, it's not like we'll be miserable!! We loved our first cruise and wanted to cruise every year with a WDW trip 6 months later every year. The more I thought about it, buying into DVC sounded like a better deal since we'd get at least two WDW trips a year. We like both, but our heart is at WDW. Since we have to cruise this time, I think we'll try renting points to really get gain knowledge on the DVC process and if we want to make the investment. We don't want to make the best decision for our family. I love DISboards because everyone on here is so knowledgeable and friendly. Thank you to all who answered me!!
There are also other cruise lines that are just as good overall (personal opinions of course) and cheaper.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You have definitely come to the right place to learn about purchasing resale. Your idea is a good one. Too bad the airline tickets are getting in the way. I suppose you could still cancel the cruise and find someplace to stay in S. Flo. For the trip and still come out ahead financially.

I'm sure you have figured this out already, but $5000 is less than half of what you will need for a 200 point resale contract. We just bought a 100 pointer at $72/pt and the total cost was around $8400. That total includes current year MF's of $570, $440 closing costs, and $195 admin fee. Obviously, for a 200 point contract, the MF's would double, as would the total purchase price.

One advantage to buying a 200+ point contract is that they are easier to find and you can generally get a lower purchase price than on contracts of <100 points. Home resort choice will make a big difference in your initial price per point, as well. It will also make a big difference in how many points you need to take the length of trip you want. There is a huge point difference between a 5 night stay in a villa at OKW vs. BLT (or VGF!).

Good luck and keep asking great questions!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
To me, whether to cruise or go to DVC resorts (WDW mostly), are separate decisions though I think I understand why you're combining the issues right now. First, whether to buy DVC or not. Given you have a track record of going enough to know what to expect, DVC likely does make sense for you. A studio at DVC will give you a semi deluxe experience compared to the value for a modestly higher cost but it will cost you more money long term than your past trips overall. It looks like you understand the program and changes and would use it in such a way to get a reasonable value and more importantly, not to overpay or lose value based on the unreasonable choices.

IMO, if you can pay cash for it, plan ahead at least 7 months and you're comfortable with your financial situation even if things happen (think lose a job the week after purchase), it sounds reasonable. I presume you're thinking of canceling the cruise to get the full amount together to pay cash. If the other parameters fit making buying a timeshare reasonable, then it may indeed be a responsible and reasonable option to skip a cruise and buy DVC points. However, and I don't want you to take this as negative but rather to get you or others who are reading to think, if you can't do both on cash, can you truly afford DVC? I guess what I'm saying is that if you simply chose to spend those dollars one place vs another, good for you but if that's the only way you could buy DVC, I'd have some concerns.

Then comes the issue of what resort and how many points. Given your trip history you could likely save up and pay for DVC pretty quickly either way if you made the effort. I applaud you because you'd looked at the info and come to the decisions that corporate would call "best practices".

I agree that the cruise and DVC are separate. The thing I can't get over is sinking $5000 into the cruise and $15,000 for 200 DVC points that I can't use until next year. We always pay cash for our vacations and do have that money available. Your advice is definitely reasonable, no negativity taken from it at all. I just think it would be logical to skip the cruise and put it towards DVC. Luckily, we've never lived beyond our means, but there is something to be said about "throwing money out the window". I wouldn't want to cruise just to cruise while making a DVC investment.

We love WDW and can see ourselves going every year for several years. We're going to keep comparing numbers and keep looking for the best home resort. I really appreciate everyone's insight!!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post
You have definitely come to the right place to learn about purchasing resale. Your idea is a good one. Too bad the airline tickets are getting in the way. I suppose you could still cancel the cruise and find someplace to stay in S. Flo. For the trip and still come out ahead financially.

I'm sure you have figured this out already, but $5000 is less than half of what you will need for a 200 point resale contract. We just bought a 100 pointer at $72/pt and the total cost was around $8400. That total includes current year MF's of $570, $440 closing costs, and $195 admin fee. Obviously, for a 200 point contract, the MF's would double, as would the total purchase price.

One advantage to buying a 200+ point contract is that they are easier to find and you can generally get a lower purchase price than on contracts of <100 points. Home resort choice will make a big difference in your initial price per point, as well. It will also make a big difference in how many points you need to take the length of trip you want. There is a huge point difference between a 5 night stay in a villa at OKW vs. BLT (or VGF!).

Good luck and keep asking great questions!
Very true. We're planning on about $15,000 or so for the initial buy in. We loved SS and aren't too picky as long as we're in WDW. Of course, we'd like to try all of the resorts, but won't be tied down to a certain one if points became an issue. Now, putting the cruise aside, I'm going to run some numbers again. Changing the flights is another option, but from what I understand, points aren't even available this November.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree that the cruise and DVC are separate. The thing I can't get over is sinking $5000 into the cruise and $15,000 for 200 DVC points that I can't use until next year. We always pay cash for our vacations and do have that money available. Your advice is definitely reasonable, no negativity taken from it at all. I just think it would be logical to skip the cruise and put it towards DVC. Luckily, we've never lived beyond our means, but there is something to be said about "throwing money out the window". I wouldn't want to cruise just to cruise while making a DVC investment.

We love WDW and can see ourselves going every year for several years. We're going to keep comparing numbers and keep looking for the best home resort. I really appreciate everyone's insight!!
Sounds reasonable and responsible, let us know how it works out.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Very true. We're planning on about $15,000 or so for the initial buy in. We loved SS and aren't too picky as long as we're in WDW. Of course, we'd like to try all of the resorts, but won't be tied down to a certain one if points became an issue. Now, putting the cruise aside, I'm going to run some numbers again. Changing the flights is another option, but from what I understand, points aren't even available this November.
It could be very difficult to book anything for your Thanksgiving trip this late.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditioneverestgrl View Post
go on the cruise! When r u going on ur cruise?
nov 24-29th

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: