DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
Woody and Buzz
Earning My Ears

If I buy direct I can use points at any of the Disney resorts or hotels. But if I buy a resale for the GC, I can only stay at Disney's resorts.

So my question is what happens if I buy points for the GC but can't get the dates I want? I know that I will have to change my dates but with buying direct I could stay at Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. So would the money I save with resale do me any good (I know money saved is great) or would it be good to buy direct and have the other hotels in my back pocket?

I also think it would be easier if I lived in Florida and go to WDW more times than DL because I could have a choice of 8 different resorts than having 1 resort in DL. I am just trying to weight my options with direct or resale. For every point for direct, I can come up with a point for resale mainly saving money.
Woody and Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

You will financially come out ahead by renting your vgc points, and booking dlh or paradise pier on cash, whether you get the points direct or resale. In other words the value of the points will pay you more in rental than the cash cost of booking the regular hotel room.

So speaking economically, resale is the obvious choice. Even if you were to buy direct, renting your points and paying cash for the standard hotel room would be the correct choice.

This is something a DVC salesperson is never going to tell you. And why it was a huge favor to resale DVC members when Disney limited the resale point use parameters. They took away most of the uneconomic options. Make sure you understand this fully before you decide which way to buy your membership points.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #18
DaveInCali
Calling Aulani, Saratoga Springs and The Villas at Grand Floridian Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody and Buzz View Post
If I buy direct I can use points at any of the Disney resorts or hotels. But if I buy a resale for the GC, I can only stay at Disney's resorts.

So my question is what happens if I buy points for the GC but can't get the dates I want? I know that I will have to change my dates but with buying direct I could stay at Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. So would the money I save with resale do me any good (I know money saved is great) or would it be good to buy direct and have the other hotels in my back pocket?

I also think it would be easier if I lived in Florida and go to WDW more times than DL because I could have a choice of 8 different resorts than having 1 resort in DL. I am just trying to weight my options with direct or resale. For every point for direct, I can come up with a point for resale mainly saving money.
I don't own at VGC but I know that it is VERY difficult to get in at the 7 month window. I can tell you that by owning at VGC, as many have said, you will be able to book at 11 months out. So if your family traditionally travels at certain times of the year, this 11 month window will work to your advantage and you should be able to get what you are looking for. You can always cancel the reservation 30 days before your reservation and get all your points back (there's an exception to this.... If your reservation falls in the last four months of your use year) so reserve as far out as you can to make sure you get what you want and change your mind later.

You are right... If you bought direct, you could reserve at Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier or Grand Californian (aka Disney Collection Hotels). However, there's a few things to consider...

1) points to stay through the Disney Collection hotels are traditionally higher, sometimes double than if you went through the DVC side of a property. .
2) there's a $95 reservation cost to book through the collection and cancellations work differently.
3) doesn't matter where your home resort is and you could us Saratoga points for example to cover a Collection reservation.

I've been reading your posts and as you continue to add on, I'd consider buying points at resorts with cheaper annual dues per point. Stay away from Vero Beach and Aulani as their dues are pretty high. I've only bought direct but am looking to offload a contract I got so I can purchase an add on for a property I want to get priority reservations at. I'll be on the sellers end of your equation soon do I'd be interested to hear how your experience goes.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #19
nyck
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInCali View Post

I don't own at VGC but I know that it is VERY difficult to get in at the 7 month window. I can tell you that by owning at VGC, as many have said, you will be able to book at 11 months out. So if your family traditionally travels at certain times of the year, this 11 month window will work to your advantage and you should be able to get what you are looking for. You can always cancel the reservation 30 days before your reservation and get all your points back (there's an exception to this.... If your reservation falls in the last four months of your use year) so reserve as far out as you can to make sure you get what you want and change your mind later.

You are right... If you bought direct, you could reserve at Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier or Grand Californian (aka Disney Collection Hotels). However, there's a few things to consider...

1) points to stay through the Disney Collection hotels are traditionally higher, sometimes double than if you went through the DVC side of a property. .
2) there's a $95 reservation cost to book through the collection and cancellations work differently.
3) doesn't matter where your home resort is and you could us Saratoga points for example to cover a Collection reservation.

I've been reading your posts and as you continue to add on, I'd consider buying points at resorts with cheaper annual dues per point. Stay away from Vero Beach and Aulani as their dues are pretty high. I've only bought direct but am looking to offload a contract I got so I can purchase an add on for a property I want to get priority reservations at. I'll be on the sellers end of your equation soon do I'd be interested to hear how your experience goes.

Good luck.
There is no $95 fee for using your points at the Disneyland hotels. The starting waiving that fee years ago.

nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #20
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:

Here is how I would look at it . This is especially true for people that want VGC
cause one its hard to get into two people that buy there tend to want to be there more then WDW . But IMO the point price direct over resale with VGC is not enough difference to not buy direct .

What happens when down the road disney decides to restrict resale buyer again . Things I think could happen , maybe they will lower the 11/7 book window for resales , maybe they will only allow you to to stay at your home resort .

Being in cali and not really near WDW buying GCF makes sense. It also makes sense that if in a jam you could use those points to stay in DL . Instead of being forced to rent or plan a much bigger trip to WDW . Plus buying direct you may get some sort of incentive . And you will be able to use the direct points on DCL if you wish too another option leaving from cali .

IDK that just my opinion . If you only planned on WDW resorts you could save a lot more with resale with the WDW resorts , that would make it worthwhile to take the risk . But thats not for me .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
But IMO the point price direct over resale with VGC is not enough difference to not buy direct. Being in cali and not really near WDW buying GCF makes sense. It also makes sense that if in a jam you could use those points to stay in DL.
i'd partly agree.

if you are determined to buy into DVC, buying VGC direct and booking at 11 months out is the best option...with a direct purchase giving you more options in CA if needed on short notice.

but frankly, i'd also stop to think about whether a timeshare is a good option at all in your situation.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
Woody and Buzz
Earning My Ears

I would like to buy 200 points either used or direct. I am looking to go to DL every other year. Also when we want to go to WDW I could bank points and barrow points. For that trip I would plan on 600 points for the trip.

So buying direct would give me the option in using all other Disney resorts and hotels. Has anyone used there points to go to other hotels in other places? I don't know if buying direct and using points that is a good way too.

If I buy used for the GC that would limit me too just the 11 resorts. I would save around $4000-$6000 dollars but I would put myself in a corner.

In the end ultimately want to buy a DVC because I think I pay the same amount of $$ every trip to DL. I would like to save $15-20,000 to put down for a DVC. Also I could give the DVC to my 2 kids down the road.
Woody and Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

I don't think the ability to use points for other Disney hotels at DL is worth enough to make buying direct worth it. The whole point of DVC is to save money on accommodations, and every time you use your points for an exchange to a non-DVC hotel, Disney cruise, or Adventures by Disney trip, you're no longer saving much, if any, money. You might be losing money, depending on the specific situation.

If you compare the points value of DL rooms at any of the three hotels, they're essentially valuing the rooms at $9-10 a point, if you compare to rack rate. If you can get any discount at all, even AAA at 10%, it's now more like $8-9$ a point. If you can get a 20-30% discount, which is available during quite a good chunk of the year, you're now looking at $6-7 per point. That's lower than your dues plus your amortized buy-in. In other words, you're losing money using DVC for that room.

If you plan to use the DVC points for DVC rooms, and just want the option to use the points directly just in case, you're basically saying that the option to book a DL hotel room is insurance in case your regular (DVC) plans fall through. That's expensive insurance.

Given that the waiting list for VGC points is reportedly very long, I think resale is your best bet right now, assuming DVC is right for you at all. Moreover, if you're not sure if DVC is going to be right, if you buy resale you will lose a lot less money if you have to turn around and sell it because it wasn't working for you, since your sale price will be similar to your purchase price and you'll mostly be losing the selling costs (broker commission and fees).

Last edited by dmunsil; 06-17-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fix brain hiccup
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We own at both AKV and VGC. The reason for this is we fly from the UK and we want to fly out to the East coast and home from the West coast. This somehow makes the flights cheaper and also gives us two holidays in one. We only travel once every three years and do 1 long holiday rather than lots of short.

To me the point,I'd owning at VGC is only the 11 month advantage. If I couldn't have booked at 11 months I would have bought cheaper AKV points and taken my chances at 7 months. If you don't use your home resort advantage thnk carefully about why you are buying there and if you do use it you shouldn't need to worry about using the Disney collection.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
I would like to buy 200 points either used or direct. I am looking to go to DL every other year. Also when we want to go to WDW I could bank points and barrow points. For that trip I would plan on 600 points for the trip.

So buying direct would give me the option in using all other Disney resorts and hotels. Has anyone used there points to go to other hotels in other places? I don't know if buying direct and using points that is a good way too.

If I buy used for the GC that would limit me too just the 11 resorts. I would save around $4000-$6000 dollars but I would put myself in a corner.

In the end ultimately want to buy a DVC because I think I pay the same amount of $$ every trip to DL. I would like to save $15-20,000 to put down for a DVC. Also I could give the DVC to my 2 kids down the road.

I guess the question is , is that a lot of money to you .

To me $4-6k in comparison to the purchase price is not enough to take the risk on what restrictions may or may not take place down the road to resale buyers . If your were looking at others resorts the numbers saved would be much higher and IMO worth the risk if you find no value in the options you won't have .

I jus gloom at it this way if Disney decides to restrict anyone's perks ect . It will most likely be resale buyers . At least till they stop selling new resorts . I doubt they can demand such high prices for new resorts without having separate extra perks that make it worthwhile .

Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
To me $4-6k in comparison to the purchase price is not enough to take the risk on what restrictions may or may not take place down the road to resale buyers .
Two things:

- It's not 4-6K. It's 10-12K for 200 points. A high price for VGC right now is $115, which is $50 off direct price, which is $10,000 off a 200-point block. At $105, which is still higher than any contract that we know has been taken in ROFR, that's $60 off, or $12,000. You can buy a lot of nights at the Disneyland Hotel with $10-12K.

- In the past, when Disney added restrictions to resale buyers, they grandfathered everyone in who had already bought resale. There's no guarantee that this would happen again, but I don't see why anyone would think they wouldn't do so.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
Two things:

- It's not 4-6K. It's 10-12K for 200 points. A high price for VGC right now is $115, which is $50 off direct price, which is $10,000 off a 200-point block. At $105, which is still higher than any contract that we know has been taken in ROFR, that's $60 off, or $12,000. You can buy a lot of nights at the Disneyland Hotel with $10-12K.

- In the past, when Disney added restrictions to resale buyers, they grandfathered everyone in who had already bought resale. There's no guarantee that this would happen again, but I don't see why anyone would think they wouldn't do so.

This is what I was referring to . They were his numbers I didn't calculate them . I have no interest in calculating his numbers but he said this would be the difference in price due to his calculations . That's what I responded to and my numbers were correct for the situation. So thanks for correcting me with wrong information . Dmunsil you have been a member for 5 days .

Last edited by BestDadEver; 06-17-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
They were his numbers I didn't calculate them .
I realized that. Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that they were your numbers, it was just a convenient quote that talked about the difference in price. And it's you I'm disagreeing with on the larger question of the value of avoiding the supposed restrictions that might come up.

Frankly even if it was "only" $4-6K, that's a lot of money to pay for potential restrictions that might or might not happen down the road.

I think when you're talking about buying into resorts that are not sold out, there's a huge win buying direct, which is that you get your points now. The waiting for the right contract, waiting for ROFR, closing, etc. is a major pain. I don't know if it's thousands of dollars of pain, but it's really annoying.

But for sold out resorts, especially ones with a huge waiting list like VGC, there's essentially no value in buying direct. The ancillary "benefits" are financially worthless; they're a convenience that you're paying significant sums of money for, both up front and every time you use them.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
I realized that. Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that they were your numbers, it was just a convenient quote that talked about the difference in price. And it's you I'm disagreeing with on the larger question of the value of avoiding the supposed restrictions that might come up.

Frankly even if it was "only" $4-6K, that's a lot of money to pay for potential restrictions that might or might not happen down the road.

I think when you're talking about buying into resorts that are not sold out, there's a huge win buying direct, which is that you get your points now. The waiting for the right contract, waiting for ROFR, closing, etc. is a major pain. I don't know if it's thousands of dollars of pain, but it's really annoying.

But for sold out resorts, especially ones with a huge waiting list like VGC, there's essentially no value in buying direct. The ancillary "benefits" are financially worthless; they're a convenience that you're paying significant sums of money for, both up front and every time you use them.
If they do restrict resale down the line I'd be kicking myself for not bucking up the IMO few extra bucks to have full benefits . What if they decide to make it that you can only stay at your home resort if you bought resale .

I understand its a lot of money but not when your spending $20k

Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
What if they decide to make it that you can only stay at your home resort if you bought resale .
They can't do that. It's in the declaration of condominium for all the resorts that every member participates in the DVC system, and every owner of a portion of the condominium is a member of the DVC system. Moreover if they did do that, it would just make life worse for the other DVC members who bought direct, because they'd have a harder time staying in other resorts.

The things they can remove, either for everyone or just some people, include:

- Shopping & dining discounts.
- Annual pass discounts.
- Tables in Wonderland discount.
- RCI exchanges

And I'm not actually sure they'd want to restrict RCI exchanges; I think they make money on them.

Basically they can't take away your ability to book DVC resorts. That's what you're paying for, that's where the value is. The other stuff is miscellaneous conveniences and minor discounts. The exchanges for cruises and so forth are actually financially a loss over just paying cash.

Also, keep in mind that any time DVC reduces the benefits for resale customers, they reduce the resale value of everyone's memberships. If you ever think you might want to sell your membership, you should be upset that Disney has this two-tier thing going on. It could cost you money down the road. If they add more restrictions, that's dollars Disney is taking out of your pocket if you ever need or want to sell.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: