DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

non-brokers resales listings?

Looking to buy resale, have looked at the big DVC brokers, but tried searching for and could not find out if there was a craigslist type listing website for DVC resales by owner type of deal.

Does such a thing exist?

Last edited by iluvthsgam; 06-05-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: edit title to be clearer
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

and see example of something actually on craigslist:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/3763542587.html

Last edited by iluvthsgam; 06-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 660

I am guessing it cause there are some complicated paperwork that needs to be handled . It would be hard for 2 parties to just make an exchange .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I am guessing it cause there are some complicated paperwork that needs to be handled . It would be hard for 2 parties to just make an exchange .
(emphasis above mine) I have not purchased resale before. Can anyone chime in? Is a lawyer used normally? Or is everything done between the broker and title company?
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd
 
dmunsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA, former home of Costco!
Posts: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
(emphasis above mine) I have not purchased resale before. Can anyone chime in? Is a lawyer used normally? Or is everything done between the broker and title company?
Everything is done by the broker and title company. If you were to make a private sale with no broker, I suspect you could just contact the title company directly and ask them to handle the transaction. They could tell you which parts of the transaction they don't handle. I get the impression that the broker handles getting signatures on the sales agreement and sending out for the ROFR waiver, and then the title company handles escrow, filing the deed and waiver, and notifying Disney of the transfer of ownership.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
Everything is done by the broker and title company. If you were to make a private sale with no broker, I suspect you could just contact the title company directly and ask them to handle the transaction. They could tell you which parts of the transaction they don't handle. I get the impression that the broker handles getting signatures on the sales agreement and sending out for the ROFR waiver, and then the title company handles escrow, filing the deed and waiver, and notifying Disney of the transfer of ownership.
So, in other words, the "complicated paperwork" is handled by the title company and the broker is just a listing agent/middle man/passing paperwork back and forth. Which is fine, but that can easily be done by two private sellers.

Especially if there are no lawyers involved, it shouldn't be too hard for two private sellers to agree on a sale and contact the title company to complete the sale.

Is it common for resales to not have a lawyer review contract, closing docs, etc? And people just go with whatever paperwork the brokers provide?
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,824

Would Disney do estopples for regular people and not brokers?
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Would Disney do estopples for regular people and not brokers?
I'm not sure what that is, are you talking about the ROFR waiver?

Edit: Nevermind, I get it. It is what is sent to the closing company after the ROFR, so if you are using a closing company, I don't see why Disney wouldn't, but I don't know, as I have not purchased resale.

Last edited by iluvthsgam; 06-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,354

I don't think the Craigslist ad is any different from a listing on a broker's website, and you definitely don't need a broker for a sale/purchase. The broker's job is to bring sellers and purchasers together.

If you are seriously interested in buying that particular contract, I'm sure DVC Member Administration could advise the owner/seller how to proceed.

If you used one of the title/closing companies used by the better major brokers, I'm sure they would be able to answer any questions and guide you through the process.

I would not waste their time if you are just curious, but if you are serious, a call to a closing company would probably yield better results than posting here on the DIS.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
I don't think the Craigslist ad is any different from a listing on a broker's website, and you definitely don't need a broker for a sale/purchase. The broker's job is to bring sellers and purchasers together.

If you are seriously interested in buying that particular contract, I'm sure DVC Member Administration could advise the owner/seller how to proceed.

If you used one of the title/closing companies used by the better major brokers, I'm sure they would be able to answer any questions and guide you through the process.

I would not waste their time if you are just curious, but if you are serious, a call to a closing company would probably yield better results than posting here on the DIS.
Thanks Jim. I was not interested in that contract specifically. That is just one listing I found on Craigslist. I was more interested to see if there was some other place to go and look for listings by owner - without going through the brokers.

Last edited by iluvthsgam; 06-05-2013 at 07:07 PM.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
Thanks Jim. I was not interested in that contract specifically. That is just one listing I found on Craigslist. I was more interested to see if there was some other place to go and look for listings by owner - without going through the brokers.
Timeshare contracts are routinely sold through all sorts of non-broker channels. EBay listings are common, though not as common for DVC as for other timeshares. EBay is actually quite a good place to buy many timeshares. Other places are TUG, Redweek, and other timeshare-specific websites.

I would think Craigslist would be a longshot, just because of the way they localize ads -- but I've seen other timeshares offered there.

As a buyer, though, purchasing without a broker offers little to you. It may save the seller 10% commission, but you're still going to have to pay enough to clear ROFR, so there is really no benefit to you.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Timeshare contracts are routinely sold through all sorts of non-broker channels. EBay listings are common, though not as common for DVC as for other timeshares. EBay is actually quite a good place to buy many timeshares. Other places are TUG, Redweek, and other timeshare-specific websites.

I would think Craigslist would be a longshot, just because of the way they localize ads -- but I've seen other timeshares offered there.

As a buyer, though, purchasing without a broker offers little to you. It may save the seller 10% commission, but you're still going to have to pay enough to clear ROFR, so there is really no benefit to you.
That is a good point, it saves the seller money, not the buyer. But don't you think that more sellers would be incentivized to accept a lower price per point if they knew they didn't have to pay a 10% commission? Yes, you have to consider the ROFR aspects, but surely there could be a balance found where both buyers and sellers save money by not having to go through a broker, no?
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
That is a good point, it saves the seller money, not the buyer. But don't you think that more sellers would be incentivized to accept a lower price per point if they knew they didn't have to pay a 10% commission? Yes, you have to consider the ROFR aspects, but surely there could be a balance found where both buyers and sellers save money by not having to go through a broker, no?
Yes, I do think a seller would take a bit less because they are saving the 10%. But that discount makes it more likely that your contract will not pass ROFR based on what we have seen recently.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.