DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Is it just me or has the resale market been hot?

Taking a look at the current resale websites there sure a lot of contracts that have sale pending on them and there really isn't a lot of contracts for sale on those sights.

And it appears the resale market for SSR has stabilized or even improved as I see lots of listing in the upper $60's p/p and lower 70's for prices. I remember when it was low 60's and upper 50's. Matter of fact, I remember somebody on these boards picking up some SSR for in the 40's.

Any ways, those are just my general observations, am I wrong?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
lorie13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Taking a look at the current resale websites there sure a lot of contracts that have sale pending on them and there really isn't a lot of contracts for sale on those sights.

And it appears the resale market for SSR has stabilized or even improved as I see lots of listing in the upper $60's p/p and lower 70's for prices. I remember when it was low 60's and upper 50's. Matter of fact, I remember somebody on these boards picking up some SSR for in the 40's.

Any ways, those are just my general observations, am I wrong?
Yes it is hot and resale prices are on the rise. Loaded contracts seem to go pending in hours of being posted. Fair amount of ROFR taking place too, especially for BWV and BCV.
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

You're not wrong, it's a sellers market right now. Lots of listing now are for stripped contracts which I take to mean that sellers are looking to maximize the value of their contract. I expect that this will current trend will continue until we have another recession or slow down in the economy.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
You're not wrong, it's a sellers market right now. Lots of listing now are for stripped contracts which I take to mean that sellers are looking to maximize the value of their contract. I expect that this will current trend will continue until we have another recession or slow down in the economy.
I think the same thing.

In general, it seems to me DVC is running the same course as "regular" real estate. Prices bottomed out in 2011, early 2012, and now are making a comeback.

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues in the fall and winter, when the "regular" real estate market normally cools off. What do you think? Will DVC do the same?

Note that I'm not suggesting prices will come way back down again, only that resales should be a little easier to come by.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

there was recently a long thread on this. definitely hot at the moment. i will be very surprised if it stays like this...

Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
JWG
DIS Veteran

This has to cap soon (I think). Just got word from a broker that 3 separte 25 pt. BLT contracts went for their asking prices of between $110-$115. Now, I get those are nice small contracts. But still, $110+ is high, especially considering closing costs on each of those.

If you're a DISer selling those congrats . BUT, at the same time, boo for not accepting our offers .

I can't believe that's sustainable. One of the 3 was sold within the hour, the other 2 in less than 24 hours.

Crazy.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
PaxsMom
Mouseketeer

Figures it is "hot" when I go to make an offer..
Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
This has to cap soon (I think). Just got word from a broker that 3 separte 25 pt. BLT contracts went for their asking prices of between $110-$115.
I was wondering how much those sold for. It seems like the prices have been going up on new listings. With closing costs and fees, there's not much savings buying resale.

At some point BLT direct prices have to go down (which should drive the resale prices down), or VGF prices have to go way high (which would drive resale even higher ).
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalajms View Post
I was wondering how much those sold for. It seems like the prices have been going up on new listings. With closing costs and fees, there's not much savings buying resale.

At some point BLT direct prices have to go down (which should drive the resale prices down), or VGF prices have to go way high (which would drive resale even higher ).
I agree that gap between resale & direct is getting smaller on some contracts especially small contract at the more popular resorts. It seemed like when the pricing of old resorts initially went up in Mid March to $130/pp, we saw a bigger gap in direct vs. resale pricing?? Now, it seems like the continued increased cost of resale contracts for some of the more popular resorts is shrinking the gap between resale vs. direct.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
agie65
New Disney Fan

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
This has to cap soon (I think). Just got word from a broker that 3 separte 25 pt. BLT contracts went for their asking prices of between $110-$115. Now, I get those are nice small contracts. But still, $110+ is high, especially considering closing costs on each of those.

If you're a DISer selling those congrats . BUT, at the same time, boo for not accepting our offers .

I can't believe that's sustainable. One of the 3 was sold within the hour, the other 2 in less than 24 hours.

Crazy.
And OKW 25 pts several was listed for $90/pp, most of em sold don't know at what price, even if it cost $300 to close it will be whopping $102/pp.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer

Looking at the historical pricing of buying direct and you see a consistent increase now up to $150 per point.

The question is going to be, will resale prices be pulled up with it and buyers will be okay because it will still be a "good deal" compared to direct or will resale prices stay level or down for the next 5-10 years?

At some point resale will go down as expiration approaches. But until then I am curious to see how the price action plays out.

The other thing is that Disney, if it wanted to, could effectively set a floor price by using ROFR process to grab any contracts below a certain price, this raising offers higher so they don't get nabbed by Disney. There is quite a lot going on to alter the price.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
Looking at the historical pricing of buying direct and you see a consistent increase now up to $150 per point.

The question is going to be, will resale prices be pulled up with it and buyers will be okay because it will still be a "good deal" compared to direct or will resale prices stay level or down for the next 5-10 years?

At some point resale will go down as expiration approaches. But until then I am curious to see how the price action plays out.

The other thing is that Disney, if it wanted to, could effectively set a floor price by using ROFR process to grab any contracts below a certain price, this raising offers higher so they don't get nabbed by Disney. There is quite a lot going on to alter the price.
Disney doesn't have the cash to create a true floor, that would take ROFRing a lot of contracts.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Disney doesn't have the cash to create a true floor, that would take ROFRing a lot of contracts.
I agree with you for a true floor. But they don't need to ROFR every contract to create the appearance of a floor. As long as they ROFR enough contracts at a certain price point, the brokers will start telling people "if it is too low Disney will ROFR it, so bid higher!" Then you see posts on here of lower contracts that got ROFR'd by Disney as well. They can't get everyone, but people will see that and not want to take the risk and bump the offer price up.

Just look what has happened in the last 3-5 months with the ROFR activity and price increases. Not saying that is the sole reason, but I think there is an appearance that right now, a low contract would be ROFR'd by Disney.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

I "bought into" DVC when they launched BLT so I have no idea what happened then. I'm curious if Disney ROFR'd more contract just prior to and during a new launch. Not the GF is selling are they trying to bring resale values up to help prospective buyers justify the purchase? I mean, if I were a DVC salesperson I would likely say something like, "Disney buys many contract to keep the resale price rising too. The gap is so close between the two, so is it really worth it to give up perks to save a few hundred dollars?"

Again, I'm not saying they are doing this, just wondering if this happened prior to AKL or BLT.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
kedkin
Earning My Ears

I thought that with the selling of VGF might drop the prices in resale thinking that more people might buy direct for VGF leaving a lot of resale contracts on the market and even people dumping contracts to buy VGF, but clearly that isn't the case.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: