DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
kristytru
A dream is a wish your heart makes...
 
kristytru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 467

buying small contract as a gift

We are CONSIDERING buying a small contract for my son for his graduation. His goal is to work for Disney and will be applying for the college program next semester. Our plan is to pay the dues for a set amount of time. We would put both my son's and my husband's name on the contract, so if at any point he does not wish to take over the dues payments, it would be ours. Looking for any advice or warnings on this idea as well as the best place to get a small contract since they seem to be "snatched up" so quickly.
__________________
kristytru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 21,528

A couple downsides to this plan:
  • If his name is on the deed then he is responsible for ongoing Member Fees
  • If his name is on the deed then it is his asset for college tuition assistance purposes
__________________
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
A couple downsides to this plan:
  • If his name is on the deed then he is responsible for ongoing Member Fees
  • If his name is on the deed then it is his asset for college tuition assistance purposes
also, he could probably swing a cheaper upfront price for the contract if you waited till he was a disney employee.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristytru View Post
We are CONSIDERING buying a small contract for my son for his graduation. His goal is to work for Disney and will be applying for the college program next semester. Our plan is to pay the dues for a set amount of time. We would put both my son's and my husband's name on the contract, so if at any point he does not wish to take over the dues payments, it would be ours. Looking for any advice or warnings on this idea as well as the best place to get a small contract since they seem to be "snatched up" so quickly.
People who work for Disney see and live behind the curtain. For many, the last thing that they want to do is to stay there on vacation.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
JWG
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
also, he could probably swing a cheaper upfront price for the contract if you waited till he was a disney employee.
Direct purchase yes. Compared to resale not so sure. Employee purhcases also carry different and more strict rules of use/sale.

If I were doing, I'd by resale and let them decide if they like it enough to want to cruise and such. If so, they can add-on on their own.

Nice of you! Wish my parents had done this for my college graduation. We took the tour my Junior year and they bought in my Senior year. Would have been a nice surprise. No real complaint, they let us use their points, and still do, even after we've purchased our own.
__________________

JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
Direct purchase yes. Compared to resale not so sure. Employee purhcases also carry different and more strict rules of use/sale.
My wife was a CP from 2005-2009. Her parents owed at VB before that, but sold VB and bought SSR direct while she was working there with her cast discount. There are no restrictions on the deed, it is no different than any other purchase and my wife didn't even have to be on the deed. Now, don't know if anything has changed since that time frame, but at that time there were no restrictions.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
collections
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central CT
Posts: 70

When is he graduating from college?
collections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

It's a very nice sentiment, and I know you said that you would pay for the maintenance fees for awhile. But I'm wondering if it's the best idea to start him off with a gift that comes with an annual payment of maintenance fees every year for the next 30+ years. I would think that if he were just starting off he would want something that produces income, not takes it away.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
My wife was a CP from 2005-2009. Her parents owed at VB before that, but sold VB and bought SSR direct while she was working there with her cast discount. There are no restrictions on the deed, it is no different than any other purchase and my wife didn't even have to be on the deed. Now, don't know if anything has changed since that time frame, but at that time there were no restrictions.
There are restrictions on usage and sales for CM currently, I'm not sure how this applies to former CM though.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran
 
Kidanifan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,706

Sounds to me that YOU want a small contact! You could always buy something for yourself and make your son an associate. Then you could set up a system that the user of the points covers the maintenance. Then, a gratuitous transfer when he is ready is not very hard to do.
__________________
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
lodge
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 841

Go for it.... very generous gift!
__________________
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
There are restrictions on usage and sales for CM currently, I'm not sure how this applies to former CM though.
Restrictions on usage? I could understand trying to turn around and sell for a profit, but what are they doing to restrict usage? My in-laws never had a problem or were never told there were usage restrictions.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
Restrictions on usage? I could understand trying to turn around and sell for a profit, but what are they doing to restrict usage? My in-laws never had a problem or were never told there were usage restrictions.
I'm not the expert on this subject, I'm just aware that DVD some years ago instituted restrictions and that the CM had to sign off on them to get the discount. Basically no renting and must resell to DVD directly IIRC, maybe recent or current CM can be more specific and more accurate. I'm not sure how these apply to contracts bought before the restrictions were in place but I'd bet that renting from those contracts while a CM would be prohibited by the code of conduct if the CM name were still on the contract.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'm not the expert on this subject, I'm just aware that DVD some years ago instituted restrictions and that the CM had to sign off on them to get the discount. Basically no renting and must resell to DVD directly IIRC, maybe recent or current CM can be more specific and more accurate. I'm not sure how these apply to contracts bought before the restrictions were in place but I'd bet that renting from those contracts while a CM would be prohibited by the code of conduct if the CM name were still on the contract.
hmmm interesting. thanks. they bought over 7 years ago so I don't know if this applies to them, but I don't think so. I doubt my wife would even remember if she signed anything like that and I looked again at the deed and there is nothing on the deed.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 7,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
It's a very nice sentiment, and I know you said that you would pay for the maintenance fees for awhile. But I'm wondering if it's the best idea to start him off with a gift that comes with an annual payment of maintenance fees every year for the next 30+ years. I would think that if he were just starting off he would want something that produces income, not takes it away.
I'm with ELMC on this one. If he's just starting out in the world, it might be a good while until he A) has enough vacation time to make good use of a DVC contract and B) Enough cash for the MFs and travel costs.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.