DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
Well, I guess my advice would be twofold. First, don't let emotions take over because that's what they count on. The DVC pitch is very well-designed and low-pressure, but that alone will make you intrigued. Be each other's designated driver, so to speak. Go in with a rational plan and agree that you won't be swayed!
This is very good advice.

Quote:
Second, don't dismiss Aulani so quickly. I see that you've never been there. It's AMAZING. And even if you don't stay there every year or two, your points will still be good anywhere else in the system. Some will advise resale as a way to save money; these are likely the same people who would tell you never to buy a new car because the initial depreciation is a killer. I bought direct myself and would only do it that way in the future. It's probably no surprise that the one time I bought a used car it was a lemon and caused all kinds of headaches! So when they pitch DVC, and Aulani in particular, keep an open mind.
This is awful advice. With all due respect, suggesting that they consider buying at Aulani having never been there before when their main desire is to visit the parks is terrible advice. Even if it is absolutely beautiful, owning at Aulani gives them NO 11 month booking advantage at either DL or WDW.

With regards to your obvious resale prejudice, I think making the comparison between resale points and a used car is ridiculous. With a used car you are getting something that has been used and possibly mistreated or damaged. I can assure you that my resale points book me a stay just as easily as your direct points, and for half the price. They are nothing like a used car. In case you were wondering, my last three cars were all purchased new, so I don't mind the depreciation. I can respect the fact that you prefer to buy direct, but to malign resales with insults and faulty comparisons helps nobody.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Now that the urgency is over, you can take your time and read through many of the threads here in the DVC section of the DIS. The most common questions come up several times per week so you won't have to search back very far.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
Ultimately if you want to use DVC to stay at DLR, it makes very little sense to buy anything but VGC...
True.

It's the reverse of us...the Grand is my *least* favorite hotel at Disneyland, so buying there made absolutely no sense to us. Buy where you want to stay, and do NOT buy where you do not want to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
Thanks for that piece of helpful information as we are fans of BCV and VWL (go figure, we love the woodsy, lodgy atmosphere! ) And DH is one of those people with a weird love for OKW.

... And when I look at what we paid for 3 nights, I can't help but think we are making a mistake if we don't consider the option of buying...
Hey, nothing wrong with OKW! And VWL is our new fave.

Seeing what we were already spending, and knowing what we would be spending, is what made us think "hmm".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I can assure you that my resale points book me a stay just as easily as your direct points, and for half the price.
But resale points won't get them into PPH or DLH, should they ever have a more last-minute trip planned and the Grand is booked. If that's important to them, then it's worth thinking about. You can't say resale points are the exact same anymore, because they aren't. And each one of us has to decide if the restrictions are worth it for our own likes, dislikes, and plans.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

But resale points won't get them into PPH or DLH, should they ever have a more last-minute trip planned and the Grand is booked. If that's important to them, then it's worth thinking about. You can't say resale points are the exact same anymore, because they aren't. And each one of us has to decide if the restrictions are worth it for our own likes, dislikes, and plans.
When it comes to booking at DVC resorts, resale points are exactly the same, and I believe I stated that clearly in my previous post. With regards to using points for last minute stays at PPH or DLH, there is another option for that...paying cash. If you run the numbers they are very similar in cost, given the high point requirements of those hotels. Seeing as how the OP was looking at this as a potential cost savings measure, using direct points to stay at Disneyland hotels does not qualify as a viable option.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Seeing as how the OP was looking at this as a potential cost savings measure, using direct points to stay at Disneyland hotels does not qualify as a viable option.
But it does! If you look at their DVC purchase, dues, and MF as sunk costs that they've already invested in order to save money overall on Disney vacations, then using those points to stay onsite at DLH or PPH is absolutely a cost-saving measure--they'll be staying for free! If they did that with all of their points, every year, I agree that it would not necessarily be the best way to find bargain accommodations at DLR. But to do it once, if they couldn't get into VGC, is perfectly viable and indeed a potentially strong argument for buying direct.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
But it does! If you look at their DVC purchase, dues, and MF as sunk costs that they've already invested in order to save money overall on Disney vacations, then using those points to stay onsite at DLH or PPH is absolutely a cost-saving measure--they'll be staying for free!
If they rented their points via David's, they'd make more money than the rack rate for those rooms at DLH. So it really doesn't make financial sense. Those points have a fair market value that they can tap of $11/pt. The cash price of a room compared to the point costs through DVC net out to around $9-10/pt. And I emphasize, that's rack rate. If you can find a discount, that's even more money in your pocket.

The key thing to keep in mind is that points are readily convertible to cash. So using your points to buy DLH rooms or cruises is actually costing you cash money. It's primarily a convenience. Instead of having to deal with the process of renting and separately booking a hotel room, you just book the hotel room with your points.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
But it does! If you look at their DVC purchase, dues, and MF as sunk costs that they've already invested in order to save money overall on Disney vacations, then using those points to stay onsite at DLH or PPH is absolutely a cost-saving measure--they'll be staying for free! If they did that with all of their points, every year, I agree that it would not necessarily be the best way to find bargain accommodations at DLR. But to do it once, if they couldn't get into VGC, is perfectly viable and indeed a potentially strong argument for buying direct.
If they are owners at VGC and for whatever reason can't get in there, believe me, they will have no problem at all renting/transferring those points at a premium price on their own. For other resorts' points, I'd do David's, but VGC fetches more than he offers, and by a couple of dollars/point.

So they are not really staying "for free!" if the use points for a stay at PP or DLH. They are paying a premium, in fact, because the points charts at those resorts are becoming less and less DVC friendly each year, causing them to use even more points which could be easily rented out and then some of those proceeds used to book those rooms for cash.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
PCMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety
Oh you guys are all so helpful! This information was wonderful. Unfortunately, due to it being our last full day here and a list a mile long of all we wanted to do, we can to call and cancel because the timing was just awful for what we wanted to do - and knowing we weren't going to buy seemed like 2 hours away from a dip in the pool and collecting some more FPs! So I guess our emotions took over in that.

It looks like I do have a lot more to learn - as I didn't realize that you could still buy any resort from Disney, pending availability I see. Thanks for that piece of helpful information as we are fans of BCV and VWL (go figure, we love the woodsy, lodgy atmosphere! ) And DH is one of those people with a weird love for OKW.

Regarding Aulani, I just don't see us visiting Hawaii. I would love to, but for now, DH doesn't have much desire to. I've been twice before and loved it, as a kid, and later as teen. I think when we do go, it would be a one time thing, and probably when we have kids, and they're older. (I really have to laugh reading that as over the past 5 years I've made a lot of, "Oh, we'll never be able to do that..." type statements, only to do and then exceed them...)

Thanks for the tip about the thread where people discuss getting into VGC at 7 months out. I will have to look into that. I do see the allure of knowing that you do in fact have a room, instead of waiting for those 4 months. Also, thanks for the poster who pointed out that they go for long weekends and don't need all the amenities like kitchen/laundry. That is an excellent point as we love to eat in the park.

We love staying here and we are so sad to leave. We fit into that crowd that swears by staying on property for the true experience (Early entry, entrance into DCA from the hotel, atmosphere, no need to take a tram, bus, shuttle or car anywhere...). And when I look at what we paid for 3 nights, I can't help but think we are making a mistake if we don't consider the option of buying...

Watch out DVC experts...you might have a considering DVC newbie full of questions posting all kinds of things soon (but don't worry, I'll try to keep the dumb questions to a minimum)!

Thanks again, everyone!
Good luck on your research and maybe purchase! Don't write out aulani for kids one day. The great thing about aulani is that the room includes childcare at no additional cost for kids age three and up, and the pools and beach is kids friendly. Swim vests are included and you cab check out beach toys as long as you are a guest at no additional charge as well as use the beach chairs and umbrellas. If you do a Hawaii vacation with little ones aulani is the way to go
PCMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If they rented their points via David's, they'd make more money than the rack rate for those rooms at DLH. So it really doesn't make financial sense. Those points have a fair market value that they can tap of $11/pt. The cash price of a room compared to the point costs through DVC net out to around $9-10/pt. And I emphasize, that's rack rate. If you can find a discount, that's even more money in your pocket.
Onsite DLR hotel discounts have been rarer in the last couple years.

If they are doing a last-minute trip, you want them to chance the rental market rather than have the option of just doing something with their points immediately? Sure there's a great chance of the rental market working for them, but I'm not sure it can be guaranteed.

But note that I was saying it's worth knowing what you want. What I want is obviously different than what other people here want. I have maybe a 1% interest in doing anything with the rental market, even if I'm using more points than I have to. Others would have a 100% interest in it. HurleySweetie needs to know what she and her husband want and are comfortable with.

And if the simple and easy ability to book a last minute stay at PPH and DLR (the Grand might be their fave, but she did say they are *onsite* fans, not JUST GCV fans) is a pretty big difference, for a DLR-fan, between direct and resale points. It's very much worth being aware of.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Onsite DLR hotel discounts have been rarer in the last couple years.
Quote:
If they are doing a last-minute trip, you want them to chance the rental market rather than have the option of just doing something with their points immediately? Sure there's a great chance of the rental market working for them, but I'm not sure it can be guaranteed.
Again, I'm not arguing that it isn't convenient to have an extra option for what to do with your points, but you have to be really right up against the wall before it's going to be a problem renting your points.

One of the key features of DVC is planning ahead. If you think you'll be doing a lot of last-minute stuff (or frankly any last-minute stuff) with your points, you probably shouldn't buy DVC. Most people are either going to plan their trip or rent their points at well before the 6 month mark, because the longer you wait the less is available. This goes triple for VGC.

Every year you use your points for a cruise or a non-DVC hotel is a year you're getting no financial value out of DVC. As a "Hail Mary" kind of thing because your DVC plans fell through, it's a handy option to have, and that's worth something, for sure. And if you think renting your points is something you just can't imagine doing, then that changes the equation a lot.

Were you aware that you can use a broker to rent your points? It's pretty much hassle-free. You send the broker the number of points you want to rent, and generally within a few days he sends you a note telling you what booking to make. You make the booking, and you're done. The broker handles everything else.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You do realize that this isn't how it actually works, right? You pay the money to buy in and you pay the money for the annual maintenance fees. You can't just write it off as a sunk cost and say that your trips are free. Well you can say it, but that doesn't make it true.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #27
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

I oversimplified it, sure, but psychologically that's pretty much how it works. Let's say somebody buys at Aulani. One year they decide they want to stay at the DLR. They try to get into the VGC but can't because of the 7-month window. So they can either pay to stay somewhere or use their points that they've already paid for. Since the points are paid for, using them to get a free hotel room at the DLH or PPH is a nice option that is not available to resale buyers.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
I oversimplified it, sure, but psychologically that's pretty much how it works. Let's say somebody buys at Aulani. One year they decide they want to stay at the DLR. They try to get into the VGC but can't because of the 7-month window. So they can either pay to stay somewhere or use their points that they've already paid for. Since the points are paid for, using them to get a free hotel room at the DLH or PPH is a nice option that is not available to resale buyers.
I get what your saying but people here are going to have a hard time with your use of the word "free" .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #29
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

This may be one of the only places where I can see the convenience of being able to use your points at non-DVC resorts outweighing the option of renting out your points to pay cash for a room. Your VGC points won't fetch a premium on the rental market if there's no availability at that resort, so you'd have to rent them out for whatever the going rate is at other resorts. So if you really have no other use for your VGC points in the near future, blowing a whole bunch on a resort room is easy (but is in no way a financial value). I'm far too frugal with my points to ever think of something like that.

OP, If it were me, I'd put myself on the VGC wait list and be on the hunt for a resale contract as either could take a while to come through. Then if resale comes through, use the money you saved toward cash reservations if you can't get a villa at your home resort. If you have your wait list fulfilled first, enjoy your points and use them however you see fit. No one on the Internet can tell you what will work for you and your family. Some people find value in monetary savings, others find value in ease of use.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #30
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can get VGC direct, but the waiting list is reportedly a year or more. In that year, you could surely see a contract that was reasonable on the resale market. There are contracts available right now for VGC, and new ones come up all the time.

And, of course, the savings are considerable buying resale and the perks you would be losing not really worth anything, depending on how much you value convenience. You can rent your points through a reputable broker like David's, which is about as hassle-free as you can get, and use the cash to book a room at a hotel or a cruise or whatever, and have money left over. In some cases only a little money, but the point remains. If you had points that were bought direct and used them to take a cruise, you'd essentially be paying that extra money for the convenience of being able to make the booking in one operation. That's kind of the opposite of the value proposition of DVC.
The waitlist is nowhere near a year, we went on it in January adn were told 4-5 months and in reality it took 3.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: