DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

Would you buy from an online auction?

There is an auction that is what I am looking for but the seller does not appear to know what they are doing. Would there be a way to do this safely or would you steer clear of it with a ten foot pole?
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
There is an auction that is what I am looking for but the seller does not appear to know what they are doing. Would there be a way to do this safely or would you steer clear of it with a ten foot pole?
I would steer clear, there are no guarantees you will get what you thik you're buying. It works out for some people, but I wouldn't take that kind of gamble on a purchase this large. But that's just me.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

That is what I was thinking
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
nd43
Disney Fan

Quote:
Flat out STAY AWAY. Closing a timeshare contract is a multi step process that requires follow up and co-operation at several steps. Starting with someone that appears to not know what they are doing is a bad sign for future steps. Also, on eBay, etc. fraud is too common. Fraud almost always start with something that appears to be too good to be true. 99% of the time it is not true and you are taking a risk getting tied up in it. Go with a reputable DVC resale company. It will make the entire process much easier and safer.

This is coming from a Power Seller on eBay, so it is not just anti online auction. I just hate to see the criminals on eBay get away with their constant fraud. If you have any doubts, run away. If the price is way too low, run away. If they appear clueless, make obvious typos, call things the wrong name, etc., run away. Most of the online criminals are sloppy, lazy, and have a tendency to only attract victims with very, very low prices. They are fake selling things they know nothing about and that is why they make so many silly mistakes in their listings.

I am sure there are reputable sellers on eBay for timeshares. However, they will have accurate listings at reasonable prices. They will be able to answer all questions fully and promptly. Everything else should be ignored.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

You win the auction, pay the seller and Disney takes the contract with ROFR, how do you get your money back?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
... Would there be a way to do this safely or would you steer clear of it with a ten foot pole?
I'd use a 50 foot pole.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
SSR 160 pts? I wouldn't bite but for different reasons. IMO, if you're going auction you need a really good to great price, cheaper than you could get on your own with a broker. I don't know either of those sellers for the auctions I see listed but one should be able to investigate them if truly interested.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

The auction ended without bidder. it was BCV $75 per point 150 pts. march UY Just what I was looking for.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
abdmom
DIS Veteran

You can use a timeshare closing service to handle the closing. There are plenty of timeshares that have been bought and sold on ebay. As long as you use a reputable service, you should have no problems.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
People are too quick to throw up eBay red flags. Yes, there could be scams out there, but by doing the proper due diligence a buyer can minimize the risk.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

actually EBAY (or someone you are familiar with ) I would.

1) many BK sales go that route, or even deceased family sales.. due to they are unaware a better option would be waiting 60 days .. and some times people just don't have time to list, and do not know enough about it..

I saw a BC go at 64$ a point.. I was bidding on and should have just bit 5$ more pp.. but was bit by another bidder at the last second.. .. but I am now holding out for the Poly.. so I guess better waiting! lol!

If YOU know what you are buying and are informed.. I wouldn't hesitate..

*I wouldn't buy from an auction I didn't know..
** I wouldn't buy a time share I didn't understand every detail about it..
*** I would recind if I didn't get all details/contract in hand within 9 days.. to make sure it is what I thought it was..

You will still have a real estate contract you still fall into FL timeshare (and 10 day real estate )laws.. you still have time to review and make sure it is valid.

Using Pay pal or any credit card, will be legally required to follow the law, so although you might have 5K on credit held hostage for a few weeks. .. you will get your $$ back... if it is not what you think it is find out in 10 days.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
FlipHipster
Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
You win the auction, pay the seller and Disney takes the contract with ROFR, how do you get your money back?

Bill

Funny you should mention that.. Most of the ones I have seen on Ebay don't even mention ROFR which would be important wouldn't you think?

Some of them mention it and offer a full refund if Disney takes the contract, but many don't mention it at all.
FlipHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
I'd use a 50 foot pole.
I'd go one better and use the 50 yard dash!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

This one did not say the UY, points available or ROFR..I had to ask...
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Breyean
OKW - 1993 & VCG - 2011

Many of these auctions, even from what look like brokers, require total payment at auction close.

I'd be hesitant to do that with ROFR looming. Forking over tens of thousands of $$ w/o knowing if you'll actually get the contract is unnerving.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: