DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

This still sounds like DVC isn't maximizing on the fixed weeks. The way they have it working if a person was looking to purchase in order to stay for a week - and it was anything that was a remotely popular time - then why wouldn't they buy a fixed week? It seems that it is discounted even at the so called 10% premium and yet they lose out nothing on the premium if they decided to not use that particular week.

And it seems like a detriment to non-fixed week owners at the resort.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
This still sounds like DVC isn't maximizing on the fixed weeks. The way they have it working if a person was looking to purchase in order to stay for a week - and it was anything that was a remotely popular time - then why wouldn't they buy a fixed week? It seems that it is discounted even at the so called 10% premium and yet they lose out nothing on the premium if they decided to not use that particular week.

IMO the potential losses are that if you only use (or rent) the fixed week you are paying more yearly in dues as well as the up front premium. I suspect you're giving up the right to have smaller contracts (though I haven't checked this out) and you're limited to buying the number of points that match. For some that could be a great option, for others it'd simply be 10% higher costs.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Has it been determined that the fixed week option cost is the same for every week? If so, it would seem that the majority of the weeks could be potentially overcosted with the most popular weeks being discounted, which does not sound right.

I think that the benefits of a fixed week with regards to timing only apply to a small percentage of the weeks. Thanksgiving, Easter and to a lesser extent Christmas weeks are moving targets and cannot be reliably booked year in and year out with the fixed week option. The same can be said for other "movable" holidays. The remainder of the weeks have limited draw and I don't think that anybody is chomping at the bit to purchase a fixed week option for a non race weekend in January.

Personally, I prefer a points based timeshare, as I rarely travel the same week year in and year out and my lengths of stay, arrival and departure days are not consistent either. I think there is value to the fixed week option for some of the busiest times for DVC, and that there are people who will definitely be able to take advantage of and even exploit this option. But I think that will be the exception to the fixed week option and not the rule.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

The fixed weeks do not all cost the same. I saw a chart somewhere, but don't remember where. Wish I would have bookmarked it.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
The fixed weeks do not all cost the same. I saw a chart somewhere, but don't remember where. Wish I would have bookmarked it.
I've got it and will be happy to email it to anyone who wants it. Just email me directly.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
wdrl
DIS Veteran

I, too, have a Guaranteed Week chart for VGF for 2013-2014. The 52 numbered weeks are placed into 16 different price breaks. A one-bedroom Lake View costs as little as 326 points for the cheapest weeks (1-3, 36-38, 49) and as high as 606 points for the most expensive weeks (15-16).

As we toured the VGF models today, a Guide told us the Grand Villa fixed weeks for Christmas have sold out.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
I, too, have a Guaranteed Week chart for VGF for 2013-2014. The 52 numbered weeks are placed into 16 different price breaks. A one-bedroom Lake View costs as little as 326 points for the cheapest weeks (1-3, 36-38, 49) and as high as 606 points for the most expensive weeks (15-16).

As we toured the VGF models today, a Guide told us the Grand Villa fixed weeks for Christmas have sold out.
For those of you keeping score at home, that's a $190,385 purchase. I wonder if they financed.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Tim just posted the chart at DVCNews.com.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts...d-week-details
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Airb330
Mouseketeer

While a great option for some, 7 nights in WDW is too long for me. I prefer shorter trips. I know I'd prefer Saturday-Saturday over Sunday-Sunday as well. I like to have one day between the end of a week-long vacation and work.

My only concern with these fixed weeks is it puts extra pressure on other owners. I'm thinking of purchasing 50 points for short 2-4 day December or October trips, but not necessarily every year. I know those are popular DVC times, and that is why I'd want the 11 month window. I'd be extremely annoyed to not be able to snag a standard studio for a weekend in December at 8AM online on the 11 month window. Between fixed week owners & those who walk their reservation, I'm afraid inventory for studios will be tight even for VGF owners.
Airb330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
icouldlivethere
Mouseketeer

I was just looking at the fixed week points chart and wondering why on earth are weeks 15 & 16 so much more expensive than the other weeks during magic season. With Easter being at a different time each year and spring breaks being at different times each year, why did they pick on those 2 weeks.

icouldlivethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:

The exact numbers are going to vary from year-to-year because of seasonal adjustments to the point charts. But bear in mind that the Fixed Week value is a 50 year AVERAGE of the cost for that week, PLUS another 10%.

Just to use a hypothetical, let's assume the charted cost for a given week in a given villa is:

2013: 400 pts
2014: 325 pts
2015: 355 pts

If those three years were the basis for the calculation, DVC would average it to 360 points and then ADD another 10%. You would have to buy 396 points to secure the fixed week.

I suppose you could look at it as a "win" in 2013 since the 396 owned is less than the 400 required to book the week. However, the reality is you could have simply bought the average of 360 points and used banking and borrowing to balance out needs over the long haul.

On a point-for-point basis, it would be tough to "win" with the Fixed Week in the long run because you own 10% more points than you would otherwise have had to buy for the same stays. (I supposed you could manipulate opt-out years to reap some added benefit--only opting-out when annual costs for the Fixed Week are low.)

As for it being a detriment to points owners at the resort, that is a possibility. But it will only become an issue for periods of the absolute highest demand. Even with the Fixed Week, I doubt we will see a dramatic rise in owners being unable to secure a reservation at exactly 11 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I suspect you're giving up the right to have smaller contracts (though I haven't checked this out) and you're limited to buying the number of points that match.
That is correct. For example, Week 47 in a Two Bedroom Lake View would be a single contract of 532 points.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC

Last edited by tjkraz; 05-31-2013 at 08:47 AM.
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
abner1776
DIS Veteran

Hey...such a deal...a grand villa(lake) weeks 51 or 52 will average 1288 points or $187,000 at $145/p plus annual dues of somewhere around $8,000...I'm game...time to empty out the 401k account !!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

A question that I have is: if we bought week 39 studio lake view and wanted to go for 3 or 4 nights of the 7, could we rent the other 3-4 nights to someone? How would they make that reservation? If I rented out thur, fri and sat nights (69 points at $13pp), it would cover that year's MF.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #29
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
A question that I have is: if we bought week 39 studio lake view and wanted to go for 3 or 4 nights of the 7, could we rent the other 3-4 nights to someone? How would they make that reservation? If I rented out thur, fri and sat nights (69 points at $13pp), it would cover that year's MF.
Can't answer your question but even if it is feasible, I think you'd have your hands full trying to find someone willing to pay $900 for those exact three nights.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Can't answer your question but even if it is feasible, I think you'd have your hands full trying to find someone willing to pay $900 for those exact three nights.
It's a F&W weekend, that may help.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: