Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

Making same day reservations? Or showing up at restaurant?

Assuming that you would like to eat at a non-popular restaurant or during a non-popular time, what is your experience walking up to the restaurant or calling a few minutes in advance?

Specifically, I'm thinking about non-character breakfast at resorts (e.g., Whispering Canyon Cafe, The Wave, Kona, Trail's End, etc.). We're staying at WL and I currently have ADRs, but with the new cancellation policy, i'm thinking I would prefer to play it by ear. Thoughts? Experiences?

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Even if you call or book online the same day you'll still be putting down your credit card.

The one time I stayed at WL and tried to get into WCC for breakfast they were not admitting walk-ins. Wasn't a terribly busy time of year.

Can't imagine not being able to walk into the Wave or Trail's End.

Kona, don't even know anything about.
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
purple figment
DIS Veteran

I don't know if you can call a few minutes in advance and make a reservation. I know that when we tried to make same day online reservations, it didn't give us any options less than 2 hours in advance.

I'm pretty certain they won't be able to tell you if a restaurant is taking walk ups since that would be at the discretion of the restaurant itself.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The one time I stayed at WL and tried to get into WCC for breakfast they were not admitting walk-ins. Wasn't a terribly busy time of year.
Good to know!

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

You would have to literally walk up to a restaurant in order to avoid putting a credit card down. Which is fine if the restaurant is at your resort. But at the parks it can mean quite a bit of walking around.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

You can get an ADR 2-3 hours in advance (I forget which). I routinely make ADRs the morning of or the night before; you'd be surprised at how much is available.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
SSRJen
DIS Veteran

I would not risk trying to walk-up, unless you are willing to wait for a while or be turned away.

However, we were there Thanksgiving week and were able to make reservations (with the app) the night before, morning of, and even a few hours in advance for some restaurants (Il Mulino - night before, Shula's - night before, Kona Cafe - night before, Coral Reef - morning of, Liberty Tree Tavern - few hours before and even Via Napoli lunch - night before). We did not want to be tied down to specific plans every day. It worked very well for us! You just need to be flexible, and like us, not want any of the popular character meals/buffets.
SSRJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
You can get an ADR 2-3 hours in advance (I forget which). I routinely make ADRs the morning of or the night before; you'd be surprised at how much is available.
I'm so glad to hear that. I still need to figure out dinner for 3 out of our 7 nights, and 1-2 more breakfasts.

I already have ADRs for:
2 breakfasts
7 lunches (don't want to risk having to wait at a park)
4 dinners-

Normally, for a 7-night, 8-day stay, I would already have ADRs for 3-4 breakfasts, 6-8 lunches and all 7 nights' dinner. However, the new FP+ and the new CC policy for everything is making me less sure of our plans, so we'll play it by ear closer to the date.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinotinto View Post
I'm so glad to hear that. I still need to figure out dinner for 3 out of our 7 nights, and 1-2 more breakfasts.

I already have ADRs for:
2 breakfasts
7 lunches (don't want to risk having to wait at a park)
4 dinners-

Normally, for a 7-night, 8-day stay, I would already have ADRs for 3-4 breakfasts, 6-8 lunches and all 7 nights' dinner. However, the new FP+ and the new CC policy for everything is making me less sure of our plans, so we'll play it by ear closer to the date.
You will still have to give a credit card if you make your ADR even a few hours ahead of time. We did that once during our trip a couple of weeks ago, and they reminded us a few times during booking that we would be charged the no show fee if we missed our meal time.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: