Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
mooncrumbs
Earning My Ears

Disneymooning in September 2014

Hi everybody! My name is Amanda, and I am a long-time lurker and first time poster on the boards. I have decided to come out of hiding because my fiance and I just got engaged last November in Disneyworld, and are now planning our honeymoon. Obviously, the only choice for us was Disney! We are trying not to spend unnecessary money, but we did want to stay in a nicer resort for our honeymoon. (We stayed in All-Star Music in November, which is fine, but not quite romantic, IMO). We are currently thinking of either Coronado Springs or Port Orleans-Riverside, since my dream of the Grand Floridian is out of the question, due to money. Any recommendations for us? Even if it's not one of those two resorts, I am open to any suggestions. I've never stayed anywhere but the All Stars, so I don't really know where to begin. Thanks for any help!

Also, I hope this is posted in the right place. Please let me know if it's not.
mooncrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
bradleyjess
Mouseketeer

Those are the two moderates I've stayed in and I love them both! However, I think Port Orleans Riverside is more romantic. You can stroll around the grounds, take a boat ride to DTD or schedule a horse-drawn carriage ride, which we thought was really nice!

It's a lovely resort! I'm getting married this Sept at Disney, too, by the way!

My resort history: BoardWalk Villas, Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo and Kidani, Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, WDW Dolphin, Yacht Club, Contemporary and Coronado Springs.
bradleyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
mooncrumbs
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your suggestion! And congratulations! I wish I were getting married in Disney as well; that's so awesome!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
RedHotAssets
Earning My Ears

Since it's so far in advance, you should consider renting DVC points from a Grand Floridian owner, if it's your dream to stay there. You only get one honeymoon! My fiancé & I are looking into staying at BLT for our Disneymoon because we have our hearts set on staying at the Contemporary. DVC points are way cheaper than the cost of a room - for us, it would cost a little over $500 for 3 nights at BLT and around $1,200 for 3 nights at Contemporary! I say, do DVC rather than put the money into a moderate resort. Good luck!
RedHotAssets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
mooncrumbs
Earning My Ears

Hi- is there a thread or more information on how renting points works? I have never heard of that? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
ckrisie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncrumbs View Post
Hi- is there a thread or more information on how renting points works? I have never heard of that? Thanks!
There is a whole board devoted to renting points, we are renting points for our honeymoon and we used David's or you can the dis to connect directly with the renter. You can book at the home resort of a rent at 11 months out or at any of the properties at 7 months. We are doing a split stay at the Boardwalk and at Old Key West. We thought OKW was similar feel to GF. So you might want look at that one too. I would check out the stickeys on that thread Good luck!

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
princessluna14
Earning My Ears

We are looking to take our honeymoon next July to Disney and are thinking of staying at POR!

Check out my running blog! www.runlikea-princess.com
princessluna14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
penguinkimberly
Mouseketeer

I think of those choices I would go with POR. I'm just starting my planning for mine and am going with POFQ. I have stayed at all the moderates and that is my favorite. My fiancé has never been to WDW, so I will pick resort!!
penguinkimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
janine83
Earning My Ears

I get married this October 26th and will be Disneymooning and we leave the morning after. We chose to stay at POR in their new Royal rooms. So excited!!!!! I'm a Disney Freak
janine83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

POR is quite lovely and romantic! I also have to throw Coronado Springs out there as it's simply our favorite mod.

Congrats on the engagement!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
meggimouse
Disney's First Tattooed Princess

I have been to disney multiple times and stayed at different resorts with my fiancé and our favorite is the port orleans riverside! we had friends who did a split stay at wilderness lodge and POR and they even said they preferred POR and will be staying there on their honeymoon.

my fiancé and i are staying at the wilderness lodge for our honeymoon but will definitely be going over to POR to walk around since we love it so much! definitely book at POR!

we can't afford the grand floridian either but love going there at night to swim in the pool (don't care if that's looked down upon!) and then watch the fireworks from the back lawn over looking the water.

if your dream is to stay at the grand floridian - stay one night if you can't afford the whole thing! or if even that's too much (which i think it is) than book a day there - have a meal, get a massage, go swimming, watch the fireworks, etc. just because you can't afford to honeymoon there doesn't mean you can't go and enjoy the amenities!

however, i think you'll definitely love POR!

meggimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
goteamSy
Mouseketeer

I agree with whoever suggested renting DVC points. If you do your research you can get a great deal!

POR is great, and definitely make sure you pay extra for the king room! I would definitely choose this over French Quarter. I would stay away from CSR as it's a convention property, which sometimes takes the "romance" out of it. We stayed there once for - go figure - a convention. It was nice, but definitely not somewhere I'd consider for a honeymoon.

I would also explore CBR. It really is a beautiful property. We were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was the last time we stayed there. It's been a while but it was more "romantic" than we expected. We really enjoyed walking the grounds and were surprised by how quiet it was. Maybe because we went during an off time? Who knows!

I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter where you stay!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
SOnotLayuh
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I'm also going to suggest renting points - checkout www.dvcrequest.com. David is amazing, and you will end up paying less for Deluxe accommodations than you would on a mod. Sooo much less. It really adds up.
| ASMo 05.05 | Offsite 05.06 | Pop 05.07 | Pop/CSR 07.08 | AKL 07.09 | AKL 04.10 | Dolphin 07.10 | Offsite 09.10 | CSR 11.10 | WL CL 02.11 | DTD Hilton 05.11 | CR CL 9.11 | BWV 10.11 | CSR/BLT 03.12 | AKV/BWV 05.12 | SSR 08.12 | AKV 10.12 | BLT/SSR 12.13 | AKV 03.14 | AKV CL Disneymoon 10.14 |

SOnotLayuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engagement, honeymoon, resort comparison

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: