Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #1711
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That has been much discussed.

However, there appear to be none of these "guest kiosks" in the parks now,
and it's getting very close to time for the first guest tests of MagicBands and FP+. (And, all of the other "touch-point" readers HAVE been installed.)

There are some kiosks that look to be specifically for Cast Members to access, but it doesn't
seem practical that a CM would have to read your FP+ info to you... and potentially hundreds of other guests.
Having just left WDW on my way home, I can confirm that there is no sign of any guest-oriented equipment beyond the scanning posts at any of the attractions I saw at DHS, Epcot or MK. There is a kiosk set up near the scanning posts for CMs to see when guests scan their bands/cards at the posts.

Even where I would have expected to see something based on their location - like where the old FP kiosks for HM used to be - there is absolutely nothing.

The only unusual thing is there is still one of those "boxes" they use to cover something at TSM, between the entrance and the FP kiosks. But it isn't anything very significant in size.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #1712
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

I'm here now, staying onsite at Universal. We are Disney vets with 18 trips under our belts. But, I have to say with HP, the new Transformers ride, the Springfield expansion and everything else...Universal is kicking some Disney booty.

We booked 9 days at the resort and could stay even longer, no problem. We did journey over to MK on Friday and Animal Kingdom today. Today, our AK day, was a let down. Maybe it was a been there done that kind of thing, maybe it was the heat. But we left after 5 hours and couldn't get back to our hotel fast enough.

Now after refreshing showers and a feeling of "ahh, back to tranquility" we are off to see if the Transformers ride is up and running again tonight. Life is good!

I think the "motherland" better watch it's back.
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #1713
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

But then how much time do I lose standing in line to find out when the next time I don't have to wait in stand by is going to be? Besides it's not times for fast pass I'm worried about tracking. I can always write that down - I take a 3 ring binder into the parks with me anyway so that wont be hard.

I'm wanting to stay on top of last minute available fast passes and the like. Not to mention that it will be easier to avoid stand by lines if I can see how long their going to be from anywhere in the park and if standby is going to get as bad as some around here seem to think - I'm going to need every edge I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
If you are really concerned about it you can get a smart phone for free and a one month contract from companies like StraightTalk for $50 unlimited everything. I would think Disney would have kiosks set up that you get scan your own band to check your schedule.
NickyKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #1714
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #1715
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Having just left WDW on my way home, I can confirm that there is no sign of any guest-oriented equipment beyond the scanning posts at any of the attractions I saw at DHS, Epcot or MK. There is a kiosk set up near the scanning posts for CMs to see when guests scan their bands/cards at the posts.

Even where I would have expected to see something based on their location - like where the old FP kiosks for HM used to be - there is absolutely nothing.

The only unusual thing is there is still one of those "boxes" they use to cover something at TSM, between the entrance and the FP kiosks. But it isn't anything very significant in size.

Curiouser and curiouser..

Thanks for the first-hand report!

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #1716
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Rileygirl, you should copy and paste all of your posts into a single document. With a little bit of editing, you might have a best-seller on your hands.

MOUSE WARS: How Disney and Universal compete for Orlando's Tourism Dollars

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #1717
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Rileygirl, they do offer a ticket that includes Wet 'n Wild. They do have free transportation from the Universal hotels to Wet 'n Wild and SeaWorld. They do offer tickets that include SeaWorld on their website.

The power pass is $10 more than the 4 day ticket and that is for a full year minus some black out dates---so doesn't really make sense to have a 7 day ticket as well. The annual pass with no blackout dates ( and discounts) is $50 cheaper than a WDW 7 day ticket and is renewable for under $200.

They offer a 14 day ticket to UK visitors. http://www.universal-bookings.co.uk/park.html

Disney will never allow Universal transportation on their property. Why would they?

The Knight bus will be part of Diagon Alley. It is in the concept art. http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...rld-expansion/
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #1718
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

So I was there during a test phase and there are kiosks. They are stored when not testing and are wheeled out for testing then plugged in. I have to imagine they will be rolled off state every night and secured in a closed location as well.

During testing there was a kiosk at Guest Relations, a few at Buzz Lightyear Space ranger Spin, 2 at Jungle Cruise and I think one somewhere in fantasyland.

You have the option of your itinerary being emailed so you could print it at home. My friend and I just screen-capped ours and also had it in our google calendar so we could check quickly what was up with out having to use Internet to check. We only switched at the kiosks when we saw that the wait time was not worth using our fastpass. So we would quickly change the fastpass then go get in standby. I never felt like our Standby times were any longer than before. We were able to do our 3 fastpass+ attractions plus 4 other standbys before I had to leave for work at 3. We got to the park around 10 am. So a short day fitting in about 1 attraction an hour is not so bad.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #1719
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
Rileygirl, you should copy and paste all of your posts into a single document. With a little bit of editing, you might have a best-seller on your hands.

MOUSE WARS: How Disney and Universal compete for Orlando's Tourism Dollars
Ahhh, but would it be a work of fiction or a biography? I hope I am hitting some points on the head though....

Damo, I have a detailed response coming, just not sure if it will get posted this morning, as I have a lot of stuff on the agenda.

After that, I think I should stop posting, as this thread has floated down to page 3, and I dont think I should keep bumping it back up. With its title, and its severe diversion from topic, it probably should die a natural death.

I have really enjoyed posting on it though. Its been fun, and its really made me think.

~A
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #1720
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #1721
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
I'm here now, staying onsite at Universal. We are Disney vets with 18 trips under our belts. But, I have to say with HP, the new Transformers ride, the Springfield expansion and everything else...Universal is kicking some Disney booty.....I think the "motherland" better watch it's back.
I agree the Universal does some things really well, but i have to say that my biggest complaint with Universal is that too many attractions are 3d rides. At least for my liking there are too many.

We absolutely love the unlimited express pass while staying onsite but the only reason that works is due to Universal only having 3 onsite hotels thus no capacity to overcrowd the parks with onsite guests. I would however be a fan of Disney offering such a perk for a premium. Universal offers it as an upgrade to offsite guests but it's so pricey as an upgrade you can stay onsite.

Unless Universal buys a very large parcel of land in FL, i just don't see them being able to draw mass volumes of people away from Disney. Even if Universal opened up 2 more locations in the USA i don't see them denting Disney's overall draw.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1722
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

as a comment to Rileygirls's last post, i have to say that Universal's website is horrible. for all the complaints we have about issues with Disney sites....Universal's is as bad as any i've encountered for userfriendliness.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1723
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Lots of thought provoking info in this thread!

Ratatouille, the Ride!

Last edited by magicbob; 06-18-2013 at 04:21 AM.
magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #1724
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Hey Magic Bob, I meant after I responded to Damo.

But darn it, I just did it again.

Im stopping now. My eyes are buggy.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #1725
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
as a comment to Rileygirls's last post, i have to say that Universal's website is horrible. for all the complaints we have about issues with Disney sites....Universal's is as bad as any i've encountered for userfriendliness.
Agreed! I was toying with the idea of heading over to see HP on our upcoming trip and their website had me sooo frustrated. I finally gave up and came on DIS to find out more about Universal, touring plans, etc.

Unfortunately, the slower-than-dial-up experience I have on Disney's website (using a T1 connection) is an entirely different bag of "icky poo"!

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: