Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #1636
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post

This stuff is in the realm of possibility I think, but it would be a very complicated business. I just dont know how much info, and what kind of parameters they will be able to set. And how easily the bean counters will be able to control the 'bath tub taps'

Its the POTENTIAL of the system that should be making competitors shake a little in their boots. It will, in my opinion, revolutionalize target marketing and also crowd control. Alas, its downfall is the complexity IT needs to deal with, and 'selling' the idea of prebooking to the masses. I think it can be done. I think THEY think it can be done. However, if the roll out is messy and bumpy, fraught with computer glitches, they have opened the DOOR for their competitors to go for the juggular. Wise marketing on their parts could sink this entire scheme, causing a huge loss of dollars to disney, and also, instead of being ahead of the theme park ball curve, they are going to be way behind, because UO and Seaworld are so far ahead on adding attractions and theming, beating Disney by using 'old school'. (I just am working on another huge email to UO execs with some ideas regarding this.)

Its also possible, given the imagined difficulty of getting people 'on board' to prebook their fast pass, that Disney intend sfirst to offer it to resort guests, and it will act very much like a fotl. However, I truly believe that Disney's intention all along is to subtly screw Universal and every other competing theme park, by tying this to admission media, and not resort bookings. They are playing the magical express logic to magic plus.

The random showing up of 'buttons' on aps and website stuff (and the quick disappearance') makes me really think Disney is tinkering hard behind the scenes, to make it work perfectly when it debuts, and frustrating their competitors by offering a glitch free IT system. There is another thread talking about some random appearances, but the person was from a different time zone.....

Correct me if I am wrong IT people, but they can really see how the whole system will operate on the 'administators' site, and run scenarios, without actually playing with it on the live system. They may turn on the switch for a second or two, in order to see how things look on the live site. I would guess they do this mostly at odd times.

The other aggrevating factor is the lack of kiosks in any of the theme parks yet. Is it because they are so not ready? Or is it corporate cloak and dagger with the intention of 'shock and awe'.

~A
They need to be really careful not to oversell it though, cause if they portray it as some sort of uber prebooked fotl pass, people will come away disappointed.

A fine line. Too much honesty on restrictions, not all that an attractive prospect. Too little, disappointment and inflated expectations.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #1637
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The other aggrevating factor is the lack of kiosks in any of the theme parks yet. Is it because they are so not ready? Or is it corporate cloak and dagger with the intention of 'shock and awe'.

~A
There is a video on YouTube created by Orlando Attractions magazine demonstrating how to use a Kiosk. I don't know if it is in a park or at a media event. Someone posted a link to it earlier in the thread.

We just came home from our 11th trip, a week at Pop Century!
Dreamer & Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #1638
Happy99
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not. It is a video of Tom Staggs explaining a bit of how the bands will work
Briefly touches on FP+ but nothing that really answers the questions we have here

Warning - it is a long video about 25-30 min in length

http://live.wsj.com/video/thomas-sta...9-59DCE53C18F1

Last edited by Happy99; 05-31-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #1639
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This stuff is in the realm of possibility I think, but it would be a very complicated business. I just dont know how much info, and what kind of parameters they will be able to set. And how easily the bean counters will be able to control the 'bath tub taps'

Its the POTENTIAL of the system that should be making competitors shake a little in their boots. It will, in my opinion, revolutionalize target marketing and also crowd control. Alas, its downfall is the complexity IT needs to deal with, and 'selling' the idea of prebooking to the masses. I think it can be done. I think THEY think it can be done. However, if the roll out is messy and bumpy, fraught with computer glitches, they have opened the DOOR for their competitors to go for the juggular. Wise marketing on their parts could sink this entire scheme, causing a huge loss of dollars to disney, and also, instead of being ahead of the theme park ball curve, they are going to be way behind, because UO and Seaworld are so far ahead on adding attractions and theming, beating Disney by using 'old school'. (I just am working on another huge email to UO execs with some ideas regarding this.)

Its also possible, given the imagined difficulty of getting people 'on board' to prebook their fast pass, that Disney intend sfirst to offer it to resort guests, and it will act very much like a fotl. However, I truly believe that Disney's intention all along is to subtly screw Universal and every other competing theme park, by tying this to admission media, and not resort bookings. They are playing the magical express logic to magic plus.

The random showing up of 'buttons' on aps and website stuff (and the quick disappearance') makes me really think Disney is tinkering hard behind the scenes, to make it work perfectly when it debuts, and frustrating their competitors by offering a glitch free IT system. There is another thread talking about some random appearances, but the person was from a different time zone.....

Correct me if I am wrong IT people, but they can really see how the whole system will operate on the 'administators' site, and run scenarios, without actually playing with it on the live system. They may turn on the switch for a second or two, in order to see how things look on the live site. I would guess they do this mostly at odd times.

~A
I don't see the lack of kiosks as meaning they aren't ready for roll-out. At least in my mind, all they'd need to do to make the kiosks operational is literally roll them out to where they want them, plug them in and they should be ready to go.

Whether it will actually work that way is a different story.

A little off-topic, but I was willing to withhold judgement on RFID until I saw how it worked and used it myself. I thought going through the turnstiles was much easier/quicker, paying for merchandise was a snap and it was nice to wave our KTTW card in front of our door lock.

No, we did not have any problems with RFID on our recent vacation, which admittedly colors my perception of how well it works.

FP+ gives me pause, where RFID didn't.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #1640
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #1641
4under4
DIS Veteran

Friend of mine just came back from Orlando. She & her family have gone at least yearly for a VERY long time, ALWAY staying on site. This time they stayed at WBC. I smiled and nodded while she gave me her report...

Her comments:

~ We loved having a car and really being able to do so much in the Orlando area, even venturing as far Tampa to visit the ocean.

~ We only spent a couple days at the parks [WDW], and 3 at US/IOA

~ WWHP is stunning!

~ The rides at US are sooooo cool.

~ US/IOA put WDW to shame, but of course WDW is 50 years old, so I guess that's to be expected.

Disney Bean Counters: ARE YOU TAKING NOTES?

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #1642
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
Friend of mine just came back from Orlando. She & her family have gone at least yearly for a VERY long time, ALWAY staying on site. This time they stayed at WBC. I smiled and nodded while she gave me her report...

Her comments:

~ We loved having a car and really being able to do so much in the Orlando area, even venturing as far Tampa to visit the ocean.

~ We spent only spent a couple days at the parks [WDW], and 3 at US/IOA

~ WWHP is stunning!

~ The rides at US are sooooo cool.

~ US/IOA put WDW to shame, but of course WDW is 50 years old, so I guess that's to be expected.

My opinion:
US/IOA is for thrill rides, Disney is not though it's added a few that help. I don't want Disney to be like US/IOA. Ever. Two completely different parks/resorts.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #1643
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
My opinion:
US/IOA is for thrill rides, Disney is not though it's added a few that help. I don't want Disney to be like US/IOA. Ever. Two completely different parks/resorts.
You can bet that in the next five years, Universal will be adding a lot more family attractions.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #1644
4under4
DIS Veteran

She wasn't just talking about the thrill rides. She was talking about the theming (especially with WWHP), the lack of wear and tear throughout the park, and for them, the excitement of experiencing something new.

I can't stress this enough, this is a DIE HARD WDW family. We bonded over our love of the world. Our conversations usually start with "have you booked yet?" This is the family that other people comment about: "I just don't understand why they keep going back there".

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #1645
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
You can bet that in the next five years, Universal will be adding a lot more family attractions.
Unless they changed their whole personality and training of employees, they'll never be a whole family destination. IMO. Been there enough, just feel "filthy" and un-valued after a day in their parks. Basically, I equate Disney parks to a G rating. US/IOA is PG and in some cases, PG-13.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #1646
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
Unless they changed their whole personality and training of employees, they'll never be a whole family destination. IMO. Been there enough, just feel "filthy" and un-valued after a day in their parks. Basically, I equate Disney parks to a G rating. US/IOA is PG and in some cases, PG-13.
Many employees work at both Universal and Disney.

I have to say that I've never felt filthy or un-valued at Universal but I pretty much love all parks and have been to most of them in North America.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #1647
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Easier to add family rides to a thrill ride park than the other way round without upsetting guests ("I come here for kids rides not a roller coaster!") IMO. Teens and thrill aficionados never seemed to be bothered by Seuss landing for example. I think people who go to WDW would be far more bothered if they put in a lot more thrill rides without a lot of kids rides. Not to mention some of the franchises US can bring in. They'll have less problems fitting in a more varied range of themes without disrupting any overarching theme. That's the main advantage of having a more eclectic theme than disney does.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #1648
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post

It really depends on the person - our family isn't into the really big thrill rides and do love the HP area at Universal but after we do a few shows, do the few rides we do go on we are normally done by 2pm at either park. After a couple of days we are basically done. We do like Universal but just not the same experience and not a week long destination

I am not a "Disney cannot do wrong" type of person
just my 2cents
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #1649
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy99 View Post
It really depends on the person - our family isn't into the really big thrill rides and do love the HP area at Universal but after we do a few shows, do the few rides we do go on we are normally done by 2pm at either park. After a couple of days we are basically done. We do like Universal but just not the same experience and not a week long destination

I am not a "Disney cannot do wrong" type of person
just my 2cents
Right now, Universal doesn't sell itself as a week long vacation. I don't think that is their goal. Maybe a three day vacation.

Universal just added Transformers (in soft openings right now). Springfield will open in a few weeks with one new small ride and some eating establishments. Diagon Alley will open next year with two new rides and several new attractions. Jurassic Park is supposed to open the following summer with two more attractions. Then it is rumoured that there will be a kid zone overhaul, a complete island overhaul in IOA and some other things that are still in the planning mode. It will easily be a three day vacation. Comcast has stated that every available parcel of land will be filled in 7 years with new attractions.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #1650
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Right now, Universal doesn't sell itself as a week long vacation. I don't think that is their goal. Maybe a three day vacation.
I understand but when I go on vacation the last thing I want to do is to change hotels when staying in the same city

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: