Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1591
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Maybe I don't get it because I've never been there under the current FP system. As a kid (went 4 times) waiting in line was just something you did at Disney. They still had huge crowds and I know I never complained about waiting.

At the other parks I've gone to recently we didn't use FP (not sure they have them). In Paris never waited more than 15 minutes for anything and walked right on to Space Mountain and several main attractions. In Tokyo the only thing we waited for more than 15 minutes was the talking turtle experience which was brand new, turned out to be a show in Japanese so a total bummer for us. Still my kids thought it was cute and the line had a fun theme. My Izzy played with a little girl of about the same age with zero languages between them and never complained.

So yeah, I can't imagine saying "I'll never go back to Disney without x number of FP per day." Just seems like a shame when you (general you not pointing to one person) say you LOVE the park so much.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1592
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

So Disney has this multi billion dollar vacation resort for 42 years ,starting with 1 theme park 2 hotels and a campground, and yet so many of you think they don't know what they're doing???????????
John Carter ? What about Battleship from the folks at Universal ? US might have shut down had Comcast not purchased them.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read here Thanks for the entertainment!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #1593
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
I guess I can see the idea behind this but FD is offered at slower times of year. Why would more FP+ be needed?
I, for one, will not pay the outrageous rack rates so I can have couple extra FP+. I am very nervous our Wdw vacations are numbered after all I have been reading. So sad.
I was not suggesting "a few extra FP+". I was suggesting, possibly, "unlimited FP+" during slow times as an incentive. Sort of similar to US/IOA for onsite hotels but for everyone if they buy tickets in advance and book their day. It would not cost them anything additional but it would be cool to have everything you wanted on your reservation including parades and fireworks. If they tripled the number of FP+, you could essentially do everything you wanted and have premier viewing for parades and fireworks and the cost to Disney is, well, electricity?
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #1594
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Does it really matter what books are out or even movies? How many books has there been that feature Mickey Mouse lately? I don't see that hurting him.

I see both Star Wars and Harry Potter being around forever. However any good ride will survive in some capacity no matter who it features. See Splash Mountain for another example. Or Tower of Terror. How old is the Twilight Zone? I could go on and on...

Again, there are plenty of people older like me in the Universal parks when we go. We are not an endangered species. Just like there are plenty of teens at WDW.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #1595
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
I was not suggesting "a few extra FP+". I was suggesting, possibly, "unlimited FP+" during slow times as an incentive. Sort of similar to US/IOA for onsite hotels but for everyone if they buy tickets in advance and book their day. It would not cost them anything additional but it would be cool to have everything you wanted on your reservation including parades and fireworks. If they tripled the number of FP+, you could essentially do everything you wanted and have premier viewing for parades and fireworks and the cost to Disney is, well, electricity?
But can't you pretty much do this anyway during slow time? Isn't that why they call it slow time and isn't this why lots of people say it is best to go during a slow time? I really can't say since we always go in June but with the current FP system we generally do everything you stated above and it isn't slow time just by being there are RD and staying until close.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #1596
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Does it really matter what books are out or even movies? How many books has there been that feature Mickey Mouse lately? I don't see that hurting him.

I see both Star Wars and Harry Potter being around forever. However any good ride will survive in some capacity no matter who it features. See Splash Mountain for another example. Or Tower of Terror. How old is the Twilight Zone? I could go on and on...

Again, there are plenty of people older like me in the Universal parks when we go. We are not an endangered species. Just like there are plenty of teens at WDW.
This is it exactly. The attraction itself as well as its theming will determine the "staying power". There is no book for SM or BTMR or EE. There is theming and a backstory. If the backstory happens to be a work of literature or a movie? Well great! However, if it is badly themed or a dated movie...the ride must stand alone and some do.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #1597
Cmeller
Earning My Ears

The more I think about this I sometimes think it would be better to just go back to no FP of any kind. I think you would get to go on more rides with avg wait times.

When I hear that they let 8 FP on a ride for every 2 stand bys it makes me upset. This is why there are 90 min waits for rides unless you get a FP. Kind of a shame.
Cmeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #1598
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeller View Post
When I hear that they let 8 FP on a ride for every 2 stand bys it makes me upset. This is why there are 90 min waits for rides unless you get a FP. Kind of a shame.
Sorry, but I don't agree.

And, I have years of experience with headliner attractions before FP came along.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #1599
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeller View Post
The more I think about this I sometimes think it would be better to just go back to no FP of any kind. I think you would get to go on more rides with avg wait times.

The key is what is an "average" or acceptable wait time. For Disney according to the recent interview, the less time spent in line the better.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #1600
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
The key is what is an "average" or acceptable wait time.

For Disney according to the recent interview, the less time spent in line the better.
I think that pretty much sums up what EVERYBODY thinks.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #1601
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
So Disney has this multi billion dollar vacation resort for 42 years ,starting with 1 theme park 2 hotels and a campground, and yet so many of you think they don't know what they're doing???????????
John Carter ? What about Battleship from the folks at Universal ? US might have shut down had Comcast not purchased them.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read here Thanks for the entertainment!
Well gee, I'm just glad we could entertain you, I know that's what I was aiming for. What a joke eh? I guess we just didn't realise that Disneys age and the simple fact they actually own theme parks around the world (thanks for pointing that out btw, I didn't realise they had more than one park!) makes it impossible for them to screw up, ever. Thanks for correcting me!

Anyway, back on topic, I still think that offering 6 or 8 FP to people is going to A) make the fastpass line a lot longer than it is now if enough people take it up and therefore B) make it so if you didn't plan out all your rides in advance, good luck waiting in standby. I think they have to limit FP+ for a reason.

The more people using it, the less fastpasses each person will get unless they boost the available numbers of FP to higher levels than now, and that will hurt standby lines even more than FP does now for those not using it.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-31-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #1602
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
I'm sure I missed it somewhere as I've been trying to follow along. I keep reading folks saying that there will only be 3 FP+ and maybe per park, or total... anyways..can someone direct me to the exact source of that information? I keep reading it as if it is official, but I haven't seen the official mentioning of it.
Thanks!
Shhhhhhh, don't ruin the rampant speculation, hand wringing, canceling of vacation plans, and selling of DVC contracts with your quest for facts.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #1603
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
My daughter loved meeting Mickey and Belle. She doesn't need them to call her by name.
And there was no need to spend $1B so they could call her by name when they could just say "and what's YOUR name?" as each kid walks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Plus it is spread over 10 parks worldwide. $100 mil wont even cover 45 minutes of making John Carter.
Who's John Carter?

Quote:
I absolutely agree with this. If Disney can offer "additional FP+" during certain times of the year, why offer something that costs them money? This opens the possibility of FP+ as the carrot to get you to stay onsite during slower times. No need to discount rooms or offer free food. After the initial rollout of limited FP+, offering to double or triple the amount during certain times of the year is a no-brainer. This also fits in perfectly with the terms and conditions regarding the number of FP+ available....that it will vary depending on time of year, park population, etc.
Quote:
I think the way Disney will monetize FP+ is to use it as an incentive in place of room discounts and free dining once everyone gets used to the idea of limited FP.
Replacing an incentive with real monetary value (free dining or room discounts) with extra FP+ reservations (which don't cost Disney anything to provide) will hasten the return on that $1B investment. But the guest is ultimately "paying" for those FP+s by no longer getting discounts. This another potential negative to the proposed system. Well, maybe a positive for the Disney beancounters, but a negative for the guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
I guess I can see the idea behind this but FD is offered at slower times of year. Why would more FP+ be needed?
I, for one, will not pay the outrageous rack rates so I can have couple extra FP+. I am very nervous our Wdw vacations are numbered after all I have been reading. So sad.
We are speculating that you wouldn't have a choice. It wouldn't be a matter of losing the discount if you OPT for more FP+. They just wouldn't offer the discounts. FP++ (notice the double plus?) would BE the only incentive offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
John Carter ? What about Battleship from the folks at Universal ?
Poor Taylor Kitsch. He's getting hit from both sides today!

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #1604
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

In a plane so can't really link right now...but I believe the T&C and definitely as statements by Nick Franklin who is in charge of it all have all said three pure-book fastpass+ selections
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #1605
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Shhhhhhh, don't ruin the rampant speculation, hand wringing, canceling of vacation plans, and selling of DVC contracts with your quest for facts.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...ets-closer.htm

http://wdwnt.com/fastpass-ride-reser...hird-test-run/

http://mousehints.com/my-magic-plus/fastpass-plus

http://micechat.com/17855-walt-disne...fastpass-plus/

All mention 3 a day based off T+C's I believe, and CM comments (though I'd trust the T+C's more). It could change, but so could everything else about this system.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: