Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #1531
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Well I just had a talk with my mother about all this (she was convinced it wasn't happening full stop) and showed her the articles on personalisation and using your phone more etc and it looks like she won't be going back anytime soon if this comes into force.

As she put it seems tailor made for "a certain class" of guest, excludes the others and will probably hurt our style of touring if it does go ahead. I asked her if she would have used this when we were kids, and nope. Just doesn't look to be any good for us.

So, it looks like if this is how it works at rollout, some of you uber planners will have less competition for fastpasses than before. There's a bit of good news for you! I'm going to look for some alternate destinations in case this does go ahead. I'll keep searching in hope that this is going to change, but I don't think so.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #1532
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Well I just had a talk with my mother about all this (she was convinced it wasn't happening full stop) and showed her the articles on personalisation and using your phone more etc and it looks like she won't be going back anytime soon if this comes into force.

As she put it seems tailor made for "a certain class" of guest, excludes the others and will probably hurt our style of touring if it does go ahead. I asked her if she would have used this when we were kids, and nope. Just doesn't look to be any good for us.

So, it looks like if this is how it works at rollout, some of you uber planners will have less competition for fastpasses than before. There's a bit of good news for you! I'm going to look for some alternate destinations in case this does go ahead. I'll keep searching in hope that this is going to change, but I don't think so.
Good news for us! One fewer person to have to compete with for FPs!

Seems like kind of an overreaction.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #1533
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
Customized Magic Bands = $45
Reserved Premium Parade Seating = $75
Personalized Interactive Parade Experience = $150

THIS ^^^^ PRICELESS!!!
hehehehehe

And squidgyness, dont get too depressed. We really acually have so little concrete info, its all just a speculation game right now. You have to keep it in perspective!

Last edited by Rileygirl; 05-30-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Rileygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #1534
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post

Which is what I have been saying since page #80!

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #1535
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
C - Could be some internal dissent over what this will be.

Also, can anyone else imagine a family with a little boy going through it's a small world and...

"Here it comes! We got a surprise for you Christopher!"

Then you see the little doll and it says...

"HELLO LAUREN." or "HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"
ET at US had this 15 years ago, probably still do.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #1536
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
But Harry Potter is done. There are no more books, there are no more movies. The kids who read those books may or may not pass them down to their own kids. And again, I do not feel that some family 20 years from now is going to take their kids all the way to USF just for an attraction about a book that wouldn't have been relevant in 15 years!

But they will for Star Wars...
Books like Harry Potter may not be timeless, but this series will certainly be relevant for many decades to come. Just as children that like science fiction still enjoy Ender's Game, so will those who prefer fantasy like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings series. This series has more readers than any other in HISTORY, and more copies are sold every day. So far, more than 450 million copies have been sold (half again more than any other book series), and it has been printed in 67 different languages.

Consider that the NY Times changed the way that it manages its Best Sellers list TWICE because of the Harry Potter books. Why? Because the books dominated the top spots on its lists for too long. After more than 18 months holding at least the top 3 spots, the NY Times added a children's books category to make room for other novels. But the Harry Potter books similarly dominated that list, so they soon created a "series" list under children's books.

For more than a decade, the Harry Potter books dominated book sales all over the world. I think it is here to stay, and that our grandchildren, and great grandchildren will love the books as much as our children (and many of us) did.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #1537
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post

Perhaps it is.

But given that we can't prebook rides, wouldn't want to, and couldn't care less about personalising anything or even carrying our phones on us, this system doesn't seem geared up to benefit us, does it?

If it doesn't hurt our style of touring, then fine we will still go back. But if you can't get decent fastpasses without prebooking, and all this personalisation stuff gets spouted at you if you are in the same area of the ride, I'm not going back.

I would say I was only going to US and SW, but with a 4000 mile, 8 hour flight and 5 hour time difference, anything less than 2 weeks is just not worth it. I don't think I could fill 2 weeks with either just WDW or US/IOA. Maybe 8-9 days at a push.

I don't think it's an overreaction to not patronise a business that has not only not improved my experience but harmed it. If it doesn't harm it, I'll still go back, but for the new things at US/SW. Nor do I think it is an overreaction for having a backup destination just in case the worst does happen. Your views may differ, but you don't take my trips

I'll be keeping an eye out for what my fellow international travellers do in response to this. My mother has friends that tour in a similar style to us every few years, I'll wait for their reports before deciding anything permanent, but that neccesitates a lot of waiting. Possibly years. Trips to WDW just don't fall out of the trees, and I'm not going to take one till I know I can get a good enough experience compared to the last time we went.

And you should beware the "more FP for us!" thinking, because if you get what you want and people don't take this up and spend more money because of it, Disney will be looking to recoup its investment somewhere.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-30-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #1538
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

I just listened to the D11 interview with Tom Staggs. Fascinating for the fact he said so little. If you have 28 minutes, it's worth watching.

He explained how great the magicband will be because it can personalize a ride...then admitted (under his breath) that they have not installed any personal experiences in the rides, but they could. So, that isn't really a benefit then?

He pretended to be very surprised and impressed by the fact that people in tests of FP+ are scheduling things like fireworks -- not just rides. Uhm, ...people are scheduling things Disney has picked out as possibilities, not organically choosing things out of their imagination. And in all likelihood without risk during testing of losing other FPs. If I could use traditional FP as I do now AND add fireworks viewing, I would too. That isn't going to be the choice (almost certainly).

Also, the media is now saying "six years in the making." I can see where the $1B comes from: functional allocation of money already spent on normal activity.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #1539
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
and in response to Mad Hattered and Stefne...

Of course, I'm generalizing. But of my friends who have kids under the age of 6, they all are waiting to take them to DisneyWorld. The only people who want to go to Universal are the husbands and some teenagers.

Does this mean that absolutely zero 60 year olds are at Universal? Of course not. Does this mean that zero 2 year olds like Universal? Of course not. And does this mean that no 40 year olds like reading Harry Potter? No, it doesn't.

What I think I am right about is, and someone articulated this earlier, that WDW has the ability to appeal to all generations at the same time...hence a FAMILY vacation. This is what Walt wanted. He didn't just want a screaming, roller-coaster amusement park!

My 65 year old parents live 1.5 hours away from WDW. I can promise you that they will NEVER go to Universal. They would have no interest in the coasters or thrill rides and won't be bothered to pay for those tickets. But do they go to Food and Wine every year?! Yes they do! Do they visit WDW every spring when my sister brings her family down? Yes they do. Someone please tell me why anyone over the age of 60 would be interested in Universal? No, seriously....anyone?

I would probably enjoy going to USF and IoA for two days. I doubt I would ever go back, though. Since I own DVC and have an AP, why would I spend all that money to leave WDW at all?
I used to LOVE Bob Marley and the Simpsons. No, I mean A LOT. From the time I was 16-25, easily these were my two favorite things. Has the inclusion of either of those at Universal gotten me there yet? Nope. It would be hundreds of dollars extra for me to get a cab, or rent a car, or stay over at their resorts, plus two days worth of tickets...and for what? A Simpson ride and a Marley cafe? No thanks.

I didn't read Harry Potter. And I don't think the next generation of tweens is going to get into it as much as this generation did. So it won't be the draw that it is today. Star Wars is exactly the opposite. Three movies were made in 1970s and 80s, capturing me in my youth and my parents in their prime. THEN, they released three more movies between 1999 and 2003 - capturing me in my prime, my parents for the nostalgia, and the new generation in their youth. NOW, they're going to release even more movies! I think you get my point. Star Wars was my favorite movie when I was 5 years old. It was my nephew favorite when he was 5. He is currently 9....

Harry Potter books were released from 1997-2007, and movies from 2001-2011. It captured pretty much the same generation over that 15 year span. (Honestly, they would have been smart to just start making the movies now, as it would have sparked an renewed interest in the books among younger people + all the original readers would want to see it.)

But Harry Potter is done. There are no more books, there are no more movies. The kids who read those books may or may not pass them down to their own kids. And again, I do not feel that some family 20 years from now is going to take their kids all the way to USF just for an attraction about a book that wouldn't have been relevant in 15 years!

But they will for Star Wars...
This is what I wanted to say but just didn't have the time to type all this. Great job !!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #1540
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
Also, the media is now saying "six years in the making."
At least. I believe the "testing" started with the Dream Fastpasses from the (Two-and-a-half) Year Of A Million Dreams promotion which started in 2006. Then in 2009 came the Birthday Fastpass option, followed by the nearly-identical Give A Disney Day Fastpass option, which started the tiered selections.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #1541
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
At least. I believe the "testing" started with the Dream Fastpasses from the (Two-and-a-half) Year Of A Million Dreams promotion which started in 2006. Then in 2009 came the Birthday Fastpass option, followed by the nearly-identical Give A Disney Day Fastpass option, which started the tiered selections.
I too believe that testing was a precursor to all of this.

But I don't think they've done a test yet where traditional FP was limited in any way to those participating in the test. It sounds to me like they are making assumptions that might not be indicative of how people will behave in real world execution. If I had the option of parade or fireworks viewing, I might have considered it. But ONLY if my other ride FP options remained unchanged. And while we don't know yet if there will be same-day FP options, I do think it's a safe assumption it will not be at all like the test (where you could continue to pull as many fastpasses for headliners as ever before.)
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #1542
darnheather
DIS Veteran

@MichiganDVC I can totally see my own children taking their kids to Universal to see Harry Potter, but that might be because I'm a Potter-head and have made them in my own image. Yes we're going to DW first but Universal will be our next big trip once the other half of Potter world is finished.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #1543
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I too believe that testing was a precursor to all of this.

But I don't think they've done a test yet where traditional FP was limited in any way to those participating in the test. It sounds to me like they are making assumptions that might not be indicative of how people will behave in real world execution. If I had the option of parade or fireworks viewing, I might have considered it. But ONLY if my other ride FP options remained unchanged. And while we don't know yet if there will be same-day FP options, I do think it's a safe assumption it will not be at all like the test (where you could continue to pull as many fastpasses for headliners as ever before.)
I believe there are a large number of guests who don't use much fp now because they don't do the big rides, real small kids or older guests, etc... Having a passive activity to spend there premium fp allotments on would likely be very popular in a group that does not get much benefit from the current system. I don't think it is meant to be a ride all of the biggest rides and get these cool other perks too. They are not trying to make life better for the uber planners.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #1544
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I believe there are a large number of guests who don't use much fp now because they don't do the big rides, real small kids or older guests, etc... Having a passive activity to spend there premium fp allotments on would likely be very popular in a group that does not get much benefit from the current system. I don't think it is meant to be a ride all of the biggest rides and get these cool other perks too. They are not trying to make life better for the uber planners.
No, but there are a LOT of people for whom Disney is about the rides. And they have not yet tested how those folks choose fastpasses when it's either/or. They can claim they tested it all they want. But they didn't.

They might have tested the system operationally. They might have tested whether some people have an interest in parade/fireworks fastpasses. But they have not tested the level of that interest when it's either/or. Maybe they couldn't find a way to test it operationally. Or maybe they didn't want to see how popular it was when other fastpass privileges were turned off. But they didn't test it.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #1545
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
No, but there are a LOT of people for whom Disney is about the rides. And they have not yet tested how those folks choose fastpasses when it's either/or. They can claim they tested it all they want. But they didn't.

They might have tested the system operationally. They might have tested whether some people have an interest in parade/fireworks fastpasses. But they have not tested the level of that interest when it's either/or. Maybe they couldn't find a way to test it operationally. Or maybe they didn't want to see how popular it was when other fastpass privileges were turned off. But they didn't test it.
I agree with your statement. However, just because they haven't tested it yet doesn't mean they haven't researched it. They have all those survey guys in the parks getting data on how people like to tour. They likely have tracked for years how many times a particular ticket pulls a fastpass on a particular day so they know how many most guests use.

The proposed three a day matches my personal touring style really well, I would certainly volunteer to test the new system at the exclusion of the other on my next trip in June. I would wager there are thousands of others who would too, particularly if it meant getting to fp attractions no one else can (like ETwB).

I am excited to see how the systems turns out and optimistic it will be a value add to our future vacations.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: