DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,695

When we bought, OKW BWV and VWL were available resale, and BCV was being sold, but was not yet completed. Because vwl was so new, the price premium on a resale was significant, and I'm frugal (although I do like the resort) we ended up at bwv without ever having been past the international gateway. We like it a lot. Like a lot of bwv and bcv owners, we are as much Epcot fans as anything, and the short walk to Epcot is wonderful.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
imapoohbear12
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 38

We never stayed at any. We wanted to go to Disney I didn't want to spend thousands and then buy dvc what a waste I could buy more
Point instead of doing that We bought 150 ssr for their low mf at only 60 pp Then I got addonitis and bought 30 more at bcv for 71 pp. both contracts were loaded with banked points we went 6 mts later
Never regretted not wasting money going to disney and then buying We bought 4/12
imapoohbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Lakeview
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9

Well, I need to chime in with the BLT owners. My family had stayed at the All Star Music (2007) and one off property stay (2004) before that. Then life changed with my wife's early passing. As a single father I needed to keep moving forward, and enjoy some of life with the kids ( now 12 and 8). Well after her passing I was thinking of an investment / vacation place for us. A co-worker years ago mentioned his recommendation because of his membership. After investigating a direct purchase with Disney I pull the trigger on a purchase of 160 BLT, 160 Aulani (2011 close, Dec UY, worked out to about $105 pp, and 160 bonus pts to use for BLT, oh and some fast passes too).

I did so because my first objective was Disney World and everyone I knew that had stayed at the Contemporary raved about the convenience. That was enough points for a studio off peak. I added the other 160 so I could add them in and book a peak week and somewhere down the road get to Hawaii.

With the bonus 160 BLT + few more points from my purchase, I did a AKV 12 day stay for my youngest daughters birthday. I used my remaining pts the following spring and did a Week after Easter (AKV). Then 4 day Xmas ( early dec SSR), then a school Feb holiday break (7 day), and Easter again (7 day) ( both BLT).

Now I'm not thrilled with the decor of BLT, but don't hate it either. Studio kitchen better than SSR or AKV. I love the location, and it has as much, if not more activity option as any other resort with the full dock on the lake. All of that said I'm rapping up a purchase of an additional 160 BLT ($85 Feb UY, all 13' and forward). This way I can do peak 11 months out. If not maybe I'll try the other resorts. The other reason is that I'm doing my first 2 BR unit this Nov with family.

14' trip might be Euro Disney ( France ) or Hawaii.

If you can't tell I'm loving it so far and I've only owned for almost 2 years.
Lakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,225

I am a total outlier because we had never even been to WDW when we bought. DH and DS has never been to Florida!

We loved DLR but did not want to own or stay at The Grand. I don't like the aesthetic of it enough. We knew we would love Wdw once we started going, so when Bay Lake came up, we leapt.

We were also in a position where we had to finance so resale was out, an one of what I feel were just a couple blind spots in my Dvc knowledge was the idea that I could have insisted on buying an older resort from Dvc. If I had realized that then OKW would have been a better choice, as we fell in love with it. In fact we still haven't stayed at Bay Lake and we bought in '09 and started going to Wdw in '10.

If a decision works for you in all the important ways then it works for you.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #35
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me
 
dsneygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: VWL and Ontario
Posts: 5,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Well, we had never stayed in one of the actual DVC properties. We've stayed on-site at almost every hotel over the years, but no, I never physically stayed in a DVC resort villa before we bought.



Since we've stayed at most of the hotels that DVC properties are located, we knew we loved the Beach Club environment. We love the pool, and I love the area of the Epcot resorts with the convenience it offers, and I just love being able to go across to the Boardwalk as well. So that was the deciding factor as well.

My next purchase will be BLT.
We had stayed at AK, WL, BC and BWI before we bought but never a villa. We bought VWL as my DH loves FW and the entire Bay Lake area. No regrets more than 20 trips later.
__________________
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)



dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #36
bigvig1130
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 112

I had already booked DCL for October of this year. My wife suggested we stay a few days prior to the cruise at AKL. After looking at the rack rates, I almost passed out. That's when I decided to look into DVC. Found a good resale contract for AKV and decided to go for it. I have an DD 11 who is a Disney lifer and a DS 9 months that has many fun.vacations.to.come in his life. I have never stayed in a DVC resort before but.I do know that Disney does have a high quality standard. Hence the premium price for all things Disney. Plus my whole family loves animals which is why we chose AKV.
bigvig1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
uconnfan4
Earning My Ears
 
uconnfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeview View Post
Well, I need to chime in with the BLT owners. My family had stayed at the All Star Music (2007) and one off property stay (2004) before that. Then life changed with my wife's early passing. As a single father I needed to keep moving forward, and enjoy some of life with the kids ( now 12 and 8). Well after her passing I was thinking of an investment / vacation place for us. A co-worker years ago mentioned his recommendation because of his membership. After investigating a direct purchase with Disney I pull the trigger on a purchase of 160 BLT, 160 Aulani (2011 close, Dec UY, worked out to about $105 pp, and 160 bonus pts to use for BLT, oh and some fast passes too).

I did so because my first objective was Disney World and everyone I knew that had stayed at the Contemporary raved about the convenience. That was enough points for a studio off peak. I added the other 160 so I could add them in and book a peak week and somewhere down the road get to Hawaii.

With the bonus 160 BLT + few more points from my purchase, I did a AKV 12 day stay for my youngest daughters birthday. I used my remaining pts the following spring and did a Week after Easter (AKV). Then 4 day Xmas ( early dec SSR), then a school Feb holiday break (7 day), and Easter again (7 day) ( both BLT).

Now I'm not thrilled with the decor of BLT, but don't hate it either. Studio kitchen better than SSR or AKV. I love the location, and it has as much, if not more activity option as any other resort with the full dock on the lake. All of that said I'm rapping up a purchase of an additional 160 BLT ($85 Feb UY, all 13' and forward). This way I can do peak 11 months out. If not maybe I'll try the other resorts. The other reason is that I'm doing my first 2 BR unit this Nov with family.

14' trip might be Euro Disney ( France ) or Hawaii.

If you can't tell I'm loving it so far and I've only owned for almost 2 years.
I am sorry to hear about your wife. Sounds like you have had many fun trips with your children and there are many more to come.

Also thank you very much to everyone for sharing their opinions about buying in and sharing some of the factors in their decision. I spoke with my husband and we are going to try to get over to see the Boardwalk area in July. I will be excited to see it!!
uconnfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
uconnfan4
Earning My Ears
 
uconnfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvig1130 View Post
I had already booked DCL for October of this year. My wife suggested we stay a few days prior to the cruise at AKL. After looking at the rack rates, I almost passed out. That's when I decided to look into DVC. Found a good resale contract for AKV and decided to go for it. I have an DD 11 who is a Disney lifer and a DS 9 months that has many fun.vacations.to.come in his life. I have never stayed in a DVC resort before but.I do know that Disney does have a high quality standard. Hence the premium price for all things Disney. Plus my whole family loves animals which is why we chose AKV.
I had the exact same feeling when I looked at some of the room rates. I thought that if I just took the money I would spend on one of the villas for a week as a hotel and put it toward a smaller contract it seemed that it would cover about a third of some of the contracts!!! It really seems to make sense since I know that we will be going again and again.
uconnfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #39
ffcheff
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 144

I purchased at BLT without ever staying in a dvc property. Then bought an AKL contract resale without seeing that resort. The AKL contract was the right use year and what I could afford to spend. It also gave me the most years until expiration. I do not regret either purchase and I like both resorts. Also two bathrooms for a family of 5 in a one bedroom is worth its weight in gold.
ffcheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #40
Kimmielee
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was thereUncle Larry can do anything!
 
Kimmielee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,834

We had been gifted short stays in AKV for my son's birthday and BWV (for our honeymoon). When we decided to buy we didn't know to ask if there was availability at an older resort and SSR was being sold heavily at the time. We love BCV and OKW - BCV for the pool and OKW because a studio has two queens and is a bit larger than most studios.

There isn't a "BAD" DVC resort in our opinion... we are happy to stay in any of them!!!
__________________
Kimmie Gary NoahShafty Belle Rajah











Kimmielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #41
wbl2745
I've gone over to the Silly Symphony Swings to "spin dry."
 
wbl2745's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Provo, Utah
Posts: 581

We purchased at VGC (DLR in California) and had never stayed at DVC accommodations. We had stayed at all of the hotels at the Disneyland Resort as well as the Polynesian, Dixie Landings (can't remember its current name), and Pop Century. We had always had good experiences at the hotels and we trusted the Disney brand.
__________________

DVC Member since February 24, 2010
wbl2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
rg35
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24

We purchased AKL never having stayed there.

I had stayed at OKW a few times previously, so I was generally familiar with the DVC villa layout though.

I think there's enough information online to make an extremely informed decision without having to stay at a resort, although some people may have more peace of mind by staying at a place first. I think it really depends on your disposition and personality.
rg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #43
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg35 View Post
We purchased AKL never having stayed there.

I had stayed at OKW a few times previously, so I was generally familiar with the DVC villa layout though.

I think there's enough information online to make an extremely informed decision without having to stay at a resort, although some people may have more peace of mind by staying at a place first. I think it really depends on your disposition and personality.
OKW is very different from the other resorts both room layout and resort layout.

I still feel that the best advice for a potential buyer is to buy where you love to stay and take the time to stay before you buy.

The fact that many owners bought without staying first doesn't change that advice. It's great that many report that they are happy and didn't stay first but why would anyone try to convince others to do the same.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.