DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

Larger VWL Price per Point

I am wondering if I'm out of touch, but there is a larger VWL contract for sale right now where the sellers are asking $77/point (and wouldn't go below $75 through negotiations) for 442 points. In looking at the ROFR threads, the larger the contract, the lower price per point, right?! I'm not even seeing any smaller contracts that go for $75/point. Is it a simple case of wishful thinking for the seller, or am I out of touch?

Last edited by mvndvm; 05-28-2013 at 10:59 AM.
mvndvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvndvm View Post
I am wondering if I'm out of touch, but there is a larger VWL contract for sale right now where the sellers are asking $77/point (and wouldn't go below $75 through negotiations) for 442 points. In looking at the ROFR threads, the larger the contract, the lower price per point, right?! I'm not even seeing any smaller contracts that go for $75/point. Is it a simple case of wishful thinking for the seller, or am I out of touch?
That seller may have a loan they need to pay off and so they won't go lower than a certain price (or else they would have to bring money to closing). Just a theory.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If I was a seller and in no hurry and there wasn't a lot of supply of other contracts, then I would price the contract as high as possible (say around 60-70% of direct prices for the same resort). After all it only takes one buyer to want to own at that resort to purchase the contract.

Looking at prices from a year ago is meaningless now. Today any seller at a small popular resort with limited supply of resale contracts can easily get a premium rate for their contract.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
agie65
New Disney Fan

Quote:
If you are not comfortable with high price just wait, seller may come down if no buyer for higher then your bidding price. Yes it is a big contract no matter what resort you look at.
agie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Nabas
Mouseketeer

I count only about a dozen VWL contracts currently available with median asking price in the mid $80s per point.

Available inventory is extremely tight at VWL, BCV, and BWV. It's very much a seller's market right now.

At $75/point, you're getting a discount in today's market.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
I count only about a dozen VWL contracts currently available with median asking price in the mid $80s per point.

Available inventory is extremely tight at VWL, BCV, and BWV. It's very much a seller's market right now.

At $75/point, you're getting a discount in today's market.
But just because it's a seller's market doesn't mean that OP should pay that kind of price for a really big contract. Big contracts are hard enough to unload, that paying a high price for them all but ensures taking a loss if they ever have to sell. Patience is key when buying resale. Don't feed into the frenzy if you don't have to.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

OK, here comes the, "Yeah, but..."

When looking at the ROFR thread, the last 3 to pass (that were posted) were 150 points for $57/pt on 4/2/13, 100 points for $61/pt on 4/22, and 75 points for $70/pt passed on 4/15. There was one on 3/6/13 for 240 points at $60/pt.

Granted that the market favors the seller right now, it doesn't favor them so much to the point of being overpriced. I really want to buy a larger VWL contract, am ready financially, but don't want to be taken advantage of. I just wanted to know I wasn't dreaming thinking that this contract should be in the lower $60's at the least!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
AJA
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this is a fact but it seems prices are higher in the early summer. If price is important then wait until the winter months. At least by then we'll know if this is just an inflated bubble or if the days of the great deals and overall buyers market are gone for a while.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
G'sMaman
Mouseketeer

Looks like prices have been inching up due to high demand. Not sure if this is helpful info or not since there's such a big difference in the contract size, but we just heard last week that Disney ROFR'd our $70, 150 pt. VWL contract. There were 118 points for 2013 and all points going forward.

Have you looked at the most recent ROFR update? It's on page 161. Here's what VWL has been going for most recently:

suyama---220 VWL (Dec), $63, 39 '12 points and all forward, (sub 4/4, passed 4/30)
Pirate Granny---150 VWL (Dec), $70, 50 '12 points and all forward, buyer pays mf and closing (sub 4/4, passed 4/30)
Z28wiz---28 WL (AUG), $87, 53 '12 points and all forward, buyer pays closing, 2013 mf and admin fee (Sub 4/30, passed 5/28)

Good luck on your decision!

G'sMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

There is a great site at *************** that basically scraps listing data from the major DVC resellers. Go take a look there. It is showing 8 VWL listing ranging in price from $75 to $110.

Figure out what you can afford to spend and how long you are willing to wait to get that price. Let listing adgents know what you want so they can/might call you when they get something in your price range. Good luck.

Last edited by DougEMG; 05-28-2013 at 03:20 PM.
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

OK, I really hope that no one is offended by this.... BUT.... here goes...

If you want it, and they have it - you're going to have to pay what they are asking... IF YOU WANT IT!

Remember..... they have it.... you want it.

It is that simple.

It doesn't matter if they have 1,000 points at $99 a point.

THEY OWN THE CONTRACT!

If you want THAT contract, you pay what they are asking.

Remove ROFR from the scenario - if you want the contract, the seller's asking price doesn't matter one red cent!

If you want it... you will pay what they are asking.... have I driven home that point enough?

I just laugh and shake my head when I read threads like this - who cares if you think the seller is asking too much!? You don't own the contract, they do!

Just because the sales data is collected via different sites/users and posted online for public consumption... it only says what happened to previous contracts, and while it CAN be a tool to gauge what the 'MARKET PRICE' is for a particular resort, it isn't a rule that says.... THIS $$$ Is what sellers should ask.... and THIS $$ is what buyers should offer!

Every contract that is posted for sale via any resale broker has a story - every seller has a story, and every buyer has a story. Each and every one is different.

The seller may not actually WANT to sell the contract - but perhaps they have to due to a financial situation, and they NEED more then what the 'market' dictates.

It doesn't matter if they are selling 25 points, or 2,500 points - the property is theirs to sell, at the price they want it to be sold!

There is no rule that dictates that contracts smaller than 100 points MUST sell for more than contracts over 101 points.

EVERY contract is different. You REALLY cannot over generalize and try to apply averages when someone owns something that you want to buy.

If you in fact don't want to pay what the owner is asking.... WALK AWAY!

Say THANKS, but NO Thanks!

Don't bug the seller to come down to your price..... refer to the rule I previously mentioned....

They own it.... you want it..... either pay what they want, or find another contract!

So what if the contract is 400+ points.......?

If they can sell it for their asking price, they are inf act doing BOTH of you a favor - you won't feel like you paid too much, and they won't feel like they didn't get out of their points that they though that they were worth!

If you want THAT contract, and they won't accept the offer that is your 'top' dollar offer.... then the contract simply isn't for you.

Once again, I don't want to offend anyone.... but sometimes things on here are just flat out ridiculous! There has to be a logical discussion at the root of the issue, and hopefully this logic is broad and widely understood.

If a contract is out of your budget by more than 20% then don't be offended when the seller comes back with a counteroffer $884 less than their asking price.

I consider $884 to be a decent chunk of change.

We have bought two resale contracts, and offered below the asking price both times. The first time, they made a counter - and that was what we had imagined it would be, so we bought. It fit our budget.

The second time we offered WELL below the asking price, they came back with a counter of $1.85 more per point than we offered. We accepted gladly!

Both deals were deals for both parties.... we wanted what they owned, we negotiated, we agreed, we bought what we wanted, and they sold it for a price that they felt was best for them!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpwv View Post
OK, I really hope that no one is offended by this.... BUT.... here goes...

If you want it, and they have it - you're going to have to pay what they are asking... IF YOU WANT IT!

Remember..... they have it.... you want it.

It is that simple.

It doesn't matter if they have 1,000 points at $99 a point.

THEY OWN THE CONTRACT!

If you want THAT contract, you pay what they are asking.

Remove ROFR from the scenario - if you want the contract, the seller's asking price doesn't matter one red cent!

If you want it... you will pay what they are asking.... have I driven home that point enough?

I just laugh and shake my head when I read threads like this - who cares if you think the seller is asking too much!? You don't own the contract, they do!

Just because the sales data is collected via different sites/users and posted online for public consumption... it only says what happened to previous contracts, and while it CAN be a tool to gauge what the 'MARKET PRICE' is for a particular resort, it isn't a rule that says.... THIS $$$ Is what sellers should ask.... and THIS $$ is what buyers should offer!

Every contract that is posted for sale via any resale broker has a story - every seller has a story, and every buyer has a story. Each and every one is different.

The seller may not actually WANT to sell the contract - but perhaps they have to due to a financial situation, and they NEED more then what the 'market' dictates.

It doesn't matter if they are selling 25 points, or 2,500 points - the property is theirs to sell, at the price they want it to be sold!

There is no rule that dictates that contracts smaller than 100 points MUST sell for more than contracts over 101 points.

EVERY contract is different. You REALLY cannot over generalize and try to apply averages when someone owns something that you want to buy.

If you in fact don't want to pay what the owner is asking.... WALK AWAY!

Say THANKS, but NO Thanks!

Don't bug the seller to come down to your price..... refer to the rule I previously mentioned....

They own it.... you want it..... either pay what they want, or find another contract!

So what if the contract is 400+ points.......?

If they can sell it for their asking price, they are inf act doing BOTH of you a favor - you won't feel like you paid too much, and they won't feel like they didn't get out of their points that they though that they were worth!

If you want THAT contract, and they won't accept the offer that is your 'top' dollar offer.... then the contract simply isn't for you.

Once again, I don't want to offend anyone.... but sometimes things on here are just flat out ridiculous! There has to be a logical discussion at the root of the issue, and hopefully this logic is broad and widely understood.

If a contract is out of your budget by more than 20% then don't be offended when the seller comes back with a counteroffer $884 less than their asking price.

I consider $884 to be a decent chunk of change.

We have bought two resale contracts, and offered below the asking price both times. The first time, they made a counter - and that was what we had imagined it would be, so we bought. It fit our budget.

The second time we offered WELL below the asking price, they came back with a counter of $1.85 more per point than we offered. We accepted gladly!

Both deals were deals for both parties.... we wanted what they owned, we negotiated, we agreed, we bought what we wanted, and they sold it for a price that they felt was best for them!
No offense taken, but you do overgeneralize, drastically. Same can be said with housing, cars, businesses, etc. Unless the seller is realistic in market value, you will not get it sold without making price adjustments (unless there is a sucker who just wants to pay whatever price the seller is asking). You imply not to negotiate, even making insulting references, only to turn around and say that you negotiated! I'm well versed in DVC intricacies, so I know what I want and what I want to pay for it, but this was my first negotiation, and was surprised at how it went. I'm guessing the sellers saw the offer as their first before it was listed, and figured they can hold out for more. Time will tell...
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

I wasn't referring to negotiation, I was referring to questioning a seller's motivation to sell at a specific price.

You never know what a seller's bottom line might be until you make an offer, but if you aren't happy with their counter - walk away.

It is the owner's decision to sell at their own price.

There aren't many sellers that aren't willing to move a little on their price - but there aren't many buyers that are willing to move theirs!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, here comes the, "Yeah, but..."

When looking at the ROFR thread, the last 3 to pass (that were posted) were 150 points for $57/pt on 4/2/13, 100 points for $61/pt on 4/22, and 75 points for $70/pt passed on 4/15. There was one on 3/6/13 for 240 points at $60/pt.

Granted that the market favors the seller right now, it doesn't favor them so much to the point of being overpriced. I really want to buy a larger VWL contract, am ready financially, but don't want to be taken advantage of. I just wanted to know I wasn't dreaming thinking that this contract should be in the lower $60's at the least!
I had an offer excepted at BWV for 55.00PP current points larger contract 3/5 Disney took it by the time they took it prices went up next contract that was excepted was for 65.00PP that was in mid April Disney took that, now I am looking and all BWV contracts are priced 78.00 and up a lot closer to 85.00PP this is all within the last 3 months! A broker told me today that disney just took a BWV at 72.00PP. Just when we thought the 70's were safe. Supply and demand! Do what is right for you. Good luck

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
mvndvm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpwv View Post
I wasn't referring to negotiation, I was referring to questioning a seller's motivation to sell at a specific price.

You never know what a seller's bottom line might be until you make an offer, but if you aren't happy with their counter - walk away.

It is the owner's decision to sell at their own price.

There aren't many sellers that aren't willing to move a little on their price - but there aren't many buyers that are willing to move theirs!
Point taken, and that's what I did...walked away. Waiting for the right one at the right price.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: