Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Why does Touring Plans say MK is best park on Memorial day ?

I have been reading post on here about Memorial day and they all say to avoid Magic Kingdom on Memorial day . Touring plans has it listed as best park ? I have noticed touring plans crowd numbers are 4,s , 5's, and 6,s after Memorial day and easywdw has it as 7's during those days. I know in the past easywdw crowd predictions have been more accurate for us but I was hoping touring plans were this time
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
kittyninja
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy!

I'm going to say it's because the park will be open for the 24 hour thing the Friday before...so everyone will be MK'd out!! lol

I'm inclined to think the same thing!

Just a warning though to anyone I'm pretty sure the 24 hour event will be crowded!! From what I've read here the Leap Day thing was nuts!!

2000--First Disney Trip * 2007--Christmas in the World (if mom doesn't put up the tree!) * 2009--Visiting my CP sis! * 2010--Harry Potter has come to US *
May 2011--Graduation trip, IOA and DW * November 2011--Celebration of the 7 HP movies, "Did I just hug a Weasley twin?!" *
* 2012--1 Year Anniversary Trip with my HPBF, IOA * 2013--Graduation/Christmas Trip, Nana and Her Princesses * 2014--Show Your Disney Side, Universal, and Bubba Gump Shrimp!! *

kittyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
baler31
DIS Veteran

I don't know your dates but if you are looking for lower crowds I would pick Sat. before Memorial Day. It is the day after 24 hr day and crowds should be lower than usual. Holidays are always crowded at MK.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
quietgirl
Earning My Ears

If you look back at their past years they make a mention about how while it makes them a little ill to suggest it there has been a pattern of the actual holiday mk being the least crowded day for that weekend (meaning compared to Sat/Sun . Doesn't mean it is not crowded just less crowded. And as others have said the whole 24hour deal on friday probably factors in as well plus I believe that tp has mk with extra hours Sunday night
quietgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
cvjw
DIS Veteran

One of the reasons that we no longer subscribe to Touring Plans is that they always changed their numbers right before our trips - after we had made all of our plans on the numbers they had posted for months beforehand. Those low numbers will probably jump in the next few weeks - I wouldn't plan on those staying. We visit Disney during the last week of May and first week of June every year, and we never have 4's and 5's - it is always more in the 6 - 8 range (and higher some days). Crowded but manageable.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

We are going both Saturday (5/25) and Memorial Day so I am hoping they are right! I usually follow Josh's recommendations but this is a condensed trip and between the 24-hour party and the Star Wars weekend we just couldn't figure out how to change things around to avoid MK on Monday. And we have dessert party tickets now so we're committed. LOL
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
adamsbrla
Earning My Ears

You may want to check touringplans again, they have MK as an 8 on Memorial day, and a 10 overall. They bumped the predictions up about 2 weeks ago.

Having said that, my assumption is that with the 24 hour event on Friday, and evening EMH at MK on Sunday night lasting until 2 am, there's a good chance a lot of people will have gotten their fill of MK before Monday. I was hoping they would explain their reasoning in a blog post, but I haven't seen one yet.

Even Josh has slightly changed his wording on his crowd prediction. 3 months ago or so he was saying to definitely avoid MK on Monday as it would be the busiest of the entire week. Now while he still has it as a park to avoid, he concedes it probably won't be any busier than the rest of the week, and a rope drop scenario should allow for a decent time in the morning.
adamsbrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Thanks all
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
shell8558
DIS Veteran

We have been to disney the past seven years over Memorial Day week . I would highly recommend staying away from mk on Monday . It is always miserably crowded . We find it much better at Epcot ! Good luck !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: