Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #376
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Love that burger!

And what a great 007 display and theme for the meet. Looks like you're having a great time with food and cocktail hour.
It was nice to have a burger like that, since it had been quite a while. They did a good job on the theming and decorating for this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Love the 007 theme! I'm a James Bond nut! Someday an Aston Martin will be mine! (after I win Powerball)

My heart just hurts for the couple that lost their Fairlane. Mental note to add a fire extinguisher to the Mustang's trunk.

I think the fact that you are being mindful of what you are eating is a great step! Keep it up!

Jill in CO
I'm glad you're a James Bond nut, you can help me out with some costumes and other things that I didn't quite get!

The sad thing is that they DID have a fire extinguisher, and it still didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Love James Bond too Jill.

Looks like a fun event and neat that you got martini glasses.

That burger looks delicious. As does the soup. Do you only live thrice? You're tracking and that's what matters. A lot of my days are over or under; I'm rarely right on. Being mindful is key.
Well, I sure better get back on track, at least I did some walking. I need to log in and catalog my food and exercise. I don't think it will look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
oh too bad about those cars may be a blessing you DID leave yours home
I'm thinking that it was a blessing. We just need to make sure we have several cars in working order. That way we will have a back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
So sorry to hear about the other cars, and again glad you both decided not to chance it.

Glad you enjoyed Happy Hour and met some new people, that is half the fun!

Enjoy your day.
I know the poor guys. There were some other people who had to bail on their classics at the last moment. Only one tragedy, and the guy who broke down. Most other folks were like us, had to leave them in the garage. Luckily enough people did make it with their cars that it was a great show.

Boy did we enjoy happy hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
What a great trip you're having

Such a shame about those cars though

I'm by no means a car expert but myself and DH attended the Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernandino (I think that's what it was called) last September and loved it!
It's been very fun. I haven't heard of the Route 66 Rendezvous, but there are so many events going on, it's hard to keep track of them all.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #377
franandaj

We woke up earlier Friday morning, but didnít get out of bed at the agreed upon time. It was still OK, we got down to breakfast before 8:30AM which seems to be the magic time. As soon as 8:30 hit, there was a long line at the omelet station. Luckily we already had our breakfast. I ordered us some eggs over easy while Fran fetched us toast and bacon. They also gave me bacon and sausage with the eggs.

She had also grabbed a bowl of fruit. Then I went back and got us each a piece of toast and some more sausages.

So much for my diet today!

We spent about half an hour in the room before we went downstairs to meet up for the Cruise. Otherwise known as, ďYou Only Drive TwiceĒ. There were already some nice cars in the parking lot.

Our registration included a box lunch which we picked up on our way to our cars. This morning we were pleased to run into a friend that we know from Band. He is a member of the San Francisco band, and didnít know we had joined the car club. We had a nice chat with him while we waited to start the drive.

Everyone was given a sheet with turn by turn directions on it, the drive was about 35 miles long and we were told it would take about an hour. Shortly before 11:00 we were on our way. There was a little bit of driving through the city involved before we got to the country side. Some of the first people to start got way ahead of us while we were stopped at a light. Eventually we caught up to some of the cars who kept a leisurely pace so that others could join in behind us.

This field of blooming yellow flowers was very pretty, the pictures donít do it justice.

This was our caravan that we followed most of the way. Eventually the white Mercedes got fed up and passed the Thunderbird.

We passed quaint little wine tasting shops along the way.

And the vineyards where their wine grows.

We briefly drove through Pismo & Grover Beach, this was about as close to the ocean as we got on this drive.

Then we passed through Arroyo Grande which was a quaint little town. The pictures I got were not of the cute little buildings, but you sort of get the idea.

Then we were back out in wine country again.

You can sort of see the caravan behind us.

We drove through the chaparral

This was about the last time that we saw these three cars in front of us because right after I took this shot, the first two cars missed the turn. All of a sudden the gray car became the leader of the pack!

We were almost at the end of our drive anyways, so it was probably less than two miles until we reached our destination. They had reserved a picnic area at a local park for us. There was plenty of seating and they had cold water and lemonade. I forgot to bring my camera down to the picnic area because I was so worried about finding us a seat in the shade and for Fran to walk all the way down to the picnic location.

We sat with our friend from SF at lunch and also met some new friends. Jon was a hoot! We had a great time chatting with him and I think weíre now friends for life. He told us all kinds of stories about things that happened in the 80s. Youíll see a picture of him later from the Happy Hour.

These were pretty much lunch with another half of a sandwich, fresh fruit cup, and a cookie.

After lunch we were both pretty tired and decided that we wanted to head back to the room and take a nap. Now for me to want to take a nap is pretty drastic. We got back and our room hadnít been cleaned yet. Being DVC, it really doesnít bother me that much not to have daily housekeeping, so we just put up the Do Not Disturb sign and went to sleep. I must have been tired, because I DID sleep for over an hour.

Feeling refreshed, we dressed for dinner and went down to enjoy the Happy Hour.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #378
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

What a shame about the two cars that had such bad luck. I hope that the one that has broken down can be fit. The theme looks a lot of fun and the scenery on that drive is just stunning.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #379
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Sounds like your enjoying your weekend!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #380
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Those back roads look amazing; the kind of scenery I'd love to see when driving. Sounds like you're having a great time with 3D life.

And you must have been tired out....if you're having a nap.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #381
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

yes the back roads, I would be going back there again to check it all out see if the vineyards had tours lovely my sister lives very near here http://www.jamesportwines.com/ we used to love going especially in the fall
Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #382
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
What a shame about the two cars that had such bad luck. I hope that the one that has broken down can be fit. The theme looks a lot of fun and the scenery on that drive is just stunning.

Corinna
We spoke to the guy who owned the one that broke down in Buellton. He said that he even has the part to fix his car at home, but that is in So Cal. I'm sure his car can be fixed, but the other guys were just going to walk away. Very sad. I'm glad we didn't chance it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Those back roads look amazing; the kind of scenery I'd love to see when driving. Sounds like you're having a great time with 3D life.

And you must have been tired out....if you're having a nap.
They come up with some nice scenic drives, although what was a little disappointing was that they said it was mix of inland and coastal. We didn't see any actual coastal. However, the inland was very nice and relaxing we enjoyed it.

I was tired! There have only been a handful of occasions where I have taken naps, other than when I have been ill. This was one of a rare few!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
yes the back roads, I would be going back there again to check it all out see if the vineyards had tours lovely my sister lives very near here http://www.jamesportwines.com/ we used to love going especially in the fall
Someday we will go to New York and check out the wineries there. I'm sure it's a lovely place!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #383
franandaj

As we descended to the lobby, here are few shots of the crowd who has gathered for the Happy Hour

Iím not sure if you can see the banners which appeared today as well. There are two in the middle for Pu**y Galoreís Flying School. There was a Drax Industries and a Spectre Octopus, there are a couple others, but we didnít get that far in the episodes that we watched so I didnít recognize them. I still want to finish all the episodes someday!

They had set up a second bar tonight which was smart. I spent a lot of time in line last night, there were still lines, but not as bad. They were offering these two themed cocktails, but I just stuck with wine and Fran her margarita, rocks, salt.

As we perused the various spectacles, we ran across this gentleman. If you donít know, he is a Lincoln Continental, post murder, post crusher. We DID see that one!

And if youíve seen GoldfingerÖ

This man fancied himself Pu**y Galore, Goldfingers (alleged) lesbian pilot.

Iím not sure which Russian Villain we have here, but Iím sure he is someone.

And our friend Jon that we met at lunch. He didnít watch any of the Bond movies, but he found those Yoyos at the Dollar Tree in the parking lot and turned them into earrings! Brilliant!

Iím not sure what Villain he is playing, we didnít get that far, but the hook for a hand Iím sure gives it away, Jill?

After the cocktail hour was over, we noticed everyone migrating towards the Ballroom area where the meal would be served. Based on the color of the string on your lanyard, you were allowed in to take a seat. We were in the second group (following the VIPs who organized the event), and found a table with some nice folks from the San Francisco Chapter.

They had video screens set up at each end of the room so that we could easily see what was going on.

I found this salad inedible due to the overwhelming flavor of cilantro.

The chicken was quite good. I couldnít finish it all and unfortunately they wonít give you a doggie bag. Everything was good, but I imagine if I ate the whole plate there must have been about 2000 calories on that plate alone!

Luckily dessert was snack sized. Although Iím sure it packed a ton of calories too, it was a Bananas Foster Tart.

After dinner they played a game show. Youíll be showing your age if you know this show.

They played a clip from the real show when Sean Connery was on it and it was hilarious! Then we went to the live version. A couple of the car club members played the celebrities which were all characters from the Bond movies.

The panel quizzed each one of them.

This last one was supposedly Pu**y Galore.

After this the show was over. They had a leather party going on and I peeked into the room. If you have never experienced a gay leather party, I canít help you. I looked into the room and could tell that some naughty stuff was probably going to go on in there, but I was tired and ready to go to bed, so we headed back to our room and called it a night.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #384
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great event. Love the James Bond references....naughty and nice.

Food looks great. Sorry you didn't like the cilantro.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #385
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Wow another great update! I love this! I feel like we can all travel with you it's wonderful. Now why aren't you and Fran dressed as M with one of your cats on your lap lol.

That hotel is really nice! Love the lobby! All the effort that the people organising this event have gone to is amazing. How does it get funded it? Do you buy a ticket or does it come from membership? I am so impressed! I love the James Bond theme. I should be ashamed of myself being British but I must confess to not having seen all the films. I loved the new film. Judi Dench is brill as M!

Hope today is fun. I just love this trip report we have nothing like this in the UK. I don't even know what a chapter is. But am guessing it's a club that you belong to?

Lovely photos I like the one of the two of you at the table cutey couple :-)

Very excited about meeting you. I give Jo an update on your trip verbally every night when she gets home every night from work she loves it!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #386
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

I would have tried the drinks... I drink old fashions all the time, one of my go to drinks... But the other would have been worth a try!

I think I need that software that converts speech to text, so I could recite everything I wanted to tell and that would be easier than typing everything up. I always forget too much, you are doing a wonderful job!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #387
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

That would be Ernst Blofeld who heads the evil SPECTRE.

Jill in CO
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #388
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
I would have tried the drinks... I drink old fashions all the time, one of my go to drinks... But the other would have been worth a try!

I think I need that software that converts speech to text, so I could recite everything I wanted to tell and that would be easier than typing everything up. I always forget too much, you are doing a wonderful job!
I was wondering what an 'old fashioned' was. Don Draper in the Mad Men series we were watching the other night made one. Now I know! :-)
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #389
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
I was wondering what an 'old fashioned' was. Don Draper in the Mad Men series we were watching the other night made one. Now I know! :-)
the better the bourbon the better the drink. You know sometimes there is enough other stuff in a drink to cover up the flavor, no true in an old fashion, you have to start with good bourbon.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #390
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:

the better the bourbon the better the drink. You know sometimes there is enough other stuff in a drink to cover up the flavor, no true in an old fashion, you have to start with good bourbon.
Sounds sensible. Like cooking right? If seabass is your base ingredient get a decent piece of Seabass. Don't try to disguise it with loads of spices etc. just enhance it a little kind of showing it off. if it's good and cooked well it doesn't actually need much. I get it. Bourbon is your core ingredient :-)

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: