Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #271
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I wish you the best of luck for the hearing.

Your first day sounds amazing. I am with Fran on the strawberry soup. I have never had it at WDW, but love it on DCL. I have to admit Victoria and Albert's scares me.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #272
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

The strawberry soup at 1900 blows dcl's away. It actually tastes like FRESH strawberries and cream and not watered down strawberries and mint. I actually got the recipe from them....
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #273
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

The table setting is elegant

And of course you know about the food!

My only concern is getting home. Our reservation is for 8:45PM, dinner normally lasts about 3 hours. The MK has EMH until 11:00PM and from what I have read the boats run for an hour and a half after park closing. Theoretically we could catch the Monorail to the MK and the boat back to the VWL, but I suspect that we will be so tired and in a food coma that we will just get a cab to take us home.

Im imagining that this will be a magical day with some wonderful food and some great company. Plus we will ride some fun rides that I have not been on in quite some time. It should be a very fun day![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Of course it will me a magical day, Alison. I smiled and sighed just reading about it.

I was going to say take the cab but that boat ride is so lovely at night.

What an experience. V&As. One day. It's not really the fine dining as such that entices me the most, even though I know I would love the atmosphere, I'm just so curious about the cuisine - to experience it. And I'm the perfect person to do so because I don't think that there is much that I dislike in taste.

Translation: I LOVE FOOD. Can't wait to hear Alison.

Great update and thanks for the pictures of the house. Crossing my fingers for you.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 07-07-2013 at 09:01 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #274
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Nice find on the pot!

Looks like a fantastic day. I would just grab the cab after V&A. I'm usually "done" after V&A (and a little tipsy! ) and its so much easier and faster to just grab the cab and get back to the room.

Jill in CO
I'm thinking that's the wise idea. The first time, I'm pretty sure we cabbed back to the WL, the second time we were staying at GF, the third time Fran drove us back to the AKV. I think cabbing it will be the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Just in! Got a lot of catching up to do! Love the photos! Can't wait to read it all :-)
Take your time, it's a while until both of our trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
I would just get the cab... No use stressing after Suharto a wonderful meal!

Great pot! I need something like that
I'm thinking that...I hope Fran will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Please make it a double.

Thanks Alison. I took a weekend off from looking after said parents and all he!! broke loose!

My mom is declining rapidly at this point but I recently found out, through the dwindling boundaries of dementia, that I was named after a soap opera character who was married ten times. BONUS. For my mother to do this it's like finding out she has another family somewhere - so out of character I can't even begin. My siblings are D, D, D and me! My mother always, all these years, claimed that she ran out of D names with extended family. I always added that YOU MAKE NO SENSE.

No crazy crazy CRAZY weekend. Men. Chilean ska. Mexican Electronica. 3 AM ganga smells from my terrace. Sexual comments I actually needed to google. Things of that nature.

I'm so gone.

Haven't even caught up yet.
Oh Lisa. I watched Fran witness her parents both go downhill. It was stressful on both of us, so I know how you're feeling. I'm not sure if your mom is still at home, but it's so stressful when they are in a nursing facility. My MIL thought that they kept bringing her to the morgue and all the people in the beds around her were dead bodies. That was just one of her scenarios. Hang in there!

The part about sexual comments you had to google! I hope that the folks were not on your personal terrace. Otherwise, you need a better bouncer at your parties.

Quote:
^^^ oh my.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Here's some pixie dust for a smooth hearing this week. I was chuckling when I noticed the addition is larger then the house I'm in.

Nice score on the pot! Also, another vote for a cab for before and after V & A.
Thanks! What can I say? We are spoiled and have WAY too much stuff! The place is only three bedrooms as it is right now. I think the addition will double the size.

Seems like cabbing it to V&A's is the unanimous choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I wish you the best of luck for the hearing.

Your first day sounds amazing. I am with Fran on the strawberry soup. I have never had it at WDW, but love it on DCL. I have to admit Victoria and Albert's scares me.

Corinna
Thank you, this time tomorrow we will really be sweating it as the hearing will be less than an hour away.

I can understand being scared by V&A's but they are very good about not serving you anything you don't like. They take a complete list of what you will and won't eat and cater your menu. Graham would be offered a completely different menu that yours. It's a nicer than Palo, but very similar in class and elegance.

Quote:
The strawberry soup at 1900 blows dcl's away. It actually tastes like FRESH strawberries and cream and not watered down strawberries and mint. I actually got the recipe from them....
I do have to say that I prefer 1900's strawberry soup to DCL as well, though I enjoy both. The reason it tastes like fresh strawberries and cream is because that's what they make it with, A LOT of cream and sour cream. There are both frozen and fresh strawberries in 1900's soup. I would hate to take a calorie count. I have a version of strawberry soup that is made with vanilla yogurt, strawberries and lemon juice. Not as good, but something you can eat every week and not feel guilty.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #275
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Cab will probably be the best way for that late at night! I'm wishing we had cabbed it when we were at Narcoossee's this 4th of July but thats because parking at GF can be a nightmare, especially on a holiday.

Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #276
TifffanyD
I need to reload

If you share your recipe I'll share mine...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #277
franandaj

Quote:
Of course it will me a magical day, Alison. I smiled and sighed just reading about it.

I was going to say take the cab but that boat ride is so lovely at night.

What an experience. V&As. One day. It's not really the fine dining as such, even though I know I would love the atmosphere, I'm just so curious about the cuisine - to experience it. And I'm the perfect person to do so because I don't think that there is much that I dislike in taste.

Translation: I LOVE FOOD. Can't wait to hear Alison.

Great update and thanks for the pictures of the house. Crossing my fingers for you.
Lisa,

You snuck in while I was writing the responses. We'll have to see how tipsy we are after the wine pairings, the boat would be nice and I don't think it will be cold yet, it's still September.

V&A's really is fine dining, at least for a lot of Florida. I'm sure that Toronto, New York, LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas have restaurants that could blow it out of the water, but it is a very nice place with very elegant food. Chef Hunnel does a great job to find unique ingredients and build interesting flavors.

Some day, I'll make you dinner Lisa!

Thanks for the good wishes on the house! I really hope it works out. We've been looking at places to buy and there is just nothing suitable for us. We need this house to work out!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #278
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I can understand being scared by V&A's but they are very good about not serving you anything you don't like. They take a complete list of what you will and won't eat and cater your menu. Graham would be offered a completely different menu that yours. It's a nicer than Palo, but very similar in class and elegance.

Let me tag onto Alison's response. Try to go into V&A with an open mind and try things you think you don't like. You may surprise yourself with actually liking something you thought you hated! I decided on my first trip that I would try anything because I know that V&A would cook it correctly and if I still didn't like it after that, I was free to hate it forever. There are some dishes I've loved more than others but I've never had anything I hated...there is plenty of food over the course of dinner so you won't starve.

Just my 2 cents.

Jill in CO
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #279
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Love the pot, Alison! I was thinking along the same line.... we might need to get a microwaveable container for the rice and I was going to check out Walmart or Target when I was in the US.

The food at 1900 looks fantastic. That strawberry soup is something that I want to try someday! I suspect that I'm going to have to make it myself at home.

Quote:
My mom is declining rapidly at this point but I recently found out, through the dwindling boundaries of dementia, that I was named after a soap opera character who was married ten times. BONUS. For my mother to do this it's like finding out she has another family somewhere - so out of character I can't even begin. My siblings are D, D, D and me! My mother always, all these years, claimed that she ran out of D names with extended family. I always added that YOU MAKE NO SENSE.

So sorry about your mom.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #280
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

First of all I am so thrilled MFP is working for you

Second sending pixie dust for the hearing as well, it sounds very unobtrusive!

Third...mnnnm! Strawberry soup! I'm with Fran on that one.

You day sounds fabulous no matter how the afternoon unfolds. I do vote for a cab both ways, V&A is such a special experience why stress about waiting for the boat and the transfer. It can be quite fast but it also can be slow.

Last...love the pot and it is definitely worth an update! Those things are important.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #281
TifffanyD
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Love the pot, Alison! I was thinking along the same line.... we might need to get a microwaveable container for the rice and I was going to check out Walmart or Target when I was in the US.

The food at 1900 looks fantastic. That strawberry soup is something that I want to try someday! I suspect that I'm going to have to make it myself at home.

So sorry about your mom.
Do you need a certain kind of rice? If not then you can get minute rice or boil in the bag rice...
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #282
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Do you need a certain kind of rice? If not then you can get minute rice or boil in the bag rice...
I'm not sure how these would work out for fried rice. Some of them end up releasing more starch or being really gluggy when fried.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #283
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
Cab will probably be the best way for that late at night! I'm wishing we had cabbed it when we were at Narcoossee's this 4th of July but thats because parking at GF can be a nightmare, especially on a holiday.
Because it's so late, that's the reason I'm really thinking towards cab. It will be almost midnight and I think we'll be in a food coma.

Quote:
If you share your recipe I'll share mine...
Is this your recipe?

I'll have to go find the cookbook where I got it from and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Let me tag onto Alison's response. Try to go into V&A with an open mind and try things you think you don't like. You may surprise yourself with actually liking something you thought you hated! I decided on my first trip that I would try anything because I know that V&A would cook it correctly and if I still didn't like it after that, I was free to hate it forever. There are some dishes I've loved more than others but I've never had anything I hated...there is plenty of food over the course of dinner so you won't starve.

Just my 2 cents.

Jill in CO
Same thing with Napa Rose. Chef Sutton always says, "If you want to try something, let us cook it for you. That way you know it will be cooked properly and then if you don't like it, it wasn't because you had it improperly prepared."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

I will probably have a suitable bowl in the Villa. They have at least three sizes of mixing bowls and a non metal serving bowl. With some plastic wrap we could probably do it just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
First of all I am so thrilled MFP is working for you

Second sending pixie dust for the hearing as well, it sounds very unobtrusive!

Third...mnnnm! Strawberry soup! I'm with Fran on that one.

You day sounds fabulous no matter how the afternoon unfolds. I do vote for a cab both ways, V&A is such a special experience why stress about waiting for the boat and the transfer. It can be quite fast but it also can be slow.

Last...love the pot and it is definitely worth an update! Those things are important.
Well the last two days haven't been so good on MFP...

I love the strawberry soup too!

Especially due to the time, I'm thinking cab, but I just related this whole conversation to Fran and she said, "I'm cheap, so I would probably choose the free transportation."

Quote:
I can't speak for PIO, but American Long Grain rices behave differently than most Asian short grain rices. I have at least four to five kinds of rice in my pantry for Asian cooking, risotto, just plain rice to go under a sauce, Basmati rice for Indian food, and I guess that's it for now. I have a ton of CalRose Botan Rice which all my friends from Asia recommended that I use. I can bring some of that as I already plan on bringing a bag of rice for my first night's dinner. No point in buying a giant bag of rice for one stir fry dish. The bag I have is 5lbs and still more than half full.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #284
TifffanyD
I need to reload

hahah maybe - I'll have to check and see

Oh I use Basmati or Jasmine rice but I thought for a fried rice dish a simple minute rice, chilled, and refried could do alright. I didn't want to have her deal with buying cookware....
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #285
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
hahah maybe - I'll have to check and see

Oh I use Basmati or Jasmine rice but I thought for a fried rice dish a simple minute rice, chilled, and refried could do alright. I didn't want to have her deal with buying cookware....

Some of the microwave containers are a couple of dollars here. I would expect that they would be cheaper in the US.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: