Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #256
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Well, I am back from my travels and trying to catch up with everyone's news
Hope everything goes well with the house hearing next week
Loving all the cooking updates, even though I can't cook to save my life
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #257
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
So glad things are renting for you! It will be nice to get the income rolling in again. Fingers crossed on the hearing! May crazy neighbor lady lose and lose big.

Jill in CO
Hopefully tomorrow we will be as rented as we can. Then it's time to work on the unit in our building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Cause I screwed up with the picture and I NEED IT. All those glorious food pictures, history, lovely event and I was totally transfixed by being greeted with a drink.
Is this what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
It's been that kind of few days! Oh yeah, this is YOUR trip report.

Good to hear Alison. Here's to it all working out!
I said a ways back you should have some kind of PTR so that we can all support your in your day to day life! I sense you have rough times coming up with your folks and just the normal challenges of life.

Less than two days. Evidently the whole neighborhood is coming. They must think that we are erecting a giant structure on the second floor including a huge pride flag that will encircle the entire house with turrets, gogo girl platforms and who knows what else? I think they will have the wind taken out of their sails for most complaints other than those who just want to complain for complaints sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Not in any particular order:

1- we are very very much alike, don't eat much but eat late and when we do eat at all "not good" ie as in thinking flavors NOT calories I think you hit the nail right on the head & I have been told the same we skip meals and the body definitely goes into starvation mode (When will this stupid woman give me food again ? Better just store it all as it could be months) ...hence in my case my behind seriously you are beautiful and when life gets a little calmer you will do what feels right to get a handle on this...right there with you me too
I'm getting better on this "not eating" thing. Thank you Cynthia and Jenny for suggesting myfitnesspal.com!

Quote:
2- Who is Darcy ?
She is my cleaning lady, but actually much more than that. She is willing to work with us and do "whatever we need". She says it is an amusing job because she never knows what she will be doing that day. She is fine with cleaning the litter boxes, sweeping, vaccuming the floors, cleaning toilets (whether ours or vacant apartments). She helps us move boxes, pack up stuff, open Fran's many packages, plant our garden, whatever we ask, she has been cool with it.

Quote:
3- What is Germ Killer ?
This is something that Brandi and coined on the AKL resort thread. A lot of people were getting sick and she and I both said that we were making sure to kill all the germs inside our bodies with plenty of alcohol (me it was wine), not sure her germ poison, but the two of us have remained mostly healthy so we attribute it to our use of Germ Killer.

Quote:
4- Soooo Awesome when you post Disney history I sit and read and read totally enthralled you bring us into the scene with your pictures and wonderful descriptions ..its been awhile but I still "see" the lounge in my head what a thrill It also makes me really want to get the TIW membership so that I can do some of those "closed" events here I see the signs over the years and think...someday I can't wait until you go to the Expo I want to be right there with you & Fran for that too coming up soon
I'm looking very forward to the Expo. I have my TR ready to go and might post it in the next few days since we will be less than a month out. I'm very blessed to get to hear a lot about the "history" part of Disney. I really like Disneyland because of it's history with Walt. That's the real stuff of great stories. A lot of the people who worked with Walt are gone now. It's so neat to hear from those who were lucky enough to work with him!

Quote:
5- Yeah to getting a renter may everything rent when ready asap
We are almost ready for tomorrow. All I have to do is make them two sets of keys. The papers are printed and the apartment is ready with the exception of a couple screens.

Quote:
6-sending love, prayers, and for the hearing !! May it all go your way..there is ALWAYS a crazy neighbor everywhere may the courts see exactly the type she is
I hope so too. But since I have learned that most of the neighbors are coming, I hope that all of them have crazy unfounded allegations. I hope most of them have disillusioned ideas of what we plan and once they find out it is not nearly as monstrous as they fear they will be OK with it.

Quote:

read your post on my thread sent you a PM

Ruthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Well, I am back from my travels and trying to catch up with everyone's news
Hope everything goes well with the house hearing next week
Loving all the cooking updates, even though I can't cook to save my life
I hope that you had a great time on your travels and don't have too hard a time catching up!

Thanks for the good wishes on the hearing.

Anyone can cook, you just need to start with small recipes and practice. It's really quite easy. Heck if I can do it anyone can!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #258
franandaj

I just thought that I would let you folks have a glimpse into our "house" as we hope. Here is the front unit of the house. You really can't see our part of the house in this photo. And as I look at the house, you'll really not be able to see much of our addition from the street level either. It may be a little higher than the roof level of the front unit, but not overbearingly. The crazy lady's house is on the left. Ironically her house does not meet the current code. It is too tall for it's closeness to the street!

You can see the big a$$ sign there. Here is a close up.

As you walk down the path to the left of the front unit you can see our place.

And the front door (which will be relocated to where the window is in the rebuild).

So wish us luck with less than 48 hours to go!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #259
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Alison - Here's to a sympathetic council and I'm sure it will all go well. Can't wait to see the final house.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #260
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Alison - both places are so cute!!! Good luck!!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #261
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Fingers crossed! I think what you have planned will be unobtrusive and blend in well. Although this sounds like a good alternative! "Evidently the whole neighborhood is coming. They must think that we are erecting a giant structure on the second floor including a huge pride flag that will encircle the entire house with turrets, gogo girl platforms and who knows what else?"

Jill in CO
Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #262
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Love those historical Long Beach homes. Here's hoping the council sees the value of the addition and ignores the nut next door.
Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #263
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Alison - Here's to a sympathetic council and I'm sure it will all go well. Can't wait to see the final house.
I sure hope it does! Let's hope that everyone's complaints are unfounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Alison - both places are so cute!!! Good luck!!
Thanks! I just hope it all works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Fingers crossed! I think what you have planned will be unobtrusive and blend in well. Although this sounds like a good alternative! "Evidently the whole neighborhood is coming. They must think that we are erecting a giant structure on the second floor including a huge pride flag that will encircle the entire house with turrets, gogo girl platforms and who knows what else?"

Jill in CO
We may have to throw in a few gogo girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Love those historical Long Beach homes. Here's hoping the council sees the value of the addition and ignores the nut next door.
We do have one good thing on our side, they have already deemed the nut next door's complaints to be unfounded. The question is will any of the other neighbors have any valid concerns. I hope not!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #264
franandaj

Iím not sure if this is update worthy, but I wanted to share. One of the things that I will need to make the Sausage Casserole is a stovetop to oven pot. I know that from my experience in the Villas, they do not have these. All the pots to use on the stovetop have handles that will not work in the oven, so my only choice was to pour the casserole into an oven proof dish and cover it with tin foil. I had set Fran with a mission that as she hit her Saturday morning garage sales to look out for one of these kinds of pots, but for the past couple months she has come up empty handed. So finally we began to price pots at retail stores, I was astonished that Smart and Final wanted $16.99 for the pot and another $4.99 for the lid! Later that day I was at a local grocery store and found the perfect pot for $7.99 with the lid included.

Rather than hold out for a garage sale, I just went ahead and got it. This will be great for our dinner the first night, and then we can use it again at the cookout for the Queso. We can keep it warm on the BBQ grill and it has no handles that will melt from the coals. We are going to dump a large item from our OL this Fall, so I can keep the pot in the OL for future visits.

OK, so letís get back to our Day to Day plans and hopes. Last trip we were so excited about being at WDW we were up early every single morning. I sure hope that we have that kind of adrenaline going for this trip! Our first full day of the trip or Day 2, September 30, we have an ADR for 9:05 at the Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare.

This is one of Franís favorite buffets, not for the characters, although we love Tiggr and Pooh, as well as the Mad Hatter, but our main reason for this particular buffet is the strawberry soup.

Iím sure weíll have a great time meeting with the characters and fill ourselves until we are nice and full. They have a full buffet offering here with just about anything you want, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, lox, Mickey waffles, lobster benedict, they have something for everyone!

After we finish our breakfast we plan to head over to MK for our first DISmeet of the trip. Dhorner has her last day of her trip and she will be meeting up with PrincessInOz and her family (after their early breakfast at Crystal Palace), we are hoping that we can meet up with them and visit some attractions or just enjoy each otherís company.

There are a few things that we (I) really want to do that we missed on our trip in Jan/Feb. First is one of my favorite ďmust doĒ rides at MK, the Carousel of Progress. We were so focused on checking out NFL that we neglected some of our favorite places in MK. Another ride that I havenít been on in years is the Peoplemover. Iíd like to revisit that ride again as well. Some of our other favorite must do rides are Mickeyís Philharmagic, The Haunted Mansion and Poohís Ride. If Arielís ride is up and running, Iíd like to check that out if for nothing else than to see the queue, I hear that it is much better than DCA (it isnít hard to beat DCAís queue, there isnít anything to it!)

I suspect that if we even accomplish half of those attractions, we will be ready to go back to the room for a nap! Of course we will do some shopping on Main street before we head back to the room. Iím not sure if we will grab some snacks in MK or on our way back to the VWL, or just make something in the room when we get back, weíll have plenty of provisions for sandwiches and other snacks. I may not even be hungry, but Iím sure Fran will be. Weíll probably hang out in the room until around 7:30 PM. I may go down to the pool for a dip, or go around the resort for some pictures. I have some other DIS friends who might be on property and maybe meet up with them.

However, I end up spending the afternoon, we will get ourselves dressed up and ready for our dinner at Victoria and Albertís that evening. Iím thinking that we would take the boat to the Contemporary and then take the monorail, but Fran may rather take a cab so as not to have to take her scooter. Weíll have to see.

Itís been three years since I last ate there. We are in the main dining room and Iím sure that will be plenty of food. Iím not sure I could work up the appetite for the QV room and the Chefís Table absolutely kicked my butt! Since Iíve already shown you all the meals Iíve enjoyed there, Iíll just share a few ambience shots.

They even bring you a stool for your purse.

The table setting is elegant

And of course you know about the food!

My only concern is getting home. Our reservation is for 8:45PM, dinner normally lasts about 3 hours. The MK has EMH until 11:00PM and from what I have read the boats run for an hour and a half after park closing. Theoretically we could catch the Monorail to the MK and the boat back to the VWL, but I suspect that we will be so tired and in a food coma that we will just get a cab to take us home.

Iím imagining that this will be a magical day with some wonderful food and some great company. Plus we will ride some fun rides that I have not been on in quite some time. It should be a very fun day!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #265
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Iím not sure if this is update worthy, but I wanted to share. One of the things that I will need to make the Sausage Casserole is a stovetop to oven pot. I know that from my experience in the Villas, they do not have these. All the pots to use on the stovetop have handles that will not work in the oven, so my only choice was to pour the casserole into an oven proof dish and cover it with tin foil. I had set Fran with a mission that as she hit her Saturday morning garage sales to look out for one of these kinds of pots, but for the past couple months she has come up empty handed. So finally we began to price pots at retail stores, I was astonished that Smart and Final wanted $16.99 for the pot and another $4.99 for the lid! Later that day I was at a local grocery store and found the perfect pot for $7.99 with the lid included.

Rather than hold out for a garage sale, I just went ahead and got it. This will be great for our dinner the first night, and then we can use it again at the cookout for the Queso. We can keep it warm on the BBQ grill and it has no handles that will melt from the coals. We are going to dump a large item from our OL this Fall, so I can keep the pot in the OL for future visits.

OK, so letís get back to our Day to Day plans and hopes. Last trip we were so excited about being at WDW we were up early every single morning. I sure hope that we have that kind of adrenaline going for this trip! Our first full day of the trip or Day 2, September 30, we have an ADR for 9:05 at the Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare.

This is one of Franís favorite buffets, not for the characters, although we love Tiggr and Pooh, as well as the Mad Hatter, but our main reason for this particular buffet is the strawberry soup.

Iím sure weíll have a great time meeting with the characters and fill ourselves until we are nice and full. They have a full buffet offering here with just about anything you want, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, lox, Mickey waffles, lobster benedict, they have something for everyone!

After we finish our breakfast we plan to head over to MK for our first DISmeet of the trip. Dhorner has her last day of her trip and she will be meeting up with PrincessInOz and her family (after their early breakfast at Crystal Palace), we are hoping that we can meet up with them and visit some attractions or just enjoy each otherís company.

There are a few things that we (I) really want to do that we missed on our trip in Jan/Feb. First is one of my favorite ďmust doĒ rides at MK, the Carousel of Progress. We were so focused on checking out NFL that we neglected some of our favorite places in MK. Another ride that I havenít been on in years is the Peoplemover. Iíd like to revisit that ride again as well. Some of our other favorite must do rides are Mickeyís Philharmagic, The Haunted Mansion and Poohís Ride. If Arielís ride is up and running, Iíd like to check that out if for nothing else than to see the queue, I hear that it is much better than DCA (it isnít hard to beat DCAís queue, there isnít anything to it!)

I suspect that if we even accomplish half of those attractions, we will be ready to go back to the room for a nap! Of course we will do some shopping on Main street before we head back to the room. Iím not sure if we will grab some snacks in MK or on our way back to the VWL, or just make something in the room when we get back, weíll have plenty of provisions for sandwiches and other snacks. I may not even be hungry, but Iím sure Fran will be. Weíll probably hang out in the room until around 7:30 PM. I may go down to the pool for a dip, or go around the resort for some pictures. I have some other DIS friends who might be on property and maybe meet up with them.

However, I end up spending the afternoon, we will get ourselves dressed up and ready for our dinner at Victoria and Albertís that evening. Iím thinking that we would take the boat to the Contemporary and then take the monorail, but Fran may rather take a cab so as not to have to take her scooter. Weíll have to see.

Itís been three years since I last ate there. We are in the main dining room and Iím sure that will be plenty of food. Iím not sure I could work up the appetite for the QV room and the Chefís Table absolutely kicked my butt! Since Iíve already shown you all the meals Iíve enjoyed there, Iíll just share a few ambience shots.

They even bring you a stool for your purse.

The table setting is elegant

And of course you know about the food!

My only concern is getting home. Our reservation is for 8:45PM, dinner normally lasts about 3 hours. The MK has EMH until 11:00PM and from what I have read the boats run for an hour and a half after park closing. Theoretically we could catch the Monorail to the MK and the boat back to the VWL, but I suspect that we will be so tired and in a food coma that we will just get a cab to take us home.

Iím imagining that this will be a magical day with some wonderful food and some great company. Plus we will ride some fun rides that I have not been on in quite some time. It should be a very fun day!
Nice find on the pot!

Looks like a fantastic day. I would just grab the cab after V&A. I'm usually "done" after V&A (and a little tipsy! ) and its so much easier and faster to just grab the cab and get back to the room.

Jill in CO
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #266
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Just in! Got a lot of catching up to do! Love the photos! Can't wait to read it all :-)
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 2008, Saratoga The Springs 2009, Saratoga The Springs 2010, Saratoga The Paddocks 2011, Disney Dream 2011, Saratoga The Grandstand 2012, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL Kidani Village 2013, Saratoga 2013 , VWL 2013, Disney Dream 2013, ASMu 2014, Saratoga 2014, AKV 2014, BCV 2014, Disney Dream 2014, VGF 2014

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #267
TifffanyD
I need to reload

I would just get the cab... No use stressing after Suharto a wonderful meal!

Great pot! I need something like that
Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #268
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

!
Please make it a double.

Thanks Alison. I took a weekend off from looking after said parents and all he!! broke loose!

My mom is declining rapidly at this point but I recently found out, through the dwindling boundaries of dementia, that I was named after a soap opera character who was married ten times. BONUS. For my mother to do this it's like finding out she has another family somewhere - so out of character I can't even begin. My siblings are D, D, D and me! My mother always, all these years, claimed that she ran out of D names with extended family. I always added that YOU MAKE NO SENSE.

No crazy crazy CRAZY weekend. Men. Chilean ska. Mexican Electronica. 3 AM ganga smells from my terrace. Sexual comments I actually needed to google. Things of that nature.

I'm so gone.

Haven't even caught up yet.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #269
TifffanyD
I need to reload

^^^ oh my.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #270
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Here's some pixie dust for a smooth hearing this week. I was chuckling when I noticed the addition is larger then the house I'm in.

Nice score on the pot! Also, another vote for a cab for before and after V & A.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: