Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #241
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaserjm View Post
What a great experience! I love that you got to see and hear such an in-depth history on one of the attractions that Walt really had a major hand in creating.

I also love the inclusion of the Imagineers and espeically Maggie Elliott...it's inspiring to see someone who was such an early pioneer in a field that even today is so heavily male dominated.
It was so neat too, sitting at the table with her and listening to her talk, even if it was just about where she lived and what it was like to be retired. She was a very nice and humble lady.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #242
franandaj

Well, one down, one to go. I signed the rental papers on one of the apartments today. They're nice enough folks and make enough money, but I have a stinking feeling that they took the first thing they could get and may be looking to move when something better comes along.

We don't do leases, as it gives us the flexibility to ask tenants to leave if they aren't working out. We also take a risk that someone will only stay for a couple months, and have definitely had that happen. Oh well, at least we are set for a little while. I'll be setting up the appointment with the other tenant on Friday after a few last repairs are completed on the building!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #243
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Well, one down, one to go. I signed the rental papers on one of the apartments today. They're nice enough folks and make enough money, but I have a stinking feeling that they took the first thing they could get and may be looking to move when something better comes along.

We don't do leases, as it gives us the flexibility to ask tenants to leave if they aren't working out. We also take a risk that someone will only stay for a couple months, and have definitely had that happen. Oh well, at least we are set for a little while. I'll be setting up the appointment with the other tenant on Friday after a few last repairs are completed on the building!
That's awesome! Hopefully they'll end up sticking around longer than you think.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #244
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj

I hope it works out! Props to you for being able to be a landlord. Joe has broached the subject of buying rental properties before but I'm not sure I could do it!

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #245
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

That's great news! Hopefully they'll stick around.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #246
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Good news!

Jill in CO
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #247
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Great news, one down and one to go.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #248
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
That's awesome! Hopefully they'll end up sticking around longer than you think.
Me too! You never know what people are thinking and our contractor really did these places up nice. They would have a hard time coming up with a place as nice, I mean granite counters, beautiful backsplashes, hardwood floors, quiet building....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaserjm View Post
I hope it works out! Props to you for being able to be a landlord. Joe has broached the subject of buying rental properties before but I'm not sure I could do it!
I don't think I'd enter into anymore and in fact, I was married into this. I still don't really know my way around and constantly have to ask questions, but Fran can't do the stairs to show the places and meet with the folks, so that part is up to me. If you really like to clean toilets, stoves, floors, windows and stuff, go for it. For years all I did was collect the checks and then when the economy turned all our units started going up for turnover. We took the opportunity to give them a face lift and a several hundred dollar monthly rent increase. Each one will take at least a year if not 18 months to make back the money we put in (not including property taxes and utilities that's just the renovation costs) before we see any money. The two on the bottom floor are just about to started bringing in money now. The others, well give them 18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
That's great news! Hopefully they'll stick around.
Hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Good news!

Jill in CO
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Great news, one down and one to go.
Exactly!

Then we get back to work on the one in our building that we were boxing up the music from about a year ago and removing the carpeting.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #249
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:

Congrats. Hope it works out!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #250
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I mean granite counters, beautiful backsplashes, hardwood floors, quiet building....
Wow! Wish I would have met you while we were living in Long Beach. Sounds WAY nicer than the apartment we had.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #251
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Funny, I just emailed you back and was hoping you'd found renters! Awesome! Let's see pics of the apartment. It's in a great area.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #252
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Congrats. Hope it works out!
Me too! I still have to get the other ones to sign and give me the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Wow! Wish I would have met you while we were living in Long Beach. Sounds WAY nicer than the apartment we had.
You were long moved back home when we started making our apartments really cool. The vacancies started coming in 2007 and then we had to just replace the appliances (because most were about 30-40 years old). And that we did with redeeming our over 1 million Amex miles for Home Depot Gift Cards. Even with new appliances, they had the same old countertops and pink bathrooms. It wasn't until her father died that we took out a mortgage on his house and got the capital to start REALLY improving these places, now they look gorgeous! At least though we always rented clean places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Funny, I just emailed you back and was hoping you'd found renters! Awesome! Let's see pics of the apartment. It's in a great area.
I actually don't really have pictures, I didn't even get a chance to put the website up with interior photos because they rented so fast. We were still putting blinds up in the one that I still have to sign paperwork for the day they applied. I didn't want to take pictures before the blinds were done and hopefully now I won't have to. If we get the approval on 1st Street Monday, I'm going to start a home building thread, and I'll post pictures of what the place looks like (same contractor same general idea) before they start tearing it apart. And throughout the building process.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #253
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Me too! I still have to get the other ones to sign and give me the money!

You were long moved back home when we started making our apartments really cool. The vacancies started coming in 2007 and then we had to just replace the appliances (because most were about 30-40 years old). And that we did with redeeming our over 1 million Amex miles for Home Depot Gift Cards. Even with new appliances, they had the same old countertops and pink bathrooms. It wasn't until her father died that we took out a mortgage on his house and got the capital to start REALLY improving these places, now they look gorgeous! At least though we always rented clean places.

I actually don't really have pictures, I didn't even get a chance to put the website up with interior photos because they rented so fast. We were still putting blinds up in the one that I still have to sign paperwork for the day they applied. I didn't want to take pictures before the blinds were done and hopefully now I won't have to. If we get the approval on 1st Street Monday, I'm going to start a home building thread, and I'll post pictures of what the place looks like (same contractor same general idea) before they start tearing it apart. And throughout the building process.
So glad things are renting for you! It will be nice to get the income rolling in again. Fingers crossed on the hearing! May crazy neighbor lady lose and lose big.

Jill in CO
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #254
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
INSERT DRINK PICTURE!!!!!!
Cause I screwed up with the picture and I NEED IT. All those glorious food pictures, history, lovely event and I was totally transfixed by being greeted with a drink.

It's been that kind of few days! Oh yeah, this is YOUR trip report.

Quote:

Good to hear Alison. Here's to it all working out!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #255
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Talking I am ALL caught up !! now comments...

Not in any particular order:

1- we are very very much alike, don't eat much but eat late and when we do eat at all "not good" ie as in thinking flavors NOT calories I think you hit the nail right on the head & I have been told the same we skip meals and the body definitely goes into starvation mode (When will this stupid woman give me food again ? Better just store it all as it could be months) ...hence in my case my behind seriously you are beautiful and when life gets a little calmer you will do what feels right to get a handle on this...right there with you me too

2- Who is Darcy ?

3- What is Germ Killer ?

4- Soooo Awesome when you post Disney history I sit and read and read totally enthralled you bring us into the scene with your pictures and wonderful descriptions ..its been awhile but I still "see" the lounge in my head what a thrill It also makes me really want to get the TIW membership so that I can do some of those "closed" events here I see the signs over the years and think...someday I can't wait until you go to the Expo I want to be right there with you & Fran for that too coming up soon

5- Yeah to getting a renter may everything rent when ready asap

6-sending love, prayers, and for the hearing !! May it all go your way..there is ALWAYS a crazy neighbor everywhere may the courts see exactly the type she is

read your post on my thread sent you a PM

Ruthie

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: