Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #211
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Hope your renter works out too.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #212
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Hope the renter turns out positive, and I love using Loseit! on my phone, it works great!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #213
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Cynthia,

, in fact I might suffer from the problem that I don't eat enough and my body goes into starvation mode.
You know who's like that - Whoopi Goldberg. She hardly eats and goes many hours without anything. Not a lot of interest she says. And she's been gaining. This age is a weird thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I hope your potential renter works out!
Forgot this - me too.

Off on a $22 train ride (Montreal)! I love deals.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #214
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I hope that everything with your renter works out.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #215
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
I hope your potential renter works out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Hope your renter works out too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Hope the renter turns out positive, and I love using Loseit! on my phone, it works great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I hope that everything with your renter works out.

Corinna
We had to reschedule for tomorrow, but hopefully this will work out and we will only have one vacant apartment that it rental ready! That's not counting the one that is vacant and completely in need of rehab still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
You know who's like that - Whoopi Goldberg. She hardly eats and goes many hours without anything. Not a lot of interest she says. And she's been gaining. This age is a weird thing.

Forgot this - me too.

Off on a $22 train ride (Montreal)! I love deals.
I go through phases, sometimes I don't eat because nothing sounds good to me. I bought a box of corn flakes and so at least I have been having that for breakfast.

Have fun in Montreal!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #216
franandaj

Well I won't count my chickens before they hatch, but I took applications on both vacant apartments today. Jim finished putting up the blinds and I shortened all the horizontals today. Now he is replacing the broken window cranks. All that will be left is to rescreen three screens and install them.

I'd like to fine a curtain to cover the front doors as they have clear glass windows on the top half. Icouldn't find any at Anna's the other day so I'll try Lowe's again. We're almost all done !

I just need to run the credit reports when I get home, but I think at least one couple is somewhat of a "yes". Although until I put their deposit in the bank, I won't count on anything!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #217
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Almost done

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #218
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Well I won't count my chickens before they hatch, but I took applications on both vacant apartments today. Jim finished putting up the blinds and I shortened all the horizontals today. Now he is replacing the broken window cranks. All that will be left is to rescreen three screens and install them.

I'd like to fine a curtain to cover the front doors as they have clear glass windows on the top half. Icouldn't find any at Anna's the other day so I'll try Lowe's again. We're almost all done !

I just need to run the credit reports when I get home, but I think at least one couple is somewhat of a "yes". Although until I put their deposit in the bank, I won't count on anything!

eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #219
PrincessInOz
in

Sounds super promising!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #220
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Awesome news!

Jill in CO
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #221
franandaj

Quote:
Almost done
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sounds super promising!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Awesome news!

Jill in CO
Thanks all! I ran the report on the woman who said her ex hubby @#$#^&%$# her and if she is telling the truth then I hope they will be good to go. I have to show it to Fran and see if she is willing to take a leap of faith. Anyone who has an ex-husband who @#$%$%&^% them over would be empathetic, and I seem to have a bond with her. However, do I believe her that since she has a good job and good credit for the last year? I'm leaning towards it, but she does have some big marks on her history, I hope Fran will help me out. I'm thinking give the poor gal a chance since she has a good job and stupid men can screw you up if you're not careful, but we will see. I haven't run the other reports yet. I was just too tired tonight.

And I was trying to figure out video solutions to my next update. I think I might have it under control and this should be a real treat!

Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #222
franandaj

So Fran and I had the incredible luck to attend an exclusive event for the 50th anniversary of the Tiki room. Our friends invited us to attend and I was able to get some pictures from the event photographer capturing our wait to enter the event.

Once we were admitted to the event we were immediately greeted with Mai Tais!

We found our table and it was decked out impeccably in Tiki garb!

Our menu was waiting for us and we had quite the adventure in store!

Here we are happy and ready to party Tiki style!!!!!

At our table was Marty Sklar and Maggie Elliot. For those of you feminists out there (which I don’t think there are any), but she was the first woman to break a lot of barriers in the Disney world. She reached some seriously high positions in WED, now she is retired and lives near Yosemite. Her Husband was pretty high up there, but this night was to celebrate her achievements so even though he did a lot of stuff, he let her shine at the table.

Looking at this picture, it was before the evening started, we had our drinks but nothing else. I was talking to Tim O’Day about the D23 Expo. It turns out that after all he has done in the past Expos the only thing he is doing for 2013 is producing the Sherman/Menken concert. Now while that is no small feat, usually he hosts 1/3 to half the panels. It makes me think that this concert will be a HUGE event since it is taking up all of his time just for one event!

I was telling Tim how excited that I was for the concert. When Richard Sherman closed the Destination-D events he was awesome! I couldn’t fathom what they would have been like without him, until Alan Menken played. Then it hit me, while Richard Sherman wrote the soundtrack for my childhood, Alan Menken wrote the soundtrack for my adult life. I told him this, and he liked it! Who knows? He might even use it that night, we’ll see.

We were served our Hawaiian Welcome Lomi-Lomi Opaka with Wontons and Taro Chips.

Our bread

Then our first course, Quickly Seared and then Chilled Ahi Poke. Being a fan of Maguro and Tuna Sashimi, I thoroughly enjoyed this course, but I noticed a ton of plates going back to the kitchen untouched, so I guess not everyone was as adventurous as I!

Next we were served Polynesian Grilled Chicken Breast, it had hint of teriyaki sauce and was served over a bed of rice with a coconut sort of sauce. I was afraid I wouldn’t like the coconut part, but as I am finding out, it’s not the flavor of coconut that puts me off, it’s the texture of flaked coconut. This was served with a pineapple wine. It was very unique and tasty!

Next we were served Kona Style Roast Pork. I had really enjoyed everything so far, and this was OK, but not much better than that. It was tender, but really lacked in flavor. There was an onion ring on the top and that was pretty good. It was also served on top of purple mashed potatoes which I didn’t think were all that special. I let Fran have about half my serving.

Then they called up the panel and they started to talk about working on the Tiki Room with Walt.

Tim O’Day called up Marty Sklar, Maggie Elliot and Bob Gurr to the front of the room to talk to everyone.

Here is a shot of Walt in the Tiki Room, but getting there took a lot of work and perseverance.

Nobody had seen talking birds, singing flowers and chanting tiki gods before. Audio animatronics were still in their infancy and getting people to understand this world of wonder was a difficult job. This shot is from a video that the showed where Walt was showing how he controlled an early version of one of the animatronic birds. That lever in his hand allowed you to move the various parts of the bird. You can tell that they guy he is demonstrating this to thinks he is nuts!

During this talk they brought us our dessert. Poi infused Plantain Pudding with Macadamia Chocolate Fudge, shortbread cookie and pineapple ice cream. It was good, but the pudding part was kind of weird.

John Hensch had a lot to do with the Tiki Room. This rendering he made was on display by the bar all night. You can sort of see it behind Tim O’Day in the shot where I am talking to him. This was John Hensch’s rendering of the Tiki Room back when Walt was still toying with the idea that it would be a restaurant.

As you might know, the Tiki Room was originally supposed to be a restaurant, but Walt realized that no one would ever want to leave the place, so he turned it into an attraction. Here is a shot of John Hensch with one of the models that he produced and a rendering of the fountain in the center of the room.

They also brought us this Kona Coffee to go with dessert.

[Continued in Next Post]

Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #223
franandaj

[Continued from Previous Post]

Another person who was key in working on the Tiki Room was Rolly Crump.

Rolly is quite a character. We had the pleasure of attending a dinner where he was the speaker and he had some hilarious stories to tell. He has recently written a book about his experiences call, “It’s a really cute story…” Evidently he, along with Ward Kimball, were two of the “black sheep” so to speak in the Imagineers bunch. Rolly worked on the Tiki Gods in the attraction. This is a picture of him nowadays from a video they played where he was reminiscing about his work on the Tiki Room.

They talked about working with Harriet Burns next. Burns began working at Disney Studios in 1955 as a prop and set painter for the Mickey Mouse Club. Burns contributed greatly to the development of Disneyland at WED Enterprises by creating both miniature models and actual theme park attractions. One of Burns's first assignments was to craft a model of Sleeping Beauty Castle, a Disneyland landmark which opened with the theme park on July 17, 1955. She continued to work on Disneyland expansions after the park's grand opening. Burns designed models of the Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction as a 1/100th scale replica of the famous Matterhorn in Switzerland.

Another of Burns's job at Disneyland was what is called "figure-finishing." Figure-finishing involves applying paint and other finishes to Disneyland attractions and mannequins to create a "finished" look. Burns personally designed and painted the set pieces and underwater figurines for the Submarine Voyage ride. She applied individual feathers to the animatronic birds in Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, which opened in 1963. Burns later confessed in a 2005 interview with The Hollywood Reporter that the Tiki Room birds were one of her most challenging projects ever. "When they breathed out, it would be fine, but when they came back they scrunched. They looked like they had mites." She managed to fix the look of the birds and actively maintained the Tiki Room attraction after its opening.

They also described her as an amazing task master who could tell jokes “with the boys”, and occasionally had the mouth of a sailor!

Marc Davis was also a contributor to the Tiki Room. He was evidently obsessed with the whole Tiki concept and had traveled to the Pacific returning with all kinds of Tiki Gods and Icons. He was a natural for this project.

Then they played some footage from a 10th Anniversary special commemorating Disneyland.

This is the “Barker Bird” which appears outside the Tiki Room beckoning guests to come inside.

Here is Walt in the model shop demonstrating the bird’s capabilities.

Here are some photos from opening day of the Tiki Room at Disneyland.

The “Barker Bird” in his place.

Now this part I found fascinating. Back when computers couldn’t fit inside chambers the size of a medicinal capsule they were really big. These are some photos of the hardware required just to make each bird move.

You see four different modules here. Each one of those controls only one bird/flower.

Here is a ticket from opening day of the Tiki Room.

They concluded the presentation and then walked us all over to the Tiki Room. This sign was outside the attraction. I’ve always seen these kinds of things, but never have I been part of the folks for whom it is closed! I’m usually the poor slob who wants to go in and is denied access

We waited outside until they were ready for us to come in.

It was a little bit strange to see a full size Grand Piano sitting in the middle of the Tiki Room!

We got seats in the second row.

Flash Photography was allowed!

And then in the corner I saw why there was a grand piano in the Tiki Room!

Tim O’Day announced our entertainment for the night, and Richard Sherman sat down at the piano and began to sing and play for us.

[Continued in Next Post]

Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #224
franandaj

[Continued from Previous Post]

It was about two or three songs into it that I realized that we weren’t at a D23 event. No one had told us to put away all recording devices!!!!!! I wouldn’t normally have thought of this, but at every D23 event there is no recording allowed. Every time I report on one of the musical events PIO teases me that as much as she has enjoyed READING about how great the event was, what she really wanted was to LISTEN to it! I realized that I could finally indulge her in this evening, so I whipped out my cell phone and began recording the rest of the performance.

Here is the tail end of a song from the Jungle Book, which I’m sure you all will recognize.

Here is Richard telling us about how he pitched the songs from the Jungle Book to Louis Prima.

Then he went on to talk about this favorite tune of Disney Fans everywhere.

Then he went on to talk about the Carousel of Progress

He also talked about the inspiration for It’s a Small World.

Can you say Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious backwards?

On all things Tiki….you’ll have to forgive me, these files are a little bit longer and it took me sometime to figure out how to get such large files to upload to the web. It may take some time for them to buffer and download but I think you will really enjoy these!

After that there were a couple more little surprises. Mickey Mouse showed up and we sang Happy Birthday.

Then Richard Sherman started the regular Tiki room show and we were treated to a performance of the original show. I think this also gave him the chance to sneak out and not have any adoring fans approaching him for autographs or other conversation.

Following the spectacular concert, we were released into the park which was still open and very much bustling. Fran made her usual stops at the Disney Gallery where a CM mentioned to her that the steamboat figure she was admiring was the “last one”. Two words that cause Fran to whip out her wallet immediately. We also stopped at World of Disney where I bought another one of those cute red dresses, just in case anything happens to the one I have (stains, tears, etc). I'm not sure what time we left the resort but it was really late and I'm pretty sure we slept in as late as we could (with Darcy coming over to work on the apartments!)

Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #225
PrincessInOz
in

Alison!

That is one magical update.

Congrats on scoring the opportunity to go to this 50th anniversary event. That would have been something special to sit with Marty Skylar and Maggie Elliott.

And on top of all the pictures, you posted videos as well. O.M.G.

I am in heaven!!
Been sitting here for the last little while just downloading and buffering and listening. Those are great snippets into the night that you've shared and it was such a pleasure to even get this little glimpse into such a special event and moment. How fantastic to be able to see and HEAR Richard Sherman play all those great historic Disney songs.

Thank you so much. I'm so overawed by your generosity to tape it and share. :goodvibe

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: