Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #31
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

So while I'm definitely in.. It makes me frustrated that there isnt the same 'combo' for January.. I'll have a Dumbo Medal, A Slipper Medal along with the 10K/Halfs but I'm doing the 10K/Half in Jan as well...

I'd love the pink C/C but thats going to have to wait till next year cause I cant justify a DLR trip twice within 4 months...

-em
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

OK, I understand why the men get upset, but if it were not for the women-centered races, I would have never gotten into running in the first place.

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #33
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
OK, I understand why the men get upset, but if it were not for the women-centered races, I would have never gotten into running in the first place.
This is me, too. I started running because we were down in Orlando the weekend of the Princess Half in 2010, and I saw all of these women who didn't "LOOK" like runners to me with half marathon medals. It changed my entire perception of running, and I started Couch to 5k the following Friday.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #34
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

I'm a guy, I ran 2 princess and doing this challenge. I did the second princess and the 5th. The 2nd princess, men were allowed to start the B corral and the 5th, they were in the C corral. I have no issue starting in the B corral, but to put people into the C corral is dangerous. I will say, I nearly ran over 50+ women that were in the B corral that were walking by mile 1, I was one among at least 100 men that were quickly passing thru B, we reached them by .7 miles. I did see a few guys, even some women that did run people over cause they were stopping, walking suddenly and just changing direction at a much slower pace. Combining two different speeds will cause injury on the course. More and more men are entering this race each year. I have an issue of corralling runners but then not "corralling" them, meaning that runners of same speed should be put where that speed is located, this is to control the race, allow for a smooth race and prevent anyone getting run over.

Also, this is NOT a women's centered event, it is a women's focused event. There is a difference. If the race is centered for women, it is solely for women, men would not be allowed to register. It is focused, meaning that is the target audience, but not solely them, as men are invited to run as well, they also have shirts in men sizes.

I feel men will still be in C this year, but I think it may work out better, since it will be the <2:10 corral most likely for this race. There will be an increase in corrals, I'm hearing from H to L with every 3 minutes letting people off. Personally, I would like to see men back into at least B, it prevents injuries and mis-corralling of the runners, and with the new corralling system, they should be putting them correctly no matter gender.

I have contacted rD about this and I know many others have as well. I feel they listened in part of the corralling situation in general, but to see if they listened on these two races in general will be another question.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
Also, remember that this is the race that more runners get swept from than any other rD race. Those swept still get medals and they may not look like runners mainly cause they went 2 miles and quit, which is very common in this race. That was the reason the 10k was added this year, to give those runners the option of a shorter race to actually finish.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #36
Millenium Mickey
Mouseketeer

Any idea if the 5K will be on Friday (separate from 10K like WDW weekend) or on Saturday (like Disneyland)?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
liesel
DIS Veteran

All right, I've finally reached my limit. Of course I think everyone has a right to their opinion. I also think many here are tired of people coming onto a race specific thread full of people who are excited to complete this race and proceed to bash the concept of women's themed races and put a negative tone on the thread. I think those that disagree with having 2/3 of the run Disney 10Ks non gender specific should start their own thread and leave those that are completing this challenge to their thread.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Mickey View Post
Any idea if the 5K will be on Friday (separate from 10K like WDW weekend) or on Saturday (like Disneyland)?
I assume it'll be Friday, thus, the reason the expo is opening a day earlier.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #39
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Yes, I would be perfectly ok with it.
amen, sister
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #40
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel View Post
All right, I've finally reached my limit. Of course I think everyone has a right to their opinion. I also think many here are tired of people coming onto a race specific thread full of people who are excited to complete this race and proceed to bash the concept of women's themed races and put a negative tone on the thread. I think those that disagree with having 2/3 of the run Disney 10Ks non gender specific should start their own thread and leave those that are completing this challenge to their thread.
I am excited to do this race, but as you said, everyone has their own opinion. People can post on this thread both positive and negative, as long as it's main purpose is to talk about the topic at hand. Just cause you are running it and that person in the corner is not does not mean that person cannot discuss about the race, how it works and what happens, it's all part of an open discussion. I do not mind gender focused races, but what bothers me is that a lot of women think that this is a women only race and was originally conceived to be that way. This was never a women only race, they have always welcomed men, given coed awards and now offer male shirts. I feel not too far away from them actually giving men awards as well.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I actually think it’s nice that rD even lets men run in women-centered races. In NYC, if there’s a women’s race, you have to be a woman.
exactly. the more fitness half was women only. done. there were no men along the sidelines crying about how they couldn't race.

the fact that men are STILL complaining about this is ridiculous. i agree that it's nice that disney gives men the option of running in this race. it lets husbands and brothers and partners travel with their wives etc and still be included if they too want to run.

if men feel like 2nd place citizens because they can't run in the first few corrals at a half marathon race, then those men need a reality check. #firstworldproblems. they don't like it, ignore it. run a different race.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #42
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Thank you!!! I'm feeling the same way!!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I was going anyway- and assumed a 10K was being added--- the Special C2C is just Pink and Purple icing on the cake for me! I'm ALL IN!

But I don't expect the guys to be pleased- I get it.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #44
BRoni
Earning My Ears

Another man here. Oddly enough I too found out about Disney races when I was visiting my dad who lives in Orlando during the Princess half weekend. My dad has lived there for several years now and this is the first I've even heard of these races. I've run a few 5k's, but after finding out more info I was inspired to start running again. I'm now signed up to run the Goofy (as well as 3 local half marathons and a full) and my wife has also been inspired and is going to run the Half with me. So even men can be inspired by the races too. :P

Corral issues aside, I have no problem with the women focused races. I'll probably never run one unless my wife does, but whatever gets people active and having fun.

If they are going to add something new beyond what they already have, I'd rather just see a different challenge altogether. Some kind of a mud run, obstacles, or something similar to the zombie races that are so popular right now.

Anyway, have fun ladies!
BRoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
yep. files those posters under the i-have-way-too-much-time-on-my-hands-so-i'm-going-to-whine-about-something category.

nothing wrong with discussing the race and the positives and negatives about it. of course! but the women focused (centered, concentrated, exclusive, whatever) talk? snore.

blah blah clearly i have too much time on my hands right now too (waiting for baby to wake from his nap and don't want to do my real work).

i think the race combo sounds awesome and i just love the name! i don't think i'll be doing it in 2014. i think i will just stick to the half but 2015? i'm in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: