Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
And, the whining from the men has already begun on FB.
The men can get over themselves.

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen
And, the whining from the men has already begun on FB.
I was just coming on the post "aaaannnd queue the complaining men."

Boo hoo it's so hard to be a man and not be able to be in the first corral of a Disney race. It's not fair that there aren't a billion other races that I could do if I don't like this one. Instead I'm going to complain that Disney is just a money making racket.

Snore.

I love that it's called the Glass Slipper challenge. Cool! I will be down for the half but not sure about the 10k. Maybe! I'm doing the Dopey so I might still be tired
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

I'm totally in!! I guess there was a reason I decided not to do Dopey - I'm much more of the glass slipper kind of gal!!! I'm SO super excited!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

I'm in!!! That pink C2C is calling my name!!!!!! Now to take on a second job to help fund my runDisney addiction

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

I'm going to "officially" lurk here until I cave... er, decide. I swore "No more Princess!" after doing it this year, and I registered for the WDW Half. And later regretted not also registering for the 10K - after it was full, naturally. So, yeah - this challenge is very, very tempting...

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
The men can get over themselves.
Supposing it were reversed, and Disney did a male-centric event weekend (which they likely never will, since it's not as profitable), would you feel the same way?

I don't get what's so bad about guys (myself included) who are a bit put off by runDisney's gender bias offering their opinion on the matter.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
Supposing it were reversed, and Disney did a male-centric event weekend (which they likely never will, since it's not as profitable), would you feel the same way?

I don't get what's so bad about guys (myself included) who are a bit put off by runDisney's gender bias offering their opinion on the matter.
It's okay to feel however you want to feel. Complaining about it on social media doesn't really help. Email runDisney and ask why they don't have a pirate race or a Peter Pan race.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
Yes, I would be perfectly ok with it.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's okay to feel however you want to feel. Complaining about it on social media doesn't really help. Email runDisney and ask why they don't have a pirate race or a Peter Pan race.
It's not necessarily about expecting it to "help"; social media is about a lot of different things, one of which is sharing ideas, thoughts, and opinions. Some of us see it looking like little more than a cash grab.

Many people contacted runDisney when they announced the Tink, and I'm sure they will this time as well. Of course, we know what their reason is though, and don't really expect it to change.

To try to be fair and balanced, though, I will say that this time around, I'm far less up-in-arms, since it is a fairly logical addition to events that are already there. (Compared to last time, with lead-in marketing hype that ended up feeling like a slap in the face)

In any event, I am glad so many individuals are excited for these new events/medals, and for everyone participating, I hope they have a great time.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
Jenn310
Mouseketeer

I am in for this!! Now,to get rid of my hip bursitis so I can start training again! Ack!
Jenn310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
M likes the mouse
Mouseketeer

That glass slipper has to be mine! It would go so well with the Dumbo one..... Not so sure about the coast to coast medal... It sure is tempting but DH and I are planning on going to Africa at that time next year..... Decisions... Decisions...
Dec 08 DL, Aug 09 POP , June 10 POP, Oct 10 Beach Club, Dec 10,CBR, May 11, DLP Sequoia Lodge, Aug 11 Dolphin, Dec 2011 DL offsite, March 12 CBR, June 12 AKL, Sept 12 Beach Club, Feb 13 POR, Aug 2013 DL Disneyland Hotel, Feb 14 POR
Me: DH Simba Mitten Chloe
Run Disney addiction:
Feb 14 GSC, Aug 13 DDD, Feb 13 PHM, Sept 12 TOT 10 miler
M likes the mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I'm a woman and I completely see the male's viewpoint here. Sure, Disney can and will do whatever they want, but why is it necessary to exclude men from the 1st corrals and make them feel 2nd class? I, for one, would not be OK with a race that made women feel 2nd class.
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
I'm a woman and I completely see the male's viewpoint here. Sure, Disney can and will do whatever they want, but why is it necessary to exclude men from the 1st corrals and make them feel 2nd class? I, for one, would not be OK with a race that made women feel 2nd class.
I actually think itís nice that rD even lets men run in women-centered races. In NYC, if thereís a womenís race, you have to be a woman.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
I actually think itís nice that rD even lets men run in women-centered races. In NYC, if thereís a womenís race, you have to be a woman.
This may sound really weird, but what they do in NYC makes more sense to me. Seems like it sticks to the principle of the race. They aren't gonna treat the runners the same, so they won't take the runner's money.
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not everyone likes races elsewhere that are gender specific either, although it's far easier to overlook it in regions or from clubs that put on a far larger roster of events. In WDW, the women's event weekend is one out of something like five(?), in DL, it's one of only 2.

In the case of rD, though men are "allowed" to enter, it's usually pretty clear that's not the intended audience. I suspect even that is largely just to avoid a bigger PR backlash.

For clarity though, I'll say again that this time is far less bothersome than the Tink announcement was.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: