Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
TangerineZoe
Earning My Ears

Phone vs online dining reservations

Is there any difference/advantage to calling in vs making an online dining reservation, or calling the restaurant directly? Long shot, but we're trying to get reservations at Ohana. We have backup reservations at Kona, but wanted to give this a shot. :T
TangerineZoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No, it's the same system. Sometimes if the website isn't working properly they can help if you call, but the best way around that is (if you're doing 180 days) try the website at 6 AM eastern, and if it doesn't work then call at 7.

You can't call 'Ohana directly to make a reservation. All reservations for Disney-operated restaurants must be made through the Disney reservation service.
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
TangerineZoe
Earning My Ears

Thanks! Guess it's back to stalking for cancellations lol
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Hi TangerineZoe,

I'm going to cut & paste what I just posted on another thread, because I think it might be appropriate to what you're asking:

I was just on the phone with Disney Dining because a friend of mine was cancelling a reservation that I wanted. She told me when she cancelled, and I was on the computer with browser open and ready to go. I kept trying for several minutes, but coming up with "no times available". So I also called on the phone while continuing on with my computer. The CM at Disney Dining was able to secure the ADR - even tho the computer was still showing no availability. When I asked why, she explained that cancelled ADR's are not released to the public until 0600 the following day, but the CM's can see the cancellations immediately.

While I had such a nice CM on the phone, I asked her if she could do anything about a reservation at BOG. She explained that they were not taking any new ADR's there at least thru August. She also said they would not be taking any walk-ups for dinner thru that time. I don't know if the info is correct - and it won't keep me from trying - but that's not the first time I've heard that about BOG.

One thing you should know tho, is that the on-line reservation system opens at 0600, while the phone system doesn't start until 0700. So, if you want a particularly valuable ADR, you might want to try going online early - then calling if necessary.

Good luck!
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
TangerineZoe
Earning My Ears

Thank you! That's good to know!! Now I just need someone to cancel lol
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Even if you have to wait until 7 to call, you still have a good chance of getting what you want. Tuesday morning, I could not get the website to let me make ADRs. So, I called at 7 AM. Got everything I wanted, at the times I wanted. I even managed to get BOG.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
TangerineZoe
Earning My Ears

Stupid question, but these are all east coast times right? :P I'm either going to have to get up early or stay up late lol
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineZoe View Post
Stupid question, but these are all east coast times right? :P I'm either going to have to get up early or stay up late lol
Yes, EST.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Hi TangerineZoe,

I'm going to cut & paste what I just posted on another thread, because I think it might be appropriate to what you're asking:

I was just on the phone with Disney Dining because a friend of mine was cancelling a reservation that I wanted. She told me when she cancelled, and I was on the computer with browser open and ready to go. I kept trying for several minutes, but coming up with "no times available". So I also called on the phone while continuing on with my computer. The CM at Disney Dining was able to secure the ADR - even tho the computer was still showing no availability. When I asked why, she explained that cancelled ADR's are not released to the public until 0600 the following day, but the CM's can see the cancellations immediately.

While I had such a nice CM on the phone, I asked her if she could do anything about a reservation at BOG. She explained that they were not taking any new ADR's there at least thru August. She also said they would not be taking any walk-ups for dinner thru that time. I don't know if the info is correct - and it won't keep me from trying - but that's not the first time I've heard that about BOG.

One thing you should know tho, is that the on-line reservation system opens at 0600, while the phone system doesn't start until 0700. So, if you want a particularly valuable ADR, you might want to try going online early - then calling if necessary.

Good luck!
I don't think this is correct. I cancelled a BOG reservation this week and it appeared for booking online immediately.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineZoe View Post
Is there any difference/advantage to calling in vs making an online dining reservation, or calling the restaurant directly? Long shot, but we're trying to get reservations at Ohana. We have backup reservations at Kona, but wanted to give this a shot. :T
Normally I would say online would be faster and easier but not now with the new system. I got so fed up with the website timing out and delaying, that I now just call. As for O'Hana, don't give up since there are always people changing and cancelling ressies, I would literally keep trying daily, if you really want to dine there. Good Luck!

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I don't think this is correct. I cancelled a BOG reservation this week and it appeared for booking online immediately.
I sure hope it continues to happen that way for the rest of us still looking for those ADR's for BOG! Who knows - maybe they're just trying to discourage us? But I've been checking several times a day & have never seen an opening yet for my week...
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
angelabrezovsky
Mouseketeer

Reservations

If my day to book is on November 10th, thats our first day there, when will I be ble to book the reservation? 180 days out or 190 days out if I am staying on property?

June 2010- POFQ November 2013- ALL STAR MUSIC May 2015- ALL STAR MUSIC

me (27) DD (8) DD (6)
angelabrezovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelabrezovsky View Post
If my day to book is on November 10th, thats our first day there, when will I be ble to book the reservation? 180 days out or 190 days out if I am staying on property?
Your first day to book an ADR is 180 days before your check in date. At that time your will be able to book ADR's for the remaining days of your stay up to ten days. So if your stay is ten days long or less you can make ADR's for all the days of your stay. If your stay is more than ten days long, then you would have to call back later to get ADR's for those later days.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
DisneyAggieMom
Earning My Ears

Differences

When I called in to make ADR, they said that for larger parties, sometimes the online system will split you between two tables. So, I always call to be sure that we are all seated at the same table...I would have been very disappointed if half of our party was across the restaurant!
DisneyAggieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I concur. I coordinated with someone who was cancelling BoG, and I was able to snag the ADR online immediately.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL), Feb15(OKW). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: