Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
BraythansMom
SAHM that loves making bows & going to Disney World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys
My youngest liked having a cheap MP3 player with "his" songs on it - he'd sit there and listen for awhile before getting bored with it.

I second the "magna-doodle" suggestion - get a decent one, though, not the cheapo ones - they don't work worth a flip.

You can get a lap table that goes over his legs and draw roads and such on it and give him some new Matchbox cars.

When my kids were little, I bought "shower organizer" type baskets that are meant for college kids toting to the dorm bathrooms and wrote their names on them. They could put whatever they wanted to play with in there and it kept the items fairly contained. These particular ones came from Target and had solid bottoms, were oval and had a handle across the middle.

Our kids watch a lot of movies when we travel; the oldest gets a headache when he reads in the car and the youngest doesn't like reading enough yet to want to do it in the car. They play on their iPods and DS-es some, too, but a lot of movies get watched. Thank goodness for headphones!
I love the organizer idea! That would go over really well with him too lol... He loves packing his own bag! Thank you

Me (Krystie) DH DS age 2.5
6/6-6/19/2013 (my son's 2nd), 6/2-6/10/2012 (my son's 1st), 3/11/2008, 6/10/2005, 7/22/2003, 5/3/2001, 6/5/1998, 7/15/1997, 6/11/1995, 3/14/1994, 3/12/1993, 6/19/1992, 3/23/1990
BraythansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

We have a 17 hr drive from here to Tampa (we're visiting a friend prior to WDW) and our plan is to drive from 7 or 8p, through the night. DS (2.5 as well) sleeps usually until around 7ish in the morning, so we're hoping we only have to fill a few hours.

I've planned to get some color wonder books, the old iphone with games, and his leappad2 (complete with some new games) to fill the remainder of the time.

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Disney2013Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
kbnmommy
Dreaming of DW...

We drive every trip (7 hours or so). We first went when my youngest was 2 as well. I start packing a "Disney car bag" months in advance. Anything I find at the dollar tree, target, or walmart goes in here. It is almost all Disney themed and can entertain them both ways of the trip. It's a pretty big bag, lol!!! Some things I have inside are color wonder marker sets, colored pencils and new coloring books, play doh (a little messy, but...), stamps and paper, stickers (which I later had to peel off my car and windows...), snack (many, many snacks), DVDs, Nintendo DSs, iPods, books (for me to read out loud), these little Disney activity packs from Walmart that cost $1 and included a book, a couple crayons, and some stickers (we tossed the crayons after use at a bathroom stop before they could melt), those magic reveal books, magna doodles, mini travel games, go-fish and old maid, etc. You get the idea. I have control of the bag at all times so the girls aren't getting everything out (my husband drives). We have also left home at 3:30 am our time, and 7pm our time. That way the girls can sleep most of the way. They also bring a pillow pet and a blanket each. The wear pjs in the car too. The car trip has never been a huge issue.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
klavven
Earning My Ears

We drive every June from Michigan with our two children. This year they are 2.5 and 4.5. The best piece of advice I can give is to be patient! A normal bathroom stop may take 30 minutes.

We do a lot of things that others have already suggested. Baskets for the car with toys, coloring, etc. We also gather special "prizes" for the car - we give them out every two or three hours depending on how their behavior is, etc.

We have a DVD player in our car and they watch a lot of movies. We also try to stop for lunch/dinner at places that are more kid "Friendly" and/or those that have a play area. We keep a blanket in the car - for an impromptu snack break at a rest area. I'm not going to lie - we eat at McDonalds/Burger King/Chick-Fil-a - anywhere that they can get out and play for an hour. THe more energy they burn off -the better the car ride.

In previous years we've left between 1-3pm. We try to stop around Cincinnatti (about 4-5 hours) - have dinner and get ice cream (our favorite ice cream place is there). We then get pajamas on and hope for them to fall asleep after their movie. My husband loves to drive at night -so he'll drive until 2-3am. We find a reputable hotel - sleep, shower, eat breakfast, and try to be on the road again by 9 or 10am.

It ends up being two full days of driving for us. Good luck with your trip!!
klavven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klavven View Post
We drive every June from Michigan with our two children. This year they are 2.5 and 4.5. The best piece of advice I can give is to be patient! A normal bathroom stop may take 30 minutes.

We do a lot of things that others have already suggested. Baskets for the car with toys, coloring, etc. We also gather special "prizes" for the car - we give them out every two or three hours depending on how their behavior is, etc.

We have a DVD player in our car and they watch a lot of movies. We also try to stop for lunch/dinner at places that are more kid "Friendly" and/or those that have a play area. We keep a blanket in the car - for an impromptu snack break at a rest area. I'm not going to lie - we eat at McDonalds/Burger King/Chick-Fil-a - anywhere that they can get out and play for an hour. THe more energy they burn off -the better the car ride.

In previous years we've left between 1-3pm. We try to stop around Cincinnati (about 4-5 hours) - have dinner and get ice cream (our favorite ice cream place is there). We then get pajamas on and hope for them to fall asleep after their movie. My husband loves to drive at night -so he'll drive until 2-3am. We find a reputable hotel - sleep, shower, eat breakfast, and try to be on the road again by 9 or 10am.

It ends up being two full days of driving for us. Good luck with your trip!!
Graeters? (Sp?) If so, delish! We go to Cincinnati at least once a year and that's a must-stop.

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Disney2013Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Meshell2002
DIS Veteran

you've gotton some great advice...I second the not pulling out the dvds immediately....it does help stretch the novelty of it. Also the color wonder books and markers....perfect for younger kids you don't trust yet with regular markers

I always wrap little prizes for good behavior and pass them back during the trip...this includes little snacks, dollar store toys, figures, activity books, for the little ones it used to be little people.....believe it or not the items don't HAVE to be new.....my kids just like to open stuff....so I wrap the stuff in tin foil (no tape needed).....I used some things from around the house and some things from the party section of target/ walmart (like sticky lizards, stretchy bracelets, ect.).

We also play I Spy in the Car.....at dark we even will use glo sticks....and we bring extra for the parks anyway.

good luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Green View Post
But my DD really wouldn't fall asleep if a movie was on, which made for some tired whiny moments.
At 2, my kids were still napping. We watched a movie in the AM, stopped somewhere with a play area for lunch, and then got back in the car. After lunch was quiet time with no movie, and the kids would fall asleep & nap pretty decently. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

I didn't read all of the answers so forgive me if some are duplicates. Here is what worked when my kids were little.

Aquadoodle
Pipe cleaners
Post it notes and a pencil (could never see the huge attraction but my kids loved these)
Cookie sheet with magnets
Son loved little people and their vehicles at that age(drove them on his cookie sheet, lol)
Matchbox cars
Lots of snacks
Lollipops as a treat when they get really antsy
Sticker books
Coloring pages I print out with colored pencils (crayons melt on your cars eats we found out the hard way)
Playing I spy
We tried to save the DVDs for when nothing else worked or it got too dark for the kids to do anything else.
If we were driving past dark, we brought some spinning light up toys
Beach ball for rest stops

We also either packed lunch in a cooler or picked up fast food to eat in the car. We would stop for a break and let the kids run and play either at a rest stop or at a McDonald's with a play area but then feed them in the car. This way they got some exercise and eating while driving took up some of the boring drive time.

Oh, just thought of one more tip, we always left around 4:00 am the first day of driving. We'd put the kids in the car in their pjs and they would stay awake out of excitement for a while but then they'd take a good long nap! I'd also suggest trying together as much of the driving done the first day and doing less the second day rather than breaking it up evenly. Everyone has more patience the first day.

Last edited by bartleby1; 05-11-2013 at 10:36 AM.
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, driving, toddler, travel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: