Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
BraythansMom
SAHM that loves making bows & going to Disney World!
 
BraythansMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield, MO area
Posts: 37

Smile Tips for the drive to Disney with 2.5 year old...

We are leaving for Disney in June and I am trying to find tips on things to bring or buy to help entertain my 2.5 year old son for two 10 hr stretches. I checked the forums and couldn't find anything current.

We have a portable DVD player and have lots of DvDs he loves so I'm hoping that will help for some of it. He loves Mickey, Jake from the neverland pirates, Handy Manny...

Is there anything you bought or took (or wish you had taken) that were great at making a happy kiddo?

Any tips are much appreciated, thank you!
__________________


Me (Krystie) DH DS age 2.5
6/6-6/19/2013 (my son's 2nd), 6/2-6/10/2012 (my son's 1st), 3/11/2008, 6/10/2005, 7/22/2003, 5/3/2001, 6/5/1998, 7/15/1997, 6/11/1995, 3/14/1994, 3/12/1993, 6/19/1992, 3/23/1990
BraythansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
mommy-3
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 116

We did that a couple years ago. We drove from northern Indiana to WDW. I will say, we left at 2:30PM and drove straight through the night. We pulled into ASSp at 7:30AM

I would not allow the kids to start a movie right away, they had to find something else to keep them busy. A couple hours in we stopped to eat and potty and played some ball to get them moving. Then we stopped and potty. I had popped some popcorn and turned the movie on for them. They loved movie night in the van!

I had a tote of snacks and a cooler for drinks. They could have a treat once an hour. Otherwise we would have been out before we got to Kentucky.

My littlest one liked little characters to play with, stickers and paper, and pipe cleaners the best.
mommy-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Cobern
DIS Veteran
 
Cobern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Clewiston, Fl
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraythansMom View Post
We are leaving for Disney in June and I am trying to find tips on things to bring or buy to help entertain my 2.5 year old son for two 10 hr stretches. I checked the forums and couldn't find anything current.

We have a portable DVD player and have lots of DvDs he loves so I'm hoping that will help for some of it. He loves Mickey, Jake from the neverland pirates, Handy Manny...

Is there anything you bought or took (or wish you had taken) that were great at making a happy kiddo?

Any tips are much appreciated, thank you!
I don't know how responsible your child is but I saw at Target some window markers. They say they come right off with soap and water (I am assuming windex). I debated for my almost 3 year old daughter, but she doesn't listen very well on drawing boundaries (hence sharpie on our wall). Also my 13 month old son would pitch a fit if sister had something he wanted.

I also give my daughter my iPad, there is a jake app she loves on there and some other ones. We also talk about what we see out the windows, she naps some. Check the dollar bins at Target. My kids love just opening and closing things and putting stuff in containers. Maybe some pencil type cases and beads (if he isn't a chewer). My daughter could do that for like an hour. She also takes her Jake figurines and plays in her car set with them. She has a large one with dual cup holders and she has a blast!
__________________
Disney Trips
May 2013 - POR Royal riverview room
January 2014 - AKV Kidani 2 bedroom savanna view
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Cobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Mrs Green
Mouseketeer
 
Mrs Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 197

We've done several road trips with our now 4yo DD. Your child may entertain him/herself quite well for portions of the trip. Might even fall asleep! But my DD really wouldn't fall asleep if a movie was on, which made for some tired whiny moments. We would play games to find things outside the car. DD also loves stories daddy tells. Snacks are important of course. Coloring books, like those color wonder things work well in the car. Buy a few new things to surprise him/her with along the way for new distractions. Good luck with your drive; I hope it goes well!
Mrs Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Freesia123
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,011

Do a search for busy bags. You can make all kinds if little activities that can pass the time , from beading to Popsicle sticks with Velcro to coloured clothespin that you have to match or sequence. Very handy!
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Freesia123
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,011

Stories on cd are also a huge hit with my girls!
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
brhalstea
The Dismeister
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 61

We gave our 2 year old blank sheets of paper and about a thousand stickers! Could not believe how entertained it kept her!
brhalstea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
BraythansMom
SAHM that loves making bows & going to Disney World!
 
BraythansMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield, MO area
Posts: 37

Wow!!

Amazing ideas everyone!! Thank you!!
__________________


Me (Krystie) DH DS age 2.5
6/6-6/19/2013 (my son's 2nd), 6/2-6/10/2012 (my son's 1st), 3/11/2008, 6/10/2005, 7/22/2003, 5/3/2001, 6/5/1998, 7/15/1997, 6/11/1995, 3/14/1994, 3/12/1993, 6/19/1992, 3/23/1990
BraythansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,504

Both of ours used the draw and erase doodle boards like crazy for years.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
samacita
Mouseketeer
 
samacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Both of ours used the draw and erase doodle boards like crazy for years.
I second this idea. Magna Doodles are life savers on road trips!!!
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!
 
Claire&TheBoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 5,786

My youngest liked having a cheap MP3 player with "his" songs on it - he'd sit there and listen for awhile before getting bored with it.

I second the "magna-doodle" suggestion - get a decent one, though, not the cheapo ones - they don't work worth a flip.

You can get a lap table that goes over his legs and draw roads and such on it and give him some new Matchbox cars.

When my kids were little, I bought "shower organizer" type baskets that are meant for college kids toting to the dorm bathrooms and wrote their names on them. They could put whatever they wanted to play with in there and it kept the items fairly contained. These particular ones came from Target and had solid bottoms, were oval and had a handle across the middle.

Our kids watch a lot of movies when we travel; the oldest gets a headache when he reads in the car and the youngest doesn't like reading enough yet to want to do it in the car. They play on their iPods and DS-es some, too, but a lot of movies get watched. Thank goodness for headphones!
__________________
Claire Married 17 years to With (12) and (8)

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
justthe6ofus
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 60

Pipe cleaners are a great idea! My 3-year old gets pretty antsy in the car and is best occupied by things he isn't normally allowed to do much - like play games on an old iPhone. We also have more learning-related games on a Leap Pad and a MobiGo (he has three older siblings and these are hand-me-down toys).

My oldest two get very carsick if they try to read in the car (huge bummer) so we will watch a good amount of movies. I found DVD's of older 90's Disney Afternoon cartoons (DuckTales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers) for about $9 a season on Amazon. I've bought those and will hide them until we go. Then it's brand new but still Disney-related! (I will be shunning all non-Disney music and movies while on vacation, ha.)

Things that take a long time to eat, like lollipops, can kill some time, but I know those can be a safety concern especially in the car. A great idea I saw on Pinterest was to make a "necklace" by threading lots of "circle" foods (cereals, dried fruit) onto a yarn or string. The child can wear or just hold it, but the process of biting the food off the string takes more time. It sounds kind of crazy, but might work really well!
__________________
After several trips as a kid, I'm going with my kids for the first time in 2013!!
justthe6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
rjb123
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 77

our trip is much shorter, but we always drive to Disney. In total it is about 9 hours door to door. I do the DVD player and movies (maybe do a movie schedule and "countdown" of sorts- like plan the number of movies, put them in a certain order and then when he hits "cars" for example he knows this is the last movie before you get there!) We also do coloring books and crayons, special surprises from the dollar store (get something every few hours). Snacks are a must do, along with leap pad, books, etc. the last time we went we actually left home at 6 ish and drove over night until we got there. It was long and late but I was working nights at the time (I am a nurse) so I was used to being awake then and it was easy driving. plus the kids slept!
Anywho, good luck and best wishes for a safe and easy trip!
rjb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
BraythansMom
SAHM that loves making bows & going to Disney World!
 
BraythansMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield, MO area
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb123
our trip is much shorter, but we always drive to Disney. In total it is about 9 hours door to door. I do the DVD player and movies (maybe do a movie schedule and "countdown" of sorts- like plan the number of movies, put them in a certain order and then when he hits "cars" for example he knows this is the last movie before you get there!) We also do coloring books and crayons, special surprises from the dollar store (get something every few hours). Snacks are a must do, along with leap pad, books, etc. the last time we went we actually left home at 6 ish and drove over night until we got there. It was long and late but I was working nights at the time (I am a nurse) so I was used to being awake then and it was easy driving. plus the kids slept!
Anywho, good luck and best wishes for a safe and easy trip!
Thank you! I love the dollar store treats every hour!
__________________


Me (Krystie) DH DS age 2.5
6/6-6/19/2013 (my son's 2nd), 6/2-6/10/2012 (my son's 1st), 3/11/2008, 6/10/2005, 7/22/2003, 5/3/2001, 6/5/1998, 7/15/1997, 6/11/1995, 3/14/1994, 3/12/1993, 6/19/1992, 3/23/1990
BraythansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
BraythansMom
SAHM that loves making bows & going to Disney World!
 
BraythansMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield, MO area
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus
Pipe cleaners are a great idea! My 3-year old gets pretty antsy in the car and is best occupied by things he isn't normally allowed to do much - like play games on an old iPhone. We also have more learning-related games on a Leap Pad and a MobiGo (he has three older siblings and these are hand-me-down toys).

My oldest two get very carsick if they try to read in the car (huge bummer) so we will watch a good amount of movies. I found DVD's of older 90's Disney Afternoon cartoons (DuckTales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers) for about $9 a season on Amazon. I've bought those and will hide them until we go. Then it's brand new but still Disney-related! (I will be shunning all non-Disney music and movies while on vacation, ha.)

Things that take a long time to eat, like lollipops, can kill some time, but I know those can be a safety concern especially in the car. A great idea I saw on Pinterest was to make a "necklace" by threading lots of "circle" foods (cereals, dried fruit) onto a yarn or string. The child can wear or just hold it, but the process of biting the food off the string takes more time. It sounds kind of crazy, but might work really well!
Ooo great ideas! I'll look that up! Thank you
__________________


Me (Krystie) DH DS age 2.5
6/6-6/19/2013 (my son's 2nd), 6/2-6/10/2012 (my son's 1st), 3/11/2008, 6/10/2005, 7/22/2003, 5/3/2001, 6/5/1998, 7/15/1997, 6/11/1995, 3/14/1994, 3/12/1993, 6/19/1992, 3/23/1990
BraythansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disney, driving, toddler, travel



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.