DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
mollyseven
DIS Veteran

Why not buy points at the cheapest DVC...?

I am wondering why wouldn't it make sense to just purchase points (resale) at Vero Beach or HH which are like 40-55 dollars per point instead of say 70-100 a point for other resorts. I mean if once you get the points you can stay anywhere you want then why not buy the cheapest price per point? What am i missing.
Even old key west is cheaper than AKL.
help....

May 2006 Pop Century.......January 2007 CBR.......January 2008....CBR No kids!!!!
March 2008 POR..10 days!!.....Christmas 2008 CSR grand gathering !!!
March 2010 POFQ Italy summer 2010 Universal Hard Rock Dec. 2010
Dolphin Resort April 2011 Star Wars Weekend May 2011
Christmas 2012 CBR Jan. 30/2014 Riverside!!
mollyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
palhockeymomof2
DIS Veteran

We have our points at BWV so we can book either standard or boardwalk view rooms at the 11 month mark durning the food and wine festival....they are rarely open at 7 months..so points at another resort would not work for us.
palhockeymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
mollyseven
DIS Veteran

well i spoke to dvc guy today and only AKL or Aulani are open for points right now. 145.00 per point.
Our first choice was BWV but he said it doesn't matter where we stay we don't ever have to stay at AKL we can stay anywhere once we own the points.
So, at 7 month mark we would probably not get christmas at our resort of choice either I am guessing.....so it does matter where your home resort is.

May 2006 Pop Century.......January 2007 CBR.......January 2008....CBR No kids!!!!
March 2008 POR..10 days!!.....Christmas 2008 CSR grand gathering !!!
March 2010 POFQ Italy summer 2010 Universal Hard Rock Dec. 2010
Dolphin Resort April 2011 Star Wars Weekend May 2011
Christmas 2012 CBR Jan. 30/2014 Riverside!!
mollyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
elfbo
DIS Veteran

The maintenance fees at Vero Beach are about 2$ more per point than the on site locations. With a 40$ per point buy in compared to 70$ per point. At 15 years, or less, the savings you got from buying the lower points is negated by higher MFs.

Also, you will only be able to book the on site locations at the 7 month window. If you plan to stay at any of the busy times, Holidays, Spring Break... you may have trouble booking what you want.

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
elfbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyseven View Post
well i spoke to dvc guy today and only AKL or Aulani are open for points right now. 145.00 per point.
Our first choice was BWV but he said it doesn't matter where we stay we don't ever have to stay at AKL we can stay anywhere once we own the points.
So, at 7 month mark we would probably not get christmas at our resort of choice either I am guessing.....so it does matter where your home resort is.
If you arent in a hurry for the points, you can have them waitlist you for a direct purchase at BWVs, or you can try to find the contract you want via resales (which would save you money, but does come with some restrictions ...which dont bother a lot of people).

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
JessLCH
DIS Veteran

See the thread I started below about asking about purchasing resale at Vero Beach. The main reason not to seems to be the very high per point annual dues. Someone posted a chart on the projected escalating annual dues on that thread. Frankly, that was enough to convince me that, for the most part, buying into DVC (or any timeshare for that matter) is a bad value. When we travel (not just to Disney/Orlando) we regularly stay at timeshare resorts rented through owners or directly through the managing agent, and never have to worry about season, points, annual dues, or being limited to certain locations. But some people seem to have a stronger emotional attachment to "owning" a piece of the magic.

Another reason is, lack of availability at the 7 month window if you want something very specific or travel during busy times.

All that said, if I could get a decent price on a certain amount of points at AKV, I might consider buying since it is such a unique property and I am quite certain I would be able to use it regularly or rent the points out. Someone said, "Only buy where you wwant to stay" and I get that now. I have been talked out of Vero Beach entirely.

As an adult with the kids...
Wilderness Lodge Villas (2/07, 2/09, 12/13)
Grand Californian Villas (8/10)
Saratoga Springs Resort (11/11)
Disney Dream (2/12)
Royal Pacific Resort Universal ( 2/12)
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential (11/12)
Disneyland Hotel (8/13)
Bay Lake Tower (10/13, 11/14)
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (1/14)
Aulani (8/14)
JessLCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
crisi
DIS Veteran

You can only stay where you want subject to availability. Some resorts and some times of year are very popular and are difficult to book unless you own there. Some members own points at all the resorts they want to book at regularly in order to avoid this issue. Others book home and switch if they want and it's available at seven months, still others roll the dice. It depends on what is important to you and what you can afford.

But with vero, don't forget the expensive dues. If you want a value, ssr is a better deal.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLCH View Post
Another reason is, lack of availability at the 7 month window if you want something very specific or travel during busy times.
I think this is the key point. Most people state "buy where you want to stay". Well, I was lazy and forgot to book our "Thanksgiving" trip. The 7month window just opened up and I can't get 5 straight nights at BWV (where I own!!!) . I could do 4 nights then move, but what a pain. I've wait listed, but our other option is AKV, OKW, or SSR. :
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
kenspidey
Mouseketeer

I think a point is being missed about buying at Vero though especially if you are financing the purchase of a timeshare. You can buy in to a DVC for a lot less than any where else and sure you will be back to even if 15 years or so but that a lot of vacations in the mean time. If you are financing Vero may make sense even if you don't want to stay there. For me it makes sense because I Want to stay there and I want the 11 month window for those cabins.
kenspidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
lchute1158
Mouseketeer

I am not completely turned off of vb for cheaper points. It's 8 years for the mf to catch up... That's alot of vacation time. I check 7 month or less the times we would normally use and they had available rooms... So... If you want Christmas or food and wine or you just love a resort then maybe... But I don't think the mf should be the deal breaker

Disney Fantasy January 25, 2014 (45th birthday cruise!), Disney Wonder May 17, 2014 (Weekend Getaway), Disney Dream Feb 24, 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland 2011, WDW x4, DLR CA x100 plus (Annual Pass Holder)(frequent visitor since 1969)
DVC Owner - AUL, VGC, HHI

lchute1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
JessLCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenspidey View Post
I think a point is being missed about buying at Vero though especially if you are financing the purchase of a timeshare. You can buy in to a DVC for a lot less than any where else and sure you will be back to even if 15 years or so but that a lot of vacations in the mean time. If you are financing Vero may make sense even if you don't want to stay there. For me it makes sense because I Want to stay there and I want the 11 month window for those cabins.
I cannot see ANY rationale for financing a timeshare ever.

As an adult with the kids...
Wilderness Lodge Villas (2/07, 2/09, 12/13)
Grand Californian Villas (8/10)
Saratoga Springs Resort (11/11)
Disney Dream (2/12)
Royal Pacific Resort Universal ( 2/12)
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential (11/12)
Disneyland Hotel (8/13)
Bay Lake Tower (10/13, 11/14)
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (1/14)
Aulani (8/14)
JessLCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
kenspidey
Mouseketeer

kenspidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
lchute1158
Mouseketeer

I want to use the points at aulani and not pay aulani prices. I don't stay during peak holidays. Nor am I going to wdw that often, when I do its for a few days before or after a cruise so my newly acquired 60 point OKW will cover that. So I think it will be good to get 8 cheaper years of vacation out of 150 points

Disney Fantasy January 25, 2014 (45th birthday cruise!), Disney Wonder May 17, 2014 (Weekend Getaway), Disney Dream Feb 24, 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland 2011, WDW x4, DLR CA x100 plus (Annual Pass Holder)(frequent visitor since 1969)
DVC Owner - AUL, VGC, HHI

Last edited by lchute1158; 04-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
lchute1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

It's getting more difficult to book a non-home resort. Especially if you want a week or more. If you wouldn't mind part of a week in one resort or villa size and the rest of the week in another resort, you would probably be okay.

There are still a few times of the year when it is fairly easy to get something at seven months out, like early May, early September (not including Labor Day).

But if your goal is to always stay at WDW, you really want to own at a WDW resort. So you can book your home resort at 11 months out and try to swap it out at seven months out. If your home resort is VB, you might be spending more time at VB than you really want to. But if you want the Beach Cottage at VB, you want to have VB points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
It's getting more difficult to book a non-home resort. Especially if you want a week or more. If you wouldn't mind part of a week in one resort or villa size and the rest of the week in another resort, you would probably be okay.

There are still a few times of the year when it is fairly easy to get something at seven months out, like early May, early September (not including Labor Day).

But if your goal is to always stay at WDW, you really want to own at a WDW resort. So you can book your home resort at 11 months out and try to swap it out at seven months out. If your home resort is VB, you might be spending more time at VB than you really want to. But if you want the Beach Cottage at VB, you want to have VB points.
I totally agree. I am finding it very difficult to try to book a solid week everywhere except SSR (and sometimes even there...) after 7 months out. At least without waitlisting.

Luckily, we are very happy with our home resort and don't mind if we have to stay only there. We are also in the process of adding on at our other favorite resort so we can alternate stays at busier times when we know we can't book elsewhere.

I understand that the whole "flexibility" thing is Disney's hook, but it's definitely not as easy as the guides make it out to be. I am becoming more and more of a preacher of buy where you want to stay, at least buy where you wouldn't mind staying.

My question is, will it become more difficult or less difficult to book after VGF and (unofficial, I know...) Poly DVC are available? Pros: More rooms to fill Cons: More members to accomodate.

rusafee1183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: