DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

Do you use your Disney rewards to pay your dues?

I remember reading about that on here once. I plan to use my rewards every year to pay my dues so after the initial purchase price it should theoretically costs us nothing for the room every year...if it works out right.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

I use our Disney Rewards Visa to pay dues at the beginning of the year. It cannot be used for the monthly payment option. We have the Premier card, so we get 2% back in Disney Reward dollars. We do enough other shopping with that card to more than cover the annual fee for the Premier card.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Rewards are turned into a gift card that times out. To me it doesn't matter what you spend the "rewards" on, money is money. I prefer programs that don't lock me into a company like Disney. Reward programs that pay cash are much more flexible.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
I remember reading about that on here once. I plan to use my rewards every year to pay my dues so after the initial purchase price it should theoretically costs us nothing for the room every year...if it works out right.
It's not a one for one return is it? Unless it is how would it be free dues? If so I need to sign up for one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Rewards are turned into a gift card that times out. To me it doesn't matter what you spend the "rewards" on, money is money. I prefer programs that don't lock me into a company like Disney. Reward programs that pay cash are much more flexible.

Bill
This has always been my thought. I use a card that gives cash back on every purchase and then I just use it to pay towards the card balance thus I use it towards whatever I buy.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=KAT4DISNEY;48190238]It's not a one for one return is it? Unless it is how would it be free dues? If so I need to sign up for one!

Basically I have the premier rewards card so I earn about $750 or so a year in rewards, the maintenance fees are about that for the points I am looking at ... so you can use your rewards to pay the fees then?

I have the card also because we get 6 months 0% financing to pay for our trip each year, right now I use the rewards to pay for our park tickets each trip.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I used the Disney Rewards card/dollars towards my dvc dues every year.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

I have this card, but then after my first "redemption" and realized I have to call a # to get a card that I had to pick up at DTD to load the points that I can only use at Disney... sucks.

I still keep it because it's free and gets some perks (free photo, 0% financing for 6 months). But, when offered the Primiere version for 2%, I declined.

I prefer to use my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card that earns 2% on any Travel and Dining and I can use it for anything (money, airfare, hotel, etc).

Either that or pay using prepaid DisneyCards from Target, at 5% discount (10% if you have are an employee or have the Pharmacy card).
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Yes, you can use your rewards to pay your MFs.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
Basically I have the premier rewards card so I earn about $750 or so a year in rewards, the maintenance fees are about that for the points I am looking at ... so you can use your rewards to pay the fees then?

I have the card also because we get 6 months 0% financing to pay for our trip each year, right now I use the rewards to pay for our park tickets each trip.
I don't know if the actual Rewards Dollars can be used to pay the annual dues, although you could call DVC to find out. My guess is that you would have to transfer the credits to a Rewards card and then have them use that card to charge your dues.

Our dues are high enough that our 2% return by charging the dues on the Visa almost covers the cost of the card. Everything above that is rewards money that is free and clear. We like accumulating our rewards to pay for souvenirs and meals during our annual visit. I don't mind having a rewards program attached to Disney at this point in time, since I know we will be going every year and will use the points for expenses during the trip. We have other rewards programs that are cash back programs, as well. This just feels like free Disney money to us!!!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Last edited by Kidanifan08; 04-23-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: more info
Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
fortheloveofminnie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
I have this card, but then after my first "redemption" and realized I have to call a # to get a card that I had to pick up at DTD to load the points that I can only use at Disney... sucks.
I have a Disney Rewards Visa and I have always ordered my redemption card online and had it sent to me in the mail. Yes, it must be used on a variety of Disney things, but it doesn't have to be used just in the parks.

We also were considering paying our dues with our redemption card (not the Visa itself). For those that do this, do you use your redemption card or do buy Disney gift cards with your redemption card and use those?
fortheloveofminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

We use our Disney Rewards for our park passes. I used Disney Giftcards purchased at Target in December (see this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032292) to pay my dues.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofminnie View Post

I have a Disney Rewards Visa and I have always ordered my redemption card online and had it sent to me in the mail. Yes, it must be used on a variety of Disney things, but it doesn't have to be used just in the parks.
True, this can be done but it's still a hassle to wait for the card first vs immediate gratification/use of other reward cards.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofminnie View Post
.....(snip).......We also were considering paying our dues with our redemption card (not the Visa itself). For those that do this, do you use your redemption card or do buy Disney gift cards with your redemption card and use those?
I use the reward dollars to pay a portion of our annual dues. It is easy to order the redemption card online and to online transfer the reward dollars to it.

The redemption cards do have an expiration date, so you need to watch that. When it expires, any remaining reward dollars that were transferred to the card also expire. I just make sure I have a current card before I transfer dollars to it. I usually transfer dollars a few days before I plan to call Member Accounting.

You have to call Member Accounting to use the reward dollars for your annual fees and as already noted, you must be paying dues in a lump sum.

I have also purchased gift cards (at Target to get a 5% discount and/or to take advantage of any promotions) and applied those to our dues. I do not use the rewards card to purchase the gift cards.

Alas, I usually still have to give them additional money to get them paid! Use the Disney Visa for that.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
I have also purchased gift cards (at Target to get a 5% discount and/or to take advantage of any promotions) and applied those to our dues. I do not use the rewards card to purchase the gift cards.
If Target allows the purchase of "Entertainment Cards" under the December promo again I will associate my debit card with Target to get an extra 5% off the cards, and therefor, my dues .
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
If Target allows the purchase of "Entertainment Cards" under the December promo again I will associate my debit card with Target to get an extra 5% off the cards, and therefor, my dues .
You don't need a promo for this. the 5% discount with a Target RED Card already includes Entertainment Cards. So as long as you have a RED Card, you get Disney Gift Cards at 5% off.

Not sure what promo you meant, but the December promo I remember was the Friends and Family coupon that gave out $10 for every $50 purchase.
June 2014 HHI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: