Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
mommato4
Mouseketeer

Desert inn & photopass plus

Have you stayed there? Was it ok? We've stayed at the Stovalls inn and then Ramada twice. But I need a big suite and this is right across the street! We're going the week before Christmas!

Also is it worth it to get the photopass plus before we go?
mommato4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Desert Inn has been fine for us. We've stayed there several times and have reservations there again in September. If you're planning on buying the CD, I would definitely recommend preordering the PP+ so you can get the ride photos and photo packages (if you do a character meal) for no additional cost. Whether this is worth it varies from person to person, but with a large group, you'll likely get enough photos to make it worth it.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
joeysmommy
DIS Veteran

We have not stayed at Desert Inn but did stay at the sister hotel the Del Sol Inn.
After our bad experience (bugs, rude manager, rude District manager) I would choose to stay anywhere except those two hotels.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
disney4cam
Mouseketeer

I recommend doing a search on the hotel. There is a lot of information about it - good and bad. Personally, I would never go there again, but a lot of people have had good experiences.
disney4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommato4 View Post

Also is it worth it to get the photopass plus before we go?
Well considering its $69 if you pre order and $99 if you wait to buy it in the parks I would say yes, IMO it is worth it.

Here is a great article/review that goes into the details of what makes it worth it ... only you can decide if its a good deal for your group and how you tour.
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/08...s-plus-review/

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Desert Inn and were very happy there. If you're expecting a nice hotel, you will be disappointed. If you're expecting a bare bones motel, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have some pics in my trip report. The rooms were very clean, large, well-lit and so close to the parks for a great price.

We were very happy with our PhotoPass+ order. Got over 200 pics before editing/borders/etc. Really depends on how much value you place in that and how often you're going to stop and do pics, do meet and greets, do rides with photos, etc. But, if you are going to do the +, definitely pre-order. There's no point in getting it there and paying extra.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at Desert Inn the last 3 years, each time in their largest C-2 Family Suites. We're a pretty large group so we actually get two of those suites. We have been very happy there and have no real complaints other than tight parking (though we always get a spot) and a slow elevator. Its always been very clean, quiet as any other motel, we have a view of the fireworks from our room and the breakfast is small but at least its something. Everyone is different but I know that we've been happy there.

And as for photopass + its worth it to us as we always do 2 character meals and I always order the photopass cd anyway. If you plan on doing any characer dining, buying any ride photos or buying the photopass CD or any pics, then I think its worth it to just preorder the photopass+.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
profa
Mouseketeer

Yes and Yes. Stayed at DIS twice. It was great. Management was helpful and pleasant and the location perfect. Very light breakfast gets you started. We stayed in a C suite.

I highy recommend the PP+ I think it is completely worth it and even more so if you plan to do a character meal, we did two last time - one as family and one for DD and I.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
smallsteps
Earning My Ears

We'll be checking into DI&S tomorrow and can let you know. I'm not sure what you expect out of a hotel/motel, but we are the type of people where we are happy as long as it's clean, has enough space and fits our needs (in this case, very close to the parks and a good price were 2 big things we were looking for). Beyond that, we are not overly picky. Oh, and we are not planning to eat breakfast there...it's pretty bare bones from what I hear.

I used to be a health inspector so I do have a habit of checking the mattress and drawers for bed bugs. I also remove the blankets as most hotels/motels only wash them every few MONTHS. They are required to wash the sheets so those are the only things that stay on the bed. We bring our own blankets.
smallsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

We stayed there in a suite (I can't remember what it was called but it was the one with 2 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths) in November 2011. Nothing fancy but it was clean, the staff was pleasant and the price and location couldn't be beat.

The breakfast is pretty plain; toast, pastries, fruit and a couple of choices of cereal (non sugar types), etc. However, we brought a couple of items from home to supplement it and it worked out well for us.

The pool is indoors, which worked out really well for us in November with the weather being cooler. Since you are going before Christmas this will probably work out for you as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: