Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Will you shift your dates? - August discounts

I know there have been several threads discussing whether people will cancel if no FD is offered for late summer/fall, but how many of you will shift your dates if it is offered at a different time than you are currently booked?

As of right now, all the predictions seem to be pointing to the next promo starting the week of August 25th. The current promo ends the 14th, leaving a ten day gap of potentially no discounts of any kind. This seems odd to me, especially since there hasn't been a gap all summer, but assuming there will be one, what will you do?

We are going August 18-27 and our dates are set in stone - there's no way we can switch them now as air is booked, time off from work is set and my youngest DS has orientation for school starting on the 29th. I'm still crossing my fingers Disney will not allow a ten day gap in discounts, but we're going either way.

How about your plans?

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

My friend and I are planning a quick visit August 22nd/23rd-26th (She will likely arrive earlier in the day on the 22nd, but my flight won't be getting into MCO until 11:40PM), but we haven't booked anything yet in the hopes of a discount coming out.

Right now, flights are a little more expensive the following weekend due to Monday being Labor Day. If FD is announced, but doesn't start until the 25th, then we may opt to go that weekend, since the money saved from FD would exceed the difference in the flight cost. If it is a room only discount, we will probably stick with our original dates, since we are planning on staying at a Value.

Unfortunately, I'm in grad school and am at an internship on Tuesdays and Thursdays (hence the short trip) and classes will resume in September, which prevents us from pushing our dates back further.

everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Our dates are firm (Aug 14-22) but we are not waiting on FD, just an AP discount We don't do the DDP, but with the price increases, is it still a "value" to hold out for FD as opposed to booking with a room only discount (assuming they are available) and adding the DDP? Never ran the numbers, just curious. I'm guessing if people are willing to cancel their plans if there's no FD then it's still a value....
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Nutbean
Mouseketeer

Our schedules are pretty flexible and we haven't booked airfare yet, so we will switch dates (currently booked Sept 10-18) to get FD if it is offered.

However, since I would ideally prefer to go to DW in the first week of December to see all the Christmas decorations, if they do not offer a good discount in late summer, we will go then.

Or not at all. Universal is looking pretty good to me right now actually.
Nutbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
IhrkeFamily
Mouseketeer

We are staying with our dates no matter what. Airfare is booked and the kids start school two days after we get back. Wish we could be more flexible, but that's the way it goes with kids!

1997 - Stayed with sister who was CM
1997 - Stayed with sister, 1st time with fiance (now husband!)
2000 - Coronado Springs
2002 - All Star Music
2004 - All Star Movies
2005 - All Star Movies
2008 - All Star Movies
2009 - All Star Movies
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
IhrkeFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Team Bunch
Mouseketeer

We have not booked yet, have been waiting for free dining to be announced. My fear is that there will be free dining in September only and only mods or nicer. We will be out of luck then.
Team Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Kitikat
Mouseketeer

We are not booked as we are holding out for Free Dining. If there is none we just won't go this yr.
Kathie (IrishDadx4's Wife) Commando #57
ME DH DD 22yr DS 19yr(Our Marine) DS 15yr DD 12yr

8/09 Pop FD
12/09 ASMu FQSD {DAP}
8/10 POP taking Nana FD
12/10 POP 20th anniversary trip & PCCruise 2.0
8/11 FREE Dinning!!
8/12 Free Dinning Again!!
8/13 Free Dinning Pin Again!!
Kitikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Won't shift my dates because we're running right into the start of the school year as it is plus we've purchased airfare so our dates are set.

What we might do, depending on the discount and if we acquire any traveling companions, is change our room or resort. We're booked at AoA LM so there won't be any discounts for that, especially since they are sold out already for the week we are there. Depending on how much it is we may go to Pop, upgrade to a suite at AoA or go to a mod if the discount is worthwhile.

We've budgeted full price but really hoping we can get something back even though it likely will just go back into Walt's pocket anyways.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm76 View Post
Our dates are firm (Aug 14-22) but we are not waiting on FD, just an AP discount We don't do the DDP, but with the price increases, is it still a "value" to hold out for FD as opposed to booking with a room only discount (assuming they are available) and adding the DDP? Never ran the numbers, just curious. I'm guessing if people are willing to cancel their plans if there's no FD then it's still a value....
Depends on the number of people in your room and the resort.
Two people in a deluxe resort - well a 30% off room discount is probably better than FD.

Five people in a mod (like we were, with 4 being disney "adults") then FD is definately the better discount. Last time we went the discount would have been $50 for Room only. No way I could have fed my family for $50 a day! Everyone needs to run the numbers for their own situation and see what's the better deal.

That being said, we still would have gone with a room only discount and paid OOP for food and adjusted where we ate. Less TS and less buffets, more breakfasts in room, etc.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
DESKRoberts
Earning My Ears

Currently, we are booked at AoA in a LM room. We plan to do DDP regardless, but if FD comes out, we will upgrade to POR for the same price as we are currently paying now. We can't change our dates because we have already purchased airfare, but we will change resorts. We wanted to stay at POR anyway, but it is just a bit out of our price range with out FD.

1994- Offsite; 2004- ASMu; 2006- Offsite; 2012- POR; 2013- POR; 2014- CBR

DESKRoberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Depends on the number of people in your room and the resort.
Two people in a deluxe resort - well a 30% off room discount is probably better than FD.

Five people in a mod (like we were, with 4 being disney "adults") then FD is definately the better discount. Last time we went the discount would have been $50 for Room only. No way I could have fed my family for $50 a day! Everyone needs to run the numbers for their own situation and see what's the better deal.

That being said, we still would have gone with a room only discount and paid OOP for food and adjusted where we ate. Less TS and less buffets, more breakfasts in room, etc.
Thanks! That makes sense. Our kids are still young, one under 3, so I forget that as they get older they get more expensive
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
buzzmom12
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to make sure you all saw there is another thread with fd dates looks like it is not starting until Sept.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
honkytonkmama
Mouseketeer

I wish we could shift our dates, but our oldest starts school sept 3rd. ugh
Aug 2015 - off site???
honkytonkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
passthepixiedust
DIS Veteran

We can't switch our dates (aug 21- sept 3) as plane tickets are purchased, but may do the unthinkable and cancel our disney reservation and stay offsite. We may also consider using it as a reason to not spend entire trip at Disney and do some other Florida attractions.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
2kidsForMe
Dreams of being a Guest without a Bag

Our dates are set in stone, August 17 to 26. Airfare is purchased and the kids start back to school on the 28th. I am keeping fingers crossed for a room only discount, or free dining. Anything really....

Nov "13 Pop & ASSP/Aug '13 POR/July '13 ASMo/April '13 Aulani/Nov '12 CSR/Jun '12 poly/Feb '12 DLR/Aug '11 CBR & Pop/Jan '11 ASMu/Aug '10 ASMu/Jan '10 FW/Aug '09 FW/Jan '09 ASMu/Aug '08 CSR/Feb '08 offsite/Aug '08 POR/April '08 FW/Oct '07 FW/May '05 WL/Dec '04 & 11/03 offsite/Nov '01 DTD/Aug '99 EuroDisney
2kidsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: