Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #31
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

I use to work drive through and it was timed. So with a car with one big order is faster the having four different orders in the same car. If they each came on there own then the car would leave and a new time would start for the next car. If u have never worked fast food r drive through u have no idea how it works.
ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #32
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Why? Just because they complained? No one is allowed to complain about their job?
Not on the Dis... it is the only place where making any complaints about your job means you should leave it.

The drive thru is meant to be fast. So don't get in it if you have a huge and difficult order or do not know what you want. You are holding up the people behind you. Go inside.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Lisaren
Mouseketeer

If you work at a drive thru do not say "Hello" and then nothing else. Sometimes they are ready to take the order and sometimes they are not. I can't see you, so I don't know if you are ready or not from "Hello". Please say "can I take your order" when you are ready to take the order and say nothing except maybe "one moment please" before that.
Lisaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #34
Topper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
Sorry, there was a long thread on here not too long ago (when I was still lurking) that went on for pages and pages with people insisting that a car could not order for more than 2 people (one payment) at a time. That if a family wanted to order, they always had to go inside.
This is a different thread. Nothing was mentioned about the situation from the other thread. You inferred it.

Quote:
And no, I won't reconsider my smilie face. Most of her suggestions are flat out ridiculous. Do not open the door? It does not take any longer to open a door than it does to roll down a window. My fuse blew out a few weeks ago right before I ordered. I opened my door. It did not impact the time of service at all.
The smiley face was directed at the one item I took you to task for. I still find it in poor taste.

:::snip::::

Quote:
I stand by my opinion that the OP does not belong in her job is these very minor things irritate her.
I find some of the items on her list to be a tad over the top/dramatic. but then again, I do not work her job.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #35
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Tongue-in-cheek, people!

The problem with a message board is, you can't always "get" the humor in which something is said. I found the OP to be funny, some of it true and some I hadn't thought of.

Sometimes around here people take stuff way too seriously. Lighten up!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
Can I get an Amen?! I come from New England where drive thru is supposed to be fast an efficient. Now I live in the south where people think the drive thru is gthe best place to order 25 special order happy meals and everyone around them should just wait. (there was a thread about this before). Where I come from, big orders have to go inside (and there is a sign that says so) and the line moves quickly. Down here its so slow it makes you want to pull your hair out.

There is DEFINITELY a regional difference in drive thru etiquette.
I've been in the south all my life, & I appreciate a speedy drive-thru experience as much as anyone. And I do agree w/ you that, if you have a large order or some kind of special order, you need to go inside.

However, one of the longest times I've ever spent in line at a drive-thru was at a Wendy's in Ohio.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 12 years) (DS, 4 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
The drive thru is meant to be fast. So don't get in it if you have a huge and difficult order or do not know what you want. You are holding up the people behind you. Go inside.
And here lies the difference of opinion. The drive thru is meant for convenience. Speed is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think drive thru. If you've ever seen the line at In N Out and you'd understand. If you have such a large order that it will hold up those behind you you will be asked to pull forward to wait.
If someone is in such a hurry that they can't bother to wait the 30 seconds it takes for the vehicle in front of them to restart or the 5 seconds it says to say no pickles then maybe *that* person should go inside. Or maybe stay home and order pizza. It'll go great with the chill pill they obviously need.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

On the other side of this coin, if you are the one working at the drive thru, please speak clearly so that I can understand what you are saying. Take the marbles out of your mouth, slow down and articulate. All too often, I get a bunch of noice that cannot be understood. That also slows down the entire process.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #39
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

I've had to open my car door before. During the winter, I don't have a garage and park outside, and sometimes my window gets frozen up and will not go down. Doesn't happen often, but I will still go through the drive-thru.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
Skywalker
Finds good homes for stray tags
Elevators freak me out
Have you seen my coolness?
If hell exists, it will be filled with spiders

Drive thrus are for convenience, not speed. At least I have never seen one that is labelled as some sort of Express Lane for the store, if there is then that is different.

Also, most people are in the drive thru lane nowadays. You want really quick service you park and go inside, lol.

I just don't get the being scolded for multiple orders. The day a place is irritated that I am giving them too much business is the day I don't return there.

I do understand the store is being timed on how quickly they move the vehicles along but, to be frank, thats not my problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #41
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

I disagree I think the drive through is for speed. Quick orders. I agree it is a regional thing. Where I grew up fast food places did not have those spots to pull over into. What drives me absolutely bonkers is the people who pull up to the order place and have NO idea what they want or what is on the menu. If it is your first time and you need 10 minutes to hem and haw over what you want, go inside. Do us all a favor and go INSIDE. Stand back away from the line and stare at the menu board and take as long as you like. But don't hold up everyone else. This also annoys me at the supermarket. When people get to the part where you have to pay and suddenly its a big surprise that they need their wallet out and need to pay!

It is my position that there should be separate lines at the grocery store and drive throughs for people that have their stuff together. Know what you want? Line to the right. Order, pay, move on. Idiots to the left please. Take all the time you need over thereeeeeee
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My pet peeve is with pharmacy drive thrus. If you have an expired card or there's a problem with filling the medication, please go inside rather than holding up the line for 20 minutes. This happens all the time at the Walgreen's pharmacy near our house.
I know these are problems because the pharmacy tech apologizes and explains the hold up in the line.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #43
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

Lol as far as knowing what you're going to order, what about those who stand in the long lines for food at Disneyland with the menu posted above them for 45 minutes and then get to the cashier and still have to think about what they're going to order?

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

This isn't meant for you OP but to many, many drive thru employees---if you can't wait until I finish ordering to start asking me any questions, maybe you shouldn't be working in the drive thru.

I hate, hate, HATE to be saying "I need a number 3. . . , and before I can finish the employee butts in and says "what kind of drink with that?" Or they start off by asking if you want cheese sticks or an apple pie or something.

Popeye's (is that regional? its a chicken place) is the world's worst about it. Before I can say "a 3 piece, mild, with cole slaw" they have asked me 5 questions.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

First of all, I think the OP is probably an AWESOME drive-thru operator. I love using the drive-thru because I know exactly what I want to order and I've seen a LOT of horrible employees working the drive-thru and only a small handful of really skilled workers. I loooooove it when I get a great employee and always comment on how awesome they are at working the drive-thru! I'm sure it can actually be a pretty stressful position keeping up with the orders coming through your headset while taking payment from another customer and talking at the same time. I'm sure it takes a lot of practice and patience.

Now, I totally agree with all of the scenarios mentioned in earlier posts. All of these things drive me nuts (except for the screaming kids in the car...not much can be done about that). I hate it when people order something, say a cheeseburger....no pickles, only mustard, no ketchup, extra onions, etc. Seriously, if you need to order something that customized, either make your own food or go inside to order. I grew up with the understanding that you order what is on the menu -- no customizations (that includes table service restaurants) unless there is an allergy. I'm not sure when it became so common to get a custom order for everything...just order what is offered and be done with it. If you don't like what is offered, don't order. Is it a sense of entitlement or what?

I don't mind if people take a minute to look over the menu, but if you have no idea what you are going to order you really should not be holding up the line for 2,3,4 minutes. If I don't know what I want to eat, I will go inside to view the menu.

I'm sure the drive-thru employees put up with a LOT from the customers. I can't imagine doing that job without pulling my hair out. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: