Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Are you a rule follower, bender, or breaker?

I often see threads on here about people not agreeing with new rules or policies. It seems the vast majority of posters very strictly adhere to all rules and policies everywhere at all times.

I despise rules and policies and always have. I prefer to think of them more as general guidelines.

I don't necessarily break a lot of rules, because I don't like consequences, but I'm definitely a "bender". Especially if the rule/policy makes no sense to me and no one can or will explain it, it just really chaps my hide.

Can't you imagine how much fun I was to raise!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Based on how many I get I guess I'm between a bender and a breaker....

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I'm rule follower, expect for a few minor things
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
I often see threads on here about people not agreeing with new rules or policies. It seems the vast majority of posters very strictly adhere to all rules and policies everywhere at all times.

I despise rules and policies and always have. I prefer to think of them more as general guidelines.

I don't necessarily break a lot of rules, because I don't like consequences, but I'm definitely a "bender". Especially if the rule/policy makes no sense to me and no one can or will explain it, it just really chaps my hide.

The rule people, the rule!

To answer your question, it depends on the rule and the consequences. Some I will break (don't go over 60MPH), some I will bend (you must have your paperwork turned in by 5pm), some I will follow (do not murder).
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
mom2girls1974
Mouseketeer

I have Asperger's (a form of Autism) I NEVER break rules, and it drives me crazy when others do, though I have learned to keep my mouth shut about it and just ruminate about it in my own head LOL....
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

I'm a rule follower and it has caused some issues. Every once in a while I will bend a rule and then feel really guilty. Even for small things. I see people around me breaking rules all the times and sometimes I wish I could be like that, but it's just not in my make up.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:

gotta love people who think the rules don't apply to them.

CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I follow rules and the question for those that see rules as just "guidelines", how do you view laws?
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am mostly a rule follower while they are in place. If I don't agree with a rule or policy, I will investigate why the rule was implemented to see if it makes sense for the group. Then if I still disagree, I will follow the proper channels to work to have it changed.

What I won't do is just decide I don't have to follow the rule because I don't agree with it. Self-centered people who think they are above the rules, that they can pick and choose what they adhere to, absolutely drive me crazy.

They only time I would consider breaking a rule is if it would most likely end up harming somebody. For instance, somebody at work implementing a rule when they had no idea of the process and the rule would actually cause bodily harm. My other exception is the speed limit. I tend to drive a bit fast.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

T.
It's one of the minor rules I break LOL
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

If I think a rule is unfair, I'll work within the system to change it.

Unless and until that happens, I obey the rules, and I'm teaching my kids-- and those I teach-- to do the same.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

To answer your question, it depends on the rule and the consequences. Some I will break (don't go over 60MPH), some I will bend (you must have your paperwork turned in by 5pm), some I will follow (do not murder).
Excellent points!

My son is a rule follower to the nth degree. My Mom was like that, she worked for the govt and WARNED me to NEVER apply for the military or any govt agency. I'd be out of there with the quickness!

I've worked in the broadcasting field for over 30 years and prefer it because rules are BENT here and I exist better in this kind of atmosphere. Of course there are guidelines but even the top guys bend them. I made the mistake of temping at a bank once.... ... the real world is NOT for me!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
MagicallyDelicious
Mouseketeer

Follower, and it drives my husband nuts.

My local grocery store will often shift people with full baskets over to the '15 items and under' lane, and it makes my skin crawl to stand there with a full basket. It never fails - someone will then get behind me with ten items, and I can't help but to explain to a complete stranger why I'm in that lane.

The funny thing is, I broke tons and tons of rules in high school. I was not a great teenager. I guess my conscience is making up for it now.
MagicallyDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Acklander
DIS Veteran

For the most part, I'm a rule follower, but am a big believer of gray area. When I break a rule I first think of my motivation behind breaking the rule, concequences for breaking the rule and proceed accordingly. If the speed limit is 60mph, you can usually find me going 60 miles an hour. If I'm heading to the hospital with a bleeding child that needs stitches, I'm going to drive faster but will accept the ticket if I get stopped (willing to accept the consequences for breaking the rule in exchange for getting to the hospital faster). If others around me are speeding? I don't worry about it as I realize I'm an oddball in following the speed limit as posted and Im big on minding my own business.
That being said, I'm also a free spirit so will live my life in a way that I don't have as many rules to worry about. Example: I won't live in a place with a homeowners assoc with a bunch of rules and have spent the bulk of my adult life self employed so I can create many of my own rules.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

Oh yes, I am a rule follower. I am 61 years old and have always been one to follow the rules, even when I was a teenager.
antmaril is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: