Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Nose cauterization?

My son has been having near constant nose bleeds for over a week now. By near constant, I mean he'll have a nosebleed that last 3 or 4 hours, it finally starts and then 30 minutes he gets another. They're minor nosebleeds, not gushing, but he can't go to school because they don't let them attend class when they're actually bleeding. Can't say I blame them, but it's annoying to have him miss so much school. The nosebleeds are definitely allergy related.

Anyway, obviously we want this to stop. Allergist didn't help, pediatrician said not to bother coming in we need an ENT, so we have that appointment tomorrow. Both the pediatrician and the allergist said it should be cauterized.

Does anyone have any experience with nose cauterization? I watched some videos on youtube and it seems like it's not a big deal. My biggest question is whether they'll be able to do it right then and there. I'm worried we'll go in and be told that we need to make another appointment to get it done. I think we'll both go a little crazy if they say that.

I hope people can tell me about their experiences and what to expect.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
My son has been having near constant nose bleeds for over a week now. By near constant, I mean he'll have a nosebleed that last 3 or 4 hours, it finally starts and then 30 minutes he gets another. They're minor nosebleeds, not gushing, but he can't go to school because they don't let them attend class when they're actually bleeding. Can't say I blame them, but it's annoying to have him miss so much school. The nosebleeds are definitely allergy related.

Anyway, obviously we want this to stop. Allergist didn't help, pediatrician said not to bother coming in we need an ENT, so we have that appointment tomorrow. Both the pediatrician and the allergist said it should be cauterized.

Does anyone have any experience with nose cauterization? I watched some videos on youtube and it seems like it's not a big deal. My biggest question is whether they'll be able to do it right then and there. I'm worried we'll go in and be told that we need to make another appointment to get it done. I think we'll both go a little crazy if they say that.

I hope people can tell me about their experiences and what to expect.
I had it done when I was about 17 or so. Same thing, persistent nose bleeds. I really don't remember if it was done the first visit I had at the ENT clinic or not, but I think it was.

The only problem (well, not really a problem) I had afterward was that I couldn't sniff, blow, or sneeze (yeah, try and stop that!) for 2 weeks afterward. I had to put antibiotic cream in my nose (using a q-tip) 3 or 4 times a day.

Since then, I've had no problems.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

I've had a nose cauterization done in the ENTs office when I complained about nose bleeds. Make sure you get some saline gel and some qtips to constantly keep that area moist as it's pretty uncomfortable at first.

Does your son take a nasal spray for allerigies? Some of the nasal sprays cause me nose bleeds and some don't. I also use saline nasal mist everyday to help keep the nose area moist and reduce nose bleeds.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

How on earth am I supposed to keep someone with severe allergies from sneezing during pollen season?
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: