Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

Just got here today!

We arrived at DLR today at 5 this evening! We immediately checked into the Disneyland Hotel and got a room with a view of DTD, which is really cool with all of the holiday lights. We got settled in and headed to DTD to walk around and check it out. It was super-packed! I guess it is a Sunday of a holiday weekend but I was a still surprised how busy it was. The Frozen themed ice rink is cute but really small and there are some small huts next to the ice rink selling goods and food items. We really wanted to skate but the times are in 1.5 hour chunks and it's $17 per adult!! We saw Frozen the other day and it was fantastic! One of my favorites now!

We had a reservation at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, it was PACKED! We got the southern cheese bread appetizer. I got the fried chicken with Mac and cheese and bacon-braised greens. It was very tasty! My DD11, got a turducken special (thanksgiving menu) with garlic mash and greens, it was really dry. My DH got the Mahi-Mahi special (thanksgiving menu) and he said it was really dry as well, like it was under a heat lamp too long. Nothing was very warm when we got our meals. The highlight of the meal was the Double Chocolate Bread Pudding Soufflé, it was awesome and huge! I think we would have had a better meal if it wasn't sooo busy!

Tomorrow we will be doing CA for early entry, hopefully I will have time to post some more. Please LMK if you have any questions! Until tomorrow!

alaskanmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

We are currently sitting at the pool (DD11 is swimming) watching and listening to the fireworks while waiting for our laundry to dry. A nice end to our first night!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
disneydeb64
Got My Ears, Thank You : )

Sounds great so far Have a great time!!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
kailuagirl
DIS Veteran

Hopefully the crowds will leave tonight Have a great time and please keep us posted on how the crowds are. This is my favorite week to go and we couldn't go now and we had to go in Oct as we were in the area for a wedding. But plan to go back next year
kailuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I'm hoping the crowds will be leaving soon, fingers crossed! Thanks for reading! BTW, I ❤the Disneyland Hotel!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmommy View Post
We arrived at DLR today at 5 this evening! We immediately checked into the Disneyland Hotel and got a room with a view of DTD, which is really cool with all of the holiday lights. We got settled in and headed to DTD to walk around and check it out. It was super-packed! I guess it is a Sunday of a holiday weekend but I was a still surprised how busy it was. The Frozen themed ice rink is cute but really small and there are some small huts next to the ice rink selling goods and food items. We really wanted to skate but the times are in 1.5 hour chunks and it's $17 per adult!! We saw Frozen the other day and it was fantastic! One of my favorites now!

We had a reservation at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, it was PACKED! We got the southern cheese bread appetizer. I got the fried chicken with Mac and cheese and bacon-braised greens. It was very tasty! My DD11, got a turducken special (thanksgiving menu) with garlic mash and greens, it was really dry. My DH got the Mahi-Mahi special (thanksgiving menu) and he said it was really dry as well, like it was under a heat lamp too long. Nothing was very warm when we got our meals. The highlight of the meal was the Double Chocolate Bread Pudding Soufflé, it was awesome and huge! I think we would have had a better meal if it wasn't sooo busy!

Tomorrow we will be doing CA for early entry, hopefully I will have time to post some more. Please LMK if you have any questions! Until tomorrow!
The huts near the ice rink and Earl of Sandwich are called "chalets" by Disney to enhance/support their whole "Winter Village" concept in Downtown Disney (which is 100% better than the Village they had going on last year). I took a bunch of photos of the chalets and menus and all of that on 11/15. Apparently the Ghirardelli chalet is giving out samples of peppermint bark, just as the Ghirardelli in DCA is doing.

You just missed Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck! One of our DIS'ers in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread told us about her A-List celebrity sighting today -- she saw Ben and Jen outside the Grand Californian Hotel, about to leave. They must have been in the parks this weekend. I was actually shocked that they'd be there on a holiday weekend, as the major celebrities usually like to go to the parks on weekdays when they think it will be less crowded (a.k.a. fewer people to recognize them).

Keep watch for any other A-Listers who may be hanging around the parks on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I've seen celebrities on my December trips, in the early to mid-week.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
chai
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
You just missed Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck! One of our DIS'ers in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread told us about her A-List celebrity sighting today -- she saw Ben and Jen outside the Grand Californian Hotel, about to leave. They must have been in the parks this weekend.
We spent 10 hours at DCA today (27 rides/shows!) and never saw them. Genie (Aladdin show) did do a Ben Affleck joke, though.
We Disneyland! ~ several trips in the 1980's with family ~ HS Grad 1986 ~ Aug 1990 Honeymoon ~ Oct 2005 first trip with kids ~ Oct 2006 ~ March 2008 ~ Oct 2009 Family Reunion ~ Nov/Dec 2011 ~ Dec 2013!!!
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

I don't look for "celebrities"

~~ Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose ~~ Janis

Last edited by Gisele; 12-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

Good Morning! We are almost on RSR! Only about a 15 minute wait after park opening! The Carsland decorations are really cool. I especially like the hubcap Christmas tree and the air filter wreaths and garland. We are going to try to get a fast pass for RSR this evening to do it in the dark! Opening is pretty crowded this morning, similar to when we were here in May last year. Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmommy
Good Morning! We are almost on RSR! Only about a 15 minute wait after park opening! The Carsland decorations are really cool. I especially like the hubcap Christmas tree and the air filter wreaths and garland. We are going to try to get a fast pass for RSR this evening to do it in the dark! Opening is pretty crowded this morning, similar to when we were here in May last year. Hope everyone has a great day!
Have a blast man! My brain is still waking up! Lol
Say hello to the pirates for me please.

~~ Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose ~~ Janis
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisele View Post
Have a blast man! My brain is still waking up! Lol Say hello to the pirates for me please.
Almost on TSMM, about a 15-20 minute wait currently. CA just opened to everyone and lots of people are coming in. After this we are headed to Soarin and getting a FP for the AP WOC tonight.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Hope you have a great time!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi there! We decided to park hop to see how DL was today. It's pretty busy! We are waiting to get in Star Tours with a 20 minute posted wait. I think it will take longer. I'm hoping these crowds are leftover from the holiday weekend and will leave soon! 😜 I think we will probably do Cafe Orleans for lunch.

I went and got the WOC AP fast pass today and got my ornament! Very excited!

Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

We have ridden Star Tours and my daughter got to be the Rebel spy! We ride Pirates as well! We ate lunch at Rancho Del Zocalo, it was pretty good. Now we are stuck on Indiana Jones in the arrow shooting room....... Park is fairly busy, we are going to hit Hm next if we ever get off this ride!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Hope you all have a great time!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: